or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's Jobs tweaks his $9M glass cube
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's Jobs tweaks his $9M glass cube

post #1 of 44
Thread Starter 
Apple Computer chief executive Steve Jobs is reported to have been unhappy with some of the materials used to construct his $9 million glass cube outside the future home of one of the company's flagship retail stores in Midtown Manhattan.

As a result, changes are already being made to the structure, which remains shrouded by large black panels as it awaits a formal unveiling alongside the 20,000-square-foot location later this spring.

When workers began removing the black plywood panels from the cube last week, it looked as if construction was nearly complete. However, a report on ifoAppleStore explains the workers were instead swapping out sophisticated titanium hardware -- positioned between the glass panels -- because Jobs complained they were too conspicuous and interrupted the esthetic of the cube.

It's been reported that Jobs personally designed and paid for the 32-foot-by-32-foot hollow glass structure, which will mark the top floor entrance to the underground retail store at 767 Fifth Avenue between 58th and 59th streets. In fact, reports have also indicated that leasing arrangements for the store were finalized only after landlord Harry Macklowe promised the Apple CEO he could take his big $9 million cube with him at the end of the 20-year lease.

People who have interviewed for positions at the upcoming location say Apple is working to open the store and glass cube to the public by the end of May. The store may be unique in that -- in the city that never sleeps -- it could be the first retail location from Apple to operate 24-hours a day. Apple, however, has thus far declined to comment on the rumors.

post #2 of 44
From the Screaming Halibut: "s' crazy!"
post #3 of 44
Hmmm ... Borg like
G
Reply
G
Reply
post #4 of 44
You can tell there's no Mac related news when Appleinsider posts stories like this one.
post #5 of 44
Quote:
Originally posted by Timeline
Hmmm ... Borg like

Quote:
We are the Borg. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.

Long live iEverything.
1.83Ghz MacBook Pro
AMD Athalon 3400+ PC
Reply
1.83Ghz MacBook Pro
AMD Athalon 3400+ PC
Reply
post #6 of 44
Clear Macs on the horizon?
I got nothin'.
Reply
I got nothin'.
Reply
post #7 of 44
Quote:
Originally posted by AppleInsider
the workers were instead swapping out sophisticated titanium hardware -- positioned between the glass panels -- because Jobs complained they were too conspicuous and interrupted the esthetic of the cube.

"The Steve" is a bit of a nutjob sometimes. But don't we love him because of it? I mean, seriously, this is the kind of thing that makes Apple so cool.

I, for one, would love to see some other CEOs put this level of thought into some of the products/services/facilities they offer.
post #8 of 44
"I, for one, would love to see some other CEOs put this level of thought into some of the products/services/facilities they offer."

I second that.
post #9 of 44
"When workers began removing the black plywood panels from the cube last week, it looked as if construction was nearly complete. However, a report on ifoAppleStore explains the workers were instead swapping out sophisticated titanium hardware -- positioned between the glass panels -- because Jobs complained they were too conspicuous and interrupted the esthetic of the cube.

In fact, reports have also indicated that leasing arrangements for the store were finalized only after landlord Harry Macklowe promised the Apple CEO he could take big $9 million cube with him at the end of the 20-year lease."


This guy is going to be wearing tissue boxes on his feet pretty soon. You just know it.

     197619842014  

     Where were you when the hammer flew?  

 

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5s • iPad mini Retina • Chromebook Pixel • Nexus 7

Reply

     197619842014  

     Where were you when the hammer flew?  

 

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5s • iPad mini Retina • Chromebook Pixel • Nexus 7

Reply
post #10 of 44
I third that!! And also believe that his never settling for second best type personality is the reason that apple's products are of such quailty.
I am curious why this cube costs so much! $9M, that's very steep. I'd choose a different builder next time.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #11 of 44
Quote:
Originally posted by Ireland
I third that!! And also believe that his never settling for second best type personality is the reason that apple's products are of such quailty.

Unless he spends all his time staring at a giant glass cube instead.

     197619842014  

     Where were you when the hammer flew?  

 

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5s • iPad mini Retina • Chromebook Pixel • Nexus 7

Reply

     197619842014  

     Where were you when the hammer flew?  

 

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5s • iPad mini Retina • Chromebook Pixel • Nexus 7

Reply
post #12 of 44
Quote:
Originally posted by Ireland
I third that!! And also believe that his never settling for second best type personality is the reason that apple's products are of such quailty.
I am curious why this cube costs so much! $9M, that's very steep. I'd choose a different builder next time.

I'm not sure. How much do 32' glass cubes usually run?
Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
Reply
Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
Reply
post #13 of 44
It's really just a bunch of glass panes assembled together in the shape of a cube.

     197619842014  

     Where were you when the hammer flew?  

 

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5s • iPad mini Retina • Chromebook Pixel • Nexus 7

Reply

     197619842014  

     Where were you when the hammer flew?  

