or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › News Flash: Apple to hold press event next Thursday

News Flash: Apple to hold press event next Thursday

post #1 of 211
Apple Computer next week will hold a special briefing in New York City for analysts and members of the media ahead of the launch of its latest flagship retail store, AppleInsider has learned.

The event is scheduled for Thursday, May 18th at 10am ET, the day before the Mac maker will open a new 20,000-square-foot retail store at 767 Fifth Avenue at 59th Street in Midtown, Manhattan.

In the invites to the event, Apple welcomed analysts and members of the media to preview the new flagship retail location ahead of its grand opening the following evening, but did not hint at any product introductions.

The event appears to be extremely limited in terms of attendance.

Previous reports had indicated that several high-level Apple executives, possibly including chief executive Steve Jobs, are planning to make the trip the Big City in order to usher in the new retail store.

Reliable sources have also pegged next week as a time when Apple is most likely to unveil new products, which may include the much anticipated Intel-based MacBook consumer notebooks and changes to the company's iPod line of digital music players.

However, these sources have recently indicated that the new MacBook could see an announcement without much fanfare sometime earlier in the week. It's unclear precisely when the notebooks would actually begin shipping to customers.

Apple began manufacturing the computers at its manufacturing facilities in the Far East about two weeks ago.
post #2 of 211
I daren't say it.

MacBook?
post #3 of 211
at the 5th av. store?????

Wow!

Steve wanted Macworld to go to NYC perhaps 20,000 sq ft gives him a large platform for a big media event.

What size is the apple campus auditorium?

post #4 of 211
I think Steve J is more than ready to release the MacBook -as well as a new iPod and maybe even something we haven't thought of.

Just makes sense in order to get sales moving again, as well as addressing the education market.
Ken
Ken
post #5 of 211
Quote:
Originally posted by Nine-Seventy
I daren't say it.

MacBook?

Oh, dare.... Dare away.... I think though that the MacBook will finally happen. And that is the day that it will happen.

YEA!!! MacBook!!

-- Mike Eggleston
-- Mac Fanatic since 1984.
-- Proud Member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals
-- Wii #: 8913 3004 4519 2027

-- Mike Eggleston
-- Mac Fanatic since 1984.
-- Proud Member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals
-- Wii #: 8913 3004 4519 2027

post #6 of 211
Dare I say... iPhone.

post #7 of 211
I think it's just for the store. BUT I still predict new MacBooks will come on Tuesday
post #8 of 211
I had heard a rumor that Steve was planning a trip to the Far East. From a Californian's point of view, New York IS the Far East, so the rumor is true.

If you hear he's going to the Middle East, look for him in Chicago. Near East -> Vegas.
post #9 of 211
The article says the invitation is "very limited" -- that doesn't sound right for a big huge MacBook announcement.

I think that Apple feel burned by the negative reaction from the iPod HiFi media event. They probably think that people might react like "Apple lured us all here for a thinner iBook with a camera, Intel, integrated graphics and $100 increase in price???" Let's face it, that is HOW you people are going to react.

Therefore, I would wager they will do a quiet Tuesday release with the requisite press release.

By the way, the knee-jerk "NO INTEGRATED GRAPHICS" thing is quickly becoming this generation's "NO MORE ONE BUTTON MOUSE." 99.9% of you would NEVER know the difference, and the 0.1% that would can bloody get the higher level notebook (you may have heard of the MacBook Pro?).

End rant A $1099 Core Duo MacBook with magsafe, isight, front row... sounds BLOODY BRILLIANT. Now, if it's Core Solo, THEN you may commence your bitching.
post #10 of 211
Quote:
Originally posted by Thataboy
By the way, the knee-jerk "NO INTEGRATED GRAPHICS" thing is quickly becoming this generation's "NO MORE ONE BUTTON MOUSE." 99.9% of you would NEVER know the difference, and the 0.1% that would can bloody get the higher level notebook (you may have heard of the MacBook Pro?).

Actually, I'd vastly prefer a Mac laptop with integrated Intel graphics and 2 buttons (actually, 1 MightyMouse-like button pad) than a laptop with dedicated graphics and 1 button. But really, as long as I'm asking, I'd like both.

