or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Post your 2006 ProMac mock-ups here!!

Post your 2006 ProMac mock-ups here!!

post #1 of 243
Most people seem to think apple will do a case redesign, with their WWDC professional desktops. Will apple simply improve on the current design, as in thinner/smaller etc. or should we expect a completely new approach to the overall design of their next pro desktops. Let's give those people a chance to show us what apple might do! Post your mock-ups of the new "ProfessionalMac" here in this thread. (and yes I know there is another desktop thread, but that is focused on ports, and the internal aspects, this thread is purely for aesthetics)

This is apple's current professional desktop case design:

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #2 of 243
i think apple will go back to the on the side desktop approach. So it will look like an george foreman grill!

post #3 of 243
Perhaps you mean aesthetics?

Dictionary
as·cet·ic (?-s?t'?k)
n.
A person who renounces material comforts and leads a life of austere self-discipline, especially as an act of religious devotion.

adj.
Leading a life of self-discipline and self-denial, especially for spiritual improvement. See synonyms at severe.
Pertaining to or characteristic of an ascetic; self-denying and austere: an ascetic existence.
[Late Greek ask?tikos, from Greek ask?t?s, practitioner, hermit, monk, from askein, to work.]

ascetically as·cet'i·cal·ly adv.

aesthetics

also spelled esthetics, the philosophical study of beauty and taste. To define its subject matter more precisely is, however, immensely difficult. Indeed, it could be said that self-definition has been the major task of modern aesthetics. We are acquainted with an interesting and puzzling realm of experience: the realm of the beautiful, the ugly, the sublime, and the elegant; of taste, criticism, and fine art; and of contemplation, sensuous enjoyment, and charm. In all these phenomena we believe that similar principles are operative and that similar interests are engaged. If we are mistaken in this impression, we will have to dismiss such ideas as beauty and taste as having only peripheral philosophical interest. Alternatively, if our impression is correct and philosophy corroborates it, we will have discovered the basis for a philosophical aesthetics.

post #4 of 243
Quote:
Originally posted by fooey
i think apple will go back to the on the side desktop approach. So it will look like an george foreman grill!

that looks like a giant robotic frog!!

in addition to grilling i hope it syncs with .mac and itunes!!!!!!!!!
post #5 of 243
Quote:

Oooh I don't know I think there might be a heat issue.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
post #6 of 243
Quote:
Originally posted by Relic
Oooh I don't know I think there might be a heat issue.

the heat will be transferred through the patented iSteak or iBurger
post #7 of 243
Quote:

MacBook Pro 1.83 GHz 1 GB RAM
MacBook Pro 1.83 GHz 1 GB RAM
post #8 of 243
yes, but the thermal grease will give you clogged arteries.

post #9 of 243
Quote:

Just don't apply too much thermal ketchup or you might have a problem.
post #10 of 243
Quote:

Apple already produce an iGrill with the MBP.
post #11 of 243
Quote:
Originally posted by monkeyastronaut
that looks like a giant robotic frog!!

Wow this thread went down the swanny very quickly?
post #12 of 243
Quote:
Originally posted by ThinkingDifferent
Apple already produce an iGrill with the MBP.

i like to think of it as an iHotwaterbottle in the nz winter
post #13 of 243
You guys are lame

;^p
Late 2009 Unibody MacBook (modified)
2.26GHz Core 2 Duo CPU/8GB RAM/60GB SSD/500GB HDD
SuperDrive delete
SuperDrive delete
post #14 of 243
Quote:
Originally posted by MacRonin
You guys are lame

;^p

iLame? No way!
post #15 of 243
Quote:
Originally posted by ThinkingDifferent
iLame? No way!

Way!

Totally!

Dude

Lame
SuperDrive delete
SuperDrive delete
post #16 of 243
as if!

post #17 of 243
WTF? Where are the mockups this thread purportedly promises??? GRRR
post #18 of 243
iLaugh!

Really, the thing looks like it's ready to spit after it burns your DVD. Pun intended.

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

post #19 of 243
For serious,

I don't have photoshop, and if I did I'd be completely unable to use it (I do CAD for a living, not art, hehehe)

So will all you artistic folks indulge my fantasies and mock up something pretty? I've got hopes to get up here.

Thanks,

-Zhero
post #20 of 243
If I don't see a serious attempt at a mockup by tomorrow morning, I'll be locking this thread.
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
post #21 of 243
Quote:
Originally posted by audiopollution
If I don't see a serious attempt at a mockup by tomorrow morning, I'll be locking this thread.

