or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › What's up with the glossy Macbook screen?

What's up with the glossy Macbook screen? - Page 2

post #41 of 76
Quote:
Originally posted by mynamehere
And what is this "woman" you speak of, and what are the specs?

Yeah, is she a PC or a Mac?

PC woman: complicated interface, kinda ugly, nagging messages flying at you all the time, it's not clear which buttons you're supposed to be pressing, performs dull processes, someone you just picked because everyone else had one

Mac woman: stylish, sexy, easy-going, does fun stuff, always ready to help you out, firewire port at the back she encourages you to use
post #42 of 76
Quote:
Mac woman: stylish, sexy, easy-going, does fun stuff, always ready to help you out, firewire port at the back she encourages you to use

Higher initial investment but low maintenance.
--Johnny
--Johnny
post #43 of 76
I've been using a MB for a day now and the screen is fantastic. Better than the glossy screens which come on Dells and vastly superior than the PB 12" it replaces. It's quite amazing really: when I finished transferring all the setting from the PB, I was in disbelief at the differences in brightness and color between the two screens. They both had the same desktop picture, but the MacBook's color was bright and saturated.
post #44 of 76
Quote:
Originally posted by Marvin
firewire port at the back she encourages you to use

all have to say to that (besides what i am writing) is "OY"
-Justin Winokur

15" Core i7 MacBook Pro, (circa July 2010)
-Justin Winokur

post #45 of 76
Quote:
Originally posted by Jwink3101
all have to say to that (besides what i am writing) is "OY"

Yeah, it's pretty hot.
My computer can beat up your computer.
My computer can beat up your computer.
post #46 of 76
Wow, grow up, people.
post #47 of 76
Quote:
Originally posted by k squared
I've been using a MB for a day now and the screen is fantastic. Better than the glossy screens which come on Dells and vastly superior than the PB 12" it replaces. It's quite amazing really: when I finished transferring all the setting from the PB, I was in disbelief at the differences in brightness and color between the two screens. They both had the same desktop picture, but the MacBook's color was bright and saturated.

I'm glad you like your MacBook screen. I just got back from the Apple Store and my first hands-on with the MacBook. I have to say that going in (I am going to order a MB Pro) I thought I would get a glossy screen. After doing various tests on the MBP and the MB in the store, I really came to dislike the glossy screen.

It is really a subjective matter I've found, so I would encourage anyone to put it through some tests first. In the apple store, at least you can pick up the laptops (err, notebooks) and tilt them around a bit to test various conditions. There was one angle I could make the MacBook screen incredible to look at. The rest of the time, I could see what was going on around me.

Conversely, I thought the matte screen of the "updated" MBP models looked superior...

Just my opinion.
post #48 of 76
I've seen a couple of other reports that the glossy screen actually makes outdoor use better, not worse (I'm guessing this is dependent on not having the sun directly over your shoulder.

The idea seem to be the the screen reflects the light hitting it, meaning less light to reduce contrast and wash out the image.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #49 of 76
Quote:

PC woman: complicated interface, kinda ugly, nagging messages flying at you all the time, it's not clear which buttons you're supposed to be pressing, performs dull processes, someone you just picked because everyone else had one

Oh I can say without thought that she's a mac

Sometimes she says: "Do I look like I'm using boot camp today? Do I look like a PC?"

But you know that when they ask that you always gotta say no.
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
post #50 of 76
WWDC cometh!

Apple probably didnt want a small pro notebook taking any thunder from the macbook fanfair; this is a great WWDC potential...

"well, those aer the new Mac Towers, and one more thing; you pros have been saying you love the Macbook formfactor, but need pro features; well, here it is; 13.3 inch MBP, iSight, remote thingy -- x800 or downclocked x1600 GPU, core duo, same RAM /HDD setup as the Macbooks, Macbookpro style keyboard, your choice of aluminum or Black acrylic enclosures and coice of screen...$1499...also, choice of screen accross the macBook line"
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
post #51 of 76
Quote:
[B]Mac woman: stylish, sexy, easy-going, does fun stuff, always ready to help you out, firewire port at the back she encourages you to use

...and Bonjure(sp?) so she will talk to, and connect with any passer by! She could just be innocently sharing music, or maybe she is showing off photos of you...Or maybe she is sharing her widgets with someone other than you!

That Mac is a hussy I tells ya! A HUSSY!
post #52 of 76
The glossy screen is a step up from the previous iBook screen.
post #53 of 76
I've been using my Macbook next to a Dell notebook. The picture on the Macbook is a lot sharper. To me it looks significantly better, though it's not the sort of thing I'm going to start a holy war over.
Brevity is the soul of wit...
Brevity is the soul of wit...
post #54 of 76
I love my BlackBook's glossy screen!
post #55 of 76
Quote:
Originally posted by Placebo
This seems like a step backward, why would anybody want the extra glare and distraction? Is it so it can be wiped clean more easily?