And a G5 PowerBook with integrated iPhone dock and FireWire 1600 ports.
post #11 of 211
Quote:
[B]The article says the invitation is "very limited" -- that doesn't sound right for a big huge MacBook announcement.

I think that Apple feel burned by the negative reaction from the iPod HiFi media event. They probably think that people might react like "Apple lured us all here for a thinner iBook with a camera, Intel, integrated graphics and $100 increase in price???" Let's face it, that is HOW you people are going to react.

I don't think Apple was burned. It was the press that was burned.

Apple has to limit their announcements to actual events, not to minor announcements. They should do what most other companies do: release products when they are ready. Not hold them back for events. Apple's stock is on a roller coaster now because of that.

They also lose sales days because they are holding back a product that would sell if they just put it out, and sent out a press release.

If the MacBooks are ready now, then they should be released. I daresay that Apple won't sell even one more, if they wait for some event to announce them, and they lose those sales for the quarter.
post #12 of 211
Quote:
The article says the invitation is "very limited" -- that doesn't sound right for a big huge MacBook announcement.

Therefore, I would wager they will do a quiet Tuesday release with the requisite press release.

End rant A $1099 Core Duo MacBook with magsafe, isight, front row... sounds BLOODY BRILLIANT. Now, if it's Core Solo, THEN you may commence your bitching.

FULL ACK
post #13 of 211
Yes the press WAS burned, but I said Apple FEELS burned. Who reported on the "disappointment" from the iPod HiFi event? The press. For the most part, they didn't say "we really fucked things up by blowing this all out of proportion!" A lot of it was "God Apple WASTED our time."

They passed the buck, wrongfully. But Apple may be on the defensive now to make sure it doesn't happen again.

I think they need to bloody just announce the thing, whether it is ready to ship or not. If it's in production, then the design/specs have been finalized. So I hope they just put out a press release on Tuesday. Then the press on Thursday and the public on Friday can ogle the MacBook in the new store.
post #14 of 211
Quote:
A $1099 Core Duo MacBook with magsafe, isight, front row... sounds BLOODY BRILLIANT. Now, if it's Core Solo, THEN you may commence your bitching.

The $1099 model will most likely (imho) be Core Solo and integrated graphics -- and Apple will tout the 'battery life' it gets as a selling point, failing to mention that you can shut off a processor in a Duo and get the same result.

this whole per watt thing sure has crappy battery life.
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
post #15 of 211
Quote:
Originally posted by sandau
The $1099 model will most likely (imho) be Core Solo and integrated graphics -- and Apple will tout the 'battery life' it gets as a selling point, failing to mention that you can shut off a processor in a Duo and get the same result.

I am fully prepared for the possibility that the low-end MacBook will be Core Solo. It won't shock me. But it would disappoint me. Is ANYONE else putting out Core Solo laptops? I guess someone is, but I keep seeing all these affordable, low-end Core Duo PC laptops being introduced. I feel like NO one is interested in the Core Solo (leave it for a UMPC or something).

Apple can make the MacBooks Core Duo, and the MacBook Pro revisions Core 2 Duo (whenever they come out, what, sometime in early autumn?). I hope Apple doesn't make the MacBook Core Solo simply to differentiate the consumer from the pro lines. That would be WICKED lame.
post #16 of 211
Quote:
That would be WICKED lame.

Naturally...
post #17 of 211
Quote:

That would be a mistake. One can easily purchase a core DUO laptop at dell for $750. I configured one with a graphics card for $1200. Apple can and should release a Macbook with a 1.66 ghz Core duo and intergrated graphics for $999.
post #18 of 211
Quote:
Originally posted by Nine-Seventy
I daren't say it.

Oh you really wanted to say something else.
I'll say it for you.....FIRST POST!

