or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › First 17-inch MacBook Pros land in users hands
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

First 17-inch MacBook Pros land in users hands

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
The first of Apple Computer's new 17-inch MacBook Pro professional notebook began arriving in the hands of its US-based customers on Monday, tipsters tell AppleInsider.

One Mac user, who was among the first to place orders for the new notebook on April 24th, said his 17-inch MacBook arrived via FedEx on Monday.

The new notebook shipped to the user from Shanghai by way of Alaska.

Meanwhile, an Apple seminar posting making the rounds touts a May 10th event at a CompUSA location where attendees can "hear about the most affordable iBook ever."

Though some tipsters have suggested the listing may foreshadow an introduction of new 13-inch MacBook consumer notebooks this week, it appears the seminar has been a reoccurring event at the Apple reseller ever since Apple introduced its new G4 iBooks.

According to industry sources, Apple began manufacturing the new MacBooks at its manufacturing facilities in the Far East a little over a week ago. These sources said the company remains on-track to introduce the new notebooks "this month."

The MacBooks are expected to sport Core Duo processors from Intel Corp., come in more than one color and include such features as a completely magnetic latching system, built in iSight video camera, and MagSafe power adapter.

Each MacBook is also expected to come bundled with Apple's Front Row and PhotoBooth software applications.

The new notebooks will also retain a FireWire 400 port, addition to two USB ports, and ship inside stylish retail boxes that are only marginally thicker than the computers themselves.

Update: One early 17-inch MacBook Pro adopter has posted an image gallery with unpacking photos.
post #2 of 14
Hey, is it "this month" or tomorrow? What gives?
post #3 of 14
Quote:
Originally posted by bikertwin
Hey, is it "this month" or tomorrow? What gives?

I get the impression it's very likely 'sometime this month' and possibly, but not definitely, 'tomorrow'.
post #4 of 14
Thin boxes ... reminds me of the iPods ... hey, why not ship the MacBooks with their own soft pouch just like the nano started doing like a week after I got my one!

The thin plasticky foam sleeve my PowerBook came wrapped in is still fine after 3 years in the box ontop of a bookshelf, but no way would I carry around my Mac in that!
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally posted by fuyutsuki
Thin boxes ... reminds me of the iPods ... hey, why not ship the MacBooks with their own soft pouch just like the nano started doing like a week after I got my one!

The thin plasticky foam sleeve my PowerBook came wrapped in is still fine after 3 years in the box ontop of a bookshelf, but no way would I carry around my Mac in that!

When I hear Fuyutsuki, I think GTO.

That aside, I think thin packaging sounds really nifty. Maybe all those black-shrouded pallets are indeed populated by many, many MacBooks. Deceptive!
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally posted by fuyutsuki
[B]Thin boxes ... reminds me of the iPods ... hey, why not ship the MacBooks with their own soft pouch just like the nano started doing like a week after I got my one!

No, I think you have to buy one first, and then one week later they'll start shipping them with their own soft pouch.

Yeah, that nano pouch thing happened to me too.
post #7 of 14
Hey guys, I need quick question answered. Probably wrong forum but hope someone knows the answer.

I know it's possible to create mpeg2 and mpeg4 files under OS X. (i presume quicktime pro can do this). Is there app that can convert AVI files to that format?. Read AVI files?. Also let me know if there are other programs than quicktime that can do Mpeg2 and mpeg4. I have a friend that is trying to convert data from a camcorder to Mpeg2 and 4. I think he's considering getting a mac (he's been doing this on a linux box for a while and wants to know the mac capabilities). A good answer might persuade him to get a mac. Thanks..

PS. Let me know proper place to direct a question like this in the future (web sites, forum etc).
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally posted by wnurse
Hey guys, I need quick question answered. Probably wrong forum but hope someone knows the answer.

I know it's possible to create mpeg2 and mpeg4 files under OS X. (i presume quicktime pro can do this). Is there app that can convert AVI files to that format?. Read AVI files?. Also let me know if there are other programs than quicktime that can do Mpeg2 and mpeg4. I have a friend that is trying to convert data from a camcorder to Mpeg2 and 4. I think he's considering getting a mac (he's been doing this on a linux box for a while and wants to know the mac capabilities). A good answer might persuade him to get a mac. Thanks..

