or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › News Flash: Apple to hold press event next Thursday

News Flash: Apple to hold press event next Thursday - Page 2

post #41 of 211
Quote:
Originally posted by melgross
[B]Because, this is what Apple does. Do you think that their products are somehow magically ready the day of an event, and not before?

"This is what apple does"? What kind of circular statement is that? It's true because it's true? When in the past has apple delayed a release of a product to coincide with an event? I could see if you were talking about one of the big annual apple shows, but that's not what this is.

To answer your question, no. I think they know approximately when the machine will be ready ahead of time, and schedule the event once they know that date. After all, much of the time they only announce the event about a week ahead of time, right? And in many cases, apple has an event to announce the new machine, and then the machines "magically" ship a few weeks later!
post #42 of 211
Quote:
Originally posted by minderbinder
What do you mean? This IS in the new MPB 17. Apple hasn't announced it or listed it on their site, but it has been confirmed by a number of 17 owners.

Cool. I hope that's right. It's such an obvious feature since the Mighty Mouse that I was surprised the 15 incher shipped without it.
post #43 of 211
Quote:
Originally posted by Thataboy
Well keep in mind that Appleinsider labels this as a "briefing" with "limited" attendance. This is not a "big event." It is perfectly reasonable to hold a limited-attendance press briefing about just a FLAGSHIP store in midtown Manhattan with the glorious glass cube. It's a newsworthy event, so they want the NY Times to write something up nice to show up Friday, so the public can read it and check it out after work

The Intel Mac mini/iPod HiFi event also had limited attendance and was held in a small auditorium on the Apple campus. Quite different from events of the past. They are going to have something new on display at the Flagship store. They want long lines the following day. A bunch of people scattered outside the entrance staring at the cube may feed Jobs' ego but not Apple's bottom line. They want to have enough stock to meet demand and they want something to get people into the store. The MacBook went into production two weeks ago so the timing is perfect.

Where were you when the hammer flew?  

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5s • iPad mini Retina • Chromebook Pixel • Nexus 7

Where were you when the hammer flew?  

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5s • iPad mini Retina • Chromebook Pixel • Nexus 7

post #44 of 211
Quote:
Originally posted by 1984
They are going to have something new on display at the Flagship store. They want long lines the following day.

Giving away free iPod shuffles to the first 500 people will accomplish the same thing.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #45 of 211
MacBooks on the Tuesday before makes sense because it gives Apple time to ship it to it's stores for availability by Friday, or in the case of the new Mega-store, Thursday night
post #46 of 211
Don't worry,

I am sure that the giant glass cube is merely a cover for the RDF 2.0!!

When The Steve stand directly under it his native RDF will be amplified to gigantic proportions this will have the added side effect of projecting a gigantic apple logo on the sky!!!!!

I can already feel initial RDF getting stronger.

post #47 of 211
Quote:
Originally posted by icfireball
MacBooks on the Tuesday before makes sense because it gives Apple time to ship it to it's stores for availability by Friday, or in the case of the new Mega-store, Thursday night

The mega store opens friday night. And apple doesn't need *any* time between the announcement and availability in stores, they've shipped new product to stores in advance of the announcement in the past. For all we know, they're en route to apple stores already.
post #48 of 211
One thing is for certain though, if there is a Tuesday launch of the MacBook, more than likely the Apple Stores will all have a plentiful supply. Based off from the demand on these boards, I don't think there is going to be many left when it does get launched.

-- Mike Eggleston
-- Mac Fanatic since 1984.
-- Proud Member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals
-- Wii #: 8913 3004 4519 2027

-- Mike Eggleston
-- Mac Fanatic since 1984.
-- Proud Member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals
-- Wii #: 8913 3004 4519 2027

post #49 of 211
Quote:
Originally posted by TednDi
Don't worry,

I am sure that the giant glass cube is merely a cover for the RDF 2.0!!

When The Steve stand directly under it his native RDF will be amplified to gigantic proportions this will have the added side effect of projecting a gigantic apple logo on the sky!!!!!

I can already feel initial RDF getting stronger.

It's affecting the weather. Isn't it supposed to be cool and rainy this weekend in the big APPLE, in preparation for the arrival of the steve in his black turtleneck.
post #50 of 211
Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook
post #51 of 211
Believe it or not I dreamt last night I was in a group of people being given a special presentation by Steve Jobs. Yeah, kind of weird in a scary kind of way. Oh, and did I mention Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook?
post #52 of 211
Originally posted by MonaLisa
Say it, brother! I wish all the gaming geeks whining about integrated graphics would go buy a PC and quit filling Mac boards with their incessant noise.

Heh. I have been guilty many times on this count. I do have a PC where I can play games (nVidia 6600GT 128mb DDR3 vram 500mhz OC'ed to 567mhz, DirectX 9.0c support YEAHHHHHHH) A Macbook with integrated graphics would still suck ass though.
post #53 of 211
Quote:
Originally posted by sunilraman
Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook?

