or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple introduces 17-inch MacBook Pro

Apple introduces 17-inch MacBook Pro

post #1 of 95
17 inch here we come
post #2 of 95

and mayby FCP6
CubeG4 PL1.2GHz 80GB HD 1,25GB RAM GeForceFX5200 128MB VRAM
and MacBookPro 2,16GHz C2D

http://www.kgurszynski.eu
CubeG4 PL1.2GHz 80GB HD 1,25GB RAM GeForceFX5200 128MB VRAM
and MacBookPro 2,16GHz C2D

http://www.kgurszynski.eu
post #3 of 95
maybe a celeron widescreen macbook ?
post #4 of 95
17"macbookpro

$2,799
2,16Ghz coreduo
alles sal reg kom
alles sal reg kom
post #5 of 95
yep.
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen. - Albert Einstein

I wish developing great products was as easy as writing a check. If that were the case, then Microsoft would...
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen. - Albert Einstein

I wish developing great products was as easy as writing a check. If that were the case, then Microsoft would...
post #6 of 95
Maybe new iPods?

Or dare I say it iBooks? Um...I mean "Macbooks"? heh heh heh :-)
post #7 of 95
what a load of shite
post #8 of 95
fw800
8x dl superdrive
alles sal reg kom
alles sal reg kom
post #9 of 95
It's the 17in MBP with 2.16ghz ICD. $2799 USD. No surprises here.
post #10 of 95
WTF
2,16Ghz 15"MBP = $2,799
2,16Ghz 17"MBP = $2,799

alles sal reg kom
alles sal reg kom
post #11 of 95
Also has one FireWire 400, one FireWire 800, and three USB 2.0 ports

That's a lot of ports. I think that is perhaps the new element in Apple design for this introduction. They have ports running down BOTH sides of the notebook for the first time.

Edit note: Actually, the MacBook Pro 15" has ports running down both sides. I have no idea what I am saying. Please ignore. Still... 3 USB ports AND a FW 800...
post #12 of 95
Quote:
Originally posted by microdisiac
what a load of shite

Tell me about.
post #13 of 95
Quote:
Originally posted by gar
WTF
2,16Ghz 15"MBP = $2,799
2,16Ghz 17"MBP = $2,799

You're right.
sic.

post #14 of 95
Quote:
Originally posted by gar
WTF
2,16Ghz 15"MBP = $2,799
2,16Ghz 17"MBP = $2,799

If you give them both the 120 gb hard drive then the 17" is cheaper!
post #15 of 95
Quote:
Originally posted by rongold
They have ports running down BOTH sides of the notebook for the first time.

Eh? My 15" AiBook has that...
post #16 of 95
Quote:
Originally posted by red_kola
Eh? My 15" AiBook has that...

You are correct.
post #17 of 95
Quote:
Originally posted by gar
WTF
2,16Ghz 15"MBP = $2,799
2,16Ghz 17"MBP = $2,799

Insane!

I'm shocked we haven't seen any 15" Core Duo owners bitching about this one... Hmmm maybe they're not awake yet... Then again... IMHO a person interested in a 15" laptop and a person interested in a 17" laptop are two unique buyers. Having owned both a 15" PowerBook (first TIBook model) and a PowerBook 17" I gotta tell you (the 17 IS nice) but as for travel.. (something I don't do a ton of thank god) lugging / juggling the 17 isn't exactly fun.

Not that any of that will stop people from bitching...

Dave
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
post #18 of 95
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveGee
Insane!

I'm shocked we haven't seen any 15" Core Duo owners bitching about this one... Hmmm maybe they're not awake yet... Then again... IMHO a person interested in a 15" laptop and a person interested in a 17" laptop are two unique buyers. Having owned both a 15" PowerBook (first TIBook model) and a PowerBook 17" I gotta tell you (the 17 IS nice) but as for travel.. (something I don't do a ton of thank god) lugging / juggling the 17 isn't exactly fun.

Dave

<sips cofee> <yawn>

<EYES SHOOT OPEN>

Grumble Grumble Bitch Bitch Bitch 15" Grumble

F-ing 17" at same price point. WTF, Bitch Bitch Bitch

...mmm FW 800
post #19 of 95
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveGee
Insane!

Dave

Ahh, I just ordered a 15" on Saturday (2 GHz with 2gb ram) and that is fine. I am sizing down from a M60 big Dell notebook. 17" is too big for me and I can't wait any longer on a 13.3" iBook replacement. I got what I want so no complaints here.

