or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › What came first? Chicken or egg?

What came first? Chicken or egg?

post #1 of 48
Please list your reasoning and ideas as to why you believe either the chicken or the chicken egg came first.

*This thread is not about evolution vs./ Id.*

This thread is solely for the discussion of your ideas concerning the title of this thread.

You may also bring into the discussion your ideas regarding seeds and flowers.

What came first? A Dandelion or a dandelion seed?

I welcome your thoughts,

Fellowship
May the peace of the Lord be with you always

Share your smile, Have respect for others, and be loving to all peoples

Paul in Athens: Acts 17 : 16-34

post #2 of 48
Well, if you mean literally a chicken, the answer is 'the egg', because there were many egg-laying creatures that came before the chicken.
post #3 of 48
I think a better question is what tastes better, what, at least the answer doesn't end up in a paradox.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
post #4 of 48
I've seen evidence this week that a bunny (possibly even a chocolate bunny) produces eggs. I'm confused as to why you think a chicken is involved at all? And speaking of chicken, what part is the "nugget"?
You can never justify the cost of building a bridge by counting the number of people swimming across the river.
You can never justify the cost of building a bridge by counting the number of people swimming across the river.
post #5 of 48
Heh, the way to actually answer the question was eliminated from discussion. Ah well.

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
post #6 of 48
I think the real question would be, which came first the Chicken or the Chicken Egg.

I'm fairly sure eggs of other types (hard shell or not!) existed long before the modern chicken.
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
post #7 of 48
Let me try to circumvent the rules.

The egg came first. An non-chicken animal layed an egg that contained a foster that via micro-evolution (which is permitted under theories that explains some of the proved biological processes without being part of the evolution theory tradition) varied enough from its parents to become the the first chicken.

Walking a fine line...
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
post #8 of 48
IIIIII reckon Chicken v0.9b laid an egg from which hatched Chicken v1.0.
meh
meh
post #9 of 48
Egg which clearly develops into a chicken -- it is in the egg the phenotypic outcome of the chicken is mostly decided -- environmental factors after the egg matter, but not as much...
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
post #10 of 48
Neither. The chicken couldn't get it up.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #11 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by BR
Neither. The chicken couldn't get it up.

Because the chicken ain't got it.
post #12 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by Fellowship
Topic: What came first? Chicken or egg?

To get to the other side.
post #13 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by hardeeharhar
Because the chicken ain't got it.

Way to ruin a joke with facts. I'm surprised you didn't complain that eggs can't have orgasms. Please be sure to point out all of the factual inconsistencies with all jokes and humorous anectodes. You'll make a ton of friends that way.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #14 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by Voxapps
I've seen evidence this week that a bunny (possibly even a chocolate bunny) produces eggs. I'm confused as to why you think a chicken is involved at all? And speaking of chicken, what part is the "nugget"?

post #15 of 48
Quote:
Please list your reasoning and ideas as to why you believe either the chicken or the chicken egg came first.

This thread is solely for the discussion of your ideas concerning the title of this thread.

You may also bring into the discussion your ideas regarding seeds and flowers.

What came first? A Dandelion or a dandelion seed?

I welcome your thoughts,

Fellowship

Firstly its not a case of believing either the chicken or the egg came first.

Secondly, knowledge gained by accepting what hundreds of thousands of biologists have studied for their whole lives tells us that the Chicken came from a chicken-like line of ancestors, and that the chicken and its egg evo**ed together over time from a common ancestor.

Thirdly, you would probably already know what most of us here would know that, so why phrase the question so it rules out the answer?

Fourthly, I saw an article over at the-register the other week, which clearly described this problem and solved it, unfortunately, it has slipped beyond their archive limit, so no linky.

Fithly, Why didn't you tell us what you think before you engage us all in discussion?

five-and-a-halfly, sitting there all smug thinking that Satan has tricked us all isn't a good way to start a discussion.

Sixthly, happy Ishtar. Have a good weekend worshipping the moon.

Divine-seventhly. Actually just have a good weekend
post #16 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by BR
Way to ruin a joke with facts. I'm surprised you didn't complain that eggs can't have orgasms. Please be sure to point out all of the factual inconsistencies with all jokes and humorous anectodes. You'll make a ton of friends that way.

I am guessing you didn't realize that chickens were female...
post #17 of 48
Quote:

I think you misspelled "hen."
post #18 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by Voxapps
I think you misspelled "hen."

You are right.

I admit my error -- chicken is the common name of the species and not as I thought, the name of the female variety...

I guess I applied the bovine logic to chickens...
post #19 of 48
The real question should be:

What happens when you replace ordinary eggs in a cake recipe with Cadbury Creme Eggs.

post #20 of 48
This is one of the weirdest thread I've seen in a while.
post #21 of 48
Quote:

No, it's called I made a joke and didn't give a shit if it was female or not. And as said previously, chicken can refer to the species.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #22 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by BR
No, it's called I made a joke and didn't give a shit if it was female or not. And as said previously, chicken can refer to the species.

