or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple unveils Intel-based MacBook notebooks

Apple unveils Intel-based MacBook notebooks - Page 4

post #121 of 441
Quote:
Originally posted by MacGregor
[B]What I don't like seeing is that Apple is actually reducing its range of offerings at a time when switchers are looking for more of the variety that they are used to getting.

But it makes sense for Apple to drop products that have low demand. Reportedly, the 12" powerbook didn't sell nearly as well as the ibooks or the other powerbooks. Most consumers thought it was too similar to the ibook and just went with that cheaper option.

Choices are great, but they should stick with the options that people are interested and shouldn't waste time and money carrying configs that are unpopular.

I don't see a "pro" machine in 13", people need to stop living in denial and accept that the model is gone. If there are additions to the line, they would be completely different models like an ultra mini at 10 or 11" or even one bigger than 17. There's no point in having redundant models at the same size, they just need to cater to the pros with fast chips and other BTO options.
post #122 of 441
Quote:
Originally posted by MacSuperiority
OMG why would you CTO your Mac with extra memory. Order a stick from newegg or something and save yourself 50 bucks. its so easy to install.

It would actually cost some people more to do that. To go from 2x256 to 2x512 Apple is charging $100. Outright buying 2 512 sticks is going to cost you about $140 at least. Then you have to go through the hassle of trying ot sell the old 2 256mb sticks to recoup the price. I can see your point if your looking at the 2gb upgrade as 2 1gb sticks would be around $300, and you could save $200 even if you threw away the 2 256mb sticks.

And no, you dont want to buy 1 1gb stick and put it in there, youll kill your video performance. They only sell them with dual channel configured memory with matching pairs for this reason. The Intel 950 runs MUCH better when its running with dual channel memory.
post #123 of 441
Quote:
Originally posted by solsun
Melgross, not trying to start a fight here, but seriously, it seems like you will say anything other than admitting that you were wrong?

I was one of the ones who predicted $1099 and was shot down by you and many others. I never said anything about processor speed. I simply said they will all be dual-core and include iSight, mag-safe connectors, latch, a remote control and the base model will cost $1099.

Of course they could have delivered a model at $999 by including a slower single-core processor and dropping some of the specs, but all signs (and rumors) were indicating that Apple was adding functionality and features, even to it's entry level machines..

AAPL typically always drops on announcement day and then rebounds to a higher price within a week. Today's drop is nothing un-usual.. The market is also reacting to the new Creative lawsuit.

$1099 is not too high, I'd be willing to bet that within a few months time, this will become Apple's best selling computer. However, I do agree that paying $150 extra for the color black is bit of a stretch to say the least.

Anyways, instead of just arguing for arguments sake, it's time to just admit that you were wrong and move on. No big deal..

I'll admit I was wrong. I thought there would be a $999 model with a core solo or 1.6ghz core duo like ecking predicted. While the 1099 price point is higher than what I wish they would begin the Macbooks at, they have overdelivered on the specs. I don't recall anyone predicting the entry level macbook to carry a 1.8 ghz core duo. For the price I think that is a great value.

As for the black Macbook eating into MBP sales, I actually see it the other way. I think it is to close to the entry level MBP and buyers will opt for the MBP instead of the black Macbook. I think the entry level Macbook will sell like hotcakes. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
post #124 of 441
Quote:
Originally posted by doh123
It would actually cost some people more to do that. To go from 2x256 to 2x512 Apple is charging $100. Outright buying 2 512 sticks is going to cost you about $140 at least. Then you have to go through the hassle of trying ot sell the old 2 256mb sticks to recoup the price. I can see your point if your looking at the 2gb upgrade as 2 1gb sticks would be around $300, and you could save $200 even if you threw away the 2 256mb sticks.

And no, you dont want to buy 1 1gb stick and put it in there, youll kill your video performance. They only sell them with dual channel configured memory with matching pairs for this reason. The Intel 950 runs MUCH better when its running with dual channel memory.

Is the memory the same as the G4 iBook? Could I pull the 2x256 out and put it in my daughter's 14" G4?
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #125 of 441
Quote:
Originally posted by e1618978
Is the memory the same as the G4 iBook? Could I pull the 2x256 out and put it in my daughter's 14" G4?