I am still waiting on that subnotebook to come out. I will purchase the day it comes out.
Hard-Core.
Hard-Core.
post #20 of 95
prices of 15" will be dropped soon i guess, hopefully once 13.3 is out!

for a difference, now APPLE fans complaining about lower prices hehehe

Bring the 13.3" Apple. 8 months to take down Vista and increase the market share as much as possible ...

Bring the Conroe/Merom/Woodcrest intel ...

exciting year for PC hardware and software ... oh yeah that iPhone as well ... moto's L6 is really cool except for Music Quailty, Apple can do better ...same size as iPod nano ... can do Phone call as well

Nov '09 | iMac 21.5" C2D 3.06 Ghz | Intel 330 240GB SSD | ATI

Sep '12| Toshiba 14" 1366 x 768! | i5 3rd Gen 6GB| Intel x25-m 120GB SSD | Win 7|  Viewsonic VX2255wmb 22" LCD
iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

Nov '09 | iMac 21.5" C2D 3.06 Ghz | Intel 330 240GB SSD | ATI

Sep '12| Toshiba 14" 1366 x 768! | i5 3rd Gen 6GB| Intel x25-m 120GB SSD | Win 7|  Viewsonic VX2255wmb 22" LCD
iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

post #21 of 95
Apple Computer at the NAB Conference on Monday unveiled its flagship 17-inch MacBook Pro notebook computer featuring the Intel Core Duo processor and an all new system architecture that delivers up to five times the performance of the PowerBook G4.

The new 17-inch MacBook Pro features an aluminum enclosure just one inch thin, weighs 6.8 pounds, includes a built-in iSight video camera for video conferencing on-the-go, Front Row and Apple Remote. It also features a MagSafe Power Adapter, invented by Apple especially for mobile users.

The 17-inch MacBook Pro delivers the speed and screen area of a professional desktop system in the worlds best notebook design, said Philip Schiller, Apples senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. With Intels state of the art dual-core processor, the new 17-inch MacBook Pro delivers unrivaled performance in an innovative, sleek, one-inch thin design."

As expected\t, the new 17-inch MacBook Pro includes a 2.16 GHz Intel Core Duo processor that delivers dual-core performance in a power-efficient design. Also true to reports, Apple held out for the 8X SuperDrive with dual layer support.

Along with its Core Duo processor, the 17-inch MacBook Pro offers an all new system architecture including a 667 MHz front-side bus that is four times as fast as the PowerBook G4 and 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM memory expandable to 2GB that is twice as fast as the PowerBook G4. Overall, Apple claims the notebook is up to five times faster than the 17-inch PowerBook G4, running industry standard benchmarks.

Designed with business and creative professionals in mind, the new 17-inch MacBook Pro uses a 36 percent brighter display and an ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 PCI Express graphics with 256MB of dedicated GDDR3 graphics memory for demanding applications. It also includes a Scrolling TrackPad, a FireWire 800 port, a FireWire 400 port, three USB 2.0 ports, optical and digital audio input and output, built-in Bluetooth 2.0+EDR (Enhanced Data Rate), and integrated AirPort Extreme 54 Mbps 802.11g WiFi wireless networking.

Every MacBook Pro includes Mac OS X 10.4.6 and iLife 06, the next generation of Apples suite of digital lifestyle applications featuring iPhoto, iMovie HD, iDVD, GarageBand and iWeb.

Apple says Intel-based Mac customers currently have more than 1,500 Universal applications to choose from, with a list that is growing each day. An updated list of Universal applications for Mac OS X is available at the company's site.

Pricing & Availability

The new 17-inch MacBook Pro will begin shipping next week through the Apple Store, Apples retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers.

The 2.16 GHz, 17-inch MacBook Pro, for a suggested retail price of $2,799 (US), includes:
17-inch widescreen 1680 x 1050 LCD display with 300 cd/m2 brightness;
2.16 GHz Intel Core Duo processor;
1GB of 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, expandable to 2GB;
120GB Serial ATA hard drive running at 5400 rpm, with Sudden Motion Sensor;
a slot-load 8x SuperDrive with double-layer support (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)optical drive;
PCI Express-based ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 with 256MB GDDR3 memory;
DVI-out port for external display (VGA-out adapter included, Composite/S-Video out adapter sold separately);
built-in Dual Link support for driving Apple 30-inch Cinema HD Display;
built-in iSight video camera;
Gigabit Ethernet port;
built-in AirPort Extreme wireless networking and Bluetooth 2.0+EDR;
ExpressCard/34 expansion card slot;
three USB 2.0 ports, one FireWire 800 port, and one FireWire 400 port;
one audio line in and one audio line out port, each supporting both optical digital and analog;
Scrolling TrackPad and illuminated keyboard with ambient light sensor;
the infrared Apple Remote;
68 watt hour lithium polymer battery; and
85 watt Apple MagSafe Power Adapter.

