or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Mac OS X 10.4.7 to tackle mail and browser issues

Mac OS X 10.4.7 to tackle mail and browser issues

post #1 of 83
A forthcoming update to Apple Computer's Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger operating system will deliver improvements to the company's Mail.app and Safari Web browser applications, AppleInsider has learned.

According to sources, the first external pre-release copies of the update, Mac OS X 10.4.7, began making their way into the hands of Apple developers on Monday.

The software builds were labeled "Mac OS X 10.4.7 build 8J111" for PowerPC Macs and "Mac OS X 10.4.7 build 8J2111" for Intel machines, those sources said.

Mac OS X 10.4.7 will be the seventh maintenance and security update to Mac OS X Tiger since Apple first shipped the software last April.

Already sources claim the early builds of the update have patched "over 60" significant issues not addressed by Mac OS X 10.4.6, the most recent release of Tiger.

Specifically, Apple is reported to have asked developers to focus their testing efforts on Mail.app, Safari, Syncing, and iChat. The company also indicated that Mac OS X 10.4.7 would offer improvements for its professional photography customers who are running Aperture.

Those developers testing Mac OS X 10.4.7 have commented that the initial builds of the update are rather stable for an inaugural developer release. They list only a handful of known issues related to the Calculator and Mail.app applications.

Apple is expected to release the software update later this spring, ahead of plans to unveil its next-generation operating system overhaul, code-named Leopard later this summer.
post #2 of 83
If it's already surprisingly stable for the first developer release, then I'd bet they are planning to release it quickly as a response to the security issues in OS X, iChat, Safari, and Mail that some are saying were not sufficiently corrected with the last security update.
post #3 of 83
If Mail was more snappy, i'd welcome it.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #4 of 83
I've been experiencing Safari quit on me while tabbing through forms. I hope this fixes that.
post #5 of 83
i hope they fix the bug that causes Mail.app to crash when opening flash embedded content in emails.
Got my first mac ever: 15" 1.5ghz Powerbook after 13 years of PC junk and hell.
Second mac: 30" ACD, Quad G5.
Got my first mac ever: 15" 1.5ghz Powerbook after 13 years of PC junk and hell.
Second mac: 30" ACD, Quad G5.
post #6 of 83
why do people append .app to Mail? No one says Safari.app
post #7 of 83
Hmmm ... Leopard may be here sooner than we think. There's a good chance that Apple will stop Tiger development after 10.4.9 just as it did with Panther.

If 10.4.7 is released within weeks or perhaps by the end of June, that would give Apple 2 more releases (10.4.8 and 10.4.9) within a 6 month period before they end development of Tiger. I think that's very possible.

That would leave me to believe that we'll see Leopard by WWDC 2007 after it's previewed in August. I'll take the bet that Steve Jobs will announce that Apple is ahead of schedule in the development of OS X 10.5 Leopard.

Imagine the marketing that Apple would employ ... Vista/Longhorn has been delayed numerous time whereas Apple is ahead despite the Intel transition. "Redmond, your copy machines are slow"

Imagine the Buzz
post #8 of 83
The build number of "111" tells me they have been working on this one for a while.
post #9 of 83
Personally I believe that Leopard will be released by Jan/Feb 07, if not in time for the Christmas selling season. Apple has beens steady on releasing upgrades to Tiger and I have no doubts that Leopard is moving along quite well. We'll see how it looks in August.
Ken
Ken
post #10 of 83
Quote:
Originally posted by DeaPeaJay

1) Because it isn't called "Apple Mail." And since it isn't, the word "mail" in that phrase (Apple 'mail') would become generic and not capitalized. So the proper name "Mail" would end up being more proper than "Apple 'mail'" but would still only sound like "mail" especially at the beginning of a sentence, which doesn't seem to work for anyone.

2) Because only Apple can decide to call it MacMail. In fact, for all we know they are saving that name for new .mac version of mail to compete with Gmail and Windows Live mail. That would sure be cool.

3)Because "MailWithNoName" would have to be capitalized and we can't capitalize that one unless it was the real name because that would make it downright wrong (not to mention even more confusing because not everyone would agree that the "no-name 'Name'" was warranted.)
post #11 of 83
I have some ongoing bug issues with Mail and I hope they get resolved.

1) Certain e-mails get sent to Junk and there is nothing I can do about it. The addresses are in my Address Book and there is no 'junk icon' on the the e-mails that lets me tell the program that it is 'not junk.'

2) Preferences for when to delete e-mail from the server never stick. IF I quit the program then it reverts to never delete.