No the memory is different. It's 667mhz ddr2 ram I'm pretty sure. The same as in the imac, macmini and macbook pro.
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
post #126 of 441
The memory is completely different.
post #127 of 441
Quote:

I don't think so. its 667mhz pc5300 so-dimm and your G4 takes PC2700 DDR.
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
post #128 of 441
Quote:

No.
post #129 of 441
Quote:
Glossy or Matte displays should be BTO for all laptops.

I'm surprised Apple went with glossy in reality it sucks. You have to angle the screen away from glare and reflection behind you.

Glossy gives the impression of being sharper and more vivid because it reflects more light towards the eye.

No glossy totally sucks for professionals. If you need to see accurate color or contrast reflections and glare would totally corrupt the image.
post #130 of 441
1gb of ram for intel macs from gigaram costs $82 at newegg..and many reviews of intel mac owners sucessfully using it...so it's the best sure deal i've seen if you want to bump it...
a little disappointed with the gma950 but it's not that terrible

and i could care less about black laptops...that's so 90s and a total marketing ploy for the novelty factor...sure there are some resons it's useful esp for professionals, but the macbook isn't their professional line..
post #131 of 441
The CPUs are a nice upgrade, but integrated video in a $1300-1400 laptop? For shame Apple, for shame!

You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
post #132 of 441
Quote:
Originally posted by minderbinder
Front row and the remote are useful when it's hooked to a bigger screen (is there a mini DVI to TV adapter?). Heck, the remote is useful when it's hooked to the stereo, do you need to see the screen to turn volume up and down, or to skip to the next song? And yes, I'd consider widescreen a feature considering how many people are watching videos on their laptops.

Yes, there is a mini DVI to S-Video adapter available ($20). For sound, you can pick up a mini-jack to split stereo pretty much anywhere these days.

Still, these space-wasting features leave me begging for another "professional" ultraportable notebook from Apple. An alternative for people who want something lighter and smaller with a good battery life. In the meantime, there's plenty of fight left in my pb.
post #133 of 441
I've just got back from checking these out at lunch and the MacBooks are gonna be serious hits.

The black is a very classy looking machine. Has a good solid feel and seems resistant to scratching.

The white is very similar in color/texture to the opaque iBooks.

The keyboards are nice. They're very solid and nice feel to them. Thewhole keyboard is also recessed a bit so key marks on the screen should be a thing of the past for certain.

Magnetic latching is amazing and has a very positive feel to it. You won't be accidentally popping it open. It's very much akin to the Magsafe power connector. It's either definitely open or definitely shut. No vagueness at all.

The glossy screen looks nice. I can see how it could cause some glare but I'm fairly certain I'd be very happy with it.

All in all, very worthy upgrades and should sell extremely well.

That's all I have for now. I couldn't play more because they were just setting up the two demo machines.

ps - the battery on these things looks significantly larger than the old iBook/PowerBook batteries. It may be thinner but I'd guess that's where some of the increased weight stems from in these new machines. They certainly don't *look* like they should weigh more than an iBook judging by looks alone.
Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
post #134 of 441
European prices (incl. VAT):

Germany: 1079 EUR / 1279 EUR / 1479 EUR

Austria: 1119 EUR / 1319 EUR / 1519 EUR

Italy: 1119 EUR / 1319 EUR / 1519 EUR

France: 1099 EUR / 1299 EUR / 1499 EUR

post #135 of 441
Quote:
Originally posted by iPoster
The CPUs are a nice upgrade, but integrated video in a $1300-1400 laptop? For shame Apple, for shame!

Throw a little shame Lennovo's way. They are about to introduce widescreen core duo laptops. Only in the top end model can you configure a machine wih a graphics card. Intel itegrated graphics only on the lower models. While pricing has not released in the article it did mention that in the celeron m configuration price would 'dip' below $1000. It wouldn't be difficult to see $1400 thinkpads with core duos and integrated graphics.

link http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=2323
post #136 of 441
Quote:
Originally posted by jdbartlett
Still, these space-wasting features leave me begging for another "professional" ultraportable notebook from Apple. An alternative for people who want something lighter and smaller with a good battery life. In the meantime, there's plenty of fight left in my pb.

Space wasting? What, the IR? The widescreen?

This thing is only slightly wider than the old 12". If you want something smaller, you really want a completely new model, not a rehash of the small powerbooks.
post #137 of 441
Quote:
Originally posted by kim kap sol
Looks like Apple is planning to rake in the cash with the black MacBook for...$200 MORE!!! (ok...so it's got 20 extra gigs of storage space...that's not worth 200 more. )

They must be charging for the rare indigo black dye in the plastic.
post #138 of 441
After seeing it firsthand, I'd say the black looks really fantastic. That said, I'd go for the white anyhow. I'm not that image conscious and I'd rather put the money saved toward drive/RAM upgrades.

