or Connect

May 1

post #1 of 10
The massive show of a peacful crowd around the US has demonstrated how many people still love to be here. This inspite of Bush and Co.
We can be proud.
More importantly, they gave us a responsibility. This just may have fixed our image around the world and may have been the biggest win against terrorism. Peace works.

Hug an immigrant!
post #2 of 10
Immigrant and ILLEGAL Immigrant are not the same thing. The peopel have no problem with immigants. Our resonsibility is to those who want to follow the legal process.

There will be a reckoning on this Sat.

www.areckoning.com
"some catch on faster than others"
"some catch on faster than others"
post #3 of 10
Quote:
Originally posted by southside grabowski
Immigrant and ILLEGAL Immigrant are not the same thing. The peopel have no problem with immigants. Our resonsibility is to those who want to follow the legal process.

www.areckoning.com

I reckon the people need a new web designer.
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally posted by southside grabowski

www.areckoning.com

I was illegal for 10 years. paid taxes and rent and made 6 figures. was nominated for a Grammy.
Now I am legal. costed 7,000.-.
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally posted by jamac
I was illegal for 10 years. paid taxes and rent and made 6 figures. was nominated for a Grammy.

Does that make it "OK"?
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally posted by audiopollution
I reckon the people need a new web designer.

This was designed on a Commodore64, the first and last non-immigrant-made computer.
'L'enfer, c'est les autres' - JPS
'L'enfer, c'est les autres' - JPS
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Cuilla
Does that make it "OK"?

Maybe I even paid more taxes and fees than you.
I was illegal for some time because:
INS lost my paperwork, 3 years down the drain.

Started my own business, no time or money...

Finally: Got expensive lawyer in Century city, 2 years later greencard.
First question of INS officer Gerhard Mueller (!)" did you ever smoke pot?"
Question 2: "did you ever sell cocain for profit?"
"Are you going to keep making great Jazz records?"

Illegal immigrants are big business. There is a whole industry built around us here. Loads of money changes hands and a lot of it is from overseas.
There are "illegal" immigrants who own mulitmillion dollar homes in Beverly Hills and I am sure in Washington DC as well.

My point:
There is a lot of people that are here illigally and become legal and contribute immensely. The currently very difficult process keeps a whole armada of lawyers in business including their secretarys, and several tons of paper are waisted yearly on immigration, copies, copies copies.
This needs reform badly.
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Maybe I even paid more taxes and fees than you.

Maybe. Maybe not. Who cares? Paying more taxes than me entitles someone to break the law?

Quote:
I was illegal for some time because:
INS lost my paperwork, 3 years down the drain.

This stretches the definition of "illegal" to me. It was a bureaucratic snafu. No fault of yours. You sound like you intended to operate through the process properly and legally but someone goofed up. You didn't sneak into the country in contradiction to the laws of the country did you?

Quote:
Illegal immigrants are big business. There is a whole industry built around us here.

It seems somewhat silly to compare your situation to that of people that are entering the country illegaly with no intention of going through properr, legal processes.
post #9 of 10
Illegals will keep streaming into the US until the businesses who employ them are busted on a regular basis. It's a self perpetuating mess, because of the one-sidedness of the way the law is, or rather is not, enforced. Businessfolk want the illegals here, because they can employ them at minimum wage or less, this makes for higher profits; nobody is prepared to argue against *that*! The INS can bust as many illegals as they like, but there will always be just as many, or more coming in to replace those who have been deported. The pool of extremely cheap labor remains consistent, many have forged documents and pay taxes; everyone wins.

Now wtf is the Mexican Government doing about it?
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
post #10 of 10
If all the illegal border crossers would apply for visas this would mean burocratic chaos. My own experience with immigration is not unusual or exceptional. 10 years to become legal is the norm. I guess it's a test of your resolve.

If you want to know what it feels like, go to the INS building downtown LA at 5:30 am on any given business day.

Solution:
Why not buy the rest of Mexico (like the US did with California) and make it state # 51-55...? We already own most of the coasts and we take care of it's people. 2 or more languages in a country is also not unusual. Switzerland has 4 official languages and only 6mil people.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider