or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple updates MacBook Pro line with faster chips
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple updates MacBook Pro line with faster chips

post #1 of 45
Thread Starter 
While unveiling its much anticipated line of MacBook consumer notebooks on Tuesday, Apple Computer also upped the speed of its professional MacBook Pro line and added a new widescreen display option.

The company increased processor speeds on both models of the 15-inch MacBook Pro at no additional cost. The $2,499 model now includes a 2.16 GHz Intel Core Duo processor, up from 2.0 GHz, and the $1,999 model now includes a 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo processor, up from 1.83 GHz.

Also as of Tuesday, both the 15-and 17-inch MacBook Pro models offer Apple's new glossy widescreen display as a CTO option on at no additional cost.
According to Apple, customers should choose the glossy widescreen display if they want to make their graphics, photos, and videos appear with richer color and deeper blacks. The new display is also great for watching DVD movies, the company said.

Meanwhile, those customers who prefer a display with anti-glare coating for a matte rather than glossy viewing experience, should stick with the standard widescreen display.

Apple says both widescreen displays options are significantly brighter than previous Apple notebooks. The 15-inch MacBook Pro is said to be 67 percent brighter than the 15-inch PowerBook G4, and the 17-inch model is reportedly 36 percent brighter than the 17-inch PowerBook G4.
post #2 of 45
Should that be BTO (Build to Order), or does CTO stand for something else? I can only think of 'Chief Technical Officer'.
post #3 of 45
I think that was a typo.

The graphics card is intel, does that mean its integrated?

Well even so, it can do an extended desktop. My iBook was only able to mirror. So it's a definite improvement!
post #4 of 45
CTO = Configure to Order.

Everything you order online from the Apple Store is considered BTO (Build to Order), because you've ordered it to be built, even if you don't change the specs. If you request any change in the base specs (additional RAM, bigger hard drive), you've made it CTO. So the screen change is a CTO option.
post #5 of 45
CTO and BTO are the same thing.
post #6 of 45
256mb VRAM on the MBpro blows away the piddly 64mb VRAM (shared) on the MacBook.....

but i love that black finish
post #7 of 45
in Europe... at least in the Netherlands
the MBP is a lot cheaper now:

15" MBP 2.0GHz 128MB GPU is about 150 cheaper than the previous 15" MBP 1.83Ghz 128MB GPU.

15" MBP 2.16Ghz 256MB GPU is about 200 cheaper than the previous 15" MBP 2.0Ghz 256MB GPU.

17" MBP 2.16Ghz is about 90 cheaper.

alles sal reg kom
Reply
alles sal reg kom
Reply
post #8 of 45
Only question now is when are they gonna up the speeds on the iMac to show the price reduction from Intel?
post #9 of 45
Quote:
Originally posted by MacSuperiority
Only question now is when are they gonna up the speeds on the iMac to show the price reduction from Intel?

Or will they just drop prices?

Nice to see a (second!) speed bump so quickly.
post #10 of 45
What the crap is "glossy screen"???

I really, really hope it means no Brightness Enhancement Filter on the screen for increased viewing range . . . but it probably doesn't.
post #11 of 45
Quote:
Originally posted by minderbinder
Or will they just drop prices?

Nice to see a (second!) speed bump so quickly.

Get used to it; unlike IBM/Motorola/Freescale, Intel/amd acctually increase proformance now and then. When that happenes it means that the older chips tend to fade from the supply line (or are availible in too small a quantity for a mass builder like Apple to use in several lines) so the party is just getting started -- look for speed bumps (or feature tweaks like faster bus, or more L2 cache) every 90-120 days.
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
Reply
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
Reply
post #12 of 45
Quote:
Originally posted by lhvide
256mb VRAM on the MBpro blows away the piddly 64mb VRAM (shared) on the MacBook.....

but i love that black finish

If you are doing anything that needs texture memory like that, then you probably would benefit from a faster graphics chip anyway.
post #13 of 45
Quote:
Originally posted by JeffDM
If you are doing anything that needs texture memory like that, then you probably would benefit from a faster graphics chip anyway.

Not to mention a bigger screen.
post #14 of 45
Quote:
Originally posted by cinder
What the crap is "glossy screen"???

I really, really hope it means no Brightness Enhancement Filter on the screen for increased viewing range . . . but it probably doesn't.

