or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › What's up with the glossy Macbook screen?

What's up with the glossy Macbook screen?

post #1 of 76
This seems like a step backward, why would anybody want the extra glare and distraction? Is it so it can be wiped clean more easily?

I don't get it.
post #2 of 76
Quote:
Originally posted by Placebo
This seems like a step backward, why would anybody want the extra glare and distraction? Is it so it can be wiped clean more easily?

I don't get it.

Maybe it's cheaper? I dunno the thing only cost like 1K. I'm surprised it's as good as it is. Now begins the wait for a black Pro. I know Sony and some other companies market it as their own with different names for "glare reduction".
post #3 of 76
It's teh sexy.

Makes my pictures look like photos.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #4 of 76
This is potentially a problem for me too. I was going to buy, but now I feel I have to see one, and this is not easy.
post #5 of 76
I believe you have a choice between glossy and matte screens. No extra costs either way. Choice is good.
post #6 of 76
Quote:
Originally posted by hledgard
This is potentially a problem for me too. I was going to buy, but now I feel I have to see one, and this is not easy.

yeah..i went to the local Apple retailer (Baillos in Santa Fe) and of course they didn't have one...freaking 1-2 weeks...i hate being out in the middle of nowhere. I ***HAVE*** to see it before I lay any money down.
jtblq = jetblack in Ascarian
jtblq = jetblack in Ascarian
post #7 of 76
Quote:
Originally posted by satchmo
I believe you have a choice between glossy and matte screens. No extra costs either way. Choice is good.

I think they're all glossy, no choice.
post #8 of 76
Yeah.
post #9 of 76
Quote:
Originally posted by satchmo

Unfortunately, that's only with the MacBook Pro. The MacBooks have glossy screens, no choice about it.

In response to the original poster, glossy screens are very popular in the "PC" world. Presumably because they look cool. They increase colour saturation, contrast and perceived sharpness, in exchange for increased glare. They are therefore pretty cool for showing off photos or watching movies. Personally, I prefer a matte screen, but it seems that the majority of the market disagrees. It would be lovely if Apple offered the option, but perhaps the 13" screens they are using only come in the glossy flavour?
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
post #10 of 76
I'm sure people have seen the MacBook up close, by now... So how is the screen? Is there considerably more glare for the MacBook than the matte MBP?
"In Xanadu did Kubla Kahn a stately pleasure-dome decree."
"In Xanadu did Kubla Kahn a stately pleasure-dome decree."
post #11 of 76
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. H
It would be lovely if Apple offered the option, but perhaps the 13" screens they are using only come in the glossy flavour?

No, I think they're matte screens covered with plastic. Most PC screens are; they're matte underneath.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
post #12 of 76
Quote:
No, I think they're matte screens covered with plastic. Most PC screens are; they're matte underneath.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Its like a coating they spray on/stick on/whatever.
post #13 of 76
Quote:
Originally posted by spyder
Its like a coating they spray on/stick on/whatever.

I suspect this is true. The question is: who sprays on the coating? The screen manufacturer or Apple?

Thinking about it, even if it's the screen manufacturer, you would have thought Apple will be buying enough to ask them to supply some without the coating.
post #14 of 76
Quote:

Correct me if I'm wrong.

You're wrong. If you are in the position to buy a bunch of LCD's, you'll find that it's not at all a pure OEM industry. In other words, there are a lot of value added services. In other other words, if you're buying large enough quantities you can specify the way you want the backlight installed, the reflector (if you want a reflector), the interface, the actual glass (i.e. silicon), the polarization, and the plastic lamiinate. The plastic laminate goes straight on top of the glass & liquid crystals.

Apple should have no problem specifying the exact type of plastic used for the laminate, the thickness, the AR coating. . . everything.
Cat: the other white meat
Cat: the other white meat
post #15 of 76
Quote:
I don't get it.

This makes perfect sense to me.

If one goes into a store and looks at an iBook or a MacBook for that matter, the glossy Toshibas, Sonys, etc right next to them just look so new, shiny, and so very "neato!," as I have heard. I surmise that deep inside the consciousness of the consumer the matte screen is considered "old" and "outdated." As well, I relate this very similarly to the deer in the headlight syndrome--the practicality is lost to the "wow! factor." And I'd put money on the "wow! factor" 9 times out 10 when dealing with entry level computer buyers..