Now this getting a little creepy.
post #54 of 211
tower tower tower tower, etc....
I heard that geeks are a dime a dozen, I just want to find out who's been passin' out the dimes
----- Fred Blassie 1964
I heard that geeks are a dime a dozen, I just want to find out who's been passin' out the dimes
----- Fred Blassie 1964
post #55 of 211
Quote:
Originally posted by JeffDM

Yeah, look at where it's coming from.
post #56 of 211
I can't help relate sunilraman's post to an addictive net fad...

Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook
Mushroom. Mushroom.
Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook
Mushroom, mushroom!
Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook
Mushroom! Mushroom!
Mushroom mushroom!
Ahh! Snake, a snake! Snaaaake! Snaaaaaaake! Ohhhh, it's a snaaaake!
post #57 of 211
Quote:
Originally posted by inferno10
I can't help relate sunilraman's post to an addictive net fad...

Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook
Mushroom. Mushroom.
Mushroom, mushroom!
Mushroom! Mushroom!
Mushroom mushroom!
Ahh! Snake, a snake! Snaaaake! Snaaaaaaake! Ohhhh, it's a snaaaake!

And just how long did you wait to make this your first post?
post #58 of 211
Originally posted by JeffDM

post #59 of 211
Originally posted by minderbinder
...They've shipped new product to stores in advance of the announcement in the past. For all we know, they're en route to apple stores already...

OMFG OMFG The MacBook is already in the NYC Apple Store and Apple Stores across the US!! **goes into ecstatic convulsions**

edit:
Boy I really need to get a handle on my recent[?] MacBook fetish.
post #60 of 211
18th of MAY!!!

thats my Birthday!!

wheres my fruggin INVITE!

Rod
post #61 of 211
Originally posted by Trendannoyer
18th of MAY!!!
thats my Birthday!!
Rod

Happy Birthday mate (in advance) !!!! w000t!!!
post #62 of 211
Originally posted by Bigc

PFFFT. Your lack of saying "tower" at least 20 times shows your passion for a new MacPro Tower doesn't run that deep....!!
post #63 of 211
Quote:
Originally posted by Trendannoyer
18th of MAY!!!
thats my Birthday!!
Rod

Happy Birthday mate (in advance) !!!! w000t!!!

cheers for the beers

cheap mac tower cheap mac tower cheap mac tower cheap mac tower cheap mac tower cheap mac tower cheap mac tower cheap mac tower cheap mac tower cheap mac tower cheap mac tower cheap mac tower cheap mac tower cheap mac tower cheap mac tower cheap mac tower cheap mac tower cheap mac tower cheap mac tower cheap mac tower

well i can dream
post #64 of 211
Originally posted by TednDi
Don't worry, I am sure that the giant glass cube is merely a cover for the RDF 2.0!! When The Steve stand directly under it his native RDF will be amplified to gigantic proportions this will have the added side effect of projecting a gigantic apple logo on the sky!!!!! I can already feel initial RDF getting stronger.

The GRAND MASTER of THE PRIORY OF THE CUBE will REVEAL ALL

post #65 of 211
How about bringing back The Cube in honour of The NYC Cube? The fan-free little wonder was fantastic for recording music.

Could be the MiniMaxMac
post #66 of 211
Quote:
Originally posted by netdog
How about bringing back The Cube in honour of The NYC Cube? The fan-free little wonder was fantastic for recording music.

Could be the MiniMaxMac

"Mix a thousand songs in your pocket"*

*Pocket must be at least 6.5x6.5x6.5 inches in size and have built in mains.
post #67 of 211
Quote:
Originally posted by backtomac
It's affecting the weather. Isn't it supposed to be cool and rainy this weekend in the big APPLE, in preparation for the arrival of the steve in his black turtleneck.

The weather will clear when STEVE arrives!!

post #68 of 211
No no no no no no no!

They can't announce the MacBook on Thursday. I'm leaving for Arkansas.

Mr. Jobs must make it available on Tuesday. I don't care what they announce on Thursday.

Apple store/Schmapple store. Most of us don't live in Manhattan, so who cares? And isn't the glass cube just a cheap knockoff of the Louvre?
post #69 of 211
cheap? i guess so if you've got 9 million laying around
post #70 of 211
Quote:
Originally posted by Bigc

PFFFT. Your lack of saying "tower" at least 20 times shows your passion for a new MacPro Tower doesn't run that deep....!!

indeed
----- Fred Blassie 1964
----- Fred Blassie 1964
post #71 of 211
Quote:
Originally posted by icibaqu
cheap? i guess so if you've got 9 million laying around

i have.

oh, no those are blades of grass.

