or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › News Flash: Apple to hold press event next Thursday
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

News Flash: Apple to hold press event next Thursday - Page 3

post #81 of 211
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Dirk
Do we know who's manufacturing the MacBooks? Because ASUS just released a 13.3" computer with webcam and Core Duo processors, and IIRC, aren't they Asustek (which manufactures some Apple products) as well? Specs are impressive w/ non-IG, but priced at $1900, which we know won't be anywhere near the price of the new MBs. That said, is ASUS' design similar to Apple's?

Asus are producing the MacBooks for Apple.
post #82 of 211
I could give a crap about a MacBook, unless it doubled as a tablet, I was more interested in Mossbergs (and Steve Jobs') mentioning of this home media thing. My wet dream here is a Mac(Book)-tablet, and a home media device at this press event. Maybe a new iPod. I'm in the market for a new one anyway.
I have no idea about this phone, but the press event could just be for the store. That actually wouldn't surprise me at all.
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
post #83 of 211
Quote:
Originally posted by blackbird_1.0
Asus are producing the MacBooks for Apple.


Asus has a premium on their notebooks even higher than Apples.
I crave the following:
12" powerbook w/ a dual-core merom processor
256 mb graphics card
brightest display possible
backlit keyboard
Reply
I crave the following:
12" powerbook w/ a dual-core merom processor
256 mb graphics card
brightest display possible
backlit keyboard
Reply
post #84 of 211
Quote:
Originally posted by melgross
If Apple's sales depend upon events to build anticipation, then Apple is in big trouble. Apple's products should speak for themselves. no event is going to sell a bland, or poorly conceived product like the Cube.

Or the mini?

Who said Apple depended on an event to build anticipation? Just that a large event can help a product launch make a splash. That Apple seems to time product launches around key Mac events builds anticipation for new product just like major conferences/events in every industry (like say CES and CEDIA for home entertainment product launches).

Quote:
I see a few people say that. But, it's never been shown to be true. If fact, MS's mis-prediction, and component shortages have been universally criticised. It hasn't helped anything. what it has done, is the same thing that happens to Apple every time they do it. Those wanting to buy the product are angered. Some decide not to buy it at all.

No matter what you do folks will criticize you.

For example you are criticizing Apple for both holding off product launches (to "wait" for an event) and launching too quickly (before there is sufficient inventory in the channel) in the same post.

I hardly think many folks are going to decide that they will buy a PC because the Mac they want is in so much demand that the lead times are too high.

Quote:
Cute!

But true. Some number of InFocus (INFS) projectors were rumored to have ended up in a landfill because they overestimated demand and they didn't want to cannibalize sales of their new projector lines by putting the older model into the B stock channel.

In any case they did have to write down $15M worth of inventory in '03 and a similar amount in '02.

Then of course, there's the classic Atari story where they buried 14 truckloads of cartridges (after running over them with a bull dozer) in the desert.

That's not to say that you don't want sufficient inventory to capitalize on a hot launch but it seems to be the lesser of two potential mistakes.

Vinea
post #85 of 211
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Dirk
I haven't seen this around anywhere on these boards, but don't skewer me if I'm overlapping someone's post:

Do we know who's manufacturing the MacBooks? Because ASUS just released a 13.3" computer with webcam and Core Duo processors, and IIRC, aren't they Asustek (which manufactures some Apple products) as well? Specs are impressive w/ non-IG, but priced at $1900, which we know won't be anywhere near the price of the new MBs. That said, is ASUS' design similar to Apple's?



Oh, and did I mention they come in two colors?

Edit: linkage


Haha it's funny the people at Engadget in the comments are all talking about the same thing -- what this means for the Apple MacBook/iBook. Yes this is the Asus/Asustek that one of the contract manufacturers for Apple.

nVidia Go 7400 with 256mb ram. Nice. No way it will be in the MacBook though, looking at the rest of the specs at that price.
post #86 of 211
Quote:
Originally posted by vinea
[B]Or the mini?

Who said Apple depended on an event to build anticipation? Just that a large event can help a product launch make a splash. That Apple seems to time product launches around key Mac events builds anticipation for new product just like major conferences/events in every industry (like say CES and CEDIA for home entertainment product launches).

If Apple is going to wait for, or arrange,events to release their products, then they become dependant upon them to do do, because their potential customers are forced to wait as well.