PS. Let me know proper place to direct a question like this in the future (web sites, forum etc).

I reckon that question would go into the Applications Subforum.

Right for watching things, I use VLC which seems to play everything.
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

As for conversion, I have only converted stuff to play on PSP, but the tool I use looks like it could do all the other stuff, its called ffmpegX.
http://homepage.mac.com/major4/
Its a little trickier to install than other programs (you have to download a couple of extra files) not really rocket science!! Also it is shareware ($15) but you can try it for free.

Hopefully these should do what you want, If they dont then there is no doubt that the programs exist, I just don't know about them!!

stu
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally posted by stustanley
I reckon that question would go into the Applications Subforum.

Right for watching things, I use VLC which seems to play everything.
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

As for conversion, I have only converted stuff to play on PSP, but the tool I use looks like it could do all the other stuff, its called ffmpegX.
http://homepage.mac.com/major4/
Its a little trickier to install than other programs (you have to download a couple of extra files) not really rocket science!! Also it is shareware ($15) but you can try it for free.

Hopefully these should do what you want, If they dont then there is no doubt that the programs exist, I just don't know about them!!

stu

Thanks. I did find out that quicktime pro can do a lot of conversions also. Anyway, i have given him all the info.. hopefully he chooses to get a mac.
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally posted by wnurse
Thanks. I did find out that quicktime pro can do a lot of conversions also. Anyway, i have given him all the info.. hopefully he chooses to get a mac.

Yep, I don't think he will regret it if he does. I switched a year and a half ago and wouldn't go back!

stu
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally posted by wnurse
Hey guys, I need quick question answered. Probably wrong forum but hope someone knows the answer.

I know it's possible to create mpeg2 and mpeg4 files under OS X. (i presume quicktime pro can do this). Is there app that can convert AVI files to that format?. Read AVI files?. Also let me know if there are other programs than quicktime that can do Mpeg2 and mpeg4. I have a friend that is trying to convert data from a camcorder to Mpeg2 and 4. I think he's considering getting a mac (he's been doing this on a linux box for a while and wants to know the mac capabilities). A good answer might persuade him to get a mac. Thanks..

PS. Let me know proper place to direct a question like this in the future (web sites, forum etc).

If you download and install the Divx codec for mac (http://www.divx.com/divx/mac/), you can do the whole thing right in Quicktime Pro. As far as other programs, VLC (mentioned above) can view almost anything.

I would also recommend the Flip4Mac Plugin... it lets you view and create WMV files right in Quicktime - no need for windows media player. Unfortunately I still keep real player around for those oddball files... somebody needs to tell them they lost the media player wars.
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally posted by wnurse
Hey guys, I need quick question answered. Probably wrong forum but hope someone knows the answer.

I know it's possible to create mpeg2 and mpeg4 files under OS X. (i presume quicktime pro can do this). Is there app that can convert AVI files to that format?. Read AVI files?. Also let me know if there are other programs than quicktime that can do Mpeg2 and mpeg4. I have a friend that is trying to convert data from a camcorder to Mpeg2 and 4. I think he's considering getting a mac (he's been doing this on a linux box for a while and wants to know the mac capabilities). A good answer might persuade him to get a mac. Thanks..

PS. Let me know proper place to direct a question like this in the future (web sites, forum etc).

If you want to convert them look up "MPEG Streamclip", it's free and can do pretty much any conversion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Reply
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Reply
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally posted by ecking
If you want to convert them look up "MPEG Streamclip", it's free and can do pretty much any conversion.

MPEG Streamclip is free, but the Apple QuickTime MPEG-2 Playback Component it uses is $20.

wnurse: VideoHelp.com Mac Forum is a useful video-related resource.
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally posted by gloss
I get the impression it's very likely 'sometime this month' and possibly, but not definitely, 'tomorrow'.

Ah, yes, it's looking increasingly less likely that it will be tomorrow.

Bummer. \
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › First 17-inch MacBook Pros land in users hands