or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Powermacs

Powermacs

post #1 of 9
The people who buy powermacs are pretty much developers and creative professionals. Most of them know what they are looking for and don't need apple to tell them what to get. I mean I've used a mac mini for anything up to flash, dreamweaver, and a little Maya and FCP work. Its not too miserable. But to encourage people to drop that much money on something which is almost obsolete is rediculuous
post #2 of 9
...as someone who has use a quad powermac with 4gigs of memory and 10K drives (2), I assure you would want one.
post #3 of 9
Oh, I agree that they are some of the most amazing computers. I recently bought one with 2 gbs of ram and 4 2.5ghz processors. Its most definately worth it. But then again, I hate intel with a passion and this is about all the power I am going to need for a while. And the 30+ list of errors that the intel chip has wasn't convincing me of the reasons why intel is good.
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally posted by neuromancerzero
Oh, I agree that they are some of the most amazing computers. I recently bought one with 2 gbs of ram and 4 2.5ghz processors. Its most definately worth it. But then again, I hate intel with a passion and this is about all the power I am going to need for a while. And the 30+ list of errors that the intel chip has wasn't convincing me of the reasons why intel is good.

A microprocessor is an almost incomprehensibly complex beast. Anything of that complexity that is designed by human beings is going to have some flaws. For instance, check out IBM's errata for the PowerPC 970FX (a newer iteration of the G5, which Apple uses in several machines):

PowerPC 970FX Errata (PDF; 331K)
--
[alloc init]
--
[alloc init]
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally posted by neuromancerzero
to encourage people to drop that much money on something which is almost obsolete is rediculuous

Just because it's being discontinued doesn't stop it being useful. If you have a G5 powermac, it will last a good while performance-wise.
post #6 of 9
the fact is, Intel make mean microchip.. They aren't the leading manufacturer of PC processors for no reason. Apple switched to Intel because they make BETTER chips than IBM. core duo really is better than the standard g4/g5 chips they had in the imac, powerbook and mac mini, mainly because you are packing 2 chips compared with 1 in the G5 imac or g4 pbook. I expect that the intel chips apple will replace the current dual core G5s with will be excellent also.. Its just that the software isn't ready yet.. Your PPC based macs will still be good for a long time.
post #7 of 9
Is this thread an accidental thread instead of a reply to the thread about the "which Mac are you" thing on Apple.com?
post #8 of 9
Quote:
They aren't the leading manufacturer of PC processors for no reason.

Microsoft is the leading supplier of OS but that doesnt mean they're great. Intel is only starting to make great chips again, the P4 architecture was horrendous. The G5 is a rocking chip, only to die an early death from a lack of funding because IBM wants the console market.
post #9 of 9
AMD is gonna be in for a hammering these coming months.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Powermacs