or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Supersize me with those healthy french fries

Supersize me with those healthy french fries - Page 2

post #41 of 43
Quote:
Originally posted by gregmightdothat
Actually, that study pointed to an increase in heart disease, which is a result of high cholesterol. Assuming that one gets their cholesterol checked up every few years, and it's reasonable, than trans fats are fine for them.

If your cholesterol levels ARE high, then obviously you need to avoid trans fats, saturated fats, etc, until you get them under control.

By the way, that's a terrible analogy.

That was the point! Rageous was talking about regular obesity which isn´t the same as the problem with saturated fat, TFAs and cholesterol. You can be thin because of an energy balanced diet but have cloghed veins. Obesity is a energy balance problem. Heart problems are (mostly) a result of the types of fat you eat.
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
post #42 of 43
Quote:
Originally posted by Anders
That was the point! Rageous was talking about regular obesity which isn´t the same as the problem with saturated fat, TFAs and cholesterol. You can be thin because of an energy balanced diet but have cloghed veins. Obesity is a energy balance problem. Heart problems are (mostly) a result of the types of fat you eat.

Right, but it's slightly deeper than that. Unsaturated fats actually lower your cholesterol. Additionally, your response to trans fats and saturated fats is largely genetic.

People with high cholesterol need to avoid trans fats. Most people don't have to worry.
post #43 of 43
Quote:
Originally posted by user23
Just because it is merely a guideline doesn't negate the dangers of TFA's.

If TFA's weren't bad for the health, then the FDA would't be recommending that they *only* make up <1% of daily energy intake.

Exactly. But just because it's a guideline doesn't prove any dangers of TFA's. Other people (BRussell) brought up actual studies and such which contributed to the discussion. A guideline is third-hand, meaningless information.

Quote:

btw: it's a guideline because in the United States, we have a so-called Democracy with a free people who can't be ordered/commanded to eat well. Were we a Fascist Dictatorship, then I'm sure it would be a Mandate.

You're right. I'm sure Mussolini spent most of his time, in fact, mandating that margarine be made illegal.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Supersize me with those healthy french fries