or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › News Brief: Apple ramps MacBook production
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

News Brief: Apple ramps MacBook production

post #1 of 149
Thread Starter 
Rumors that Apple Computer may finally be on the verge of introducing its first consumer Intel notebooks are true, AppleInsider has learned.

Development of the 13-inch widescreen portables wrapped up last month. Ever since, the Cupertino, Calif.-based company has been waiting for the signal from its marketing division to begin manufacturing ramp and rollout procedures.

According to well-placed sources, Apple began building the new notebooks -- expected to be called MacBooks -- sometime last week. It's believed that Asustek is handling production.

Each MacBook is expected to sport Core Duo processors from Intel Corp and pack novelties such as a completely magnetic latching system, built in iSight video camera, and MagSafe power adapter. Additionally, each MacBook is expected to come bundled with Apple's Front Row and PhotoBooth software applications.

People who have seen prototypes of the much anticipated Apple consumer notebook have described it as looking like a smaller version of the company's MacBook Pro, only clad in iMac white. There's also the possibility that the notebooks will be made available in fashionable hues, these people have said.

The 13-inch MacBook will succeed Apple's iBook line of notebooks, replacing both the 12- and 14-inch offerings, AppleInsider has been told.

An official announcement remains on track for "this month" with the possibility that Apple will hold a press conference to usher in the notebooks next Tuesday.
post #2 of 149
Oh how I will miss the 12" powerbook - IMHO the best of the PB offerrings for the mobile warrior.....
post #3 of 149
1. Why was manufacturing waiting on marketing???

2. I think the iBook>Macbook changes will be like the DS>DS Lite changes: thinner, sharper corners, less clunk. And I'll want one.
post #4 of 149
Quote:
Originally posted by ipodandimac
1. Why was manufacturing waiting on marketing???

Because in today's world the Business Geeks boss the nerds. Pretty sad when you think about it...
Hard-Core.
Reply
Hard-Core.
Reply
post #5 of 149
Quote:
Originally posted by AppleInsider
An official announcement remains on track for "this month" with the possibility that Apple will hold a press conference to usher in the notebooks next Tuesday.

Just a thought but if there was a press conference next tuesday, wouldn't the press need to be invited\
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #6 of 149
Just visualizing this computer makes me want one even more. I can't wait to see what it looks like.
"Humankind -- despite its artistic pretensions, its sophistication, and its many accomplishments -- owes its existence to a six-inch layer of topsoil and the fact that it rains."
Reply
"Humankind -- despite its artistic pretensions, its sophistication, and its many accomplishments -- owes its existence to a six-inch layer of topsoil and the fact that it rains."
Reply
post #7 of 149
omg thank god i sold my ibook yesterday!
post #8 of 149
Don't they know that 13(") is an unlucky number?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #9 of 149
Quote:
Originally posted by AppleInsider

The 13-inch MacBook will succeed Apple's iBook line of notebooks, replacing both the 12- and 14-inch offerings, AppleInsider has been told.

But the big question is:
Will it replace the 12" Powerbook as well? Merge pb12 and iBook into one?
Or is the rumoured "Mac Book Thin" gonna take over the 12"? Or is a smaller MacBook Pro also in the works?

PowerBook 12" is the best notebook ever by Apple in my opinion. If the new intel iBook will have a graphics card that can drive two displays, as well as no too significant tradeoffs when it comes to other specs, I think this one will replace the pb12 as well. And by doing so, Apple's new consumer laptop line will gain more kudos in the "post consumer" world.

The previous iBook was a little too "consumer" after all. Questionable display performance and squeeky plastic sounds when you adjust the display etc. iBook was more like what iPod Shuffle is to the iPod lineup. I hope the new one will move up a step.
post #10 of 149
Quote:
Originally posted by ipodandimac
1. Why was manufacturing waiting on marketing???