I don't get it.

Well *I* don't find it a problem at all on my 1.83 Macbook. I LOVE it!
"My best advice to anyone who wants to raise a happy, mentally healthy child is: Keep him or her as far away from a church as you can." - Frank Zappa
"My best advice to anyone who wants to raise a happy, mentally healthy child is: Keep him or her as far away from a church as you can." - Frank Zappa
post #56 of 76
Quote:
Originally posted by Tommyr
Well *I* don't find it a problem at all on my 1.83 Macbook. I LOVE it!

Indeed.
post #57 of 76
I went to the apple store today to take a look at the macbooks. Honestly, i was more intrigued by the new keyboard design rather than the glossy screen. I was talking to an employee and i asked if people have commented on the keyboard. He said no, usually people comment on the screen.

Only then did i remember that the screen was glossy. It's not that i am not observant at all, it is just that the screen is not that big of a deal.

On a side note, a cool feature (in my book) of the MacBook over the ibooks, old powerbooks, and i assume the MBP is that there are no longer rubber studs to lift the book. Now it is part of the case. I know that the rubber studs on my 12" drove me nuts.
-Justin Winokur

-Justin Winokur

post #58 of 76
I thought I was going to hate the glossy screen. The thought of it almost kept me from buying a MacBook, which I got online, sight unseen. I've had it for nearly a week now. The screen is very sharp with great contrast. Since I use it at home with no lighting behind me, there's no glare. I like it a lot.

That said, if this MacBook was in my office where there is lots of overhead light, I don't think I'd like the glossy screen. I also wouldn't want a glossy Cinema Display as I'm more likely to be viewing it from various angles. (Apple, you listening? Don't even think of making the Cinemas glossy.)
post #59 of 76
Quote:
Originally posted by Placebo
What kind of graphics designers use a 13" widescreen laptop geared towards students?

A true graphic designer will be able to his job on a matchbox as well as on an SGI workstation, so Macbook should certainly be plenty.
post #60 of 76
Quote:
Originally posted by iDave
That said, if this MacBook was in my office where there is lots of overhead light, I don't think I'd like the glossy screen. I also wouldn't want a glossy Cinema Display as I'm more likely to be viewing it from various angles. (Apple, you listening? Don't even think of making the Cinemas glossy.)

Actually, I've used it all over the place (in the office, in a naturally-lit home, at night, etc.) and never really experienced this horrific glare everyone talks about. I even used it at my desk at home, and the glare from my 21-inch CRT is far and away more severe.
post #61 of 76
Quote:
Originally posted by gloss
Actually, I've used it all over the place (in the office, in a naturally-lit home, at night, etc.) and never really experienced this horrific glare everyone talks about. I even used it at my desk at home, and the glare from my 21-inch CRT is far and away more severe.

Because it's rubish. You see it when it's off, or when you stand off to the side. Anybody who owns one knows that the screen is fanstastic and, in fact, works very well in the sunshine.
post #62 of 76
The screen is fabulous. Any issues I had with 'glare' are moot.

I've used it for over a week now and anywhere i've used my MacBook its been the best laptop screen bar none. Its so bright and crisp it makes the old iBook (and powerbooks) look like some dim old junk. Anyone using those screens needs about 20 minutes with one of these to be sold on it.
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
post #63 of 76
Seems like screens could be bright with good contrast and still have an anti-reflective coating. Maybe not. I'd whine big time if my HDTV or my Cinema Display had a glossy surface.
post #64 of 76
Quote:
Seems like screens could be bright with good contrast and still have an anti-reflective coating. Maybe not. I'd whine big time if my HDTV or my Cinema Display had a glossy surface.

Um...TVs generally do have a reflective surface.
post #65 of 76
Well today I did it!!

I went into an Apple Dealer and had my first look at the new macbook. They look fantastic on the Apple Site and wanted to see one in the flesh.

Oh dear...the screen..the reflections..terrible. If you use the machine at home with reasonable ambient light the screen will look amazing but get a few light sources shining above and its a pain to see through the glare. I wanted a macbook for keynote presentations to potential business clients, but with office lighting i can see it being potentially embarassing. I think students are going to find the same problem in well lit classrooms.

Also noted that the white touchpad had a nicer feel than the black one. The white had a nice texture the black one smooth (and there was a grease patch on the black).

Screen apart I would buy one tomorrow and it would be the white basic model, black looks nice but i dont think its worth the money.

Please Apple give the option of anti glare screen.
post #66 of 76
Quote:
Originally posted by netdog
Um...TVs generally do have a reflective surface.