I think it means a glossy top coat rather than a diffuse top coat on the screen surface. The difuse surface hurts the blacks because it scatters light from everywhere and reduces apparent contrast by washing out the blacks a bit.

Several notebooks and desktop screens have come out with gloss coated screens. I don't like it though, because it has a strong glare potential. There is a good anti-glare coating for CRT screens (I think similar to those optional on eyeglasses) but I haven't seen it used on LCDs yet.
post #15 of 45
so could this be the Rev B Macbook Pros??? if so, now i can finally get one.


*i promised myself i would at least wait till the 1st revisions came out
post #16 of 45
Quote:
Originally posted by a_greer
look for speed bumps (or feature tweaks like faster bus, or more L2 cache) every 90-120 days.

We're getting close to the end of the line for ICD upgrades. Next stop, Merom. Hopefully coming our way in August.
post #17 of 45
Quote:
Originally posted by backtomac
We're getting close to the end of the line for ICD upgrades. Next stop, Merom. Hopefully coming our way in August.

ICD?
post #18 of 45
Quote:
Originally posted by minderbinder
ICD?

ICD= Intel Core Duo (yonah). It is supposed to max out at 2.3ghz if I remember correctly.
post #19 of 45
Quote:
Originally posted by DeaPeaJay
I think that was a typo.

The graphics card is intel, does that mean its integrated?

Well even so, it can do an extended desktop. My iBook was only able to mirror. So it's a definite improvement!

You're talking about the Macbook, right. The Pro uses ATI 1600 mobile gpus.
post #20 of 45
Quote:
Originally posted by kritikal
so could this be the Rev B Macbook Pros??? if so, now i can finally get one.


*i promised myself i would at least wait till the 1st revisions came out

No doubt Apple has been fixing problems, but there is no reason, as yet, to believe that it's a major revision. The chips just drop in.
post #21 of 45
Personally I'm attracted to the glossy Vaio's in the store and the depth of the contrast they give, but for a traveling laptop, the matte finish is so much better in a dozen ways. If I needed that contrast though, I'd buy it in a second display that would stay in my office where I would be doing the real graphics work anyway.

it is nice to have options though!!! Lets just regain the OPTION of a smaller pro laptop though!!!!
The Mother of all flip-flops!!
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
Reply
The Mother of all flip-flops!!
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
Reply
post #22 of 45
the macbook pro / powerbook g4 design has been around for quite a while now. i know the macbook pro has different dimensions and they've changed the display bezel to accomodate for the camera, but essentially it's still the same case design. Now a black 15/17 inch macbook pro would be very nice... Any guesses how long it will be before the macbook pros get a new look?
post #23 of 45
8) Smooth moves from Apple - upped the clocking on the MacBook Pros :thumbs: Yeah the glossy screen phenomenon is weird, some people like it some hate it. So having it as an option will be interesting. Probably gotta see it in store and get a feel of whether you'll like the gloss or matte black.

Yeah now up the clocking on the iMac Core Duo!
post #24 of 45
Quote:
Originally posted by kritikal
so could this be the Rev B Macbook Pros??? if so, now i can finally get one.


*i promised myself i would at least wait till the 1st revisions came out

Apple is probably at Rev D or E with the Macbook Pros.
post #25 of 45
Quote:
[i]
Yeah now up the clocking on the iMac Core Duo! [/B]

How?
post #26 of 45
Quote:
Originally posted by kim kap sol
Apple is probably at Rev D or E with the Macbook Pros.

Not officially. I'm sure they've made various tweaks, but the rumors that they have moved to official revs turned out not to be true. Making small adjustments doesn't count as a rev.
post #27 of 45
Quote:
Originally posted by netdog
How?

