or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple's MacBook, iPod changes due later this month

Apple's MacBook, iPod changes due later this month

post #1 of 62
Apple Computer's highly anticipated line of Intel-based MacBook consumer notebooks may not turn up on Tuesday as several online reports and analysts have suggested, AppleInsider has learned.

Although Apple reportedly began manufacturing the notebooks over a week ago, sources say the Mac maker is unlikely to unveil the computers until the following week at the earliest.

The 13-inch widescreen notebooks will reportedly arrive in tandem with changes to the company's iPod line. However, precisely which versions of Apple's iPod will see such changes is unclear at this time.

Supply and demand data recently seen by AppleInsider suggests that all of the company's iPod models have either reached, or will soon reach, an overall supply and demand balance.

Based on data from the company's US-based distribution partners, demand for iPods has softened considerably over the last few weeks, with the exception of a small uptick in demand for the 30GB fifth-generation iPod and the iPod shuffle.

However, evidence that suggests an increase in iPod shuffle demand could be a result of some channel refill, as noted by Wedbush Morgan Securities analysts last week.

While some reports have suggested that Apple's MacBook was due to arrive at times much earlier in the year, those reports are incorrect, sources have told AppleInsider. At no time did Apple ever anticipate launching an Intel version of its consumer notebook line before the month of April, those sources have said.

On Monday, the first of the company's 17-inch MacBook Pro professional notebooks began arriving US customer's hands. The notebooks went into production last week, shipping out of Shanghai, China this past friday.
post #2 of 62
Say it with me now as we collectively slide our wallets back into our pockets:

"Figures."
post #3 of 62
FIGURES.
post #4 of 62
It makes sense since there has been no invitation from Apple to the unveiling of the MacBooks and I refuse to believe that Apple would release such an important (and redesigned) product without an Apple Special Event.
post #5 of 62
Then what about the claims about Apple stores receiving materials for a new window display that's labeled "do not open until Tuesday, May 9th that macrumors.com reported?
post #6 of 62
They're giant cloth displays that say 'GOTCHA!!'
post #7 of 62
Quote:
Originally posted by gloss
They're giant cloth displays that say 'GOTCHA!!'

A redesigned Mac, especially one as crucial as the iBook/MacBook is going to have a Stevenote and all that goes along with it. No way is it coming out like the MBP 17".

Now the question is: will the MacBook come out the same day as the Central Park Apple Store's grand opening? It'd be quite a day if he did the intro right there!
post #8 of 62
I'm pretty sure they're displays for the new 17" MacBook Pros that just arrived.
post #9 of 62
Quote:
Originally posted by evansls
Then what about the claims about Apple stores receiving materials for a new window display that's labeled "do not open until Tuesday, May 9th that macrumors.com reported?

AppleInsider reported this as well:
http://www.seminars.apple.com/cgi-bi...Id=45540&s=300
post #10 of 62
Has ThinkSecret been right about anything lately?
post #11 of 62
Well, to me, it's no more than logical we won't see a Macbook untill Intel drops the prices on the Core Duos....
post #12 of 62
Quote:

It's promo material for the Red Hot Chili Peppers' Special Edition iPod. It's out tomorrow.
post #13 of 62
This kind of sucks, since I'm torn between waiting for a Macbook and buying a 17" MacBook Pro--the Macbook specs are really the deciding factor. Amazon has a $150 rebate on 17"ers purchased through the end of day tomorrow, and without the rebate it would be a lot harder for me to justify going with the MBP. I was hoping we'd learn the specs tomorrow, since that would make the whole thing much easier for me to sort out. Oh well...
post #14 of 62
Quote:
Originally posted by andrewjnyc
This kind of sucks, since I'm torn between waiting for a Macbook and buying a 17" MacBook Pro--the Macbook specs are really the deciding factor. Amazon has a $150 rebate on 17"ers purchased through the end of day tomorrow, and without the rebate it would be a lot harder for me to justify going with the MBP. I was hoping we'd learn the specs tomorrow, since that would make the whole thing much easier for me to sort out. Oh well...

The MacBook is probably going to look unspeakably cool. But it won't match the MacBook Pro for performance, not until Merom or "Core 2 Duo" as it's to be called comes out from Intel.