I'm not saying that they should never release a product at an industry event. I'm saying that they shouldn't arrange their own little events, like the last two, which went off poorly. That's very different. And, of course, there is the dev conf, and the Jan Macworld. New products are expected then as well.

But, let's say that Apple has a newly upgraded iPod model. Shouldn't they release it as soon as it is ready? Yes!

And, do they really need a special press event to unveil it? No!

Apple used to have four computer upgrade schedules during the year, when cpu's were still being speeded up on a regular basic, in the '90's, and through 2000.

Nerw machines were intro'd during Jan Macworld, the biggest one.

Then in Aprili, aroundbouts, there would be a speed bump, with other upgrades as well, such as memory, HD's, graphics card, etc.

Then in the July Macworld, other new machines would be intro'd, with the first machins getting another speed bump.

In Sept, all machines would get another speed bump.

In Jan. the cycle would start over again.

But the April and Sept speed bumps would never get more than a press release. That's as it should be.

New monitors, scanners, printers, would usually be released during the year, with, again, press releases. The magazines would be given pre-production models of ALL of Apple's new devices to test, and to prepare stories on for the release date. Ofter, they were allowed to write stories on those same un-released products before they came out.

Apple used to come to my Mac User Group, here in NYC, several times a year to show us new products before they were released.

Things were much more restricted when Jobs was running Apple back when, and after he came back.

There's no evidence that these restrictions and press events have helped sales at all. In fact, After Jobs came back, sales plummeted. It's really only recently that things have gotten so much better, and it's the products that are responsible for that, not these press events. He did the same thing before sales went up.


Quote:
No matter what you do folks will criticize you.

For example you are criticizing Apple for both holding off product launches (to "wait" for an event) and launching too quickly (before there is sufficient inventory in the channel) in the same post.

You may want to think I'm saying both things, but I'm clearly not. What I've been saying, is that Apple should release them when ready, not before, and not after. That was pretty clear.

[QUOTE[
I hardly think many folks are going to decide that they will buy a PC because the Mac they want is in so much demand that the lead times are too high.[/QUOTE]

You're wrong about that too. People, and companies, especially companies, have failed to Buy Apple's products because they are are on a schedule, and Apple is well behind on delivery. Apple has even acknowledged that in the past. This was a major problem for them for a long time.

Mostly, people who buy machines are not "fans", who will put up with a lot. They walk into a store, and if what they want isn't there, they will buy something else. Once Apple loses a potential customer, it's difficult to get them back.

Quote:
But true. Some number of InFocus (INFS) projectors were rumored to have ended up in a landfill because they overestimated demand and they didn't want to cannibalize sales of their new projector lines by putting the older model into the B stock channel.

In any case they did have to write down $15M worth of inventory in '03 and a similar amount in '02.

Then of course, there's the classic Atari story where they buried 14 truckloads of cartridges (after running over them with a bull dozer) in the desert.

That's not to say that you don't want sufficient inventory to capitalize on a hot launch but it seems to be the lesser of two potential mistakes.

Apple dumped a million computers into the ocean in 1996, after Spindler screwed up during the holiday buying season in 1995, and came out with older 68040 machines, when people wanted the new PPC models. That is what started Apple's major slide.

But, you can't point to a few screw-ups. They're meaningless. If more are produced, in the beginning, they will be sold through next month, while production is cut back a bit to accommodate it. If the product is a good one, it will sell well. If not, then production levels aren't at fault, the conception of the product is.
post #87 of 211
I'm feeling confused about the press event on Thursday. IMO what would be best for Apple this Thursday and best for the press is:

1. preview new Apple store
2. new iPod product announcement
3. new MacBook
4. possibly some other new thing
5. some "strategic innovation fun iLife etc" soundbite from Steve

Sorted. That's just my view of this Thursday, I'm not making any statements of how Apple should handle things outside of this Thursday in this post. To me, it would seem completely bizarre to get the press together just to show off "here is the cool new cube store. go nuts".
post #88 of 211
Quote:
Originally posted by sunilraman
I'm feeling confused about the press event on Thursday. IMO what would be best for Apple this Thursday and best for the press is:

1. preview new Apple store
2. new iPod product announcement
3. new MacBook
4. possibly some other new thing
5. some "strategic innovation fun iLife etc" soundbite from Steve

Sorted. That's just my view of this Thursday, I'm not making any statements of how Apple should handle things outside of this Thursday in this post. To me, it would seem completely bizarre to get the press together just to show off "here is the cool new cube store. go nuts".

