or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple drops PortalPlayer from future iPod plans?

Apple drops PortalPlayer from future iPod plans?

post #1 of 27
PortalPlayer, which designs chips and software for several of Apple's digital music players, informed investors this week that it had not been selected for use by Apple Computer in its forthcoming flash-based iPod music players.

PortalPlayer said in a statement that the follow-on to its PP5021 System-on-Chip product, expected to be available in the second half of this year, had not been selected by Apple.

Apple's flash-memory-based iPods include the nano and shuffle.
post #2 of 27
Who picked up the deal then?

I doubt it was apple themselves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
post #3 of 27
Intel!!
The world belongs to who wants it , now who deserves it.
post #4 of 27
Do they have any similar offerings?
Mac OS X Leopard vs. Windows Vista
http://www.macvswindows.com
Mac OS X Leopard vs. Windows Vista
http://www.macvswindows.com
post #5 of 27
Probably SigmaTel. That is who does the shuffle anyway.
"When I was a kid, my favourite relative was Uncle Caveman. After school, wed all go play in his cave, and every once and awhile, hed eat one of us. It wasnt until later that I discovered Uncle...
"When I was a kid, my favourite relative was Uncle Caveman. After school, wed all go play in his cave, and every once and awhile, hed eat one of us. It wasnt until later that I discovered Uncle...
post #6 of 27
Quote:
Originally posted by Telomar
Probably SigmaTel. That is who does the shuffle anyway.

SigmaTel does the wheel. I don't remember them doing the chipset.

The market doesn't seem to believe that Apple won't select them. Portal's stock has gone up.
post #7 of 27
I think intel is next.
post #8 of 27
Quote:
Originally posted by melgross
SigmaTel does the wheel.

No, that's Synaptics. (And even that isn't necessarily true any more; Synaptics is contracted to do some of the wheels for high demand, but most of them are done by Apple now.)

Quote:
I don't remember them doing the chipset.

The shuffle's chipset is from SigmaTel. More info.
post #9 of 27
intel has the XScale pxa27x and pxa255 that can be used. Remeber Intel saying that they were excited about current and future products.
post #10 of 27
Intel XScale aren't SoaCs and as such can't be used, barring extreme changes to the iPod's architecture (and, as such, many more separate chips).
post #11 of 27
but isnt the Zen using a PXA255 running at 400mhz. how much different technically are the ipod and the zen?
post #12 of 27
AFAIK PortalPlayer isn´t used in anything but the iPod video player. So it might mean nothing else than they didn´t expand into other iPod players...
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
post #13 of 27
I believe that apple is going to use Xscale chips on something. iphone, next gen ipod, something just chk out the list of all portable devices that have similar functions as the ipod.
http://www.intel.com/design/pca/hof/index.htm
post #14 of 27
Quote:
Originally posted by ghstmars
but isnt the Zen using a PXA255 running at 400mhz. how much different technically are the ipod and the zen?

The Zen is also significantly thicker and thus can afford to have separate dedicated chips. iPods can't.

Quote:
Originally posted by Anders
AFAIK PortalPlayer isn´t used in anything but the iPod video player. So it might mean nothing else than they didn´t expand into other iPod players...

The iPod nano and the iPod 5G use the same PortalPlayer chip.
post #15 of 27
guess you are right in terms of thickness. no intel then chucker?
post #16 of 27
I don't think Intel is very interested in SoaCs. PortalPlayer, SigmaTel and maybe others like STMicroelectronics.
post #17 of 27
Quote:
Originally posted by Chucker
The iPod nano and the iPod 5G use the same PortalPlayer chip.

PortalPlayer's statement was just the flash players wouldn't adopt their new chip. Not sure that's entirely surprising initially given support for wireless and such.

Otherwise maybe somebody else won it or maybe it is just a case of Apple has decided to start designing their own ARM chips for it.
post #18 of 27
Didn't Broadcom been rumored to be working with apple on some SoC chips?
I think it was last yr when the ipod video came out.Chucker what you think about that?
post #19 of 27
Quote:
Originally posted by Chucker
No, that's Synaptics. (And even that isn't necessarily true any more; Synaptics is contracted to do some of the wheels for high demand, but most of them are done by Apple now.)

The shuffle's chipset is from SigmaTel. More info.

Yeah, you're right. I always get those two confused.
post #20 of 27
Quote:
Originally posted by ghstmars
Didn't Broadcom been rumored to be working with apple on some SoC chips?
I think it was last yr when the ipod video came out.Chucker what you think about that?