Rod
post #72 of 211
Are we expecting the AwesomePod this Tuesday, too?
post #73 of 211
Quote:
Originally posted by fuyutsuki
"Mix a thousand songs in your pocket"*

*Pocket must be at least 6.5x6.5x6.5 inches in size and have built in mains.

The MacMargueritaMixer...

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #74 of 211
Quote:
Originally posted by chocolatedude
Are we expecting the AwesomePod this Tuesday, too?

Don't expect anything, and you'll be pleasantly surprised if something does show up.
post #75 of 211
Quote:
Don't expect anything, and you'll be pleasantly surprised if something does show up.

Too late...
iMac G5 (20"); iPod 5.5G 30GB; MacBook (Black) Core Duo
iMac G5 (20"); iPod 5.5G 30GB; MacBook (Black) Core Duo
post #76 of 211
Quote:
Originally posted by Booga
Actually, I'd vastly prefer a Mac laptop with integrated Intel graphics and 2 buttons (actually, 1 MightyMouse-like button pad) than a laptop with dedicated graphics and 1 button. But really, as long as I'm asking, I'd like both.

And a G5 PowerBook with integrated iPhone dock and FireWire 1600 ports.

I finger press on the touch pad gets you left click, 2 finger press on the touchpad gets you right click. That to me is better than 2 buttons, it's quite so I don't have to hear any click and the book stays smooth.

That should probably be good enough for you too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
post #77 of 211
Quote:
Originally posted by ecking
I finger press on the touch pad gets you left click, 2 finger press on the touchpad gets you right click. That to me is better than 2 buttons, it's quite so I don't have to hear any click and the book stays smooth.

That should probably be good enough for you too.

I just tried it, it does work, but it is about a second or two slower than a real second button, and takes three taps to finish the job of opening the contextual menu and selecting an item, vs. one click. If you have to do it hundreds of times a day, then it adds up. A tap on the touch pad for me doesn't sound a whole lot quieter than on the button. Maybe that's academic for me, I only use the finger wagger only when I have to, like when I don't have a regular mouse handy.
post #78 of 211
Quote:
Having a big event does nothing to solve any of those problems. If anything, it just makes it worse. People who would have bought the product will do so anyway. By releasing the product when ready, and remember, I'm talking about when ready, not your assumption, then that would be best.

Having a big event helps the product launch by building anticipation. There's likely also a mild advantage to having some predictability when things launch (near big events) where folks kinda know when is a good vs bad time to buy something (ie right before a big event = bad).

Besides, some of these launch "events" simply means waiting for the closest Tuesday.

Quote:
Apple's lack of product has nothing to do with production. At least, it doesn't most of the time. Apple has been accused, over the years, of being too timid with their forecasting, and deliberately producing less than they should have, from the fear that sales won't be as good as they should be. then there are shortages.

While shortages are bad because it leads to some lost sales it does promote the image that the product is in demand. Far better than the alternative which is to make far more than likely, see a huge glut in the channel and have everyone say the launch failed even if sales weren't numerically bad.

Then you get to write off inventory which I'm sure financial folks really love.

Vinea
post #79 of 211
I haven't seen this around anywhere on these boards, but don't skewer me if I'm overlapping someone's post:

Do we know who's manufacturing the MacBooks? Because ASUS just released a 13.3" computer with webcam and Core Duo processors, and IIRC, aren't they Asustek (which manufactures some Apple products) as well? Specs are impressive w/ non-IG, but priced at $1900, which we know won't be anywhere near the price of the new MBs. That said, is ASUS' design similar to Apple's?

Oh, and did I mention they come in two colors?

Edit: linkage
"In Xanadu did Kubla Kahn a stately pleasure-dome decree."
"In Xanadu did Kubla Kahn a stately pleasure-dome decree."
post #80 of 211
Quote:
Originally posted by vinea
[B]Having a big event helps the product launch by building anticipation. There's likely also a mild advantage to having some predictability when things launch (near big events) where folks kinda know when is a good vs bad time to buy something (ie right before a big event = bad).

Besides, some of these launch "events" simply means waiting for the closest Tuesday.

If Apple's sales depend upon events to build anticipation, then Apple is in big trouble. Apple's products should speak for themselves. no event is going to sell a bland, or poorly conceived product like the Cube.

Quote:
While shortages are bad because it leads to some lost sales it does promote the image that the product is in demand. Far better than the alternative which is to make far more than likely, see a huge glut in the channel and have everyone say the launch failed even if sales weren't numerically bad.

I see a few people say that. But, it's never been shown to be true. If fact, MS's mis-prediction, and component shortages have been universally criticised. It hasn't helped anything. what it has done, is the same thing that happens to Apple every time they do it. Those wanting to buy the product are angered. Some decide not to buy it at all.

Quote:
Then you get to write off inventory which I'm sure financial folks really love.

Vinea

Cute!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › News Flash: Apple to hold press event next Thursday