Yes, I agree. If they DO have a press event, then it should have something to hold the presses interest, or the next time, they might not show. That's one of the problems with these press events lately.
post #89 of 211
Hey Mel and other NYC folks... What does the cube look like at the moment? Is it completely covered in black or what? Send us some pics if you happen to pass by 5th Ave, you know, if you're in that part of the city blowing cash on expensive fashion and/or whatever 5th ave is famous for ... Also Apple's dedicated "opening" page in case people haven't seen it, complete with countdown to opening: http://www.apple.com/retail/fifthave.../20060521.html
post #90 of 211
Quote:
Originally posted by sunilraman
Hey Mel and other NYC folks... What does the cube look like at the moment? Is it completely covered in black or what? Send us some pics if you happen to pass by 5th Ave, you know, if you're in that part of the city blowing cash on expensive fashion and/or whatever 5th ave is famous for ... Also Apple's dedicated "opening" page in case people haven't seen it, complete with countdown to opening: http://www.apple.com/retail/fifthave.../20060521.html

At times, you could see the glass. but most of the time you can't. The opening is so close now, that I'm not sure it pays.

It doesn't matter even if I take a pic, because I can't upload pics here, for some reason. My page says I can't post attachments. Lundy said he tried my account, and he did temporarally post one from it, but I don't have the "browse" button, and I haven't been able to find another way to do it. If you can figure it out, I'll try.

I was going to take my daughter to the opening friday, because her high school is right behind Lincoln Center, not that far away. But, when I read that people are camping out...

There's always another day.
post #91 of 211
I passed 70-290 with 1000/1000 today, and I can refer a good site, pass4sure.com

I am a fresh man for the certification, and my company need employee get MCSE2003 cert in 3 month, I start with some MOC books and frustrated with huge contents. and I failed at the first try for 70-290, but I met a friend who taking 70-290 also, he passed easily, and I know from him a good site named pass4sure.com, I used 70-290 from Pass4sure, every questions WORD 4 WORD was on the test. Unlike testking where you have to read huge number of questions (which more than half will never be on the test) these were easy to read b/c only about 200 even fewer questions. They also don't change any wording or layout like testking.
post #92 of 211
Spam alert
post #93 of 211
Originally posted by melgross
...I haven't been able to find another way to do it. If you can figure it out, I'll try...



You mean all along you haven't been able to post pics? Use www.photobucket.com Not the prettiest site, but very functional and not annoying. Upload your pics to it. Then, in the My Album, you can just cut and paste the [img] tagline into the appleinsider forum.

So images are just served out of the photobucket servers using [img] tags in here forums. Easy peasy
post #94 of 211
Originally posted by melgross
But, when I read that people are camping out...


Heh. I'd like to see pics of the massive camping out. My brother thought he'd check out the London opening but gave up as well. I bet you'd see some guys turn up fully stocked with food, water, campgear, on Wednesday evening, maybe even earlier!!
post #95 of 211
Quote:
Originally posted by sunilraman
Originally posted by melgross
...I haven't been able to find another way to do it. If you can figure it out, I'll try...



You mean all along you haven't been able to post pics? Use www.photobucket.com Not the prettiest site, but very functional and not annoying. Upload your pics to it. Then, in the My Album, you can just cut and paste the [img] tagline into the appleinsider forum.

So images are just served out of the photobucket servers using [img] tags in here forums. Easy peasy

That seems to be a roundabout way of doing what is supposed to be done within the site itself.

It's worth a try though.

Don't you have the "browse button? does your page say that you can't add attachments?

The software for the forums is troublesome.

i'll try tomorrow to send a pic that way. If it works, I'll take some of the opening, if I can make it.
post #96 of 211
Browse button? Attachments?
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #97 of 211
Nope, these are my forum rules:
(I don't see any Browse or Attachments )
Forum Rules:
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may edit your posts
post #98 of 211
Originally posted by melgross
i'll try tomorrow to send a pic that way. If it works, I'll take some of the opening, if I can make it.


