or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Where in the ???? Americans and Geography
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Where in the ???? Americans and Geography

post #1 of 48
Thread Starter 
A few years ago, I read a report that said Americans were weak at geography. Today a new survey comes out that suggests the problem is worse than I thought. What is happening to America, a land of immigrants and the so-called greatest nation on earth?

What do you guys think? What would you answer to some of the questions?

http://www.cnn.com/2006/EDUCATION/05...est/index.html

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #2 of 48
Jesus.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
post #3 of 48
^ That's the only answer you need.
post #4 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by Bergermeister
What is happening to America, a land of immigrants and the so-called greatest nation on earth?

What's happening (amongst many other things) is that the education system focuses too much on hip technology, like giving laptops to elementary pupils who couldn't possibly actually benefit from it, while cutting funding, instead of actually trying to discuss what's important for students to learn.

You can win an election in a much easier way by saying "we'll give your children all sorts of high-tech!" than "we'll focus a lot more on Asian history in tenth grade from now on".
post #5 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by Chucker
What's happening (amongst many other things) is that the education system focuses too much on hip technology, like giving laptops to elementary pupils who couldn't possibly actually benefit from it, while cutting funding, instead of actually trying to discuss what's important for students to learn.

There are a lot of things you can blame for the bad public education system, but none of them are as significant as the culture of the students themselves. Unless students want to learn, the education system will never yield good results. In that respect, I think these kids should just get weeded out and put into trade school.
Cat: the other white meat
Reply
Cat: the other white meat
Reply
post #6 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by Splinemodel
[B]There are a lot of things you can blame for the bad public education system, but none of them are as significant as the culture of the students themselves. Unless students want to learn, the education system will never yield good results. In that respect, I think these kids should just get weeded out and put into trade school.

You can't blame students for bad education. That's like blaming consumers for not buying "the right" products (hello content industry!).

There's a reason students are severely disinterested in education to begin with. Obviously, there's a lot of factors to that, but primarily, there's three:
3) cultural influences, e.g. advertising, fashion, media consumption
2) interaction with teachers and co-students
1) most importantly: the parents.
post #7 of 48
Teachers get shit on so much in this country, it's amazing to me that anyone even goes into the profession any more.

I don't think people even realize that almost every public school in this country is now supposed to follow strict frameworks and guidelines set out by local, state, and federal governments.

Many schools now have their state funding based on their performance and how much they improve every year. Performance is now measured based on standardized tests and some states won't give high school diplomas to students who don't get a high enough score on the tests.

I've seen some of the frameworks for these states, geography gets almost no attention because the tests required for graduation are based around Math and English.

It's getting to the point where teachers are told that they need to spend a set amount of time on a subject each day, even at the elementary school level. 90 minutes of math, 60 minutes of reading, 60 minutes of writing/phonics work, etc. There's only so much time during the day, and science and history/geography are suffering as a result.

A lot of this is just pure ignorance on the part of people surveyed. If you don't know where Iraq or Louisiana are on a map, you haven't watched the news or picked up a newspaper in quite some time. Apparently, Americans who are 18-24 choose to ignore what is going on around them, only stopping to complain when something directly hurts them, like rising gas prices.

You can't blame teachers for this.
post #8 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran441
You can't blame teachers for this.

Sure you can! You can't expect people to be held accountable for their own ignorance, can you?
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
post #9 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran441
Teachers get shit on so much in this country, it's amazing to me that anyone even goes into the profession any more.

Very true.

Quote:
You can't blame teachers for this.

Who in this thread did?
post #10 of 48
How can the students possibly learn geography, they're too busy marching out of the classrooms into the streets to protest immigration policy. Additionally how can you complain that certain parties can't find the countries or states when they don't believe in the borders that create them in the first place.

Viva la raza!
Si se puede!
We didn't cross the border, there isn't a border and if there is, it crossed us!

Nick

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #11 of 48
Damn straight, comrade Nick! I assume that all of geography was covered on the days they went to march, so screw them!
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
post #12 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by midwinter
Damn straight, comrade Nick! I assume that all of geography was covered on the days they went to march, so screw them!

Remember, the presumption that they were there on the non-march days is yours alone.