I think he was hoping Apple would offer them with faster chips like the MacBook Pro, not going inside an already bought unit and change the clocking.
post #28 of 45
time to up the Mac Mini as well ... atleast to 1.67 Ghz Core duos both ...

here wait time is 10 days ... hopefully i will touch one of the MacBooks and bring one of them to home too ...

awesome, except

1) they put atleast some model of 64MB/128MB (the feeling will be better even only few will gain the performace )
2) remove 2 x 256 and put one 512 ... so people can upgrade when they have $$$ (especially considering IG will take 64 to 80 MB RAM)

everything else is fantastic! and price too... value for money!!

wonder, when merom available, apple will use them in MacBooks as well...(may be the high end black model?) since macbook now using 1.8 and 2.0 Ghz model which comparable in price and performance with MacBook Pro models.

sunil, time to replace your iBook 800Mhz too

Nov '09 | iMac 21.5" C2D 3.06 Ghz | Intel 330 240GB SSD | ATI

Sep '12| Toshiba 14" 1366 x 768! | i5 3rd Gen 6GB| Intel x25-m 120GB SSD | Win 7|  Viewsonic VX2255wmb 22" LCD
iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

Reply

Nov '09 | iMac 21.5" C2D 3.06 Ghz | Intel 330 240GB SSD | ATI

Sep '12| Toshiba 14" 1366 x 768! | i5 3rd Gen 6GB| Intel x25-m 120GB SSD | Win 7|  Viewsonic VX2255wmb 22" LCD
iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

Reply
post #29 of 45
Quote:
Originally posted by shanmugam
time to up the Mac Mini as well ... atleast to 1.67 Ghz Core duos both ...

here wait time is 10 days ... hopefully i will touch one of the MacBooks and bring one of them to home too ...

awesome, except

1) they put atleast some model of 64MB/128MB (the feeling will be better even only few will gain the performace )
2) remove 2 x 256 and put one 512 ... so people can upgrade when they have $$$ (especially considering IG will take 64 to 80 MB RAM)

The mini uses a dual channel memory configuration, partly to offset the memory bandwidth used by the integrated graphics. Putting in a single memory card will probably slow it down. The mini is harder to get into now, upgrading the memory is more complicated than it was with the G4 units.
post #30 of 45
Originally posted by JeffDM
I think he was hoping Apple would offer them with faster chips like the MacBook Pro, not going inside an already bought unit and change the clocking.


Bingo. Intel iMac should be out the door as 2ghz 17" model, 2.16ghz 20" model. You know, for consistency
post #31 of 45
Originally posted by shanmugam
time to up the Mac Mini as well ... atleast to 1.67 Ghz Core duos both ...


That would be super


Originally posted by shanmugam
sunil, time to replace your iBook 800Mhz too


hey, it's a 933mhz iBook G4 okay, with 640mb ram and 32mb dedicated vram. plus i already have 5400rpm hard drive (modded in myself) my iBook G4 will be 3 years old this November. Plus my iBook G4 probably runs Photoshop, Macromedia, and Microsoft Office faster than your MacBooks!!! muah ahhahah haha hahahah hahah hah ... Plus my screen is glare-free
post #32 of 45
Originally posted by minderbinder
I'm sure they've made various tweaks....Making small adjustments doesn't count as a rev.


With the hardware tweaks and firmware updates, let's call them "mini-revs". Funny thing is, depending on the stock at the stores and dealers, you won't know which mini-rev MacBook Pro you'll be getting If one is serious on the MacBook Pro I'd wait about a month or two if I can so that the older "mini-revs" get cleared out of inventory and they fix things like the excessive thermal paste issue. And the whine issue. Waiting 1-2 months would give me more confidence in getting the MacBook Pro, if I needed one and I could wait.
post #33 of 45
Quote:
Originally posted by sunilraman
If one is serious on the MacBook Pro I'd wait about a month or two if I can so that the older "mini-revs" get cleared out of inventory and they fix things like the excessive thermal paste issue. And the whine issue. Waiting 1-2 months would give me more confidence in getting the MacBook Pro, if I needed one and I could wait.

If you bought one with the glossy screen option, you'd know you pretty much have the latest version. Doesn't Apple change the model number slightly with each speed bump?
post #34 of 45
Quote:
Originally posted by sunilraman
[i]hey, it's a 933mhz iBook G4 okay, with 640mb ram and 32mb dedicated vram. plus i already have 5400rpm hard drive (modded in myself) my iBook G4 will be 3 years old this November. Plus my iBook G4 probably runs Photoshop, Macromedia, and Microsoft Office faster than your MacBooks!!!

I heard a review where someone had one of the first 17" Powerbooks (1GHz G4) and the newest 17" MBP and with timed comparisons, he claims that even under Rosetta, pretty much everything was faster, even the Adobe apps.
post #35 of 45
Originally posted by JeffDM
If you bought one with the glossy screen option, you'd know you pretty much have the latest version.