MacBook?
yeah, I'm on Google Talk! dimplemonkey@gmail.com
yeah, I'm on Google Talk! dimplemonkey@gmail.com
post #19 of 211
Quote:
Originally posted by backtomac
That would be a mistake. One can easily purchase a core DUO laptop at dell for $750. I configured one with a graphics card for $1200. Apple can and should release a Macbook with a 1.66 ghz Core duo and intergrated graphics for $999.

I am making it my JOB to play "expectations manager" here.

EXPECT $1099/$1399. iSight + more expensive chip + new design + early adopter premium = $100 premium. Plus maybe a larger hard drive and more RAM. $100 increase doesn't seem so bad for all that, does it?

My gut says the entry level model will be $1099 Core Duo with integrated graphics. You will see the price drop back to $999/$1299 when the MacBook Pro is revised with Core 2 Duo. At that time, you may also see dedicated graphics because the MacBook Pro will have faster chip to differentiate the lines.
post #20 of 211
Maybe Bono and crew will play a few songs on top of the cube while Woz zips around it with his Segway polo team. Then all we need are some dancing monkeys (mossberg and press) with cymbals crashing as the faithful pour into the depths of the store grabbing at macbooks and ipods.
post #21 of 211
Quote:
Yes the press WAS burned, but I said Apple FEELS burned. Who reported on the "disappointment" from the iPod HiFi event? The press. For the most part, they didn't say "we really fucked things up by blowing this all out of proportion!" A lot of it was "God Apple WASTED our time."

They passed the buck, wrongfully. But Apple may be on the defensive now to make sure it doesn't happen again.

I think they need to bloody just announce the thing, whether it is ready to ship or not. If it's in production, then the design/specs have been finalized. So I hope they just put out a press release on Tuesday. Then the press on Thursday and the public on Friday can ogle the MacBook in the new store.

It was entirely Apple's fault. When a spokesperson releases a press release to the media about a new product, the media doesn't get all excited about it in advance, because they expect something major from the company. When Apple holds a press event, it is telling them that there is something major here, so we want you to attend. The press then has to get an airline ticket from wherever they are, possibly reserve a hotel room, etc, to attend an event which turns out to have been better suited to a simple press release.

I don't blame them for being upset. This damages Apple's credibility. It's the boy who called wolf. We all know about that story.

If Apple is calling an event here for the new store, it had better be something big. While the store is important, it certainly doesn't rank a press event. I'm not even sure that I'll go.

If they use it to intro other major products, that's different. A series of MacBooks as well would count, possibly. If a new iPod was there as well, then it certainly would.

But, not for a store opening, even here, not any more.
post #22 of 211
Quote:
I am making it my JOB to play "expectations manager" here.

EXPECT $1099/$1399. iSight + more expensive chip + new design + early adopter premium = $100 premium. Plus maybe a larger hard drive and more RAM. $100 increase doesn't seem so bad for all that, does it?

My gut says the entry level model will be $1099 Core Duo with integrated graphics. You will see the price drop back to $999/$1299 when the MacBook Pro is revised with Core 2 Duo. At that time, you may also see dedicated graphics because the MacBook Pro will have faster chip to differentiate the lines.

That's reasonable. I'm not going to fight you over $100, but I still think they'll do it for $999.
post #23 of 211
Quote:
Originally posted by backtomac

Ugh. Dell again? Wouldn't you say that Sony is the maker that tries most to be like Apple and configures its machines most similarly? So, looking at Sony, the VAIO SZ140 is: 1.83GHz Core Duo, 13.3" screen at 1280x800, 4 lbs, both (!?!) integrated GMA950 graphics and Nvidia Go 7400 (128MB), DVD-ROM (not Write), 802.11a/b/g, bluetooth, only Ethernet100, 512MB RAM, 80GB Hard drive for: ~$1,600. The best price is $1,550:

Froogle Search

I hope Apple comes out with a nicely equipped, cheap MacBook, but I think realistically, the price will be around $1500 for the dual core. I hope I'm wrong, but I think people are hoping for too much at too little a cost.
post #24 of 211
Quote:
Originally posted by atomicham
Ugh. Dell again? Wouldn't you say that Sony is the maker that tries most to be like Apple and configures its machines most similarly? So, looking at Sony, the VAIO SZ140 is: 1.83GHz Core Duo, 13.3" screen at 1280x800, 4 lbs, both (!?!) integrated GMA950 graphics and Nvidia Go 7400 (128MB), DVD-ROM (not Write), 802.11a/b/g, bluetooth, only Ethernet100, 512MB RAM, 80GB Hard drive for: ~$1,600. The best price is $1,550:

Froogle Search

I hope Apple comes out with a nicely equipped, cheap MacBook, but I think realistically, the price will be around $1500 for the dual core. I hope I'm wrong, but I think people are hoping for too much at too little a cost.

