or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Can't get to Nationals

Can't get to Nationals

post #1 of 5
A friend and I started a chess team 2 years ago at our school and have won the State Championship two years in a row. We are planning to compete in the National Scholastic Tournament in Milwaukee, but our school will not support us. We are trying to find sponsorships or get donations to help pay for the trip because we are not able to pay for it without help. Does anyone have any ideas as to what we can/should do to when it comes to this?

Help is greatly appreciated
post #2 of 5
First of all, congratulations. Winning anything at the state level 2 years in a row is a pretty big achievement. Which state did you win the championship in, and what grade level is this?

I'm kind of surprised that you are not receiving any support from the school after having such success not once, but twice.

Back when I was in high school, clubs did fundraising to finance various trips and expenses, I'm not sure how feasible this is for you. We really need some more information about your location before being able to make suggestions.
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran441
First of all, congratulations. Winning anything at the state level 2 years in a row is a pretty big achievement. Which state did you win the championship in, and what grade level is this?

I'm kind of surprised that you are not receiving any support from the school after having such success not once, but twice.

Back when I was in high school, clubs did fundraising to finance various trips and expenses, I'm not sure how feasible this is for you. We really need some more information about your location before being able to make suggestions.

We won it in Kansas and we are juniors. We were very dissappointed and shocked, when the school told us that they would not support us. There were no faculty members that stepped up as a sponsor either so we were pretty much left for dead. Chess gives a very stereotypical image of nerdy kids, but we are just the opposite. My friend is a sponsored skateboarder and I play football, soccer, track and crosscountry and compete very well at them. It just so happens that we enjoy chess and have gotten good at it. We are the captains of the team and are very passionate about it so we have organized our teams tournament schedule and taken the role as coaches along as team members. We werent going to let our school slow us down. Now, after earning the chance to go to Nationals and watching our dreams being crushed because no one here has taken their time to help us really hurts. We can't fundraise through the school and local businesses aren't to keen on supporting a chess team.

Does that help at all? thanks for the comment
post #4 of 5
Do you have a local paper that wrote about your victory at the State Championship? Even if they didn't write about it, a letter to the editor explaining your problem might yield some positive results. It doesn't hurt to reach out to the community and explain how the school system isn't supporting you.

If you send a letter to the editor or get an article written, let some local television news stations know about it as well with an email of the article or letter. You might be able to get some press coverage that way and maybe attract a local business to sponsor you.
post #5 of 5
Thanks for the advice, tommorow we will make use of it!

Have a good night
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Can't get to Nationals