or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › No Creation Date

No Creation Date

post #1 of 6
I was re-organizing my digital photos and noticed that a number of the folder I have them stored in do NOT have a creation date in the GetInfo window, just a series of dashes.

Is there a way to fix this and/or put a date in? The digital files in the folders all have creation dates it's just the folders that don't have a creation date.

Thanks,
Doug
post #2 of 6
You can use File Buddy to set creation dates individually or software called a better finder attributes for multiple (not sure if the latter just works on files):

http://www.publicspace.net/ABetterFi...tes/index.html
post #3 of 6
Marvin,
Thanks for the info. This is getting curiouser and curiouser. Looking through some of the digital files in one of the folders without a creation date I find a few files without creation dates. However if I open the file with GraphicConverter it shows the exact creation date and time. Closing the file and looking at the GetInfo window and it does not show the creation date or time.

Any idea what is causing the GetInfo not to show the creation date? Is this some kind of prebinding issue or something?

Thanks,
Doug
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally posted by Douglas Holley
Marvin,
Thanks for the info. This is getting curiouser and curiouser. Looking through some of the digital files in one of the folders without a creation date I find a few files without creation dates. However if I open the file with GraphicConverter it shows the exact creation date and time. Closing the file and looking at the GetInfo window and it does not show the creation date or time.

Any idea what is causing the GetInfo not to show the creation date? Is this some kind of prebinding issue or something?

Thanks,
Doug

Prebinding is used to help launch apps faster by computing the addresses for symbols imported by a shared library or application before they are used. I don't know why the Finder isn't showing the info but the Finder isn't a very reliable application for reading file information. When reading/writing file permissions, the Finder can get the info wrong quite often. The terminal works much better. Sometimes relaunching the Finder is enough by alt-right-clicking the icon or by force-quitting it.

I wonder if the Finder is maybe looking in a different place. It might only search Spotlight metadata now, which apps like GraphicConverter might not be doing. Forcing Spotlight to reindex could work but it will likely take a while.
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally posted by Douglas Holley
Marvin,

Thanks,
Doug

I think Finder is not reading the XIF data. If you import the photos into iPhoto and then export them I bet you will get the creation dates.
--Johnny
--Johnny
post #6 of 6
You are right Lundy, I exported a file from iPhoto and it has the creation date. Upon playing around some more I have found out that my current digital camera, Fuji F10, does not show creation dates on any folders dragged to the desktop and none of the digital files has a creation date either.

It's strange because my old camera, Fuji A303, showed creation dates on both folders and files when dragged to the desktop. I've got to somehow go back and add creation dates to 14 folders and all the files contained therein since i got the Fuji F10. : (

Doug
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Genius Bar
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › No Creation Date