Sony sells just how many machines?
post #25 of 211
Quote:
Originally posted by melgross
It was entirely Apple's fault. When a spokesperson releases a press release to the media about a new product, the media doesn't get all excited about it in advance, because they expect something major from the company. When Apple holds a press event, it is telling them that there is something major here, so we want you to attend. The press then has to get an airline ticket from wherever they are, possibly reserve a hotel room, etc, to attend an event which turns out to have been better suited to a simple press release.

I don't blame them for being upset. This damages Apple's credibility. It's the boy who called wolf. We all know about that story.

If Apple is calling an event here for the new store, it had better be something big. While the store is important, it certainly doesn't rank a press event. I'm not even sure that I'll go.

If they use it to intro other major products, that's different. A series of MacBooks as well would count, possibly. If a new iPod was there as well, then it certainly would.

But, not for a store opening, even here, not any more.

Well keep in mind that Appleinsider labels this as a "briefing" with "limited" attendance. This is not a "big event." It is perfectly reasonable to hold a limited-attendance press briefing about just a FLAGSHIP store in midtown Manhattan with the glorious glass cube. It's a newsworthy event, so they want the NY Times to write something up nice to show up Friday, so the public can read it and check it out after work

At least, that's how I see it from Appleinsider's description.
post #26 of 211
Quote:
Originally posted by Booga
Actually, I'd vastly prefer a Mac laptop with integrated Intel graphics and 2 buttons (actually, 1 MightyMouse-like button pad) than a laptop with dedicated graphics and 1 button. But really, as long as I'm asking, I'd like both.

Apple has started adding two button functionality already with the 17's. Looks like it's handled with software so hopefully it will get added to the 15's and will also be in the MB's.

Double click works either by tapping with two fingers or holding two fingers on the pad and pressing the button.

Quote:
I don't think Apple was burned. It was the press that was burned.

Apple has to limit their announcements to actual events, not to minor announcements. They should do what most other companies do: release products when they are ready. Not hold them back for events. Apple's stock is on a roller coaster now because of that.

They also lose sales days because they are holding back a product that would sell if they just put it out, and sent out a press release.

If the MacBooks are ready now, then they should be released. I daresay that Apple won't sell even one more, if they wait for some event to announce them, and they lose those sales for the quarter.

Well, the press got burned, and they weren't happy about it so they went negative and burned apple in their stories.

I agree that apple shouldn't have events unless they have something major to announce. And apple's stock isn't on a roller coaster at all, it took a dip in January and went up a bit when boot camp was announced. Other than that it's been very stable.

A product release requires coordination, they have to have all the background support ready for it when they ship, not to mention that delaying the announcment means greater supply at launch time and shorter waits for consumers. Losing sales days doesn't really cost them anything on a product that will be backlogged for a while.

Quote:

Not from what I've heard. I've heard that shutting off a processor actually hurts battery life.

If they do release a solo model, the only way they can justify it is by *dropping* prices. They have no excuse for not being able to ship a duo laptop for $1099 (and should be able to do it without raising prices).

It also needs to be mentioned that these machines run like crap with 512. Apple really should ship ALL intel macs with a gig minimum.
post #27 of 211
Quote:
Well keep in mind that Appleinsider labels this as a "briefing" with "limited" attendance. This is not a "big event." It is perfectly reasonable to hold a limited-attendance press briefing about just a FLAGSHIP store in midtown Manhattan with the glorious glass cube. It's a newsworthy event, so they want the NY Times to write something up nice to show up Friday, so the public can read it and check it out after work

At least, that's how I see it from Appleinsider's description.

All they have to do is to announce the opening day and time. This is NYC. If the Times and WSJ, as well as the several other newspapers, and major news channels want to show up, they will. There would be no way that Apple would dream of preventing them from doing so. When an invite is sent out, it means that they have someting special on hand. The press is getting wary of those special invites, because nothing newsworthy has come out of them the last couple of times.

This is a new flagship store. Big deal!
post #28 of 211
Quote:

If there's no MB release, all the NYT is going to write about is how apple failed to release the MB. Any "event" without a MB release is going to get panned by the press.
post #29 of 211
Quote:
Originally posted by minderbinder
A product release requires coordination, they have to have all the background support ready for it when they ship, not to mention that delaying the announcment means greater supply at launch time and shorter waits for consumers. Losing sales days doesn't really cost them anything on a product that will be backlogged for a while.

The coordination is supposed to take place when they first know that the product will ship on time, a couple of months before. Having a big event does nothing to solve any of those problems. If anything, it just makes it worse. People who would have bought the product will do so anyway. By releasing the product when ready, and remember, I'm talking about when ready, not your assumption, then that would be best.

Apple's lack of product has nothing to do with production. At least, it doesn't most of the time. Apple has been accused, over the years, of being too timid with their forecasting, and deliberately producing less than they should have, from the fear that sales won't be as good as they should be. then there are shortages.

losing sales days is very important from a financial point of view, and all companies try to get products out as early in a quarter as they can, to take advantage of the sales boost. Apple is no different. Every time a product comes out late, or is under supplied, Apple takes a hit. that's what happened this past quarter, and what is going to happen this quarter as well.

Companies prefer to have a more evenly balanced sheet throught the year.
post #30 of 211
Quote:
If there's no MB release, all the NYT is going to write about is how apple failed to release the MB. Any "event" without a MB release is going to get panned by the press.

That's exactly right.

The idea that bad press is better than no press was made up by someone who only received bad press.
post #31 of 211
Quote:

Yes, my thoughts exactly. Apple rode the press superbly last year and with MWSF06, but the Mini+HiFi announcement really lost some momentum. Time to fix that in a big way, in the house that Jobs built.
post #32 of 211
Quote:
Apple has started adding two button functionality already with the 17's. Looks like it's handled with software so hopefully it will get added to the 15's and will also be in the MB's.

Double click works either by tapping with two fingers or holding two fingers on the pad and pressing the button.

When the Mighty Mouse came out I bought one straight away. I had an original series MS Intellimouse Explorer which was on its last legs, dropping out every once in a while and I'd never considered an Apple one button mouse for myself even though I do actually agree with the program design methodology behind it. I'm one of the minority who're perfectly happy with the Mighty Mouse, and I assumed that the same mechanism would be used in the new laptops to give them "1.5 buttons" too.

As far as I've heard this hasn't happened. Instead there's that two finger drag stuff which sounds good, but came out on the PPC a year or so ago. Nice, but no dice. Two buttons hidden with one button style is definitely the way to go.
post #33 of 211
Quote:
The coordination is supposed to take place when they first know that the product will ship on time, a couple of months before. Having a big event does nothing to solve any of those problems. If anything, it just makes it worse. People who would have bought the product will do so anyway. By releasing the product when ready, and remember, I'm talking about when ready, not your assumption, then that would be best.

Apple's lack of product has nothing to do with production. At least, it doesn't most of the time. Apple has been accused, over the years, of being too timid with their forecasting, and deliberately producing less than they should have, from the fear that sales won't be as good as they should be. then there are shortages.

losing sales days is very important from a financial point of view, and all companies try to get products out as early in a quarter as they can, to take advantage of the sales boost. Apple is no different. Every time a product comes out late, or is under supplied, Apple takes a hit. that's what happened this past quarter, and what is going to happen this quarter as well.

Companies prefer to have a more evenly balanced sheet throught the year.

I'm not sure why you're not assuming apple isn't releasing the MPB when it's ready, and seem to think they're holding it for an event.