Additional build-to-order options for the 17-inch MacBook Pro include 100GB (7200 rpm) hard drive, up to 2GB DDR2 SDRAM, Apple USB Modem, and the AppleCare Protection Plan.
post #22 of 95
where is the 13.3" macBook?
zenga
zenga
post #23 of 95
I had a dream that if the 17" had an x1800 I was going to order one today, but... suppose dreams don't always come true eh?
"People don't want handouts! People want hand jobs!" ~ Connecticut governor William O'Neil at a political rally, followed by riotous applause
"People don't want handouts! People want hand jobs!" ~ Connecticut governor William O'Neil at a political rally, followed by riotous applause
post #24 of 95
I ordering 3 today, not really. I would love one though

20" iMac 1680 X 1050 Resolution

17" MacBook Pro 1680 X 1050 Resolution
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #25 of 95
Quote:
Originally posted by Ireland
I ordering 3 today, not really. I would love one though

1680 X 1050 Resolution

Thanks for sharing.
post #26 of 95
a 17" laptop without a numeric keypad? not too smart. no thanks.
post #27 of 95
This makes total sense...

The 15" with 2.16 processor is not the machine they intend to sell to most people... they are pushing out the base models as fast as they can right now.. you pay a premium for changing things.

Mass production works, because of this.
post #28 of 95
Can the 12" Powerbook drive a20" screen with 1680 X 1050 resolution? I would like a smal laptop that I can use with a large screen.

???
Thanks!
post #29 of 95
Quote:
Originally posted by regan
Maybe new iPods?

Or dare I say it iBooks? Um...I mean "Macbooks"? heh heh heh :-)

Quote:
Originally posted by Zenga
where is the 13.3" macBook?

Probably not this week. Please keep in mind that this is the week of a big industry show, NAB, probably Apple's biggest industry show. That is a consumer product. Apple doesn't (or very rarely) announces consumer products during the week of industry shows like NAB, PhotoPlus, NAMM, etc.
post #30 of 95
Quote:
Originally posted by hledgard
Can the 12" Powerbook drive a20" screen with 1680 X 1050 resolution? I would like a smal laptop that I can use with a large screen.

???
Thanks!

The answer (yes) is on Apple's site:

12" Powerbook
post #31 of 95
Quote:
what a load of shite

Please elaborate.
post #32 of 95
Jeff, does it allow the increased resolution, or is it like the 14" iBook, just bigger print?
post #33 of 95
I would bet the 15" MacBook Pro's will see a bump to 2.0Ghz and 2.16Ghz before June, along with a BTO option of a 2.33Ghz Core Duo for $300 available to all MacBook Pro models. The fact that the 17" MacBook Pro costs the same as a 15" with the 2.16Ghz upgrade says that the 17" pricepoint already reflects the Intel processor price cuts.
post #34 of 95
Quote:
what a load of shite

Say this sentence in the voice of Groundskeeper Willy
post #35 of 95
Well.. just the little ones left then.
iBook / PowerBook12" merge replacement 13.3 incher?
Introduction of a ultra portable MacBook Thin?
The little ones are my flagships.
post #36 of 95
I am so excited!! I just ordered my 17 inch MBP!! My first mac....I can't wait!!
post #37 of 95
Quote:
Originally posted by hledgard
Jeff, does it allow the increased resolution, or is it like the 14" iBook, just bigger print?

I'm not sure what you are saying. The 12" Powerbook has a DVI port that is compatible with external computer LCD monitors up to 1920x1200 (23" and 24" monitors). As for the built-in screen, the 12" powerbook has the same number of pixels as a 14" iBook.

If you can stand to wait a month or two, the smaller notebooks are very overdue for updates and are rumored to get slightly different sized screens as the previous version.
post #38 of 95
Quote:
Originally posted by StuffNJunk
I am so excited!! I just ordered my 17 inch MBP!! My first mac....I can't wait!!

Virgins..!
zenga
zenga
post #39 of 95
1GB standard memory... smart move, that means towers when they come will sport at least that much as a standard configuration.
post #40 of 95
Quote:
Originally posted by Zenga
Virgins..!

Hey, when they sacrifice themselves to the volcanobook, it's pretty cool.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple introduces 17-inch MacBook Pro