Those rebates are always tempting, but personally I'd wait to see both of them out and then maybe even hold out for the 64 bit Core 2 processor. Depends on how urgent your need is. Otherwise the 17" Pro is certainly a machine with some serious legs.
post #15 of 62
So, to paraphrase this article, "sometime, someday Apple will release an Intel version of the iBook and new iPods. And everything we told you about them earlier may or may not be correct (or not)."
post #16 of 62
Quote:
Originally posted by gloss
Say it with me now as we collectively slide our wallets back into our pockets:

"Figures."

Mother f@%$ing figures.
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Quote:

post #17 of 62
maybe that new 12" powerbook I saw on ebay is now looking like a suitable machine for the short term ?
post #18 of 62
It'd be cool if Steve himself dropped the Macbook at the NYC opening on the 19th in front of 6 million flying shutters going off at him, while he was holding it above his head as if it were the head of a lion that he had battled to the death.
Quote:

Quote:

post #19 of 62
Quote:
Originally posted by saleski
maybe that new 12" powerbook I saw on ebay is now looking like a suitable machine for the short term ?

sure, for the next 3 weeks
alles sal reg kom
alles sal reg kom
post #20 of 62
Quote:
Originally posted by saleski

Go for it. It is still a respectable machine in its class.
And the formfactor is pretty priceless.
" I will not commit anything to memory that I can get from another source . . . "
ALBERT EINSTEIN
" I will not commit anything to memory that I can get from another source . . . "
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #21 of 62
Quote:
Originally posted by Booga
So, to paraphrase this article, "sometime, someday Apple will release an Intel version of the iBook and new iPods. And everything we told you about them earlier may or may not be correct (or not)."

Spoken like a true AppleInsider or at the very least like a "investment analyst".
2.0 GHz Macbook, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HD
2.0 GHz Macbook, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HD
post #22 of 62
Quote:
While some reports have suggested that Apple's MacBook was due to arrive at times much earlier in the year, those reports are incorrect, sources have told AppleInsider.

So since the MacBook has not been released you need sources to tell you that in fact they have not been released? This is a little obvious isn't it?
post #23 of 62
Quote:
Originally posted by ecking
It'd be cool if Steve himself dropped the Macbook at the NYC opening on the 19th in front of 6 million flying shutters going off at him, while he was holding it above his head as if it were the head of a lion that he had battled to the death.

That's an interesting idea. When they introduced the mini and the iPod stereo it seemed a bit silly to have a press event. But if Jobs cut the ribbon on the new store, and at the same time introduced the MacBook and maybe even a new iPod, that would be worth it.
post #24 of 62
I want a new macbook accompanied with a video with Jonathan Ive explaining how they went through some serious design faces. Long time ago since Ive was talking to us.
post #25 of 62
Quote:
Originally posted by crees!
So since the MacBook has not been released you need sources to tell you that in fact they have not been released? This is a little obvious isn't it?

They're referring to this:

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0605briefly2.html

...which says near the end:

"While hardware release dates are often subject to last-minute change, sources' reports of an announcement Tuesday suggest that the long-awaited 13.3-inch widescreen MacBook is finally ready to ship. The release was first slated for January, then March, then April or May."

They're you-know-what-ing on the competition.
post #26 of 62
Mac Pro 2.66, 5GB RAM, 250+120 HD, 23" Cinema Display
MacBook 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM
Mac Pro 2.66, 5GB RAM, 250+120 HD, 23" Cinema Display
MacBook 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM
post #27 of 62

Read before post. Aiee.
post #28 of 62
As usual, with Apple, expect the unexpected.
c l o n e n o d e
o n e o f m a n y
c l o n e n o d e
o n e o f m a n y
post #29 of 62
Quote:
Originally posted by clonenode
As usual, with Apple, expect the unexpected.

A 10-inch tablet (sans keyboard) that runs OS X and lets you watch movies, surf the 'net, and read e-mail? From the iPod division?

Cool!
post #30 of 62
Perhaps Apple knew Nintendo was going to steal the tech spotlight for a little while, so they decided to wait a bit before announcing their new consumer products. Ehhh?
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
post #31 of 62
I am actually optimistic at this point. The retail stores recieved something to not open tomorrow, so one way or another some thing/newspiece will release tomorrow. Now, I am no Mac expert (i am a soon-to-be switcher, who has followed Apple for years), but I have yet to find a keynote where an iPod-related AND a desktop/laptop release. While the MacBook will be huge, Apple is still very much more well known for their iPod. My guess is that we very well may see a low-keyed MacBook release now and then see Jobs make a keynote - possibly overview the MacBook, possibly give early stats on how its sold at that point - and then release a sagnificant iPod update. Since this is a retail store, an iPod release will help get people in the door - Mac or Windows users. If the MacBook is released now, by then it will be well established and ready for showcasing next to a new iPod announcement. However, I could very well be wrong. The box could be just a price reductions on the current iBook or iPod. So, we will all await and see.
post #32 of 62
G5 POWERBOOKS ON TUESDAY!!!