Anybody else have these issues or am I 'special' ?
post #12 of 83
Quote:
Originally posted by amac4me
There's a good chance that Apple will stop Tiger development after 10.4.9

well, YEAH. because after 10.4.9, it becomes 10.5

unless apple decides to start throwing around ANOTHER set of 10.x.y.z super-itty-bitty-mini-patches...
When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

post #13 of 83
What's wrong with 10.4.10? 10.4.11? 10.4.12?
'L'enfer, c'est les autres' - JPS
'L'enfer, c'est les autres' - JPS
post #14 of 83
Quote:
Originally posted by Gene Clean

Funny how people can't fathom the idea that the versioning system isn't somekind of weird decimal system and that there is life beyond .9.

Rok... What's 10.4.6 + 10.3.7?

If you've answered 20.8.3...it's because you've invented some new kind of math.

10.4.6 isn't a decimal number.
post #15 of 83
Quote:
Originally posted by Carson O'Genic

1) Certain e-mails get sent to Junk and there is nothing I can do about it. The addresses are in my Address Book and there is no 'junk icon' on the the e-mails that lets me tell the program that it is 'not junk.'

2) Preferences for when to delete e-mail from the server never stick. IF I quit the program then it reverts to never delete.

regarding the not junk thing, here's the solution (i think): basically, apple has relegated most fo the junk/not junk training to its toolbar buttons. so you HAVE to have the junk button as part of your message reading window. then, when you open a message in its own window, the button will VERY subtly change between being labeled "junk" or "not junk" and you HAVE to have text AND icons showing int he toolbar, or else you'd never know, because the button icon itself doesn't change.

it's actually a pretty friggin' bizarre human-interface thing, with the downside that you can very-likely LOSE e-mail if your filter's not behaving properly.

post #16 of 83
Quote:

(Nonsense deleted - JL)

Everyone knows that once you cross the number 10 in version numbers that are sold or updated directly by end users (that part is important to note) you have to either keep them real simple, or start getting creative and do something different. This is because of the unwritten rule that if version numbers become too ridiculous, it will hurt marketing efforts to end users, create consumer confusion and possibly even cause a revolt where they will feel taken advantage of by too many upgrades. Either that, or it is the unwritten rule that it is better to just start all over again after you have done something 10 times and it still isnt good enough. Either way, it just sounds wrong.
I think. Right?
post #17 of 83
Quote:

1) If there's no button, then do it the "hard" way. Just drag the message out of the Junk folder into your regular inbox.

2) You appear to be "special" on this one. My 12 POP accounts all delete from server as specified in the prefs.
post #18 of 83
Quote:

Because the title: The Application From Apple Currently Called 'Mail' is too long?
post #19 of 83
Quote:
Originally posted by pmjoe
Because the title: The Application From Apple Currently Called 'Mail' is too long?

Were we listening to "The Artist Formally Known as Prince" when you thought of that??

-- Mike Eggleston
-- Mac Finatic since 1984.
-- Proud Member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals
-- Wii #: 8913 3004 4519 2027
-- Mike Eggleston
post #20 of 83
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Eggleston
Were we listening to "The Artist Formally Known as Prince" when you thought of that??

He's called Prince again now, a sure sign of a warp in spacetime.

I for one fully back the 10.4.10 numbering system, not because I think Apple will reach it, surely Leopard's due in January or earlier with luck - but because I want OS X to carry on past 10.9 "Alley Cat"
post #21 of 83
Quote:
Originally posted by fuyutsuki

I for one fully back the 10.4.10 numbering system, not because I think Apple will reach it, surely Leopard's due in January or earlier with luck - but because I want OS X to carry on past 10.9 "Alley Cat"

While I agree that I would want it to continue past 10.9 "Alley Cat" (or Ocelot, or Maine Coon, or Garfield), the fact is that it won't quite roll off the tongue like 10.5, 10.8, or 10.9. Apple's only hope in all of this is if they drop the versioning number in their marketing. Then it just becomes Mac OS X "Maine Coon"
-- Mike Eggleston
-- Mike Eggleston
post #22 of 83
I've two long-standing quirks. One is a website that keeps sending me email (improvements@e.improvementscatalog.com) that Mail refuses to believe is Junk, even though I re-mark it EVERY time. The second issue is that the Calculator seems to keep forgetting that I've selected the View/Show Paper Tape option, so I always have to reselect it each time I restart the Calculator. I've tried several options to try to get it to remember its last configuration, but nothing consistently works ALL the time. Both minor issues, but annoying for a long-time Macintosh user.