Nick

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #13 of 48
This is what happens when you let in millions of mexicans and have a large black population who worships Rap & Hood and dont think a father is needed in the raising of the children, yeah we Americans are getting stupider all the time, just look at our president.
VOTE OUT ALL INCUMBENTS! Its the only way we can clean up Congress.
Reply
VOTE OUT ALL INCUMBENTS! Its the only way we can clean up Congress.
Reply
post #14 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by Aurora
This is what happens when you let in millions of mexicans and have a large black population who worships Rap & Hood and dont think a father is needed in the raising of the children, yeah we Americans are getting stupider all the time, just look at our president.

Classy.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
post #15 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by Chucker
There's a reason students are severely disinterested in education to begin with. Obviously, there's a lot of factors to that, but primarily, there's three:
3) cultural influences, e.g. advertising, fashion, media consumption
2) interaction with teachers and co-students
1) most importantly: the parents.

You can shift the blame however you want, but if the kid doesn't want to learn, there's no much you can do. Whether the root of the problem is culture, the parents, or heredity can be up for debate, but at the end of the day the problem is still the student. Altering youth culture is probably a good idea towards "fixing" this problem, but talk is cheap. I can't think of a better way to light a fire under someone than to take something away: that is, I'd separate achievers from non achievers and put the non achievers in trade school instead of high school. Maybe then they'd instill a little more responsibility in their children.
Cat: the other white meat
Reply
Cat: the other white meat
Reply
post #16 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by Aurora
This is what happens when you let in millions of mexicans and have a large black population who worships Rap & Hood and dont think a father is needed in the raising of the children, yeah we Americans are getting stupider all the time, just look at our president.

Wow.
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
Reply
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
Reply
post #17 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by hardeeharhar
Wow.

Yeah. Classy, huh?
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
post #18 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by midwinter
Yeah. Classy, huh?

That's a sweet home South Carolinian for you...
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
Reply
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
Reply
post #19 of 48
Remember the Animaniacs video where Yakko does some annoying-ass song and points to all (or a good portion) of the countries in the world? Maybe that video needs to be replayed ad nauseum until they learn where places are.

Seriously though, when the study first came I out, I thought to myself, surely the youth of America can't be that stupid. I was horribly wrong, and the blame can go all around the table as far as I'm concerned:

1) The Students - Students rarely care about anything unless they are driven by some outside influence like a teacher or their parents. It's complete apathy. If you noticed, during all of the walk-outs from school for whatever reason, a good portion of the students have no idea what they're walking out for, other than the fact that because they're doing it they get the day off from school. So yes, I would blame some of it on the students - they don't want to learn, they don't want to be in school. I say if they have shown repeatedly that they don't want to be there we send them to a trade school or tell them to get a job.

2) The Parents - My parents and grandparents remember a day when parents actually supported teacher and school officials when their child was in trouble. Those days are gone. Especially in lower-class families, parents seems wholly uninterested in their child's education. I never understood why either. If your kid goes to school ( and they don't even have to go to college, just finish damn high school) then they have a chance at getting some kind of a job. If they want to go to college, Universities give out so much need based aid, it's unreal. But no, parents want to act like their child is an angel. They'd never cuss at the teacher, or never assault a police officer, or never act up in class. The parents only reason for coming to school anymore is to bail their child out of trouble - who cares about the kind of education they're getting, just as long as they make it through school without going to jail.

For those students that are athletes, there is also a focus on grooming their child for the pros before they're even out of middle school. One in every 25,000 high school football players goes on to sign with a pro team. My high school team had 50 guys that all thought they were going pro. Their record - 1 - 10. Hell son, you're not even getting signed by a DIII school if you play that shitty. Wake up and go to class.

3) The Schools - They want to coddle the children, protect their self esteem, bring out their creativity, introduce them to technology that in many cases, the teachers themselves can't grasp. The schools want to do everything but teach basic classes. We can teach you how to bake a cake or take care of a baby, but we can't teach you basic math or geography. We can give you a laptop, but we can't troubleshoot it for you or tell you how it works or tell you even a basic reason why it works. But praise God! They're light years ahead of the poor kids of the past that never had such conveniences. I'm so pissed I didn't get to check MySpace back in 1996. Schools are using the internet like it's going out of style. Remember books? Damn, when I learned to write research papers in high school, it was beat intomy head that the internet was no place to find sources unless you could cross reference them to an actual book somewhere or it was a government document. Now, kids write papers that are copied and pasted from the net, the teachers don't care or are too dumb to notice.

