or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › New Mac Mini Configuration Coming?

New Mac Mini Configuration Coming?

post #1 of 24
Last night, after the new commercials aired, I was browsing Apple's "Get a Mac" page and noticed something strange, so I saved the page in question as a PDF:

Notice that it says three Mac mini configurations. Well, tonight, I checked Apple's site again, and, lo and behold, it has changed! It now refers to two Mac mini configurations. See for yourself:

http://www.apple.com/getamac/intel.html

Now I suppose this is probably just a typo, but I thought some of us might find it interesting. Besides, its been kind of slow lately...

So, that being said, any thoughts?
--
[alloc init]
--
[alloc init]
post #2 of 24
I think it is quite likely - the thought has occurred to me before - they used to have three Mac minis, and in my opinion they are not quite suchgood value as before (if you look at hard drive space for your $ etc). I think it is quite likely that the drop the price of the current ones and introduce a new top model. Time will tell.
post #3 of 24
They have three configs in the retail stores in the UK.

In addition to the two models in the online store, there's a third (100GB disk, 1GB RAM). That's the one I bought, from stock.
post #4 of 24
It's either a typo, a new higher end model, a package, or a low end model with a Celeron-M (yonah) 400 series.
post #5 of 24
Maybe when the prices on the processors drop, this conspiracy theory might prove true!
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #6 of 24
I'm not holding my breath anyway. What I want is a Mini with the imac spec. It's simple:

imac = £929
decent Mini = imac - display = £929-£200? = £729

But no, keep pushing them integrated chips Apple and see me turn my head in disgust. You're just ruining the best machine you ever designed.
post #7 of 24
If they ever give Mini something other then Integrated Graphics CRAP it could be a GREAT machine. Apple made certain they gave it the cheapist lowest form of Gpu they could find.
VOTE OUT ALL INCUMBENTS! Its the only way we can clean up Congress.
post #8 of 24
Quote:
Originally posted by Aurora
If they ever give Mini something other then Integrated Graphics CRAP it could be a GREAT machine. Apple made certain they gave it the cheapist lowest form of Gpu they could find.

It's probably because of heat/space.

I totally agree btw.. I can't recommend the mini to anyone until they revise the graphics.

I wouldn't mind another cube.
Mac user since before you were born.
post #9 of 24
Quote:
Originally posted by Aurora

I didn't realize people were STILL whining about this!
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
post #10 of 24
Quote:
Originally posted by CosmoNut

Integrated graphics was considered a poor mans graphics in other words it was cheap crap then all of sudden Apple uses and its suppose to be Ok? I dont think so. garbage is garbage and integrated graphics is cheap garbage. They hold up the very bottom of any chart. I suspect Intel gives them to Apple for free for using its cpu's.
post #11 of 24
Quote:
Originally posted by CosmoNut

It needs to be mentioned in every mac mini thread that mentions features until Apple changes it.

I remember when the intel mac mini was introduced, nobody cheered for the graphics option (I don't even think Jobs mentioned it).

Ignoring the form factor, the mac mini should have a better video card for the price.

Also, I'm not all that impressed with the form factor.. remember that the PSU (part of the computer) is external and proprietary ($50 replacement).. that seems messy to me.
post #12 of 24
slughead - you do realise how much more expensive the Core processors are than G4s, right?
post #13 of 24
Quote:
Originally posted by krispie
slughead - you do realise how much more expensive the Core processors are than G4s, right?

Of course. You, inturn, also realize that they increased the price by $100 on the base model. And don't bring the better drives into this, as they're the same price as, if not cheaper than, the old drives were at the time the $499 mac mini G4 was sold.
post #14 of 24
I think the current models and price points are highly related to the higher cost for both the intel CPUs and added features like remote. Once production is humming and component prices have fallen I'd expect cheaper minis and more options.
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
post #15 of 24
...so they got better hard drives, airport, bluetooth and digital audio all for free ?
I heard that geeks are a dime a dozen, I just want to find out who's been passin' out the dimes
----- Fred Blassie 1964
I heard that geeks are a dime a dozen, I just want to find out who's been passin' out the dimes
----- Fred Blassie 1964
post #16 of 24
Quote:
Originally posted by [alloc init]

BTW, isn't the correct syntax:

[[class alloc] init]?

There is no alloc class to send an init message to.
Providing grist for the rumour mill since 2001.
Providing grist for the rumour mill since 2001.
post #17 of 24
Did somebody say,

Mac Mini Pro??!!

*j*
post #18 of 24
Anyone want to offer an ETA on the next v?
post #19 of 24
Over at another thread people are complaining that there is no $300 complete mac system. Go figure.
post #20 of 24
Quote:
Originally posted by Programmer
BTW, isn't the correct syntax:

[[class alloc] init]?

There is no alloc class to send an init message to.

I've been waiting for someone to notice that. Initially, I was going to be alloc] init], but it didn't look right somehow. So I decided to rely on the stop/spot phenomenon, and hope that the brains of anyone who might know the reference, (i.e., you, Programmer) would mutate it appropriately.
--
[alloc init]
--
[alloc init]
post #21 of 24
Quote:
Originally posted by slughead

I totally agree btw.. I can't recommend the mini to anyone until they revise the graphics.

You mean, like this one ?

post #22 of 24
Quote:
Originally posted by slughead

Well the mini may not have good graphics but iTunes beach balls just scrolling with my G5 2GHz Dual 4 GB Ram and it doesn't with the same set of Firewire drives on my mac mini 1.67 duo with 2 GB Ram...
----- Fred Blassie 1964
----- Fred Blassie 1964
post #23 of 24
Quote:
Originally posted by Bigc
Well the mini may not have good graphics but iTunes beach balls just scrolling with my G5 2GHz Dual 4 GB Ram and it doesn't with the same set of Firewire drives on my mac mini 1.67 duo with 2 GB Ram...

That doesn't mean the GPU in your Mini is better than the one in your G5. My guess is there's something wrong with your G5 (cache cleaning maybe). Do something that will stress out your GPUs (e.g. UT2k4 - http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/22450 ) and you will see the difference.

Now, it's not just gaming that people want better cards, there are a great many uses for them and it's just stupid that the cheapest new headless Mac with a good GPU is $2000. By all means Apple can sell cheaper Minis with integrated chips for people who don't use them but give people who do use them the option.

There is a huge market there - mostly amongst the student population who can't afford a laptop so opt for a desktop, can't afford a G5 tower or the $600 repair of a TFT display that breaks (take out the imac) so decide on a Mini. But hold up, it won't run Maya, Vectorworks, or most 3D software well enough to be usable. The only solution is to avoid buying a Mac (or get a clumsy second hand tower) and it doesn't need to be.

I think Apple just want to push more of their G5s because given the power of the Core Duo, I reckon a lot of people would rather pay $899 for a Duo Mini with a 128MB X1600 than $1999 for a dual G5 with 128MB Geforce 6600LE. The only advantage to the G5 in that case is expansion but for a saving of $1100, I'd give up that advantage in a flash.

I could see them releasing a better Mini when G5 sales dry up or when the Intel desktops arrive because at the moment, other than expansion, the G5 has no advantage over a CD Mini with a good GPU.
post #24 of 24
nuthin wrong with the G5, has gotten that way slowly as I have added more tunes. My point is I don't care how good or bad the video is on the Mini, the CPU works great....and the size is amazing. It's a great machine for what it is...
----- Fred Blassie 1964
----- Fred Blassie 1964
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › New Mac Mini Configuration Coming?