I can definitely see a lot of people buying it though as it *does* look that good in person.
post #139 of 441
Quote:
Originally posted by cj171
1gb of ram for intel macs from gigaram costs $82 at newegg..and many reviews of intel mac owners sucessfully using it...so it's the best sure deal i've seen if you want to bump it...
a little disappointed with the gma950 but it's not that terrible

and i could care less about black laptops...that's so 90s and a total marketing ploy for the novelty factor...sure there are some resons it's useful esp for professionals, but the macbook isn't their professional line..

thats strange that newegg has many brands that cheap, while crucial and many other direct memory sellers are double that price.

Grabbing 2 1gb sticks under 200 would be very nice and saving a lot of money, just dont grab one stick, make sure you keep matching paris of memory. It will work without matching pairs, but the intel GMA950 will suffer a lot.

I'm not sure who to trust though, as some of the bigger better brands have double the prices, or the same prices for much slower memory. This is very odd overall, and i cant even find that stick of memory Newegg has on Gigarams website.
post #140 of 441
Quote:
Originally posted by doh123
thats strange that newegg has many brands that cheap, while crucial and many other direct memory sellers are double that price.

Grabbing 2 1gb sticks under 200 would be very nice and saving a lot of money, just dont grab one stick, make sure you keep matching paris of memory. It will work without matching pairs, but the intel GMA950 will suffer a lot.

I'm not sure who to trust though, as some of the bigger better brands have double the prices, or the same prices for much slower memory. This is very odd overall, and i cant even find that stick of memory Newegg has on Gigarams website.

Generally speaking, you get what you pay for in RAM.. To be safe, I'd stick with trusted brands like Crucial. Better to be safe than sorry.
post #141 of 441
Quote:
Originally posted by Relic
I'm really upset about the 12-inch, I hate that scratch prone case on the MacBook. Give me a Alu please, 12-inch or smaller.

i'll sell you my 12".....
post #142 of 441
Quote:
Melgross, not trying to start a fight here, but seriously, it seems like you will say anything other than admitting that you were wrong?

You can post information that directly contradicts his statements and he'll still never admit to being wrong.

Like how Mini sales are poor, sales of Apple computers constantly fell after Jobs' return, etc...

Frankly, if you are an edu buyer looking at 10K units MSRP has very little bearing on the price you pay. You will not be paying $1M more than a similarly spec'd machine from Dell which as near as I can tell is the Latitude D520:

14.1" display, GMA950, Core Duo 1.83, 512MB RAM, 40GB HD, BlueTooth. $1350 with edu discount in qty 1.

Vinea
post #143 of 441
Quote:
Originally posted by vinea
You can post information that directly contradicts his statements and he'll still never admit to being wrong.

I have to agree with you, this is the second time I've called him on being wrong and he somehow tries to twist the information to make it appear that he was right all along.. He'd definitely make a good lawyer! (no offense, Melgross)
post #144 of 441
Quote:
Originally posted by Splinemodel
I think this is a small number of people. The only time I've ever burned a DVD is to make a Linux install disc. I don't really see what's the point of burning DVDs unless you are making video, which most folks use the internet to deliver these days.

I'm constantly backing up all my DVDs and keeping the burned copies at the TV where the grandkids don't destroy the originals. I also don't feel so greedy now that I can loan a DVD to my family, before I had a rule, DVDs never left the house. I think archiving will become more and more popular. I've done it for years with my CDs now with my movies. Very nice.
post #145 of 441
Quote:
[i]I'd like to get rid of it, but don't want to spend any money on Virtual PC or a non-OEM version of XP Pro. (I only have the OEM CD that came with the laptop).[/B]

I wish there was a way that the online vendors who are now preloading BootCamp and XP (for a fee of course) could figure out how to load Parallels virtual product and an OEM version of XP and make it less expensive then us doing it because they work out a bulk purchase deal.
post #146 of 441
I'm going to white one with superdrive

but (i know that this is not the correct thread) I want to buy video iPod immediately (30G white - so ideal combination for travelling also with my white PSP and this new MacBook) - question is - when we could expect the new iPods??? I don't want to buy one tommorow and on day or two Steve will unvail the fully new ones...
post #147 of 441
Quote:
Originally posted by umijin
WTF - 5.2 pounds??! What are they thinking?!

