or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Displayport 1.0 standard
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Displayport 1.0 standard

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
Remember we discussed this a whil ago when it was in the news?

http://www.eet.com/news/latest/showA...leID=175007096

In the new article below, it's strange they didn't mention Apple, as they are one of the major backers.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=31437

I had mentioned, at the time, that possibly the new Intel Mini might get this, but, of course, it didn't. An adapter would have allowed DVI or VGA out from it,

But, maybe now, it will get one of these. A Merom Mini (hmm, sounds nice), might be the perfect home theater computer, with this as output.
post #2 of 13
hmmm
... with optional copy protection but at minimal cost.
I heard that geeks are a dime a dozen, I just want to find out who's been passin' out the dimes
----- Fred Blassie 1964
Reply
I heard that geeks are a dime a dozen, I just want to find out who's been passin' out the dimes
----- Fred Blassie 1964
Reply
post #3 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by Bigc
hmmm
... with optional copy protection but at minimal cost.

copy protection is here to stay. No use protesting it.

But, Sony, and others, have stated that they will not agree to cutting the resolution down on non-copyright protected lines. So, that a welcome change.
post #4 of 13
VESA DisplayPort and Intel UDI are different and compete on the same ring to replace both DVI and HDMI.

Apple is behind UDI (Unified Display Interface) promoted by Intel ans supported by both ATI and NVIDIA (the LCD HDTV leader Samsung too, and LG-Philips, Silicon Image Inc, National Semiconductor, Analogix Semiconductor, FCI Connect, Foxconn, Redmere Technologies, JAE Electronics, and Sure-Fire Electronics, THine Electronics).

Version 0.8 of the UDI specification has already been published, with version 1.0 due in Q2 2006.
See the Unified Display Interface web site at www.udisig.org

The three companies behing DP are HP, Dell and Lenovo: 3 computer firms. They don't make TVs (well... some TVs but they are not big TV makers such as Samsung or LG). More important, they don't make the video-out in their PCs neither, because the graphic cards are made by Intel, ATI and NVIDIA... supporters of UDI.

UDI is compatible with DVI signals. DP is not.
UDI is compatible with HDMI video signals. DP is not.
UDI is compatible with HDCP. DP uses a different encryption developed by Philips.
Okay, The DP plug is pretty small. But look at UDI:


UDI on the left, HDMI on the right

UDI or DisplayPort. Compare performances, promoters, actors. Bet on which will win.
post #5 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by Cosmos 1999
VESA DisplayPort and Intel UDI are different and compete on the same ring to replace both DVI and HDMI.

Apple is behind UDI (Unified Display Interface) promoted by Intel ans supported by both ATI and NVIDIA (the LCD HDTV leader Samsung too, and LG-Philips, Silicon Image Inc, National Semiconductor, Analogix Semiconductor, FCI Connect, Foxconn, Redmere Technologies, JAE Electronics, and Sure-Fire Electronics, THine Electronics).

Version 0.8 of the UDI specification has already been published, with version 1.0 due in Q2 2006.
See the Unified Display Interface web site at www.udisig.org

The three companies behing DP are HP, Dell and Lenovo: 3 computer firms. They don't make TVs (well... some TVs but they are not big TV makers such as Samsung or LG). More important, they don't make the video-out in their PCs neither, because the graphic cards are made by Intel, ATI and NVIDIA... supporters of UDI.

UDI is compatible with DVI signals. DP is not.
UDI is compatible with HDMI video signals. DP is not.
UDI is compatible with HDCP. DP uses a different encryption developed by Philips.
Okay, The DP plug is pretty small. But look at UDI:


UDI on the left, HDMI on the right

UDI or DisplayPort. Compare performances, promoters, actors. Bet on which will win.

This is compatable with DVI. HDMI is basically DVI with the audio following in the same cable through the connector. Both UDI and DP are compatable with HDMI, ergo, they are compatable with DVI as well.

I don't know where you're getting your info from, but it's wrong. If you read the article I posted, you will see that;

"Displayport provides a common signalling approach for internal and external displays applicable to PCs, monitors, TV displays and projectors.

Displayport will also provide legacy compatibility with DVI 1.0. "
post #6 of 13
OK, so I'm wrong on this one. Apologies.
I read this from Engadget (but indeed they are wrong): "it'll not be backward compatible with with DVI / VGA (ouch), it'll have wire-line encryption developed by Philips -- that's not compatible with HDCP (double ouch)"
Engadget didn't read correctly their source: DisplayPort is not compatible with VGA nor HDMi with HDCP, but it is with DVI-D w/o DRM.

BTW here is a diagram of DisplayPort:
post #7 of 13
So what was the problem with HDMI?
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
post #8 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by onlooker
So what was the problem with HDMI?

The technology is DVI era. It won't run Apple's 30" monitor. These new interfaces will. And higher.
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally posted by melgross
The technology is DVI era. It won't run Apple's 30" monitor. These new interfaces will. And higher.

But don't all Apple cinema displays use DVI?
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
post #10 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by onlooker
But don't all Apple cinema displays use DVI?

Yes, but it's a dual DVI signal through one connector to give the bandwidth. Very few boards can do that. It also doesn't handle audio the way HDMI does. But, HDMI is just one channel video, so it can't feed the 30" displays.
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally posted by melgross
It also doesn't handle audio the way HDMI does. But, HDMI is just one channel video, so it can't feed the 30" displays.

OK for the dual-link limitation of DVI. But don't forget HDMI is the only one which carries audio along video, neither DisplayPort nor UDI will carry audio. Just video.

Here you can find a big comparative table between DisplayPort, LVDS, DVI, and HDMI (but not UDI).
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally posted by Cosmos 1999
OK for the dual-link limitation of DVI. But don't forget HDMI is the only one which carries audio along video, neither DisplayPort nor UDI will carry audio. Just video.

Here you can find a big comparative table between DisplayPort, LVDS, DVI, and HDMI (but not UDI).

The very link you give quite clearly states that DisplayPort supports audio.
post #13 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by Cosmos 1999
OK for the dual-link limitation of DVI. But don't forget HDMI is the only one which carries audio along video, neither DisplayPort nor UDI will carry audio. Just video.

Here you can find a big comparative table between DisplayPort, LVDS, DVI, and HDMI (but not UDI).

That's not quite correct. It can include audio, or not.

I would post a picture, but my posting window doesn't have the "browse" button.

Here is a quote from the UDI SIG

"What happens when I plug a UDI PC into an HDMI TV? Will I hear audio?
If a PC simply supports UDI, then audio will not be sent along the link. Audio will need to be supported through another traditional means such as the SPDIF or analog audio jacks from the PC. Regarding video signals, an HDMI-compatible TV that also supports the UDI specification will see video of the same quality as if being driven by a HDMI host.

If a PC design supports both UDI and HDMI, then the PC will detect that it has interfaced with a HDMI TV and automatically go into HDMI mode. The PC will act like any other typical HDMI host and send both video and audio to the TV."

Suffice to say that it can contain audio.


The link to the UDI SIG

This page contains the PDF:

http://www.udisig.org/news_events/idf_s06_udisig
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Displayport 1.0 standard