or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Up close and personal with Apple's MacBook (photos)

Up close and personal with Apple's MacBook (photos)

post #1 of 96
Apple Computer on Tuesday unveiled its newly designed MacBook consumer notebook, which features Intel Core Duo processors and a new 13-inch glossy widescreen display, elegantly wrapped in a sleek industrial design reminiscent of the company's existing professional line of MacBook Pro notebooks.

Together with the 15-and 17-inch MacBook Pros, the new MacBook completes Apple's Intel-based portables lineup replacing both the iBook and the 12-inch PowerBook.

A tipster who swung by an Apple retail store in Chicago was able to snap some of the first detailed photos of the black high-end model. The images show close-ups of the notebook's glossy widescreen display, keyboard, built-in iSight, track pad, infrared port and completely magnetic latching system. (Thanks Branislav Milic.)

MacBooks available at most Apple stores

Based on a series of brief checks, it appears that Apple began drop-shipping the new MacBooks late Monday evening to its retail locations across the United States. Several retail locations contacted by AppleInsider claimed to have stock of the new notebooks. While the average Apple stores appears to have received a handful of the computers, the company's flagship retail stores reported significantly larger stock of the notebooks.

Unlike the 15-inch MacBook Pro, which did not make its way into stores until about eight weeks after it was first announced, Apple is able to offer immediate availability of the new MacBook because it ramped manufacturing of the notebooks for a full two weeks before they were announced.

The Apple Online store is currently listing wait times of 1 to 5 business days for the white MacBook models and 3 to 7 business days for the black model. By comparison, the professional 15-inch MacBook Pro carried wait times of up to 6 weeks immediately after it was announced.

Read more on the MacBook's user-replaceable hard disk drives, heat-staked feet and innovative RAM slots.
post #2 of 96
Interesting that the letters on the keyboard are centered within each key rather than placed on the lower left corner of each key. Anyone else notice this?
post #3 of 96
Hey, Chiclets-style keys! I haven't seen those since the original keyboard for the IBM PCjr.
post #4 of 96
I'm curious what the hold of the magnetic "latching" is like. How well does it hold OR how easy is it to accidentally bump it open?
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
post #5 of 96
I can't even reach some of the Apple stores near me, says they aren't taking calls
Strange...
post #6 of 96
Flat keys on the keyboard? This is not a very promising development. Keys are curved so you can quickly tell what your positioning on the keyboard is, along with the raised "Braille" dots on the "F" and "J" keys. Curved is better, dammit.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #7 of 96
Thank you Jesus!!! Apple went with "Matt" Black. Thank you!!!
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #8 of 96
Great Job Branislav Milic. Can someone say what that other thing is next to the infrared sensor on the front right close up?

Six x 3.5GHz '14 MP, 64GB, 1TB PCIe, 16TB HDs
2.6GHz 6GB 17"HD LED MBP, Sony 52XBR6 HDTV
EyeTV 500, Hybrid 2G, EyeTV 3 HDTV Recorder
64 ATT iPhone 5S, 128 ATT iPad Air, 128 ATT iPad miniRetina, 16...

Six x 3.5GHz '14 MP, 64GB, 1TB PCIe, 16TB HDs
2.6GHz 6GB 17"HD LED MBP, Sony 52XBR6 HDTV
EyeTV 500, Hybrid 2G, EyeTV 3 HDTV Recorder
64 ATT iPhone 5S, 128 ATT iPad Air, 128 ATT iPad miniRetina, 16...

post #9 of 96
Apple store Burlington only has Black Macbooks in stock, wow that's odd...
post #10 of 96
Those pictures aren't loading for me...

edit: never mind, just needed to empty the browser cache
Proud member of AppleInsider since before the World Wide Web existed.
Proud member of AppleInsider since before the World Wide Web existed.
post #11 of 96
Quote:
Originally posted by SpamSandwich
Flat keys on the keyboard? This is not a very promising development. Keys are curved so you can quickly tell what your positioning on the keyboard is, along with the raised "Braille" dots on the "F" and "J" keys. Curved is better, dammit.

I don't see it being that big of a deal. They're flush with the computer, not completely flat. There's still a relief there so you can type by feel.
post #12 of 96
Have they stolen the keyboard design from Sinclair QL?