Don't worry if it's too much trouble. I'm sure there'll be plenty of website coverage of the opening itself. Just curious what it looks like now. Probably just a big black cube
post #99 of 211
Quote:
Originally posted by sunilraman
Originally posted by melgross
i'll try tomorrow to send a pic that way. If it works, I'll take some of the opening, if I can make it.


Don't worry if it's too much trouble. I'm sure there'll be plenty of website coverage of the opening itself. Just curious what it looks like now. Probably just a big black cube

Actually, I think it is a transparent glass cube.
post #100 of 211
Originally posted by netdog
Actually, I think it is a transparent glass cube.


I meant it's a big black cube now 'coz it's all covered up in black cloth. Can't see the glass...
post #101 of 211
Quote:
Originally posted by sunilraman
Originally posted by netdog
Actually, I think it is a transparent glass cube.


I meant it's a big black cube now 'coz it's all covered up in black cloth. Can't see the glass...

Me dumb. So sorry.
post #102 of 211
integrated graphics is ok as long as they give you the option to have dedicated graphics.. Graphics card is not just for gamers.. 3d design software needs decent hardware acceleration. If apple do not include an option for dedicated graphics thats like saying "don't buy our product if you want to do 3d design buy a sony instead". I'm currently on a 1st gen mac mini (1gig of RAM and overclocked GPU) and trying to do 3d design on it is difficult with the lack of VRAM, integrated would probably be worse. To all those morons out there who think a one button mouse is insanely great, maybe if you did anything with your computer other than browse this forum you might realise that quite a few applications are crippled without scroll wheel and 3 buttons. Personally I like 5 buttons, but apple until recently enforced me to buy an overpriced 1 button mouse every time I buy a mac. With the macbook issue I hate trackpads anyway so for me this is a moot point, and actually I do like the sound of the 2 finger right click as long as there is no delay between clicking and the react time. Really I'm just annoyed at the obstinence of people who think that just because THEY don't need dedicated VRAM or extra mouse buttons, that noone else will want them, and this is a very annoying part of apples way of selling machines as well. I know for a fact that a lot of people would rather buy a mac without the crappy apple mouse then buy a better one from logitech or msoft for less money. It would be ok if apple charged less for their peripherals or made decent ones. Apple may have championed the use of the mouse but for the last 15 years their mice have been inferior to 3rd party ones, yet they still charge you an extra £50 on top for their keyboard and mouse. I can buy a wireless mouse from ebay for like £10, but an apple one is like £20-30 and it has one button!

Seriously, I am a hardcore mac user and I can promise you that mac os X is waay better with a 5 button mouse. (In finder I have left click, right click, and 3 different exposé clicks - so much better than reaching for the control and/or f9-f11 keys)
post #103 of 211
Why are architects so fractious?
post #104 of 211
Archstudent, you sound like you need a PowerMac G5 with a decent video card and vram. It's true that Apple does not provide "enough" sometimes but if it's not enough for you and you like the Mac you just have to bite the bullet and shell out for a better Mac so you can do what you do. Otherwise, you can do it on a PC.

I don't mean to sound mean, but just some thoughts. The Apple mouse thing, yeah, just get a Logitech or something. Sorted.
post #105 of 211
Quote:
Originally posted by sunilraman
Archstudent, you sound like you need a PowerMac G5 with a decent video card and vram. It's true that Apple does not provide "enough" sometimes but if it's not enough for you and you like the Mac you just have to bite the bullet and shell out for a better Mac so you can do what you do. Otherwise, you can do it on a PC.

I don't mean to sound mean, but just some thoughts. The Apple mouse thing, yeah, just get a Logitech or something. Sorted.

Well obviously I wld be better with a pmac, but I'm a student and a machine of that price is out of the question, plus I need something portable for when I go home in holidays. At the moment I'm thinking about a 13" macbook, but obviously it depends how it is specced and priced, and having dedicated graphics would make it a lot more attractive/feasible.
post #106 of 211
Quote:
Originally posted by Archstudent
...To all those morons out there who think a one button mouse is insanely great, maybe if you did anything with your computer other than browse this forum you might realise that quite a few applications are crippled without scroll wheel and 3 buttons...