I had to do it. LMAO ::evil grin::
post #33 of 62
Quote:
Originally posted by mrkris
Now, I am no Mac expert (i am a soon-to-be switcher, who has followed Apple for years), but I have yet to find a keynote where an iPod-related AND a desktop/laptop release.

MWSF05: Mac mini/ iPod shuffle
Special event, October 2005: iMacG5 iSight / 5G iPod (video)

And this is last year.
alles sal reg kom
alles sal reg kom
post #34 of 62
Quote:

Well, yes and no. We never really explicitly stated anything for Tuesday. We remarked there was a possibility, but our reports maintained the MacBook was on the verge of arriving "this month."

I'll be honest, it's very hard to nail down precise dates given how secretive Apple is and how often they change schedules on a whim. We try our best. I hope to have an update on the MacBook schedule for you guys very soon. Sorry I don't have anything more right now.

Best,

Kasper
EIC- AppleInsider.com
Questions and comments to : kasper@appleinsider.com
EIC- AppleInsider.com
post #35 of 62
Quote:
Originally posted by Kasper
Well, yes and no. We never really explicitly stated anything for Tuesday. We remarked there was a possibility, but our reports maintained the MacBook was on the verge of arriving "this month."

I'll be honest, it's very hard to nail down precise dates given how secretive Apple is and how often they change schedules on a whim. We try our best. I hope to have an update on the MacBook schedule for you guys very soon. Sorry I don't have anything more right now.

Best,

Kasper

If I was a betting man, I'd bet that the MacBooks will arrive in conjunction with the opening of the Central Park Cube (i'd say that will be the 23rd of May)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #36 of 62
Quote:
Originally posted by Ireland
If I was a betting man, I'd bet that the MacBooks will arrive in conjunction with the opening of the Central Park Cube (i'd say that will be the 23rd of May)

That has been a running rumor for a while, behind the scenes. But unless the store opens on a weekday (not including Friday), it's almost impossible. It's all about getting the right media coverage for the new products and that won't happen over the weekend.

Best,

K
EIC- AppleInsider.com
EIC- AppleInsider.com
post #37 of 62
Quote:
AppleInsider reported this as well:
http://www.seminars.apple.com/cgi-bi...Id=45540&s=300

And they pulled it immediately. It means nothing, Apple has been using that exact invite, word for word, for the last few months. Nothing today.

Quote:

I read it more as "ignore Think Secret, they're a bunch of idiots". I'd rather have vague rumors than completely wrong ones.

Quote:
Originally posted by crees!

No, it means simply that the MB was originally planned to be announced around now. People have the impression that it's somehow late, that it was supposed to ship months ago. But that's just a wrong impression given by all the false predictions of an earlier release from TS and other sites.
post #38 of 62
Quote:
Originally posted by Kasper

Best,

Kasper

Remember folks this is a rumours site. If AppleInsider knew stuff for a fact like Apple release schedules, Apple would probably have them shut down or cut somebody's nuts off internally.

Does anyone know what was actually in those 'do not open until...' packages after all??
post #39 of 62
Quote:
Originally posted by minderbinder
I'd rather have vague rumors than completely wrong ones.

I guess. It's just that completely content-less articles seem kind of silly for everyone except AppleInsider's advertising hitcount. Anyone could have written that AppleInsider article-- it contained even less content than the "analysts" predictions. Of course Apple is going to release an Intel-based iBook someday, and I'm sure at some point new iPods will be introduced.

That's not to say I dislike AppleInsider's articles in general-- I love the site. I just think that particular article was kind of pointless. I guess a less toungue-in-cheek summary would have read, "Apple's MacBooks are not expected Tuesday." Much more to the point.
post #40 of 62
Quote:
Originally posted by gar
MWSF05: Mac mini/ iPod shuffle
Special event, October 2005: iMacG5 iSight / 5G iPod (video)

And this is last year.

haha, yeah, actually after i wrote that, the recent Hifi/IntelMini announcement came to mind. Even though it wasn't an iPod it was Pod-related. But, who knows, one would think that Jobs is way past "mulling" on a NY appearence.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple's MacBook, iPod changes due later this month