Also, again, I don't have the focus group or marketing data to back this up, but I bet the closer Apple gets to matching the specs of similarly priced entry level laptops, while surpassing them on non specable things such as look and feel, they are predicting they will have exponentially greater sales..
post #16 of 76
Jeez LGnome is right. It'll please all the stupidass switchers, and PISS OFF all the Mac users that want a nice but small laptop. Good thing they don't have a 12" MacBook Pro..

I was going to buy this thing after a month or two of logic board bug-killing revs. Now...I just don't know. Perhaps they'll fix this? I'll wait and see.
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
post #17 of 76
I seems to me that this should be similar to the old days of CRTs. They were glass too and in some circumstances displayed quite a lot of glare. The differens is that the displays of yore were supposed to sit in offices everywhere where the lighting conditions could be adjusted to work well with the displays, whereas these MacBooks are supposed to be used everywhere, including outside, where direct sunlight can be a real problem.
post #18 of 76
buddy of mine came over tonight who bought the first black macbook from the santa monica store. i have to say the glossy screen didn't seem that bad at all. certainly not compared to some pc laptops i've seen. of course most of the other glossy screen laptops i've fooled with were in best buy. but i'm sure there's a way to control just how glossy the screen is. i found his screen to be quite nice. i'm not sure if i'd opt for it personally on a mbp, but it wasn't bad at all.
post #19 of 76
Well, the nice thing is the screen is so freakin' bright, I doubt the glare is noticeable. And like a previous poster said, it increases colour saturation and contrast ratio, making your computer screen more 'lickable'...
post #20 of 76
Lickable or not, I'm going for a matte Macbook Pro. I'm going to use it outside once in a while and maybe I'm just a bit old fashion.

What about looking a the glossy screen for hours at a time. Will the eyes get more "tired", or is there no difference?

Any thoughts?

Soeren
Soeren Rasmussen
Soeren Rasmussen
post #21 of 76
I picked up a MacBook yesterday and was using it indoors from mid-afternoon through the evening.

Straight-on, glare is no worse than any CRT I've used. From angles (people trying to watch the screen) it can be a little more distracting.

The saturation and black level is very, very nice. It's a fair trade-off for me, but I agree that it would have been nice if they'd made it an option.
post #22 of 76
If one does not like the glossy effect, is there any way one can one mute the effect to give the matte finish?
post #23 of 76
Quote:
If one does not like the glossy effect, is there any way one can one mute the effect to give the matte finish?

run it up and down this baby a few times:

:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
post #24 of 76
Quote:
Originally posted by sandau

You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
post #25 of 76
My local Apple Store (Third Street Promenade in Santa Monica) got a shipment and opened one up and put it on the floor immediately, before adding the floor demo tidbits and all. It was pretty popular, and a lot of people asked about this, to which the Apple Rep mentioned something about it making the screen seem larger or just generally more useable when compared to the 15" MBP, or something along that vein. For what it's worth.
post #26 of 76
Quote:

Perhaps some sort of matte coating. I also remember the security coating that could be applied to PDAs that would let only the person sitting directly in front of it see the screen. perhaps something in that vein...If there's a market demand for it it will surely exist.

IMHO, the glossy screens just don't work. My uncle bought an Acer laptop with a glossy screen. The screen was completely unreadable when we sat near a window even though it was cloudy outside.
My computer can beat up your computer.
post #27 of 76
How about color accuracy [for graphic designers/video editors] with the glossy screens?
post #28 of 76
What kind of graphics designers use a 13" widescreen laptop geared towards students?
post #29 of 76
Quote:
Originally posted by mynamehere
Perhaps some sort of matte coating. I also remember the security coating that could be applied to PDAs that would let only the person sitting directly in front of it see the screen. perhaps something in that vein...If there's a market demand for it it will surely exist.

IMHO, the glossy screens just don't work. My uncle bought an Acer laptop with a glossy screen. The screen was completely unreadable when we sat near a window even though it was cloudy outside.