There were rumors of Broadcom. If these pan out, then wifi is coming soon.
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
post #21 of 27
Perhaps the wait for a Video AirPort relates to WiFi iPod?

I don't know about you, but it would be cool to use the iPod as the remote to navigate, select, and scrub through content while it is played back on my stereo/TV wireless. Problem is security and network latency, anyone who uses AirTunes knows what I'm talking about.

Anyhow, I'm excited to see what direction the iPod takes next. I hope the next killer feature seriously makes me want to upgrade! I'll be sad because I won't want to spend more money on a new iPod, but it can't hurt iPod sales!
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
post #22 of 27
Wild speculation: Could it be that Apple is switching to the new AVR32 DSP controller? http://www.atmel.com/products/AVR32/

http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/vi...&family_id=682

"For example, streaming a 320x240 MPEG movie over the AP7000's on-chip Ethernet MAC at 100 Mbit/s and decoding it at 30 frames per second requires a CPU clock of only 120 MHz and system bus clock of only 60 MHz. The processor can also simultaneously run a full Linux® operating system and drive a QVGA TFT LCD with these clock frequencies. Total power consumption for this application is only 250 mW when using an AP7000-family processor."

"or example, running at just 100 MHz, the AVR32 core can do all the processing required to decode quarter-VGA MPEG4 movies the same format used with various hand-held video players including the iPod® "

Consider this: Atmel is VERY late in the 32mbit MCU/DSP game. They have also a competing ARM-product line. Why did they bother designing this exotic chip, if they didnt have some more or less guaranteed big design wins?
post #23 of 27
Quote:
Originally posted by blabla
Wild speculation: Could it be that Apple is switching to the new AVR32 DSP controller? http://www.atmel.com/products/AVR32/

http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/vi...&family_id=682

"For example, streaming a 320x240 MPEG movie over the AP7000's on-chip Ethernet MAC at 100 Mbit/s and decoding it at 30 frames per second requires a CPU clock of only 120 MHz and system bus clock of only 60 MHz. The processor can also simultaneously run a full Linux® operating system and drive a QVGA TFT LCD with these clock frequencies. Total power consumption for this application is only 250 mW when using an AP7000-family processor."

"or example, running at just 100 MHz, the AVR32 core can do all the processing required to decode quarter-VGA MPEG4 movies the same format used with various hand-held video players including the iPod® "

Consider this: Atmel is VERY late in the 32mbit MCU/DSP game. They have also a competing ARM-product line. Why did they bother designing this exotic chip, if they didnt have some more or less guaranteed big design wins?

The question here is whether Apple is going to go with a higher rez screen. If not, what advantages do these chip offer?
post #24 of 27
Quote:
"For example, streaming a 320x240 MPEG movie

That sounds like MPEG-1. Yawn.
post #25 of 27
Quote:
Originally posted by melgross
The question here is whether Apple is going to go with a higher rez screen. If not, what advantages do these chip offer?

On board stereo DAC, 2048x2048 LCD controller, java hardware acceleration , vector processing unit, low-power requirement . All interesting and relevant for a mobile phone, PDA or MP3-player.

And yes, its mgpeg-4:
http://www.eetimes.com/news/latest/s...leID=177104389
"The team claims the AVR32 achieves 35 percent more throughput per instruction cycle than an ARM11 core when used to run such target algorithms as sum of absolute differences and inverse discrete cosine transforms. That translates into the ability to decode quarter-VGA MPEG-4 video at 30 frames/second with a clock frequency of 100 MHz, compared with the 150 to 175 MHz required by the ARM11."
post #26 of 27
Quote:
On board stereo DAC, 2048x2048 LCD controller, java hardware acceleration , vector processing unit, low-power requirement . All interesting and relevant for a mobile phone, PDA or MP3-player.

And yes, its mgpeg-4:
http://www.eetimes.com/news/latest/s...leID=177104389
"The team claims the AVR32 achieves 35 percent more throughput per instruction cycle than an ARM11 core when used to run such target algorithms as sum of absolute differences and inverse discrete cosine transforms. That translates into the ability to decode quarter-VGA MPEG-4 video at 30 frames/second with a clock frequency of 100 MHz, compared with the 150 to 175 MHz required by the ARM11."

It sounds good, but there are other chips that sound just as good.

The specs are not all the same though.

Does this chip really need 2048 x 2048? And, what are they giving up that Apple might prefer because of it?
post #27 of 27
i found the article! that states what chip apple is going to use on the next generation hdpod!!
http://www.siliconvalleywatcher.com/...convalleyw.php
i know its a yr old but it looks like this is what we are looking for.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple drops PortalPlayer from future iPod plans?