Picture: http://www.silicium.org/images/catal...inclair/ql.jpg

Not really, but almost God, I miss my wonderful QL...
post #13 of 96
Quote:
Originally posted by gloss
I don't see it being that big of a deal. They're flush with the computer, not completely flat. There's still a relief there so you can type by feel.

I'll get to a store immediately to see for myself...

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #14 of 96
Quote:
Originally posted by solsun
Interesting that the letters on the keyboard are centered within each key rather than placed on the lower left corner of each key. Anyone else notice this?

My 2004 iBook G4 is that way too.
A friend will help you move, but a REAL FRIEND will help you move a body.
A friend will help you move, but a REAL FRIEND will help you move a body.
post #15 of 96
I've had a sony TR-series notebook for the last few years that also has flat keys. I love the keyboard on it, and also the XBRITE glossy screen. The fact that the new MacBook has those two things, plus running boot camp, makes it my next laptop!
post #16 of 96
woohay, as soon as there in ireland im buying one, white of course but now to get rid of my ibook g4 at a high price before anyone knows about this
--StephenC_IRL
--StephenC_IRL
post #17 of 96
Quote:
Originally posted by McHuman
I've had a sony TR-series notebook for the last few years that also has flat keys. I love the keyboard on it, and also the XBRITE glossy screen. The fact that the new MacBook has those two things, plus running boot camp, makes it my next laptop!

Do you really like those reflective displays? I'm not saying I hate them all, but I certainly haven't seen one I liked...yet...
====
"The Matrix is here, and it's vegan-friendly." (TM) 2004, Trinity Life Systems
====
post #18 of 96
Where are the photos?

Edit: Nevermind =)
post #19 of 96
Beautiful design. Lots of very subtle cues. Want one.
post #20 of 96
Quote:
Originally posted by concentricity
Do you really like those reflective displays? I'm not saying I hate them all, but I certainly haven't seen one I liked...yet...

Do you only see them in stores, where all of the flourescent lights are reflected in them? At home they have superior contrast, black density, and color saturation. This is because they remove one of the film filters to make the screen brighter, at a cost of additional glare.

If you do professional color work, it is VERY worth the extra glare, which you don't get at home anyway, or at night in the dark.
post #21 of 96
Quote:

Maybe we're seeing the direction the new iPhone will take...flat keys, glossy screen... lip-reading-to-text option...

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #22 of 96
Nice pictures!
post #23 of 96
The Guardian asked apple why do the Black MacBooks cost more?

Apple answered: "The 2.0 GHz black MacBook is our most advanced notebook ever and deserves something special, and we think it looks stunning in black."

They dont care cause they're going to fly out the doors anyway!! The black one looks exceptional
post #24 of 96
Using Safari. The pictures do not load.

???
Thanks.
post #25 of 96
Quote:
Originally posted by hledgard
Using Safari. The pictures do not load.

???
Thanks.

They're fine for me. Maybe you need a new MacBook? /sar
post #26 of 96
Is the outer case glossy like the current iBooks?
post #27 of 96
Quote:
Originally posted by Nine-Seventy
Is the outer case glossy like the current iBooks?

No, matte. Which looks better
post #28 of 96
Ok, here are my questions about the new MacBooks

1) How is the keyboard?
1a) Does the keyboard flip up, or is it "integrated" into the top?
2) Where are the speakers?
3) Where are the RAM slots?
4) How bad is the glare off the display?
5) Why is the Black model $200 more? (the bump from 60GB to 80GB certainly doesn't justify it)

And my comments...

Glad to see the proc specs are fairly high. I had some serious doubts about Apple going all Duo and keeping the price points in the right ballpark, especially after the Mini introduction. And although some people will complain about GMA950 graphics, I think it's one of the tradeoffs that was required to keep the price down. That said, I think Apple would be crazy not to offer a CTO discrete video option, if at all possible.

Also, the mini-DVI is a minor, but really important inclusion for those that use it.