I haven't had any issues with the glossiness so far, but I know there are matte plastic overlays you can purchase that essentially nix it.
post #30 of 76
I am also very wary of this whole gloss display issue. Everything is going for the mac book pro IMO, size, & specs seem perfect for what I want and need. However the gloss screen really does make me hesitate to buy my first laptop though. I want to be able to do digital painting and the likes, maybe even do some 3d modeling from life. However, if this notebook has glare/reflection problems, this notebook will be out of the picture as far as I'm concerned, and that would be a real shame. I'm most concerned about being able to use graphic programs as well, programs such as Photoshop, Corel Painter, possibly Luxology Modo and Autodesk Maya. Meh. Guess I just need to see it for myself. Another question, is the embeded intel gfx card ok for such uses? It's kind of funny when I think about it since the MBP has an ass kicking ati card in it- underclocked 30% for battary life reasons.
-adam.
-adam.
post #31 of 76
I find the glossy screen works very well. It was actually great out in the sun yesterday.
post #32 of 76
Yeah? I still need to see it in person with my own eyes. My parents have a recent fujitsu lifebook with glossy display, it's terrible outside. The colors are also inaccurate. I've posted something online only to see what it looked like on my desktop (on a decent 21" NEC CRT monitor) it just looked wrong. I'm glad to hear some of you are finding it to be allright in the sun but somehow I'm still skeptical as to how that's possible! Regardless, I need to see if the mac book can take what I want to throw at it anyways. I suppose I wouldnt be able to take the laptop outside, or try out a MB with 2 gig memory installed though. It does seem like the sweetest deal currently. Hmm, first things first though, I gotta lay my eyes/ hands on the thing before coming to a decision.
-adam.
-adam.
post #33 of 76
I'm in the apple store at present - getting my MBP 17"

Using the MB as I type - have to say, the screen is a mixed blessing - the colours & text look great, but there is alot more reflections on the screen which are irritating.

Pros & cons to both really - don't think the screen would deter me if everything else was to my requirements though
post #34 of 76
Quote:
Originally posted by LGnome
This makes perfect sense to me.

If one goes into a store and looks at an iBook or a MacBook for that matter, the glossy Toshibas, Sonys, etc right next to them just look so new, shiny, and so very "neato!," as I have heard. I surmise that deep inside the consciousness of the consumer the matte screen is considered "old" and "outdated." As well, I relate this very similarly to the deer in the headlight syndrome--the practicality is lost to the "wow! factor." And I'd put money on the "wow! factor" 9 times out 10 when dealing with entry level computer buyers..

Also, again, I don't have the focus group or marketing data to back this up, but I bet the closer Apple gets to matching the specs of similarly priced entry level laptops, while surpassing them on non specable things such as look and feel, they are predicting they will have exponentially greater sales..

I agree. When you see a glossy screen next to a matte one, it stands out a mile. Over the past year or two, I've walked into PC stores and been immediately attracted to the Sony Vaios with the glossy displays with high contrast and beautiful colour reproduction. They are so much better for viewing media. Then returning home to use my washed out, dim powerbook display praying Apple would make their displays nicer. Finally the time comes.
post #35 of 76
I would love to know how often any of you have actually used a laptop outside in the afternoon sun?

What are you all doing, going on long walks with powerbooks and having picknics with it?

Everytime I take a notebook anywhere with me it's to take with me into another controlled lighting environment.

If I'm going to be outside, outside (walks, picknics, on the beach etc) I'm doing so with a woman, not a computer.

I think almost everyone is over exagerating this (probably most of you have never even seen the screen) the macbook's screen looks great, I don't live in an apple store, where I live, work, take my notebook etc isn't out in the sun or in a flourecent retail location.
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
post #36 of 76
Quote:
What kind of graphics designers use a 13" widescreen laptop geared towards students?

student graphic designers.
post #37 of 76
Quote:
Originally posted by sandau

ARE YOU FUCKING NUTS!!?? Running it over that thing just >>ONCE<< should do the trick!
post #38 of 76
I spent some time in my local Apple Store walking back and forth between the MBs and the MBPs. I have to say the glossy screen looks great. It is just so vibrant and I can't see the glare being a big problem (once again, controlled envionment). Actually the dullness of the matte finished laptops has always bothered me, and if I ever get a MBP I'm going to go for the glossy screen.
post #39 of 76
Quote:
Originally posted by ecking
If I'm going to be outside, outside (walks, picknics, on the beach etc) I'm doing so with a woman, not a computer.

And what is this "woman" you speak of, and what are the specs?

post #40 of 76
Quote:
Originally posted by ecking
I would love to know how often any of you have actually used a laptop outside in the afternoon sun.

Yesterday. And that's not me being cute, I'm serious--while I can definitely understand the "being outside with a woman" approach to things, sometimes it's nice to type a college paper in a cool breeze and cloudless sky.
20" iMac Core Duo
15" MacBook Pro
20" iMac Core Duo
15" MacBook Pro
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › What's up with the glossy Macbook screen?