Having a release event isn't difficult for apple to do, and I'm sure they plan the event around the readiness of the machine, not the other way around. And in most cases, the machine hasn't shipped at the time of the announcement anyway (wouldn't that be a limitation of production and not forcasting?).

When the announcement precedes the machine actually shipping, there are no lost sales days. And when the machine does ship the day of the announcement, but in small enough quantity that it's generally sold out immediately and many customers have to wait for it, if the release is held a few days for the announcement, that's not really going to make a difference financially either.

So why do you think Apple is holding back releases of products that are ready to ship? And how long do you imagine these delays are? Days? Weeks?
post #34 of 211
Quote:

Say it, brother! I wish all the gaming geeks whining about integrated graphics would go buy a PC and quit filling Mac boards with their incessant noise.
post #35 of 211
Quote:

It doesn't sound right for opening a freaking 20k sqft showroom / retail store, you can pack a lot of people in there, so why make it a tiny reception?

BTW: I think there are people that do want a smaller screen with a good graphics chip. Some rumors suggest that there will not be a 13" MBP, which is part of why there is lament about integrated graphics on the MacBook if there is a chance of no MBP counterpart.
post #36 of 211
Quote:
Originally posted by fuyutsuki As far as I've heard this hasn't happened. Instead there's that two finger drag stuff which sounds good, but came out on the PPC a year or so ago. Nice, but no dice. Two buttons hidden with one button style is definitely the way to go. [/B]

What do you mean? This IS in the new MPB 17. Apple hasn't announced it or listed it on their site, but it has been confirmed by a number of 17 owners.
post #37 of 211
Quote:
Originally posted by atomicham

Froogle Search

I wouldn't say Apple should be compared to Sony. They(Sony) aren't really an industry leader IMO. Comparisons to pc vendors is inevitable now that the hardware is the same or at least converging. Dell is an industry bell weather that's why I used them for comparison. You could use HP, or lenovo, much bigger players than Sony.

I don't think Apple will or even needs to match Dell(hp, Lenovo) feature for feature on price but they should be close. Obviously we can argue on what is close but $1500 for a core duo macbook aint close. I can see a $1099 price point that thataboy suggested. I reiterate, however, that Apple can and should release a core duo macbook for $999.
post #38 of 211
Quote:
I'm not sure why you're not assuming apple isn't releasing the MPB when it's ready, and seem to think they're holding it for an event.

Having a release event isn't difficult for apple to do, and I'm sure they plan the event around the readiness of the machine, not the other way around. And in most cases, the machine hasn't shipped at the time of the announcement anyway (wouldn't that be a limitation of production and not forcasting?).

When the announcement precedes the machine actually shipping, there are no lost sales days. And when the machine does ship the day of the announcement, but in small enough quantity that it's generally sold out immediately and many customers have to wait for it, if the release is held a few days for the announcement, that's not really going to make a difference financially either.

So why do you think Apple is holding back releases of products that are ready to ship? And how long do you imagine these delays are? Days? Weeks?

Because, this is what Apple does. Do you think that their products are somehow magically ready the day of an event, and not before?

Forecasting is what all companies do to judge just how many machines they will need to produce in a given time. Apple has been constantly low on those projections. As I say, this has been a criticism of Apple going way back.

When I bought my 950, in 1992, I think it was, I had to wait over a month for it, because Apple didn't make enough. It's been stated many times that Apple either lost marketshare, or failed to gain marketshare, because they underestimated the sales numbers of their products. People, and companies, couldn't wait, and bought a PC instead.
post #39 of 211
If Jobs isn't there, no products will be announced? Probably a 50/50 chance.
post #40 of 211
Quote:
Originally posted by fuyutsuki
Yes, my thoughts exactly. Apple rode the press superbly last year and with MWSF06, but the Mini+HiFi announcement really lost some momentum. Time to fix that in a big way, in the house that Jobs built.

The house that Jobs built will be opening the very next day!

We will see something huge! This is NYC!

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › News Flash: Apple to hold press event next Thursday