Not the ones I've seen or the one I have. (Note, I said HDTV.)
post #67 of 76
Quote:

might have previously considered myself a "mac woman" due to preference in computers... but, hey, that works too.

i've a sexy, new, glossy (yeah, that's right) macbook pro on the way, and i cannot stop salivating.
i tortured myself, for a long time, with indecision.
to glossify or not to glossify...

in the end, i chose glossy for a few simple reasons:
-1- the colors are brighter and more crisp, clear, intense, and saturated. (no more grayed tones or muted colors!!)
-2- i, oddly enough, find that it is most effective to use my laptop in my lap or in front of me on a desk, where i am actually looking straight at it. i know... it's kind of a crazy, whacky concept (to those of you who seem to be very concerned with the reflection produced during side-viewing), but hey... it works for me. :thumbsup:
-3- i will, primarily, be using it in my home (the batcave) and in other environments where i can control the lighting.
-4- i have found several sources offering protective, non-glare films for little cost... including some non-adhesive ones that can be removed and slapped back on with no harm to the film or screen. so if glare ever presents a problem (say, in the event that i do feel the desire to take this sexy piece of machinery out, on a romantic excursion, to bask in the sun), i have the option of eliminating glare.
thus, i will be able to benefit from the advantages that both glossy and matte provide.

john siracusa and the like can masturbate their egos, by calling me an idiot, untill they chafe. :P
i am really not concerned with their opinion on the matter.
post #68 of 76
Wow, you're the first I've heard of who has actually chosen glossy for a pro. Good for you. Enjoy.

One very good thing about Apple offering it...they should be able to gauge people's preference. This should give them direction on what to do with future MacBooks. If the choice if split pretty evenly, perhaps they'll offer both options on various models.
post #69 of 76
Or they could spend $25 million in R&D developing a transparent substance that becomes glossy when an electric charge is run across it, and our resulting $8,000 Macbook Pros will have the best of both worlds.
post #70 of 76
I really enjoy the glossy screen on my macbook that im using right now
post #71 of 76
Quote:
Wow, you're the first I've heard of who has actually chosen glossy for a pro.

yeah, i'm a real freak of nature.
everywhere i go, people point and stare.

Quote:
Good for you. Enjoy.

why, thank you...

i think i will.

Quote:
One very good thing about Apple offering it...they should be able to gauge people's preference. This should give them direction on what to do with future MacBooks. If the choice if split pretty evenly, perhaps they'll offer both options on various models.

hmm...maybe.
but i really think both should be available to all consumers, regardless.
i can understand why even the possibility of glare would bother those who plan to use their macbook often in an environment brightly illuminated by fluorescents or natural light. and i really cannot think of a completely justifiable reason apple could have for reserving choice for those dishing out more money for the pro - that's just wrong.
if they anticipated sells of glossy to greatly exceed those of matte, they could simply have more limited prooduction of the latter.
i am sure those who feel very strongly that they want matte, would expect there might be a waiting period (if the supply had run out}, and be relatively ok with it.

but since that is not the reality, i really think that those who are disenchanted/bothered/disgruntled by the glossy screens might find the anti-glare films to be a viable solution.

here's a few of the ones i found:
http://www.photodon.com/lcdprotect-sheet.htm
http://www.nushield.com/products.htm
http://www.navprotector.com/screen-p...p-desktop.html

or they could always tote around one of those freaky "sun hoods"
post #72 of 76
I bought a MacBook Friday, and returned it Sunday, after a great deal of thought. The small print, glossy screen, and brightness bothered me. I tried a number of fixes, to no avail.

Am in the market for a 12" Powerbook now.
post #73 of 76
Quote:
Originally posted by red0blivia
...but i really think both should be available to all consumers, regardless.

It all boils down to inventory. Apple and their resellers would have to carry twice the number of models, almost like going back to the days of colored iMacs. Maybe they could handle it but I suspect in the long run they'll decide on one or the other.
post #74 of 76
So at first I was all about getting the matte screen for my new MBP as my wife has a MBP with a matte screen and its nice. However I just realized that my Dell XPS has a glossy screen and I love it. I rarely get a lot of glare unless I have very directional lights.

For example if I'm in a room with windows where the sun is shining in a beam of light - I get reflections. But if I'm in a room with LOTS of sunlight, then no noticeable reflections.
post #75 of 76
i have a macbook and i love the screen.. it makes my videos and pictures even more saturated in color... it looks nicer that any matte screen apple is offering you.. it is even good outside. yes there is glare but it wont distract you..it is easy to ignore. 8)
post #76 of 76
I'm just going to repeat what the majority of people seem to be saying here, the glossy screen isn't bad at all. the only time i've had trouble with it is with DIRECT light, and generally that can be fixed. I'm happy with the screen.
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!" ~ Vroomfondel
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!" ~ Vroomfondel
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › What's up with the glossy Macbook screen?