Obviously, with three (two, really) models in the MacBook lineup not everyone is going to fall in love, but I think this is a really good baseline to work from, and at competetive price points.
====
====
post #29 of 96
Quote:
Originally posted by Ireland
No, matt. Which looks better

just because I've seen it a couple of times already, it's matte, not matt. I normally don't bother with trivial mispellings or usage issues, but it will only make things confusing if people think you're responding to someone named Matt...
====
====
post #30 of 96
Quote:
Originally posted by Ireland
No, matt. Which looks better

Hmm, not so sure. If its like the inside of the current iBooks then thats not so good imo.
post #31 of 96

1) How is the keyboard? Looks okay to me but lets ask. "Hey keyboard! How are you? - Fine Steve, just fine!"
1a) Does the keyboard flip up, or is it "integrated" into the top? Flip? Did we just join the circus? Doesn't look like it and it's not stated anywhere that it does.
2) Where are the speakers? In there, somewhere.
3) Where are the RAM slots? I'm sure there inside somewhere too.
4) How bad is the glare off the display? I dunno. Go check one out.
5) Why is the Black model $200 more? (the bump from 60GB to 80GB certainly doesn't justify it) Just because it's cool and that is only why. Marketing my friend, marketing.
post #32 of 96
Quote:
Originally posted by McHuman
Do you only see them in stores, where all of the flourescent lights are reflected in them? At home they have superior contrast, black density, and color saturation. This is because they remove one of the film filters to make the screen brighter, at a cost of additional glare.

If you do professional color work, it is VERY worth the extra glare, which you don't get at home anyway, or at night in the dark.

No, I've worked in IT for years and come across the occasional "glossy" display, usually on Vaios I think. That said, I've never owned one, or taken it home for using "at night in the dark". It just seems a little odd to me, since photo/design professionals are the ones that always used to demand CRT hoods for keeping out all ambient light and glare.

I guess I'll have to spend some time with one and find out. I wonder if Apple will reconsider their retail lighting now?
====
====
post #33 of 96
the statement "MacBooks available at most Apple stores" might be true, but the Flagship store in Phoenix at the Apple Biltmore has ZERO stock and no idea when they will get any.

Ordering from within the store is according to the apple geek priority but my status is showing (stock 1099 model):

Estimated Ship Date
May 23, 2006 \t
Estimated Arrival Date
May 26, 2006
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
post #34 of 96
Quote:
Originally posted by crees!

1) How is the keyboard? Looks okay to me but lets ask. "Hey keyboard! How are you? - Fine Steve, just fine!"
1a) Does the keyboard flip up, or is it "integrated" into the top? Flip? Did we just join the circus? Doesn't look like it and it's not stated anywhere that it does.
5) Why is the Black model $200 more? (the bump from 60GB to 80GB certainly doesn't justify it) Just because it's cool and that is only why. Marketing my friend, marketing.

funny, funny stuff.
====
====
post #35 of 96
Quote:

Um, the answers were humorous and all and that's great, but his question regarding the keyboard "flipping up" was a good one.

The iBook keyboard had to be flipped up/out to install airport/memory while the 12" PowerBook was not. The 12" PowerBook keyboard had a superior feel to the iBook keyboard.

I'll probably be popping by the local Apple store at lunchtime to check these things out.
Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
post #36 of 96
Quote:
Originally posted by Patrik_L
Have they stolen the keyboard design from Sinclair QL?

Picture: http://www.silicium.org/images/catal...inclair/ql.jpg

Not really, but almost God, I miss my wonderful QL...

More like a Z88 as I mentioned in the other thread.

A rubber membrane around the keys would be nice. And Silent typing like the Z88.
post #37 of 96
Quote:
just because I've seen it a couple of times already, it's matte, not matt. I normally don't bother with trivial mispellings or usage issues, but it will only make things confusing if people think you're responding to someone named Matt...

You can use either according to the built in Apple dictionary.
post #38 of 96
Quote:

What a dick.
post #39 of 96
Anybody know if it can be used in lid-closed mode (like the 12" PB)?
OK, can I have my matte Apple display, now?
OK, can I have my matte Apple display, now?
post #40 of 96
The way the keys look, they almost remind me of the keyboard that shipped with the Apple IIGS. Or the IBM PC Jr. While I'm not crazy about the way the keyboard looks, I will have to try it before I pass judgement. Aside from that, I like the black. Reminds me of my old WallStreet. RIP *sniff*
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Up close and personal with Apple's MacBook (photos)