I'm a professional Graphic Designer, aka Moron (thanks) and I have been using a 1 button mouse quite effeciently for over 10 years. My latest computer at work has a "Mighty Mouse" and I have turned the second button off becouse of its tendency to right click when I'm trying to left click. I do enjoy the scroll wheel, and use a Microsoft 2 button mouse at home that I like. Apple's 1 button mice were of very high quality by the way and a good user can work quite effeciently with the keyboard and the mouse in unison to have all the function of a 2 button mouse. In fact that keeps one hand on the keyboard for using keyboard shortcuts which are a lot more effecient than "Mousing around" the menues or even contextual menues to get work done. But then again you have to know the programs well enough to use them.
post #107 of 211
mighty mouse has been generally snubbed by most multi-button mouse users, because it isn't great to use at all compared with most other mice. And with regards to quality of mice... I don't understand how anyone can call this mouse "quality":



Anyway, graphic design doesn't require scroll wheel or extra buttons in the same way as CAD programs do. I do keep my left hand on the keyboard, but sometimes you need the extra mouse buttons as well as the keyboard. Scroll wheel is more or less indispensible for me.
post #108 of 211
Quote:
Originally posted by sunilraman
I'm feeling confused about the press event on Thursday. IMO what would be best for Apple this Thursday and best for the press is:

1. preview new Apple store
2. new iPod product announcement
3. new MacBook
4. possibly some other new thing
5. some "strategic innovation fun iLife etc" soundbite from Steve

Sorted. That's just my view of this Thursday, I'm not making any statements of how Apple should handle things outside of this Thursday in this post. To me, it would seem completely bizarre to get the press together just to show off "here is the cool new cube store. go nuts".

While I largely agree with your list, I think there are two other items that might be discussed on Thursday -

6. Strategic Partnership with The Shriner's Burn Instutute AND Levi's Jeans to develop "iLevi 451 Macbook Compatible Button Fly Jeans". These dungarees are a blend of flame retartdent cotton with Teflon/Kevlar thigh panels containing thermal pipes and heat sinks to move the excess heat of the MacBook Pro from your lap to to a heatsink and fan built into a ceramic beltbuckle (buckle is also a 4 gig iPod). 10% of each purchase will be donated to the Shriner's Burn Institute.

7. Announcement of an internal training initiative named iPaste to correctly instruct the assembly line teams to properly apply thermal paste to processors and heat pipes.
One of the fork and spoon operators from Sector 7-G
Reply
One of the fork and spoon operators from Sector 7-G
Reply
post #109 of 211
Quote:
Originally posted by Archstudent
mighty mouse has been generally snubbed by most multi-button mouse users, because it isn't great to use at all compared with most other mice. And with regards to quality of mice... I don't understand how anyone can call this mouse "quality":
Anyway, graphic design doesn't require scroll wheel or extra buttons in the same way as CAD programs do. I do keep my left hand on the keyboard, but sometimes you need the extra mouse buttons as well as the keyboard. Scroll wheel is more or less indispensible for me.

No recognition of the insult, thanks again from a Moron (for future reference that is with a CAPITAL M, show at least a minimum of respect). I notice that you had to pull up a design that is relatively old to prove your point. The mouse 1 generation after that, or t he Apple Pro Mouse was an excellent design, the one before that was good for it's day. When you are inovating then sometimes you come up with a dud, though I'm suprised that one made it past the human interface designers at Apple, it looks like something that Marketing came up with to "Minic" the look of the original iMac, but having used one they are more than useless.

As for CAD programs, they are better suported on PC's than they are on Macs, and more accepted in industry on PC's than on Macs. As a student in Archetecture you would be well advised to get a PC for your CAD work so that you are ready for that reality when you enter the job market. Also, Graphic tablets, aka. digitizers, used to be prefered for CAD work for thier precision over mice. The "Pucks" or mice that they come with also offer more functionality than even a 4 button mouse, and when you add on the programable "menue" at the top of the tablet you have even more function. CalComp used to be one of the big CAD digitizer producers (they made small ones, but also some the size of drawing tables) and their products were a lot less expensive than Wacom tablets.
post #110 of 211
Quote:
Originally posted by @homenow
No recognition of the insult, thanks again from a Moron. The mouse 1 generation after that, or t he Apple Pro Mouse was an excellent design, the one before that was good for it's day. When you are inovating then sometimes you come up with a dud, though I'm suprised that one made it past the human interface designers at Apple, it looks like something that Marketing came up with to "Minic" the look of the original iMac, but having used one they are more than useless.