Anybody have the iKey?
post #22 of 243
Originally posted by audiopollution

post #23 of 243
Officially "Worst Mockup Ever"

post #24 of 243
It's just Dell's entry into the aerospace propulsion industry.

post #25 of 243
It wouldn't suprise me if the New Powermac will be very similar to the current G5 design. It will have an IR port.

I really hope they keep the design very similar. I suspect the inside of the unit wont be as aesthetically pleasing but we'll soon see I suppose.
trevorM

- Apple Dual 1.85Ghz Power Mac G5, 2Gb, 80Gb, Superdrive, Bluetooth, Airport.
- Apple 30" Cinema HD
- Apple 800Mhz Powerbook G4, 512Mb, 40Gb, Combo drive, Airport
trevorM

- Apple Dual 1.85Ghz Power Mac G5, 2Gb, 80Gb, Superdrive, Bluetooth, Airport.
- Apple 30" Cinema HD
- Apple 800Mhz Powerbook G4, 512Mb, 40Gb, Combo drive, Airport
post #26 of 243
They do all sorts of things with the standard ATX mobo, Apple could too, so the internals in a Mac Pro may yet look cool.

Here's Gigabyte's take on a "cool" ATX mobo:
http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2605
post #27 of 243
Thought I'd have a go at this.
Not to sure about it though, the idea is a bit cheap..

post #28 of 243
Since the MacBook Pros looked a lot like the PowerBook G4s, I'd guess the Mac Pros will look a lot like the PowerMac G5s.

Also, since they go under your desk, I can't see an IR port on them. Nor an iSight. And it doesn't make sense to have the MagSafe connectors on a Desktop that has no battery.

So, I say Mac Pro has no change in visible design. Internal changes of course...

However, my prediction is for new displays to go with the Mac Pro - that includes IR and iSight. Price to be the same, and everyone to complain that the extra $1,000 more than the comparable Dell isn't worth it for an iSight that doesn't focus and an IR port with a remote control with only 6 buttons.

Would do a mockup, but it would look the same as current, but with a small hole at the top of the display for the iSight.
post #29 of 243
They have to release a slimmer body.

I think the CD/DVD drive will be vertically placed to save some width. The cooling towers for the cpus will likely be smaller than for the G5 plutonium device, saving more internal space.

Look at what they have done with the iMac. If you remove the display, it frees a lot of space even in the iMac body. Leave room for an extra HD and a second optical drive.

Of course 2-3 PC slots and of course built-in USB and FW ports galore.

post #30 of 243
Played around with SketchUp for a little and came up with a device 4.7 inches wide, 14 inches high and 14 inches deep and thus would fit on a desk, rather than under it.

dual-core or quad core

2 optical drive bays, slot loading vertically placed on front
2 internal HD bays
3 PCI-x or whatever slots
5 cooling fans (1 on powersupply)

front ports: USB2 X 2, FW400 X 1, FW800 X 1, head phone, audio in (mic or line, menu selectable)

rear ports:
USB2 X 3 (plus 1 for the monitor)
FW800 X 2 (plus 1 FW400 for the monitor)
GB Ethernet
2 monitor uts
fiber-optic audio in/out
audio out (mini jack)
expansion bay doors X 3

post #31 of 243
Quote:
Originally posted by NielsD

hmmm, you have your toaster slots the wrong way, they should face up. The amount of heat that bad boy will pipe out will surely roast any media you put in the dual slots!!!
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
post #32 of 243
Isn't that why they are called CD burners ?

I thought it was a half-decent looking take-off on the mini; far better than what I came up with in SketchUp... it would have air intakes underneath and vents in the back.

post #33 of 243
My 2¢ are that I agree that it will remain in the G5 case for now. Which I love BTW.
onlooker

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
onlooker

post #34 of 243
Come on, we're talkin Intel machines that run Windows now.... You gotta start thinking like the "other side"

post #35 of 243
For the record, that case above is friggin hideous.
post #36 of 243
Come on people, I wanna see MacPro mockups that have neon lights and stuff....!!! and big ass air vents...!!!
post #37 of 243

Sorry but I have to say it's ugly. Too fat, no style. But thank you for doing a mockup, this thread stays alive now that some mockups are actually being posted (otherwise the moderator threatened to lock this thread because we were all fooling around and not actually doing any mockups).
post #38 of 243
After sunilramans gaudy, hideous, design up there I am officially requesting a thread lock.
onlooker

onlooker

post #39 of 243
post #40 of 243
Quote:
Originally posted by sunilraman

Sorry but I have to say it's ugly.

I'd say it's a lot nicer than the monstrosity that you posted!

I like the white area at the bottom with the ports.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Post your 2006 ProMac mock-ups here!!