 

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5s • iPad mini Retina • Chromebook Pixel • Nexus 7

Reply
post #14 of 44
I read in the "Steve Jobs: iCon" book that in the 90's Steve demanded that the NeXT Computer factory be repainted several times as it "Wasn't the right shade of black". He also spent ridiculous amounts of money on a central glass staircase. However the factory has now become somewhat of an icon in the Valley i believe.
He sure is a perfectionist, i admire those qualities in him. I'm quite a perfectionist myself, and i didn't know whether it was a bad or good thing. On the whole, i think it just stretches yourself to create something better.
post #15 of 44
I think Steve Jobs has a fun job.

I would like to design giant cubes on the side of MY job!
post #16 of 44
So some people are commenting on Steve's sanity, and others seem to see it as a piece of art. However I am left with the question of what symbolism it might contain. Certainly Steve has been fascinated with cubes for quite awhile. But what would a cube might represent to Steve? I have some ideas, but would like to see what others see first.
"I'm learning how to meditate, so far so good."
Donald Fagen and Walter Becker
Reply
"I'm learning how to meditate, so far so good."
Donald Fagen and Walter Becker
Reply
post #17 of 44
Quote:
Originally posted by the_snitch
I read in the "Steve Jobs: iCon" book that in the 90's Steve demanded that the NeXT Computer factory be repainted several times as it "Wasn't the right shade of black". He also spent ridiculous amounts of money on a central glass staircase. However the factory has now become somewhat of an icon in the Valley i believe.
He sure is a perfectionist, i admire those qualities in him. I'm quite a perfectionist myself, and i didn't know whether it was a bad or good thing. On the whole, i think it just stretches yourself to create something better.

It often seems that a lot of the people who work in the computing industry are a little OCD. I have a feeling that Steve, as much as he's a genius, is probably a bit OCD as well.
Either way, it looking amazing. As did the G4 Cube for that matter. Gotta love the Apple design innovations
1.83Ghz MacBook Pro
AMD Athalon 3400+ PC
Reply
1.83Ghz MacBook Pro
AMD Athalon 3400+ PC
Reply
post #18 of 44
I think Steve's still unhappy that the Cube didn't turn out to be a big seller. This is his way of bringing the Cube back.
post #19 of 44
Quote:
Originally posted by 1984
It's really just a bunch of glass panes assembled together in the shape of a cube.

I doubt it. Have you ever seen large glass structures? You can't just stack panes on edge and expect it to have anything resembling structural integrity, especially in strong city winds. There's a lot more engineering there than you think, especially if Steve demands the hardware be inconspicuous.

<obscure Cube joke> But, actually, those aren't cracks. They're mold lines. Honestly. </obscure Cube joke>
post #20 of 44
Quote:
Originally posted by the_snitch
in the 90's Steve demanded that the NeXT Computer factory be repainted several times as it "Wasn't the right shade of black".

I heard it was the robots and the shade of gray. Coule have been both though.

post #21 of 44
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Cuilla
I heard it was the robots and the shade of gray. Coule have been both though.


I actually meant shade of grey aswell. Because, of course, there is only one shade of black, and anything else is grey.

PS - Just recieved in my email an invitation to WWDC to "See Leopard before it leaps into action."
Anyone else in the ADC and thinking of going?
post #22 of 44
Quote:
Originally posted by blue2kdave
So some people are commenting on Steve's sanity, and others seem to see it as a piece of art. However I am left with the question of what symbolism it might contain. Certainly Steve has been fascinated with cubes for quite awhile. But what would a cube might represent to Steve? I have some ideas, but would like to see what others see first.

I think it evokes Steve's memories of his "Happy Fun Cube(TM)" from his youth.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #23 of 44
Quote:
Originally posted by Kolchak
I doubt it. Have you ever seen large glass structures? You can't just stack panes on edge and expect it to have anything resembling structural integrity, especially in strong city winds. There's a lot more engineering there than you think, especially if Steve demands the hardware be inconspicuous.

<obscure Cube joke> But, actually, those aren't cracks. They're mold lines. Honestly. </obscure Cube joke>

You can see in the picture that it is made up of individual panes. Obviously there is a structure holding it together. I'm just saying it's not like a solid piece of glass or anything like that. It looks rather boring.

     197619842014  

     Where were you when the hammer flew?  

 

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5s • iPad mini Retina • Chromebook Pixel • Nexus 7

Reply

     197619842014  

     Where were you when the hammer flew?  

 

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5s • iPad mini Retina • Chromebook Pixel • Nexus 7

Reply
post #24 of 44
Boring? Perhaps...but I would prefer to describe it as simple, elegant, sublime. Attempting to design and manufacture a structural assembly system which disappears and reduces glass and transparency to its most elegant and simple refinement is extremely difficult.

A square cube is simple...or boring.
post #25 of 44
They were mold lines... and it was fairly obvious if you looked hard enough. Mind you, that didn't make me any happier when I saw them on my Cube

<obscure Cube joke> But, actually, those aren't cracks. They're mold lines. Honestly. </obscure Cube joke> [/B][/QUOTE]
post #26 of 44
Quote:
Originally posted by 1984
You can see in the picture that it is made up of individual panes. Obviously there is a structure holding it together. I'm just saying it's not like a solid piece of glass or anything like that.