As for CAD programs, they are better suported on PC's than they are on Macs, and more accepted in industry on PC's than on Macs. As a student in Archetecture you would be well advised to get a PC for your CAD work so that you are ready for that reality when you enter the job market. Also, Graphic tablets, aka. digitizers, used to be prefered for CAD work for thier precision over mice. The "Pucks" or mice that they come with also offer more functionality than even a 4 button mouse, and when you add on the programable "menue" at the top of the tablet you have even more function. CalComp used to be one of the big CAD digitizer producers and their products were a lot less expensive than Wacom tablets.

man are you really so insecure that you take a comment like the one I made as an insult? Jesus lighten up a bit mate. Anyway are you saying that, because I use CAD I should buy a PC? As far as the tablet thing goes I'm not too bothered I'd rather just use a functional mouse.
post #111 of 211
Quote:
Originally posted by BigMcLargehuge
While I largely agree with your list, I think there are two other items that might be discussed on Thursday -

6. Strategic Partnership with The Shriner's Burn Instutute AND Levi's Jeans to develop "iLevi 451 Macbook Compatible Button Fly Jeans". These dungarees are a blend of flame retartdent cotton with Teflon/Kevlar thigh panels containing thermal pipes and heat sinks to move the excess heat of the MacBook Pro from your lap to to a heatsink and fan built into a ceramic beltbuckle (buckle is also a 4 gig iPod). 10% of each purchase will be donated to the Shriner's Burn Institute.

7. Announcement of an internal training initiative named iPaste to correctly instruct the assembly line teams to properly apply thermal paste to processors and heat pipes.

ROFLMAO iPaste will also need to train teams for correct thermal paste application to the iLevi 451 MacBook Button Fly Jeans.
post #112 of 211
Quote:
Originally posted by Archstudent
man are you really so insecure that you take a comment like the one I made as an insult? Jesus lighten up a bit mate. Anyway are you saying that, because I use CAD I should buy a PC? As far as the tablet thing goes I'm not too bothered I'd rather just use a functional mouse.

Not insecure at all, and I did't really take it personal. Just trying to make a point, it is best not to make statements that could be perceived as personal attacks, especially when there is no need for it and you are stating your preference and or opinion. There are obviously a lot of smart capable professionals that will have one that is different from yours. There have been long pages on this forum written for and against the multi-button mouse, and some of the statements against them were well written and backed up my ergonomics as well as standards of good programing. In the end it all comes down to personal preference in the way you work.

I'm suggestion that you get a PC and a copy of the most industry standard software for your future profession. I think that is would be beneficial for you both in the long and short term. If I were a student in a field that was dominated by software on one platform I would have a computer and the appropriate software at home so that I was always using that and became as proficient and knowledgeable as I could on that platform and software before I entered the job market. That doesnt mean that I wouldnt own a second computer, and today I would buy an iMac Core Duo so that I could dual boot into whatever OS I needed at the time.
post #113 of 211
Maybe the press event is Steve saying:

"Look, we f**d up. We're going to think different and act different. We went nuts with the thermal paste and it's come back to burn us in the balls. We're admitting it, and we're going to fix it. We've got great processors, great heatsinks and great heatpipes and fans in the MacBook line. We're going to follow what every PC overclocker does and apply the thermal paste right, and fix your MacBooks."

"As for the whine issue, go f*** yourself...!!"

As you can see I'm going insane here waiting for the bloody announcement of the Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook MacbookMacbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook <ctrl-c>
post #114 of 211
Quote:
Originally posted by @homenow
Not insecure at all, and I did't really take it personal. Just trying to make a point, it is best not to make statements that could be perceived as personal attacks, especially when there is no need for it and you are stating your preference and or opinion. There are obviously a lot of smart capable professionals that will have one that is different from yours. There have been long pages on this forum written for and against the multi-button mouse, and some of the statements against them were well written and backed up my ergonomics as well as standards of good programing. In the end it all comes down to personal preference in the way you work.

I'm suggestion that you get a PC and a copy of the most industry standard software for your future profession. I think that is would be beneficial for you both in the long and short term. If I were a student in a field that was dominated by software on one platform I would have a computer and the appropriate software at home so that I was always using that and became as proficient and knowledgeable as I could on that platform and software before I entered the job market. That doesnt mean that I wouldnt own a second computer, and today I would buy an iMac Core Duo so that I could dual boot into whatever OS I needed at the time.