So there's plenty of blame to go around ... but at least the Animaniacs video should do some good!

MacBook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8GB DDR3 SDRAM, 750GB HDD
Mac mini 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8GB DDR3 SDRAM, 500GB HDD
iPhone 5S, 32GB

Reply

MacBook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8GB DDR3 SDRAM, 750GB HDD
Mac mini 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8GB DDR3 SDRAM, 500GB HDD
iPhone 5S, 32GB

Reply
post #20 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by Aurora
This is what happens when you let in millions of mexicans and have a large black population who worships Rap & Hood and dont think a father is needed in the raising of the children, yeah we Americans are getting stupider all the time, just look at our president.

The left will freak out on this one! Put aside your lefty PC mentality and look at the problem. We can't solve the problem unless we have the guts to look at it and not pretend it does not exist.
"some catch on faster than others"
Reply
"some catch on faster than others"
Reply
post #21 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by Aurora
This is what happens when you let in millions of mexicans and have a large black population who worships Rap & Hood and dont think a father is needed in the raising of the children, yeah we Americans are getting stupider all the time, just look at our president.

Who do you think you are? Steven Colbert?

Do what you will, but harm none.

Reply

Do what you will, but harm none.

Reply
post #22 of 48
Don't worry Americans! I fear the problem is not just confined to your country. I'm currently finishing secondary school in the UK, and I tell ya, some of these kids are predicted A and A* grades, but they know jack! Half of these kids don't know where Birmingham is! In their OWN COUNTRY!
post #23 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by max_naylor
Half of these kids don't know where Birmingham is! In their OWN COUNTRY!

It's in Alabama, dummy!
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
post #24 of 48
There's a decent soccer stadium in Birmingham.
Cat: the other white meat
Reply
Cat: the other white meat
Reply
post #25 of 48
Ours just got shot down.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
post #26 of 48
Ignorance about geography is commonplace in many countries, but moreso when you live in a big super-poweful country, with only two terrestrial boundaries; then you tend to pay even less attention to the wider world out there. I'm told that a large proportion of Americans don't even travel abroad.
According to the CNN article, seven out of ten could tell where China was. So it's not all that hopeless.
« Jparle pas aux cons, ça les instruit. »

From Les Tontons Flingueurs


חברים יש רק באגד
Reply
« Jparle pas aux cons, ça les instruit. »

From Les Tontons Flingueurs


חברים יש רק באגד
Reply
post #27 of 48
Quote:
A few years ago, I read a report that said Americans were weak at geography. Today a new survey comes out that suggests the problem is worse than I thought.

The first thing that a "good education" should teach you is not to trust "survey relsults" published at a site like CNN.com without seeing the raw data and how the data was collected first.
post #28 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by midwinter
It's in Alabama, dummy!

Not the original, dummy! Our Birmingham is over 1000 years old. That's older than your country.
post #29 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by max_naylor
Not the original, dummy! Our Birmingham is over 1000 years old. That's older than your country.

Dummy, America has been here FOREVER! Waaaaay Longer than England, which was created by the French in 1066!
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
post #30 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by midwinter
Ours just got shot down.

Getting a 20,000 seat stadium to cost $145M is a remarkble act of budget padding. No wonder why it was disapproved.

The other Birmingham has some nice soccer stadiums as well, I'm told. They call it "football" over there. I'm not sure why, since football is a different, American sport. Geez.
Cat: the other white meat
Reply
Cat: the other white meat
Reply
post #31 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by Splinemodel
Getting a 20,000 seat stadium to cost $145M is a remarkble act of budget padding. No wonder why it was disapproved.

The other Birmingham has some nice soccer stadiums as well, I'm told. They call it "football" over there. I'm not sure why, since football is a different, American sport. Geez.