Interesting theory... Makes sense. Do we know however if any of the "mini-revs" have fixed the thermal paste and whine issue?
post #36 of 45
Quote:
Originally posted by JeffDM
I heard a review where someone had one of the first 17" Powerbooks (1GHz G4) and the newest 17" MBP and with timed comparisons, he claims that even under Rosetta, pretty much everything was faster, even the Adobe apps.

I'd have to check back but that did not seem to be the case in Macworld (print) magazine.

1+ ghz PowerBooks were doing Photoshop actions twice as fast as MBPs IIRC.

Nonetheless in the MacBook Pros with 2ghz and 2.16ghz I think Rosetta is quite feasible now for Office/ Adobe/ Macromedia. Someone with a 2-3 year old PowerBook would probably find overall the new MacBook Pros quite usable for their pro work. Seems that Apple is dead set on throwing as much horsepower and sticking with Rosetta as a viable, workable, productive solution...
post #37 of 45
Quote:
Originally posted by sunilraman
I'd have to check back but that did not seem to be the case in Macworld (print) magazine.

1+ ghz PowerBooks were doing Photoshop actions twice as fast as MBPs IIRC.

Nonetheless in the MacBook Pros with 2ghz and 2.16ghz I think Rosetta is quite feasible now for Office/ Adobe/ Macromedia. Someone with a 2-3 year old PowerBook would probably find overall the new MacBook Pros quite usable for their pro work. Seems that Apple is dead set on throwing as much horsepower and sticking with Rosetta as a viable, workable, productive solution...

There are new tests by Macworld, I see they compared them against 1.67 Powerbooks and 1.42 iBooks, if you scale up the times for the slower chips, I think the claim I stated would be pretty reasonable. It seems to be a rough approximation to say that a 2.0GHz MB(P) under Rosetta would be about as fast as a 1GHz G4 with native code.

MacWorld 'Book test
post #38 of 45
Quote:
Originally posted by sunilraman
Originally posted by JeffDM
I think he was hoping Apple would offer them with faster chips like the MacBook Pro, not going inside an already bought unit and change the clocking.


Bingo. Intel iMac should be out the door as 2ghz 17" model, 2.16ghz 20" model. You know, for consistency

It's what I'm thinking. I was surprised they didn't upgrade that too.
post #39 of 45
Quote:
Originally posted by sunilraman
I'd have to check back but that did not seem to be the case in Macworld (print) magazine.

1+ ghz PowerBooks were doing Photoshop actions twice as fast as MBPs IIRC.

Nonetheless in the MacBook Pros with 2ghz and 2.16ghz I think Rosetta is quite feasible now for Office/ Adobe/ Macromedia. Someone with a 2-3 year old PowerBook would probably find overall the new MacBook Pros quite usable for their pro work. Seems that Apple is dead set on throwing as much horsepower and sticking with Rosetta as a viable, workable, productive solution...

It looks, from the Macworld tests that the MB's, and MBP'd are about 55% as fast, possibly, with the fastest machine, about 60%.

Not too bad, actually. but, that is compared to a PB, and iB, which weren't exactly speed demons.
post #40 of 45
Quote:
Originally posted by JeffDM
There are new tests by Macworld, I see they compared them against 1.67 Powerbooks and 1.42 iBooks, if you scale up the times for the slower chips, I think the claim I stated would be pretty reasonable. It seems to be a rough approximation to say that a 2.0GHz MB(P) under Rosetta would be about as fast as a 1GHz G4 with native code.

MacWorld 'Book test

They should do those tests. It would help those with older machines to make up their minds.

But, I think a lot of people concerned with speed will wait for Merom.

What we don't really know, is how Intel has measured the speed of the Merom to that of the Yonah. We can assume. They said that Merom will be 20% faster with the same power level. But, are they talking GHz to GHz, or are they assuming a 2.65GHz Merom vs a 2.33, or even a 2.16 Yonah? Or even a 2.33 Merom!

I would hope that it's even on the speed. That would give us the best hope. If a 2.16 Merom is 20% faster, then a 2.65 Merom should be even faster, by another 23%!!!

That overly optimistic hope would put Rosetta close to a par with what the fastest PB does. The iMac would be 5% or so faster still. Not too bad, really.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple updates MacBook Pro line with faster chips