Because marketing makes decisions about product announcement and release.
post #11 of 149
let's just hope that excessive heat/whining/whatever issues do not plague this model. I foresee many students purchasing these, including me. I don't want to suffer through school with returning it for repair & whatnot.
an aye for an eye, the truth is a lie; a fish cannot whistle & neither can I.
Reply
an aye for an eye, the truth is a lie; a fish cannot whistle & neither can I.
Reply
post #12 of 149
iMac white sounds nice. That means it would have the clear plastic polymer over the white color vs. the plain white on today's iBooks. Hoping this is true. I can't stand the iBook shell.
iPad2 16 GB Wifi

Who is worse? A TROLL or a person that feeds & quotes a TROLL? You're both idiots.....
Reply
iPad2 16 GB Wifi

Who is worse? A TROLL or a person that feeds & quotes a TROLL? You're both idiots.....
Reply
post #13 of 149
Quote:
Originally posted by Ireland
Just a thought but if there was a press conference next tuesday, wouldn't the press need to be invited\

Stop confusing us with logic.

Anyway, this sounds like a great notebook to replace an old G3 iBook around here. Hopefully the base model will be $999 or less.

Any ideas if we'll get a (not so super anymore) superdrive?
post #14 of 149
Quote:
Originally posted by aplnub
Because in today's world the Business Geeks boss the nerds. Pretty sad when you think about it...

And, in this company, Jobs is the biggest Business Geek of them all. He makes the decision.

Does anybody here doubt that?
post #15 of 149
Quote:
Originally posted by palegolas
But the big question is:
Will it replace the 12" Powerbook as well? Merge pb12 and iBook into one?
Or is the rumoured "Mac Book Thin" gonna take over the 12"? Or is a smaller MacBook Pro also in the works?

PowerBook 12" is the best notebook ever by Apple in my opinion. If the new intel iBook will have a graphics card that can drive two displays, as well as no too significant tradeoffs when it comes to other specs, I think this one will replace the pb12 as well. And by doing so, Apple's new consumer laptop line will gain more kudos in the "post consumer" world.

The previous iBook was a little too "consumer" after all. Questionable display performance and squeeky plastic sounds when you adjust the display etc. iBook was more like what iPod Shuffle is to the iPod lineup. I hope the new one will move up a step.

It's funny, but I know a number of engineers, who over the last several years have moved to the Mac. Most of them, practical people that they are, bought a 12" PB.
post #16 of 149
Once again I'm gonna paste my predictions:

Quote:
Originally posted by ecking
$999 MackBook
13.3" Widescreen
1.66GHz Intel Core Duo processor
512MB memory (Expandable to 2GB)
40GB 4200rpm HD
Combo Drive
Intel GMA950 64MB shared
Built-in AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth 2.0
Built in iSight
Apple Remote

$1299 MacBook
13.3" Widescreen
1.66GHz Intel Core Duo processor
512MB memory (Expandable to 2GB)
60GB 5400rpm HD
SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Intel GMA950 64MB shared
Built-in AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth 2.0
Built in iSight
Apple Remote

$1499 MacBook
13.3" Widescreen
1.66GHz Intel Core Duo processor
512MB memory (Expandable to 2GB)
80GB 5400rpm HD
SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)
ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 with 128MB GDDR3 memory
Built-in AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth 2.0
Built in iSight
Apple Remote

I even orignally said that I thought the macbook pro and macbook designs were going to be very similiar
Just so everyone knows I said this wayyyyy back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Reply
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Reply
post #17 of 149
Quote:
Originally posted by ecking
Once again I'm gonna paste my predictions:



I even orignally said that I thought the macbook pro and macbook designs were going to be very similiar
Just so everyone knows I said this wayyyyy back.

I just hope that they maintain the $999 number.

After all of the talk here, and elsewhere, about Intel iBooks going for $899, and even $799, I just want them to stay where they are.
post #18 of 149
MACKBOOK!
thats the one i want

Quote:
Originally posted by ecking
Once again I'm gonna paste my predictions:



I even orignally said that I thought the macbook pro and macbook designs were going to be very similiar
Just so everyone knows I said this wayyyyy back.
post #19 of 149
As an engineering student, I do have to say that a number of pc users switched over and bought 12" powerbooks. Its just the most practical computer. THe only complaint is that solidworks and other modeling software are not for os x. well, that and an os x native version of matlab would be nice...maybe someday. I don't know what the future of the 12" powerbook is, but I sure love mine.

David


Quote:
Originally posted by melgross
It's funny, but I know a number of engineers, who over the last several years have moved to the Mac. Most of them, practical people that they are, bought a 12" PB.
David W.
The University of Texas at Austin
Mechanical Engineering | LBJ School of Public Affairs
www.davidwogan.us
Reply
David W.
The University of Texas at Austin
Mechanical Engineering | LBJ School of Public Affairs
www.davidwogan.us
Reply
post #20 of 149
I'm going to reiterate my own predictions. I still think they're plausible (though probably not perfect).