My original point was that it is irritating when people assume that noone else needs a multi button scrolling mouse or dedicated VRAM, just because they themselves do not need/like them. I also pointed out that apple are slightly guilty of this because they do not always give you enough options when buying a mac. In that respect your argument above seems to agree with mine. It is not single button mice themselves that annoys me, OR people who use them, but it is when ppl assure me that we don't need things like functional mice or dedicated VRAM and that therefore Apple shouldn't give us options because we don't need them. That was the point of my original post I'm sorry if you misinterpreted it.

As regards platforms I am personally highly flexible and I learn how to use software very quickly, therefore, I will continue to use a mac using the mac software that I'm currently finding very productive until I have a reason to do otherwise. In any case, any time I need to use windows XP, it would almost certainly involve using an intel mac, but I'm waiting for the mac software to go intel native before I do this. What I'm really setting my eyes on for future is a intel ibook or whatever they decide to call it once it comes out.
post #115 of 211
Quote:
Originally posted by Archstudent
[B What I'm really setting my eyes on for future is a intel ibook or whatever they decide to call it once it comes out. [/B]

If your notebook requirements demand dedicated graphics you better start looking at a MBP. The concensus is that the Macbook will sport intel IG with perhaps a BTO option of a video card but even that is iffy.
post #116 of 211
1)mbp is 15"
2)mbp is too expensive for students
3)you are speculating about the spec of this machine
4)in any case I will wait and see what is available if and when I get a new machine
post #117 of 211
None of the current Apple mice are worth a crap ergonomically. They do not support the wrist or the ball of the hand. Are they pretty? Yes. Are their innards technically good at mousing? With the exception of the Mighty Mouse right-click fiasco, yes.

But they do not help the body avoid repetitive stress.
J.C. Corbin, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator
Member, Apple Consultants Network
www.ro3.com
Reply
J.C. Corbin, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator
Member, Apple Consultants Network
www.ro3.com
Reply
post #118 of 211
Quote:
Originally posted by Archstudent
My original point was that it is irritating when people assume that noone else needs a multi button scrolling mouse or dedicated VRAM, just because they themselves do not need/like them. I also pointed out that apple are slightly guilty of this because they do not always give you enough options when buying a mac. In that respect your argument above seems to agree with mine. It is not single button mice themselves that annoys me, OR people who use them, but it is when ppl assure me that we don't need things like functional mice or dedicated VRAM and that therefore Apple shouldn't give us options because we don't need them. That was the point of my original post I'm sorry if you misinterpreted it.

Apple held onto the one button mouse for so long for very good reasons, it was part of their design standards built into the OS, and the philosophy of the OS having standard interface options so that software operates in a coherent and predictable manner. Thus there are certain modifier keys that work with the keyboard and mouse to add functionality. If you need something more get it, there are drivers that give you extra function and customization. However, that personal customization adds a level of complexity and unreliability in how the program and mouse interact which you did not have with the standard one button mouse option from Apple. I'm sure there is someone else on the boards here that can put it more concisely and coherently than I have, but suffice it to say that it was part of the software interface and philosophy of the OS that Apple avoided the multi-button mouse for so long.
post #119 of 211
Quote:
Originally posted by jccbin
None of the current Apple mice are worth a crap ergonomically. They do not support the wrist or the ball of the hand. Are they pretty? Yes. Are their innards technically good at mousing? With the exception of the Mighty Mouse right-click fiasco, yes.

But they do not help the body avoid repetitive stress.

I think you raise a good point, but there are certain advantages, for one, a middle click on most scroll wheels requires about twice the force as a standard button click, on the Mighty Mouse, it is the same force. I middle click a lot and I think the mighty mouse has made a difference. That and the scroll ball are the reasons why I didn't return it.
post #120 of 211
Quote:
Originally posted by Archstudent
1)mbp is 15"
2)mbp is too expensive for students
3)you are speculating about the spec of this machine
4)in any case I will wait and see what is available if and when I get a new machine

I feel for you as a student. I was a student once as well, living la vida poor. However, as an architechure student your requirements are a bit different than the average student. They can easily get by with integrated graphics. While it pushes you to a higher price you really need a MBP. If you look at it as an investment, it isn't so bad. You will probably get 4-5 years of good service out of it, maybe more.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › News Flash: Apple to hold press event next Thursday