or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › NSA: Checking the Phones

NSA: Checking the Phones - Page 6

post #201 of 215
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Cuilla
I'm pretty non-partisan.

'L'enfer, c'est les autres' - JPS
'L'enfer, c'est les autres' - JPS
post #202 of 215
For my part, I thought Clinton was one of the better postwar Republican presidents.

However, I consider his and the DNC's notions of "triangulation" and the like to have been poisonous. Republicanism with an "I feel your pain" face. Fuck that noise.

If Al Gore were president today and had been since his lawful election in 2000, and he had done things like invade Iraq on trumped-up charges, hired incompetent cronies in order to stuff the federal government with compliant sycophants, slashed taxes for the wealthy and run-up the national debt like a drunken sailor, you can bet your ass I'd be screaming to high heaven.

Funny thing is, if Al Gore were president and any one of those things were true he would almost certainly be dead or impeached, given the psychotic vitriol heaped on Clinton for made up shit.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #203 of 215
By the way, I don't know how many of you caught Gore's "state of the union" on Saturday Night Live (or have seen it on the web subsequently), but I, for one, was really struck by how Gore's "wooden" delivery now sounds like the gravitas of a statesman, even when doing a comedy sketch.

I mean, compared to the by now all-too-familiar petulant whine of the belligerent little boy whose cowboy schtick a certain population found so compelling.
post #204 of 215
Quote:
Originally posted by midwinter
I railed against Clinton for 8 years and I thought Kerry ran the worst campaign in human history.

My apologies then.

That's one.

EDIT: Frankly, cyncical as it may seem, I don't really trust any of them.
post #205 of 215
Never trust a politician.

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

post #206 of 215
Quote:
Frankly, cyncical as it may seem, I don't really trust any of them.

Nor should you. Ever. Especially this crop from about Reagan through Bush (and I'm talking all stripes and levels, not just the presidency).

I'm so unbelievably pissed off about this immigration business that I can't even see straight....don't people ever get tired of being so brazenly worked up? 9/11! Terror! We're At War! Gay Marriage! Social Security! Immigration!

Ugh. It's disgusting.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
post #207 of 215
Quote:
....don't people ever get tired of being so brazenly worked up? 9/11! Terror! We're At War! Gay Marriage! Social Security! Immigration!

I like the way you put that.
post #208 of 215
Quote:
Originally posted by addabox
By the way, I don't know how many of you caught Gore's "state of the union" on Saturday Night Live (or have seen it on the web subsequently), but I, for one, was really struck by how Gore's "wooden" delivery now sounds like the gravitas of a statesman, even when doing a comedy sketch.

I mean, compared to the by now all-too-familiar petulant whine of the belligerent little boy whose cowboy schtick a certain population found so compelling.

Al Gore's on the rebound. Look for him as the front runner in '08. Gore/Obama?

Plus, a little sincerity can go a long way.
post #209 of 215
Quote:
Nor should you. Ever. Especially this crop from about Reagan through Bush (and I'm talking all stripes and levels, not just the presidency).

I'd go back further (though cut Carter and probably Truman a break...on trustworthiness at least).
post #210 of 215
Quote:
Actually. I did. I'm pretty non-partisan.

Conversely I wonder if addabox, midwinter, Northgate, thuh Freak, sammi_jo, et al would be as critical of a Democrat president? To Clinton? To Gore? To Kerry? Etc.

I was too young to vote during the Clintoncy, but I considered myself a republican at the time. I wrote a number of papers in H.S. attacking Clinton. I chastized my family for voting Clinton in both elections and against W's 1st attempt. I was glad W won his first election (still too young to vote for 'im though). I opposed Mrs. Clinton's bid in my state, and I still do not like her. Never much cared for Gore. I did want Kerry to win (and voted for him); by that time, I considered george a danger to the Republic.
post #211 of 215
Shit. I voted for Bush Sr. TWICE! I also voted for McCain in the primary.

Then I woke up!
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
post #212 of 215
post #213 of 215
Quote:
This article claims that:

- 63 percent of Americans said they found the NSA program to be an acceptable way to investigate terrorism
- 44 percent who strongly endorsed the effort
- 35 percent said the program was unacceptable

A new poll . . . just out"

75% percent of the populace say that Freedom means willing bondage to the power of the President
25% of the population is being slowly monitored into submission
"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

"Narrative is what starts to happen after eight minutes
--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #214 of 215
Quote:
Originally posted by BRussell
I think you stated it later in your post, but I want to reiterate: There absolutely is a constitutionally guaranteed right to privacy. (Not to eat a bagel, though.) In our system of laws, the constitution says what the courts say it says. It is just as much of a right as the right to free speech, whether Chris like his right or not.

One issue that I heard discussed on TV today is that this was a "voluntary" submission of records by the phone companies. The analysts I was listening to said this basically gets the government off the hook, but leaves the phone companies open to massive class-action lawsuits. I don't really buy the idea that the government is off the hook just because they violated the law by asking nicely, but the liability the phone companies might be subject to is interesting. My phone company, Qwest, apparently turned them down.

If you own that bagel, then you are Constitutional protected from anyone dissallowing you to eat it, or rub it against your body, well . . . parts of your body . . . and in private (please!) . . . as long as it is not classified as a controlled substance. . . . as far as I understand it
--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #215 of 215
Quote:
Originally posted by addabox
If Chris doesn't want to weight in, does anyone else have thoughts about what the deal is with the right wing aversion to "the right to privacy"?

I speculate a bit in my post above, am I missing something?

My take on it is this . . . it is the masochistic will towards obediance and submission: the same motive force that makes people want to show their loyalty through arduous tests, or rigorous regimen of order and rules . . . . its grounded in a psycho-sexual denial of pleasure that culminates in
- the joy of the postponed pleasure,
- the fetishization of HE who controls you (be it a system of an individual)
- the fetishization of self-abnegation - be it in the form of testing the self for loyalty and 'honor', or the actual valuing of pain and, yes, horror
- the control of all aspects of the body that leak fluid, or otherwise present a boundary problem: all orifices are scrutinized by rules, regulations and taboos (IE: morals)
- and all this is because the root of this fetishizing of being controlled is ultimately the giving over of personal being and responsibility to a power (rule/system/charism/etc) and therefor the loss of the self and therefor the loss of the body and the implied DEATH that comes with being a body
--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › NSA: Checking the Phones