1.66 GHz Core Solo
  • 13.3" 1280x800 display
  • 512 MB DDR2 667 MHz RAM
  • 60 GB 5400 RPM hard drive
  • GMA950 graphics
  • Combo drive
  • $999

1.66 GHz Core Duo
  • 13.3" 1280x800 display
  • 512 MB DDR2 667 MHz RAM
  • 80 GB 5400 RPM hard drive
  • 64 MB GeForce Go 7300 graphics
  • 8X Superdrive DL
  • $1499

I'm sure that price gap will seem huge for some people, but Apple will likely need to cover two markets at once with the MacBook: the school market, which is usually budget-conscious (amongst both faculty and students), as well as the mid-range that wants something closer to a mobile iMac than a Mac mini.

Before anyone asks, there are certain differences I think are entirely possible: the base price could be higher ($1099, for instance), the base CPU could be slower, and so forth. But I think it's reasonable to assume that the MacBook has to be the "all things to all men" laptop, and has to be priced accordingly.
post #21 of 149
In Apple's Hot News, they include the E3 Expo event on 10-12 May. That is generally known as a gaming event, and given the status of games on the Mac, Apple's presence does seem a bit odd.

So possibly Apple is planning to release the MacBook either the day before or at the Expo with a simple press release. And then use the gathering at the Expo to show it off, though not as a gaming solution (unless you use Boot Camp).
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
Reply
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
Reply
post #22 of 149
Is anybody else wondering why the hell they didn't use magnetic clips on laptops years ago? I had a g3 ibook a few years back and every day as I fumbled with the latch, I thought why don't they just use a freakin' magnet. Finally, somebody does something about it. Did they use magnets on the macbook pro?
post #23 of 149
Quote:
Originally posted by mark2005
In Apple's Hot News, they include the E3 Expo event on 10-12 May. That is generally known as a gaming event, and given the status of games on the Mac, Apple's presence does seem a bit odd.

So possibly Apple is planning to release the MacBook either the day before or at the Expo with a simple press release. And then use the gathering at the Expo to show it off, though not as a gaming solution (unless you use Boot Camp).

That's a good point. I had fogotten about that, avid gamer that I'm not.
post #24 of 149
Quote:
Originally posted by Marvin
Is anybody else wondering why the hell they didn't use magnetic clips on laptops years ago? I had a g3 ibook a few years back and every day as I fumbled with the latch, I thought why don't they just use a freakin' magnet. Finally, somebody does something about it. Did they use magnets on the macbook pro?

For the same reason new products come out all the time. Nobody thought of it before.
post #25 of 149
Quote:
Originally posted by Marvin
Is anybody else wondering why the hell they didn't use magnetic clips on laptops years ago? I had a g3 ibook a few years back and every day as I fumbled with the latch, I thought why don't they just use a freakin' magnet. Finally, somebody does something about it. Did they use magnets on the macbook pro?

Yes, this latches tech has been arround since the "new" TiPowerbook... For some reason, AI thought apple was going MAGNET CRAZY because they later included it in the iMac to hold the remote.
post #26 of 149
Quote:
Originally posted by AppleInsider
There's also the possibility that the notebooks will be made available in fashionable hues, these people have said.

Noooooooooooooo!!!!
post #27 of 149
Quote:
Originally posted by satchmo
Noooooooooooooo!!!!

thanks for that, vader.
my wife loves her bondi blue ibook, i'm sure she'd be happy if her next laptop were also colorful. and less prone to getting crud trapped inside the plastics.
>>< drow ><<
Reply
>>< drow ><<
Reply
post #28 of 149
Here's comparably configured Powerbook vs. iBook

Powerbook
$1,499.00
12.1-inch TFT Display
1.5GHz PowerPC G4
512MB memory
80GB 5400 rpm hard drive
Slot-load 8x SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)
NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200 graphics card with 64MB DDR memory
64MB of DDR SDRAM video memory

iBook
$1099.00
12.1-inch TFT Display
1.33GHz PowerPC G4
512MB memory
80GB Ultra ATA hard drive
Combo Drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)
ATI Mobility Radeon 9550
32MB DDR video memory

So basically for an extra 500 bucks you get a slight speedbump, a dvd burner and a different graphics card. I don't think that's a good deal. So I don't really see why so many people are so attached to the 12" powerbook, you're not getting as much bang for your buck as you are with the iBook. It's priced higher because it's a "pro" machine and the pros will pay more unnecessarily.
post #29 of 149
Quote:
Originally posted by DeaPeaJay
So I don't really see why so many people are so attached to the 12" powerbook, you're not getting as much bang for your buck as you are with the iBook.

