or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Coldplay and Gwyneth Paltrow = Mediocrity

Coldplay and Gwyneth Paltrow = Mediocrity - Page 2

post #41 of 50
Don't tell him that. He might call you an idiot, and a kid that goes to a second-tier college.
'L'enfer, c'est les autres' - JPS
post #42 of 50
There are, however, plenty of indie groups that make some undeniably polished pop songs.

I think a good example would be "Swimmers" by Broken Social Scene. I mean it's just a damn well made, well produced, borderline sugary pop song.

If Michelle Branch recorded it, it'd probably all over the radio and defined as "vapid pop"

I don't get why people get so worked up about others music choices. Listen to what you like and don't worry about others is my opinion.

I've got music I bought when I was 11 (Bon Jovi - New Jersey comes to mind) that I would never buy today given my current musical tastes, but I still listen to it and enjoy it!
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
post #43 of 50
Some of my favorite music is by a group called Mew. They are indie, pop, their music is well produced (I guess that is what "Polished" imply) but still sounds FAR from any Spears or Madonna stuff.

Give them a twirl if you get a chance. Unfortunetly they are not in the US iTMS, but you can get your 30 seconds from the danish store.

For an extreme case of well polished indie check out Ulrich Schnauss.

And here is an outragous statement: My Bloody Valentines "Loveless" was VERY polished for its days.
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
post #44 of 50
Quote:
Originally posted by Anders
For an extreme case of well polished indie check out Ulrich Schnauss.

And here is an outragous statement: My Bloody Valentines "Loveless" was VERY polished for its days.

Loveless is my number one album of all time. The live experience was insane.

Ulrich Schnauss or Guitar, Lali Puna, Styrofoam ... pretty much anything on Morr Music, really, is beautifully polished indie. I'd definitely call the latest Styrofoam album 'pop'.
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
post #45 of 50
Quote:
Originally posted by Flounder
[B]There are, however, plenty of indie groups that make some undeniably polished pop songs.

I think a good example would be "Swimmers" by Broken Social Scene. I mean it's just a damn well made, well produced, borderline sugary pop song.[B]

When you're an indie-supergroup, pop stardom is a step away. Well ... at least in Canada.
post #46 of 50
Quote:
Originally posted by Gene Clean
I'm the guy that pointed out that you have a logical fallacy wrt to pop and polish.

The reason why your posts have no substance is because they are so obviously wrong. Either that, or you don't understand the meaning of "polished;" if I had used "meticulous," though, I doubt you would have changed your course. Anyhow, forgive me if I didn't define that ahead of time -- I figured that anyone so deeply affected by music must be able to understand that without the proper treatment, even a recording of Pavarotti can sound terrible. That's production value, which is part of the idea of a recording being "polished." I figured that much should make make sense on the most basic level. Everyone else seemed to get it.

The rest is a little bit more abstract, but I think the analogies to the physical world are obvious enough that I shouldn't have to explain myself. If pop music were a painting, it would be color by number. Now, it would be a very meticulously rendered color by number, but in the end it would still be color by number. That's the idea of "polished." Reiterating what someone else said, if it were that easy to make pop, everyone would be doing it. Despite is formulaic simplicity, there must still be a degree of effort required to produce radio-ready pop music. That effort is the polishing.

As for my "charade of insults," whatever that's supposed to mean, I am not fond of people who are either too smug or too naive (or both) to present any opinion aside from a snide retort. The "2nd tier college" bit is part of an observation that this certain demographic has a surplus of bitterness, yet lacks quite enough reason or humility to accept the possibility of losing an argument, and hence will approach any debate in a method a lot like the way you have.

Sue me for generalizing.
Cat: the other white meat
Cat: the other white meat
post #47 of 50
Quote:
Originally posted by audiopollution
Loveless is my number one album of all time. The live experience was insane.

Ulrich Schnauss or Guitar, Lali Puna, Styrofoam ... pretty much anything on Morr Music, really, is beautifully polished indie. I'd definitely call the latest Styrofoam album 'pop'.

Wow. My long lost candian twin (although with birthdays three months apart and I am not sure about the age).

I agree on all points. I was luckily enough to catch MBVs Loveless tour as well (and a couple of days later Sonic Youth on their Dirty tour at the same venue. BEst week ever)

Morr Music do have excellent artist. And they really bridged the gab for me with their Slowdive "tribute" thing (the bridge between guitar based early 90 stuff and current electronic based stuff).
post #48 of 50
Quote:
Originally posted by ShawnJ
NME for chrissake?

They're nothing but a bunch of gushing fanboys and girls.

If you're going to err, at least err on the side of pretentiousness ala Pitchfork Media.

Hey what can you expect from Hong Kong? Not too much choice.

NME is not bad, really. I got into a lot of great British acts there, and a few good American ones, like LCD Soundsystem. You just have to know how to read it to suit your tastes. And get the free CD and pick the stuff you like out of it.

I don't claim to be bleeding edge, but I've got more of an edge reading NME than the average American who reads Rolling Stone to stay in touch!

Sorry to hear that you broke up with the cute Asian girl, by the way. Hope it wasn't your fault.

Cheers.
post #49 of 50
Quote:
Originally posted by audiopollution
When you're an indie-supergroup, pop stardom is a step away. Well ... at least in Canada.

Touche

How many "official" members does the band have anyways? Like 12 or something? Unofficially isn't it more like 20?
post #50 of 50
Quote:
Originally posted by Splinemodel
A lot of Princeton-townboy-BS

No one knew what you meant by polished. Anders guesses (after all that time) that you meant "production" - but he wasn't 100% sure. Maybe you should start writing with a dictionary open next time. Or maybe 2-nd tier college "kids" don't understand your elitist BS. But 1-tier colleges don't teach you how to have good taste. When you have bad taste, anything is "polished", even Britney Spears.

Wrt to knowing what I'm talking about, I'm sad to inform you that you are one of the people that claims to be working with Linux all the time, yet also claims that you need knowledge of C to *install* SuSE. When I gave you a link to a step-by-step graphical installation of SuSE (without the need for C!) you just simply resorted to insulting me, again. As you do in this thread (idiot, 2-nd tier college kid, etc). That's your modus operandi, that's how you function. You insult people because they have a different opinion. You also insult people that tell you what you don't want to hear: that you don't know what you're talking about.

If you had any idea what garbage pop is, you would not call it polished. But you're too in love with that type of music to be rational about its "polish" (or lack there of) to have an objective opinion. You think that your precious 1-tier college that you so proudly tout around as some type of an "argument" (while being a stereotypical honcho of sorts) gives you authority to talk about pop, polish, and even C and Linux, yet you fail to understand that all you're doing, even in this last post of yours, is insulting people and claiming that anybody that wasn't your average privileged kid, alias, The Loser That Finished College due to fatherly "intervention" is also somebody that can't argue and is an indie music lover.

It smells of racism, Pancho. Now leave me alone. Or continue this charade of yours using PM.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Coldplay and Gwyneth Paltrow = Mediocrity