or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › Feedback › Forum database issues.

Forum database issues.

post #1 of 28
We're currently experiencing problems with the forum database.

This may result in:

- New threads missing the body text.
- Replies not posting in threads.
- 'An error has occured' messages.
- Searches not working.
- Global warming.

Sorry for the inconvenience. This is being worked on.
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
post #2 of 28
Thanks for your patience. All seems to be good, now.
post #3 of 28
All is not good. My replies this morning have disappeared. My name shows up as the last poster, but when I click on it, someone else's profile comes up.

Basically, Jack-Jack is fine, but weird things are still happening.
post #4 of 28
there is something wrong with the clock...

clickity clock...
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
post #5 of 28
Quote:
Originally posted by hardeeharhar
there is something wrong with the clock...

clickity clock...

Yeah. I reported it to the sysadmin hours ago. No love, yet.
post #6 of 28
There is something seriously wrong with AI as pages stall when loading -- It is caused by this ad: http://media.fastclick.net/w/get.media?sid=9991&m=1&tp=5&d=j&t=n
post #7 of 28
Code:

echo media.fastclick.net >> /etc/hosts; echo "I'm a pirate! YARR!"; lookupd -flushcache
post #8 of 28
I got a DB error when going to UCP>LIST MESSAGES.
post #9 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpennington

I got a DB error when going to UCP>LIST MESSAGES.

It works for me with no error. Try again and see if you get the DB error.
post #10 of 28
Do I want to ask if we've got a back-up of everything back to the end of the blackout or will it just make me as angry as all crap with Kaspy?

Thanks!
Tomorrow shall be love for the loveless;
And for the lover, tomorrow shall be love.
post #11 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Guess I'll just use this real old thread..... everything old is new again.

What in the world is going on currently? Posts are going to whatever page of a multi-page thread you happen to have open, dropping in randomly, etc.

The clock on the forum server seems to have a mind of it's own. There's nothing I can do from this end except revel in my new-found ability to time travel.

I've sent a message to Kasper. He'll get it 3 hours ago.
post #12 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiopollution View Post

The clock on the forum server seems to have a mind of it's own. There's nothing I can do from this end except revel in my new-found ability to time travel.

I've sent a message to Kasper. He'll get it 3 hours ago.

It's true. You replied to my post before I made it! Truly awesome powers.

EDIT: as did I! I am my own grandpa!
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #13 of 28
Guess I'll just use this real old thread..... everything old is new again.

What in the world is going on currently? Posts are going to whatever page of a multi-page thread you happen to have open, dropping in randomly, etc.
post #14 of 28
Is AI hosted on the same DB server as MacNN? Because, seriously, they're both having the same problems with time.
post #15 of 28
Occasionally when i try to load the "Forums" page, it just loads a blank page with the proper URL. All of the other links on the site work fine and sometimes if I try back in a minute or so it will load the forums. I've experienced this problem in IE7, Safari 3, and FF2 in XP and FF2 in Ubuntu on the same machine.
Serving humanity one sarcastic comment at a time.
post #16 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post

Occasionally when i try to load the "Forums" page, it just loads a blank page with the proper URL. All of the other links on the site work fine and sometimes if I try back in a minute or so it will load the forums. I've experienced this problem in IE7, Safari 3, and FF2 in XP and FF2 in Ubuntu on the same machine.

I have the same issue, occasionally. If you refresh the page, it will load.
post #17 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinine View Post

Is AI hosted on the same DB server as MacNN? Because, seriously, they're both having the same problems with time.

When AI went Fubar a few days ago MacNN had exactly the same DB error too so I'd hazard a guess as 'yes'.
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
post #18 of 28
Not exactly FUBAR, but still seeing some database issues.

Read messages and forum are not showing the correct icon. They still show as being unread.....sometimes. 'Last post' authors are not showing up as the latest post. 'View most recent post' icon has changed (or was that on purpose?).

Still occasionally getting the message:
Quote:
Content Encoding Error (content_encoding_error)

Server response could not be decoded using encoding type returned by server.
This is typically caused by a Web Site presenting a content encoding header of one type, and then encoding the data differently.
post #19 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Not exactly FUBAR, but still seeing some database issues.

Read messages and forum are not showing the correct icon. They still show as being unread.....sometimes. 'Last post' authors are not showing up as the latest post. 'View most recent post' icon has changed (or was that on purpose?).

Still occasionally getting the message:

Graphics issues are just because I haven't finished copying over the custom graphics to the upgraded install of vBulletin.
post #20 of 28
What happened today at around 2:30 PM (central time)? I tried to get to the forums and all the pages would load only about 1 in 10 times and when they would load, the layout of everything was really messed up. The current categories had been replaced with different ones, and there weren't any posts on record. Scared me for a bit to think that everything had been lost. Was this another vBulletin update issue? But what's really odd to me (and would lead me to believe otherwise) was that instead of future hardware, current hardware, etc. the categories were future hardware and software, current hw/sw, and others that are similar to the current ones but having different names. There were also subcategories within these (when I could get them to load). What's up?
post #21 of 28
16th July 2007

This is beyond a joke.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #22 of 28
The forum still occasionally causes replies to apper before the original text appered.
17" i7 Macbook Pro (Mid 2010), Mac Mini (early 2006), G3 B&W, G3 Beige Tower, 3 G3 iMacs (original, bondi, snow), Power Mac 7600/132, Power Mac 7100/100, Power Mac 6100/60, Performa 5280, Performa...
17" i7 Macbook Pro (Mid 2010), Mac Mini (early 2006), G3 B&W, G3 Beige Tower, 3 G3 iMacs (original, bondi, snow), Power Mac 7600/132, Power Mac 7100/100, Power Mac 6100/60, Performa 5280, Performa...
post #23 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeTheRock View Post

The forum still occasionally causes replies to apper before the original text appered.

Unfortunately, this is a side-effect of the load-balancing setup that we're running.

It will occur in circumstances where one of the servers hasn't synced with the others and it's a very narrow time-span that it can happen in.

The major problems in the past were caused by one of the servers losing the correct time.
post #24 of 28
Or to put it another way Jake, there's always at least one server that wants to play hard ball. The recalcitrant. The odd man out. The one that will not follow the party line.

Yeah it's a bitch, but hey, what can you do? Servers will be servers. Some of them just have a mind of their own.

I'm pretty drunk. I look forward to finding out if that reply makes any sense at all (including nonsense) when I sober up. It would have been easier if you hadn't appened to reply before me audio. But I'll overlook it this just this once.
post #25 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinine View Post

Yes, and they have the same admins.

-t
post #26 of 28
The forum seems to have become much, much less responsive recently. Has there been an 'upgrade' that has caused a series of horrendous usability issues?

My posts immediately appear with the Lock graphic that says "Closed" and often will not even appear in threads.

Any clues? I hope this post appears....

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #27 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

The forum seems to have become much, much less responsive recently. Has there been an 'upgrade' that has caused a series of horrendous usability issues?

My posts immediately appear with the Lock graphic that says "Closed" and often will not even appear in threads.

Any clues? I hope this post appears....

Someone decided to spring an upgrade on the forums without letting me know ahead of time ... i'm not sure what problems this upgrade is causing, yet, but past experience tells me there will be a few.
post #28 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiopollution View Post

Someone decided to spring an upgrade on the forums without letting me know ahead of time ... i'm not sure what problems this upgrade is causing, yet, but past experience tells me there will be a few.

Hey audio. Let me know if you're interested in new mods; I sent you an email over the weekend to your @AI address, and didn't hear anything yet
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Feedback
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › Feedback › Forum database issues.