The keyboard is a significant reason why some people prefer the PB over the iBook.

The 12" PB was never attractive enough for me over an iBook because both have 1024x768 displays.
post #30 of 149
Quote:
Originally posted by melgross
I just hope that they maintain the $999 number.

After all of the talk here, and elsewhere, about Intel iBooks going for $899, and even $799, I just want them to stay where they are.

Why? Is there a particular reason that doesn't involve the fact that you are a shareholder? Or do you think the quality would go down a bit as a result? Or is it something else?

I wouldn't mind seeing a lower starting price, but knowing Apple, I really doubt it would happen. I would call it a fantasy.
post #31 of 149
Quote:
Originally posted by DeaPeaJay

Powerbook
$1,499.00

[...]

iBook
$1,099.00

[...]

So basically for an extra 500 bucks you get a slight [...][/B]

Actually it's 400 extra bucks, but as far as I'm concerned you're absolutely right, though.
post #32 of 149
Quote:
Originally posted by sjk
The keyboard is a significant reason why some people prefer the PB over the iBook.

The 12" PB was never attractive enough for me over an iBook because both have 1024x768 displays.

speaking from an asthetic standpoint I like the PB better, but not enough to pay that much extra, that's why I got my iBook originally.

I think Apple recognizes this, and that's why they dropped it.
post #33 of 149
Quote:
Originally posted by DeaPeaJay
Here's comparably configured Powerbook vs. iBook

....

So basically for an extra 500 bucks you get a slight speedbump, a dvd burner and a different graphics card. I don't think that's a good deal. So I don't really see why so many people are so attached to the 12" powerbook, you're not getting as much bang for your buck as you are with the iBook. It's priced higher because it's a "pro" machine and the pros will pay more unnecessarily.

I wouldn't be surprised if the new consumer unit had integrated graphics. That would be a valid reason for some people to go up a product line.

I woudn't mind paying the small premium for the nicer looking unit, I like the metal look and I don't like white in a computer, and it might project a better image. The Powerbook version is thinner and smaller too. I don't know if I'd pay $400 just for that though.
post #34 of 149
Once again, my predictions:

13" MacBook Core Solo
1.5 GHz Intel Core Solo
512 MB of RAM
60 GB HD
Combo drive
13" widescreen display
1 inch thick and 3.9 lbs
$799

13" MacBook Core Duo
1.66 GHz Intel Core Duo
512 MB RAM
80 GB HD
SuperDrive
Same weight, thickness, and display as Core Solo model
$999

15" MacBook Core Duo
1.66 GHz Intel Core Duo
512 MB RAM
80 GB HD
SuperDrive
15" widescreen display (same as 15" MacBook Pro)
1 inch thick and 5 lbs
$1199

All models would feature 2 USB 2.0 ports and 1 FireWire 400 port, Intel GMA950 graphics, AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth, Sudden Motion Sensor, and Front Row with Apple Remote.
post #35 of 149
Quote:
Originally posted by melgross
I just hope that they maintain the $999 number.

After all of the talk here, and elsewhere, about Intel iBooks going for $899, and even $799, I just want them to stay where they are.

Considering that they will be adding the iSight cam, mag-safe connector, a more expensive 13 widescreen LCD and a more expensive core-duo processor, I'd say chances are extremely slim that the price-point will remain at $999.

Afterall the Mac mini price increased $100.. Expect the MacBook price to increase a minimum of $100 too.
post #36 of 149
Quote:
Originally posted by iNtel iNside
Once again, my predictions:

13" MacBook Core Solo
1.5 GHz Intel Core Solo
512 MB of RAM
60 GB HD
Combo drive
13" widescreen display
1 inch thick and 3.9 lbs
$799


No way in hell this is possible... First of all the article said all models will include a core-duo processor.. Secondly, the core-duo Mac mini wich costs $799 has the lowest profit margin of any computer Apple has ever sold.. The MacBook costs will be considerably more expensive to build than a mini.. The 13 widescreen LCD alone is an additional $143, plus the iSight cam, mag-safe connector and larger case enclosure, you are looking at a minimum of $1099 for the base-model. I mean, Intel has recently lowered prices on the core-duo processor, but it is still more expensive than the previous generations G4 chip.