I don't quite understand your major malfunction... but whatever, if this is enough to make you angry, I sincerely apologize for "ruining" your joke.

post #23 of 48
The chicken and egg paradox is only tricky because we assume that the egg and the chicken are discrete units separate from each other.

Let's say at one time chickens gave live birth to chickens. But then there was some evolution where the chicken was born with a little egg on them to keep their feet warm. This worked so well that they were born with egg all over them to keep them warm all over. And then the egg, which was previously not edible, became edible, both keeping the chicken warm and feeding it.

The chicken morphed into the egg laying chicken piece by piece, just at about the same time giraffe's necks were getting longer.
post #24 of 48
Cheggin. From space.

Later, bifurcation. On account of peer pressure.

On the home planet, the question is "What abides, the cheggin?"
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #25 of 48
Quote:
What came first?

Who's on second, I don't know's on third. Ba dum ching!

Chicks? Eggs? Is there something we should know, Fellows? I've been expecting an announcement. Is there anything we can do to help? I could whip up a stick figure diagram if you like. Hassan would probably give a practical demonstration if you ask him nicely.

Come to think of it, Hassan would probably give a practical demonstration even if you didn't ask him nicely.........
Tomorrow shall be love for the loveless;
And for the lover, tomorrow shall be love.
post #26 of 48
Behold! My eggs!
post #27 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah
Behold! My eggs!

On second thoughts, maybe you should try adda for the demo.........
post #28 of 48
Hold my eggs, Bea!
post #29 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by crazychester
Who's on second, I don't know's on third. Ba dum ching!

Chicks? Eggs? Is there something we should know, Fellows? I've been expecting an announcement. Is there anything we can do to help? I could whip up a stick figure diagram if you like. Hassan would probably give a practical demonstration if you ask him nicely.

Come to think of it, Hassan would probably give a practical demonstration even if you didn't ask him nicely.........

Ha! Love your post

Close but no cigar!

Fellows

post #30 of 48
one of the kids has to be dale jr.

or shawn.

hassan will do nicely as a christian name in texas.

post #31 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by MarcUK

Fithly, Why didn't you tell us what you think before you engage us all in discussion?

five-and-a-halfly, sitting there all smug thinking that Satan has tricked us all isn't a good way to start a discussion.

Sixthly, happy Ishtar. Have a good weekend worshipping the moon.

Divine-seventhly. Actually just have a good weekend

HAHAHA! Love ya post bro,

I was hoping the Easter Bunny knew a thing or two about where all those eggs came from

Fellows

post #32 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by ShawnJ

or shawn.

Fellows

post #33 of 48
Hold up, hold up: does Dale have an announcement to make?

Like... does Fellows have some news?
post #34 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah
Hold up, hold up: does Dale have an announcement to make?

Like... does Fellows have some news?

yeah, this thread is an allegory for getting his missus Pregnant.

Good News Dale
post #35 of 48
Quote:
yeah, this thread is an allegory for getting his missus Pregnant.

Good News Dale

Not quite,,,,

Not yet,,,,,

Not that I am aware of!!

SERIOUSLY!

Fellows

post #36 of 48
Quote:
Not quite,,,,

Not yet,,,,,

Not that I am aware of!!

SERIOUSLY!

Fellows

Why Fellows, I do believe you're being a tease.

I think if it's a girl, you should call her Chester.
post #37 of 48
perhaps he got a chicken pregnant?
post #38 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by crazychester
Why Fellows, I do believe you're being a tease.

I think if it's a girl, you should call her Chester.

If its a boy, call it "Osiris Mithra Dionysus Marcus Fellowship"

If its a chicken call for help!
post #39 of 48
Quote:

Not trying to start a fight or derail the thread, but I can't answer the question without bringing in evolution. The whole reason that chicken vs. egg, considered in mutually exclusive, only-one-or-the-other terms, is such a classic question is that neither answer, chicken or egg, is very satifactory.

Evolutionary theory renders the question meaningless. Neither came first -- there's just a sequence of more and more chicken-like creatures. I suppose one could draw an arbitrary line and declare the contents of one particular egg in the sequence the Egg of the First Chicken, having been laid and hatched by some not-quite-fully-a-chicken parent, but what would be the point?

If one wishes to postulate sudden Divine Creation, any answer works -- although chicken first (either a male/female pair, or a born-fertilized female) makes more "sense" in that parental care of subsequent eggs is handily provide for. But egg (or eggs) first can work too -- God can just keep throwing around miracles at will to make sure the eggs hatch on their own and that the chicks get fed one way or another until they're ready to fend for themselves.
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
post #40 of 48
Quote:
perhaps he got a chicken pregnant?

In which case, the chicken came first. Is this the exception to the rule or should the question be "which came first, the egg or the giant mutant Texan chicken?"
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › What came first? Chicken or egg?