True...but it is probably very expensive glass. Not to mention the engineering and construction costs of the whole thing. $9M seems high to me too. But have no idea what panes of glass like that must cost. Lots of $ I'll bet.
post #27 of 44
Jobs is such a copy cat



"That has nothing to do with the Louvre glass pyramid. Its a CUBE for gods sake" = "Win 95 has nothing to do with Mac OS. The trash can is ON THE LEFT SIDE for gods sake"
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
Reply
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
Reply
post #28 of 44
I wish I knew what it (the Cube) meant/stood for.
post #29 of 44
I read in Da Vinci Code that the Louvre's pyramid has exactly 666 panes of glass. I wonder what the number of glass panes are for TheCube(TM).
post #30 of 44
I say, get the design just perfect. We can't have any scratches or mold lines in this thing. :-) And, no matter what anyone says, Jobs is a genius, his redoing this now is probably covered in the contract and just generates free buzz for the grand opening.
post #31 of 44
Quote:
Originally posted by Bancho
I'm not sure. How much do 32' glass cubes usually run?

I saw one at Sears on sale last week for $50,000, but it did have some titanium hardware.

Now what I'd like to know is who's hanging outside this thing enough to catch it with its planks off. I mean, I can almost see its final unveiling as looking something like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Mecca_skyline.jpg

I've got to wonder whether this is the image Jobs is going for.

Hey, that's it! iMecca!
post #32 of 44
Quote:
Originally posted by Skittles_the_cat
I say, get the design just perfect. We can't have any scratches or mold lines in this thing. :-)

I guess that could be what it is: an example. An example of how Apple does things, i.e. perfectly. An example of what to expect of the products inside the store.
post #33 of 44
Quote:
Originally posted by Anders
Jobs is such a copy cat

I see someone here is seeing things in a similar way...
"I'm learning how to meditate, so far so good."
Donald Fagen and Walter Becker
Reply
"I'm learning how to meditate, so far so good."
Donald Fagen and Walter Becker
Reply
post #34 of 44
Actual cost of cube: $200,000.
Compensation for dealing with a man of Job's temperment: $8.8M.
Floating Glass Borg Cube: Priceless
post #35 of 44
Quote:
Originally posted by ascii
I guess that could be what it is: an example. An example of how Apple does things, i.e. perfectly. An example of what to expect of the products inside the store.

Apple doesn't do everything perfectly. I don't think they do anything perfectly. The thing is that they do tend to try to do better than everyone else.
post #36 of 44
Quote:
Originally posted by JeffDM
Actual cost of cube: $200,000.
Compensation for dealing with a man of Job's temperment: $8.8M.

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #37 of 44
Quote:
Originally posted by k squared
Attempting to design and manufacture a structural assembly system which disappears and reduces glass and transparency to its most elegant and simple refinement is extremely difficult.

Precisely. Building a 32' cube is easy. If you were doing it with steel, wood, concrete, etc. Doing it with glass is something else altogether. Any engineer will tell you that glass is not a structural material when you get more than a couple of feet in size. It's sheathing for the structure beneath. Making that structure inconspicuous is more difficult than laymen think. Even the massive glass cube around the Rose Center at the American Museum of Natural History uptown has a far more substantial and noticeable space frame inside the glass. As for the glass itself, I imagine it's something along the lines of 1/2" tempered glass. That makes it even more difficult to engineer. Tempered glass will not withstand any point loads. One nick and a whole sheet will shatter, so like I wrote, you can't just stack panes edge to edge.

Quote:
Originally posted by Anders
Jobs is such a copy cat
"That has nothing to do with the Louvre glass pyramid. Its a CUBE for gods sake" = "Win 95 has nothing to do with Mac OS. The trash can is ON THE LEFT SIDE for gods sake"

Actually, geometrically speaking, they are different. A pyramid is half of an octahedron, or more precisely a square dipyramid. Also one-sixth of a cube. But you can't just tilt a cube and come up with a pyramid.
post #38 of 44
Quote:
Originally posted by sunilraman
I read in Da Vinci Code that the Louvre's pyramid has exactly 666 panes of glass. I wonder what the number of glass panes are for TheCube(TM).

As many other things in the Da Vinci Code, this might be wrong. A pyramid has 4 equal sides, which are - we might assume - built exactly equally, i. e. the same number of glass panes. According to the Mac OS X Calculator, 666 / 4 = 166.5, therefore no (perfect) pyramid may be constructed from 666 panes.

But it seems I'm wrong. According to wikipedia , some poor guys actually counted the panes (took them 8 hours to do it), and they say it's constructed of 666 panes. Maybe the doors make the difference.
post #39 of 44
I hate to see what some kid with a slingshot and some spare time will do to this thing. If this is "glass" it won't last long.
post #40 of 44
Quote:
Originally posted by futuretheory9
I hate to see what some kid with a slingshot and some spare time will do to this thing. If this is "glass" it won't last long.

Why is the rest of Midtown still okay? Do you have any idea how much street-level glass there is in Midtown Manhattan? This cube is one drop in a very big bucket, roughly the equivalent of only one building's street level storefronts.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's Jobs tweaks his $9M glass cube