or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › MacMini Uptime

MacMini Uptime

post #1 of 9
My MacMini is a ggreat little macheine, but it isnt built like a server, or any computer made to stay up long term, while the OS is resiliant, I wonder, is 15+ days of uptime hard on the hardware?

it doesnt have a lot of fans or anything, in fact it is so silent that it just runs over night with out a second thought!

BTW: last three uptimes have been 22 days, 7 days, and sitting at 15 right now; I only shutdown durring lightning storms.
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
post #2 of 9
I don't think so. I keep my Mini on 24/7 always downloading/uploading and it's been great. I've had it for about 9 months. I don't think it will stress the hardware more than a normal server.
post #3 of 9
I hope not because all three of my mini's (2 ppc and 1 intel duo) run 24/7 and have had no problems.
Hard-Core.
Hard-Core.
post #4 of 9
The hardest you will ever work your hardware will be when you turn it on, or turn it off.
post #5 of 9
I have it on 24/7 for several months. It gets restarted only when installing a software update.

It gets a little hot from time to time (this eyeTV stuff needs some real processing), but no problems so far.
post #6 of 9
It's good to leave your computer on from time to time. Last time I checked (back in the 10.3 days), Apple has a script that defrags files under 20MB every night at midnight (according to the computer's clock).

I love waking up in the morning and having my computer run faster

I ripped about 30 of my CDs and filled up my HD sunday night.. the thing was CRAWLING.. monday morning it was like nothing happened.
Mac user since before you were born.
post #7 of 9
I have had one one for about 10 months without any problems.
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally posted by slughead
It's good to leave your computer on from time to time. Last time I checked (back in the 10.3 days), Apple has a script that defrags files under 20MB every night at midnight (according to the computer's clock).

Not true actually. Your volume probably was HFS+ with journaling... It defragments files under 20mb on-the-fly. I assume the ~1.5gb of data you loaded from those cds was defragmented on-the-fly and you thought things were 'faster' because you are just susceptible to the placebo effect of panther "defraging every night at midnight".
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally posted by Matthew Yohe
Not true actually. Your volume probably was HFS+ with journaling... It defragments files under 20mb on-the-fly. I assume the ~1.5gb of data you loaded from those cds was defragmented on-the-fly and you thought things were 'faster' because you are just susceptible to the placebo effect of panther "defraging every night at midnight".

Actually, according to this playlist, it was 21.48GB.

I guess it was more than 30 CDs, and I rip at 320kbps, btw :X

Also, I had to clear out a significant amount of data before hand. When copying the songs into itunes (I ripped them outside of itunes, and then copied them in), the "transfer rate" was about 5MBps (2-4 seconds/song), which is half what it should have been. I copied a few more songs in today and it was about 10MBps (1-2 seconds/song).

Current count: 9,694 songs == 30 days, 11 hrs == 71.07GB

Man I need a new HD
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › MacMini Uptime