This is a pound heavier than the G4 12" PowerBook. I thought the whole idea behind switching to Intel was to conserve size and power.

This is a major disappointment, and won't sell so well here in Japan where people predominantly use public transportation and actually have to CARRY their laptops.

1 lb makes or breaks your ability to carry a laptop onto a public transport. Ever thought about exercise?
post #148 of 441
Quote:
Originally posted by Pavel

but (i know that this is not the correct thread) I want to buy video iPod immediately (30G white - so ideal combination for travelling also with my white PSP and this new MacBook) - question is - when we could expect the new iPods??? I don't want to buy one tommorow and on day or two Steve will unvail the fully new ones...

Wait.
post #149 of 441
Quote:
Originally posted by Pavel

You're right, wrong thread... No one knows for sure when new iPods will arrive, but my best guess would be around Sep or Oct, before the holiday shopping season begins.
post #150 of 441
Quote:
Originally posted by sandau
I don't think so. its 667mhz pc5300 so-dimm and your G4 takes PC2700 DDR.

If AsusTek are developing these motherboards it doesn't surprise me on the pc5300 memory. I just configured a barebones tower for a linux dev box with an Intel 805 D that supports 1GigE, 4Gig 667Mhz RAM, Intel 945G (950DMA) graphics,etc.

I put in 2 1gig Crucial sticks and configured X for 256MB of RAM and it's very snappy.

I assume that Apple's Quartz server will allocate the RAM for you and when I upgrade I'll check it out.

I'm still waiting on the the PowerMac G5 replacement.
post #151 of 441
Quote:
Originally posted by jdbartlett
Well, I guess there is the extra 12 pixels all along the bottom! That's almost enough for the dock...

First of all, it's an extra 32 pixels, not twelve, and in a 1280x800 screen, vs. 1024x768 of current iBook, that's an extra 237,568 pixels.
====
"The Matrix is here, and it's vegan-friendly." (TM) 2004, Trinity Life Systems
====
"The Matrix is here, and it's vegan-friendly." (TM) 2004, Trinity Life Systems
post #152 of 441
Quote:
Originally posted by booisgolden
i used to have a tangerine ibook, and from what i recall, there was no diff in the specs for the diff colors (i miss that one soooo much!).

My wife still uses her original blueberry iBook every day. I often enjoy the freedom of walking around the house wirelessly with it. I like the old tiolet lid personally to. That black MacBook is causing me to reach for the debit card, but dang it I'm saving up for the MB Pro.
post #153 of 441
Quote:
Originally posted by minderbinder
Space wasting? What, the IR? The widescreen?

This thing is only slightly wider than the old 12". If you want something smaller, you really want a completely new model, not a rehash of the small powerbooks.

Which begs the question, when will apple redesign the MBPro, since it is really just a rehash of the PB with an intel processor?
post #154 of 441
Quote:
Originally posted by G_Warren
Now that it supports an external display without just mirroring, I wonder if I could run it with the lid closed using my bluetooth keyboard and mouse. Thoughts?

More then likely, but why would you not want the dual monitor setup? I have it at home and work and it's SO nice having all my tool windows ALL open on the smaller screen. You work so much more efficently.
post #155 of 441
200 bucks or not, the black model is very tempting. We've been white for so long...
iMac G5 (20"); iPod 5.5G 30GB; MacBook (Black) Core Duo
iMac G5 (20"); iPod 5.5G 30GB; MacBook (Black) Core Duo
post #156 of 441
Does anyone know if the MacBook will power a 30" inch display at 1920*1200 resolution?
post #157 of 441
Quote:
Does anyone know if the MacBook will power a 30" inch display at 1920*1200 resolution?

Dual link DVI is not supported so the 30" screen is out.
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
post #158 of 441
Quote:
Originally posted by Xool
Dual link DVI is not supported so the 30" screen is out.

Thanks, that's what I thought, but wasn't certain.
post #159 of 441
Can I assume the RAM that the MacBooks come with isn't soldered in? Otherwise, everything y'all are saying about getting 2 1GB sticks would be pointless given the 2GB limit.

Would DIY RAM installation void the warranty on one of these puppies?
post #160 of 441
WHAT'S WITH THE PREMUM PRICE FOR BLACK!!??

\ WHAT'S WITH THE PREMUM PRICE FOR BLACK!!??
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple unveils Intel-based MacBook notebooks