What?! Football and soccer are different things? And all this time I thought the Brits were playing tackle football!
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
post #32 of 48
americans dont know anything about the rest of the world. its this whole "I'M AMURRICAN!" attitude where the rest of the world doesnt matter.



Quote:
Originally posted by Aurora
This is what happens when you let in millions of mexicans and have a large black population who worships Rap & Hood and dont think a father is needed in the raising of the children, yeah we Americans are getting stupider all the time, just look at our president.

i dont even know what to say about the ignorance here. i bet those who "worships Rap & Hood" know a lot more about the rest of the world than a lot of little rich white suburban kids who rock abercrombie & fitch do
~Winner of the Official 2003 AppleInsider NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament Pool~
Reply
~Winner of the Official 2003 AppleInsider NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament Pool~
Reply
post #33 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by midwinter
Dummy, America has been here FOREVER! Waaaaay Longer than England, which was created by the French in 1066!

What the hell are you talkin about dummy?! Dont forget this list of things you wouldn't have without us:
* The English language
* The computer
* The pencil
* The adjustable spanner
* The sandwich
* The catflap
* The lawn mower
* The rubber band
* The electrical generator
* The micrometer
* The cat's eye
* The seatbelt
* Tarmac
* The hovercraft
* The jet engine
* Meccano

(Click here if you don't believe me)

Without these inventions, you couldn't have given us all the wonderful some of stuff you came up with, like Microsoft Windows and American 'Football'.

Don't get me wrong, I love America. I just think Americans are slightly stuck up sometimes when it comes to the rest of the world. Your not the only country in the world you know. Just take a moment to think where you would be today if it weren't for the rest of the world. Truth is, you wouldn't exist.

God bless America.
post #34 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by TigerWoods99
americans dont know anything about the rest of the world. its this whole "I'M AMURRICAN!" attitude where the rest of the world doesnt matter.

i dont even know what to say about the ignorance here. i bet those who "worships Rap & Hood" know a lot more about the rest of the world than a lot of little rich white suburban kids who rock abercrombie & fitch do

By the way, you are completely right. I so agree.
post #35 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by max_naylor
What the hell are you talkin about dummy?! Dont forget this list of things you wouldn't have without us:
* The English language
* The computer
* The pencil
* The adjustable spanner
* The sandwich
* The catflap
* The lawn mower
* The rubber band
* The electrical generator
* The micrometer
* The cat's eye
* The seatbelt
* Tarmac
* The hovercraft
* The jet engine
* Meccano

(Click here if you don't believe me)

Without these inventions, you couldn't have given us all the wonderful some of stuff you came up with, like Microsoft Windows and American 'Football'.

Don't get me wrong, I love America. I just think Americans are slightly stuck up sometimes when it comes to the rest of the world. Your not the only country in the world you know. Just take a moment to think where you would be today if it weren't for the rest of the world. Truth is, you wouldn't exist.

God bless America.

Bah! All of those things were invented in America, and you know it! The only thing England invented was the Hinge. You know. Stonehinge and all that. And while Stonehinge is cool (I'm a little bitter about not having purchased the "stone similar to that of stonehinge" when I was last out at Salisbury plain (most certainly the place where Salisbury Steak was invented!), I am gladdened somewhat by having owned, at one point, a Stonehinge toothbrush.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
post #36 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by midwinter
Bah! All of those things were invented in America, and you know it! The only thing England invented was the Hinge. You know. Stonehinge and all that. And while Stonehinge is cool (I'm a little bitter about not having purchased the "stone similar to that of stonehinge" when I was last out at Salisbury plain (most certainly the place where Salisbury Steak was invented!), I am gladdened somewhat by having owned, at one point, a Stonehinge toothbrush.

WTF?!?!?
post #37 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by max_naylor
WTF?!?!?

Clearly, sarcasm wasn't among the things your country invented.
post #38 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by Chucker
Clearly, sarcasm wasn't among the things your country invented.

That would be Ireland.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
post #39 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by Chucker
Clearly, sarcasm wasn't among the things your country invented.

Clearly my arse. This is just a trivial contest between two countries. Nothing more, nothing less.

AFAIK.
post #40 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by midwinter
That would be Ireland.

Big up the Irish!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Where in the ???? Americans and Geography