Apple is certainly trying to be more price competitive as of late, but we need to be realistic here.. There is absolutely NO WAY to build a MacBook with these specs and still be priced at $799.. It's simply not posssible, unless you expect Apple to lose money on each unit sold and we all know thats not gonna happen! Based on Mac minis pricing, we're looking at $1099 for a base-model MacBook.
post #37 of 149
Quote:
Originally posted by solsun
Considering that they will be adding the iSight cam, mag-safe connector, a more expensive 13 widescreen LCD and a more expensive core-duo processor, I'd say chances are extremely slim that the price-point will remain at $999.

Afterall the Mac mini price increased $100.. Expect the MacBook price to increase a minimum of $100 too.

And integrated graphics is going to be in all but perhaps a 'high end' macbook, if at all. People are kidding themselves otherwise.
post #38 of 149
Quote:
Originally posted by backtomac
And integrated graphics is going to be in all but perhaps a 'high end' macbook, if at all. People are kidding themselves otherwise.

Agreed, integrated graphics are a given.
post #39 of 149
Quote:
Originally posted by iNtel iNside
Once again, my predictions:

13" MacBook Core Solo
1.5 GHz Intel Core Solo
512 MB of RAM
60 GB HD
Combo drive
13" widescreen display
1 inch thick and 3.9 lbs
$799

13" MacBook Core Duo
1.66 GHz Intel Core Duo
512 MB RAM
80 GB HD
SuperDrive
Same weight, thickness, and display as Core Solo model
$999

15" MacBook Core Duo
1.66 GHz Intel Core Duo
512 MB RAM
80 GB HD
SuperDrive
15" widescreen display (same as 15" MacBook Pro)
1 inch thick and 5 lbs
$1199

All models would feature 2 USB 2.0 ports and 1 FireWire 400 port, Intel GMA950 graphics, AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth, Sudden Motion Sensor, and Front Row with Apple Remote.



Your predictions were probably as close to what I've had in mind to date. Now, here are my predictions

MacBook Core Duo Basic
13.3" widscreen display
1.66 GHz Intel Core Duo
512 MB of RAM
40 GB HD
32MB ATI Mobility Radeon (whatever is comparable to what was placed in the iBook G3)
Combo drive
1 inch thick and 3.9 lbs
$899

MacBook Core Duo Medium
1.87 GHz Intel Core Duo
512 MB RAM
60 GB HD
64MB ATI Mobility Radeon (whatever is comparable to what was placed in the iBook G3)
SuperDrive
Same weight, thickness, and display as Core Solo model
$1099

MacBook Core Duo High
13.3" widescreen display
1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo
1 GB RAM
80 GB HD
128MB ATI Mobility Radeon X1600
SuperDrive DL
1 inch thick and 4.5 lbs
$1499

I realize that the high is pretty close to the 15" MacBook Pro, so I am not completely ruling out the possibility of a Core Solo. I doubt (hope rather) that they chose to not go to the Intel integrated graphics. However, for students, the base Solo and Intel graphics may not be that bad. Apple tends to go towards quality over pulling a product down to fit in the price. Being a student, I'd rather take a hit in the Hard Drive, rather than the graphics card. A solo would be fine for me - I am planning on getting one regardless. All models will have iSight, AirPort Extreme wireless networking, Front Row, Remote and Photobooth. Anyway, we can all guess but we'll find out how it goes soon enough.
post #40 of 149
Quote:
Originally posted by solsun
Agreed, integrated graphics are a given.

A month ago i would say: you're right.
Now I think dedicated graphics is a possibility...

The Mac mini is not the computer Apple wants to sell you.
They want you to buy an iMac.

Mac mini is the Mac soso (It's in the name: Mac mini )
The MacBook is a "real" Mac.

Anyway... I hope.
alles sal reg kom
Reply
alles sal reg kom
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › News Brief: Apple ramps MacBook production