- Dave Marsh
iMac Intel 27" 3.4GHz, iPad Air 64GB, iPhone 5 32GB

- Dave Marsh
iMac Intel 27" 3.4GHz, iPad Air 64GB, iPhone 5 32GB

post #23 of 83
I'd appreciate Apple placing a box in Preferences for Safari that would allow people to kill the spawn-new-window feature of websites and hyperlinks if Safari is already launched. I just can't see the logic of spawning a new window when we have tabbed browsing. Why not just force the link to open a new tab rather than spawn a new window. I'd love to see this feature provided.
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
post #24 of 83
a Mute Browser's sounds button in Safari would be just amazing. actually it sounds amazing that no browser has this functionality yet! i just hate sounds on websites i surf at work or when i am listening to music already.

(firefox kids, if you're reading...)
post #25 of 83
Quote:
Originally posted by rebel_without_a_pc
OK here goes, you asked for it:

Maybe the new update will fix the name for us. But Mail.app is the only one we can all agree on. In time you will come to realize this fact as the rest of us have. Please don't screw it up for the rest of us with your ignorance.
Think before you speak.

Quote:
Everyone knows that once you cross the number 10 in version numbers...

Why are you being so snotty and mean? There are forums that welcome such behavior, but usually we're more respectful of one another around here.
post #26 of 83
Quote:

It's historical.

Mail.app is one of the applications carried over from NeXT almost unchanged until they destroyed it in 10.4. In NeXTStep applications showed the extension.

What I can't get with the updates is that Calculator seems to change with every update. Do they break it each time and let some intern cut their teeth on software releases as an exercise? Or is teh Steve still fiddling with the calculator construction set ?
post #27 of 83
Quote:

Never had either of those. If it's junk then I get an extra brown toolbar appear in the mail itself with a button to click.

My Preferences stick too. Perhaps yours are corrupt in some way and Mail isn't saving to them. I've had that happen before with some applications. The XML plist won't get updated until I manually add in the correct keys.
post #28 of 83
some people here are taking life way too serious
post #29 of 83
Whether it's a decimal system or not, that's what people think of them as. Most people would look at 10.4.10 and say one of two things:

1) "Shouldn't it be 10.5 then?"

or

2) "Why does 10.4.1 have an added zero on the end?"

Like it or not, right or wrong, that's what most people think.
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
post #30 of 83
Quote:
Whether it's a decimal system or not, that's what people think of them as. Most people would look at 10.4.10 and say one of two things:

And most people would be wrong. I have a Nortel VPN client that is version 4.65. Yes, that's right 65. Spread the knowledge that software version numbers aren't base 10.
"Slow vehicle speeds with frequent stops would signal traffic congestion, for instance."

uh... it could also signal that my Mom is at the wheel...
"Slow vehicle speeds with frequent stops would signal traffic congestion, for instance."

uh... it could also signal that my Mom is at the wheel...
post #31 of 83
Quote:

Or you could really throw some tight-asses a loop by going hex in an inconsistent manner. It would be 10.4.A, or go Roman numerals all the way: X.IV.X, not that decimals were ever used in Rome that I understand.
post #32 of 83
Quote:

And why do people prepend "the" to Finder? No one says "the Safari"?

For me Mail is Mail and Finder is Finder and if other people want to (app|pre)end those names that's their choice.
post #33 of 83
I hope they fix the problem in Mail.app when setting up a new account it often has trouble validating the account settings even though they are valid and will work if you just ignore the warning at the end of the long, long wait.

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

post #34 of 83
Quote:
Originally posted by kim kap sol
Funny how people can't fathom the idea that the versioning system isn't somekind of weird decimal system and that there is life beyond .9.

Rok... What's 10.4.6 + 10.3.7?

If you've answered 20.8.3...it's because you've invented some new kind of math.

10.4.6 isn't a decimal number.

well, no friggin' DUH... but i can count on HALF OF ONE HAND where developers have extended the versioning numbers into anything else. it's a convention, because, well, 99% of everyone seems to follow it. no, there were no stone tablets cast on a mountaintop. it's just what's been done, and it strikes some people (myself included) as wicked dumb if you haven't been able to plan out your revision cycle to handle everything in TEN TRIES for any particular revision before you have a major NEW revision planned. and the "Industry" seems to agree, since it generally doesn't spit out things like ActionSoft TableMaster Pro LE SE 7.86.43.a to the masses. and when it does, they generally don't market really well. at a certain point, you're kinda saying "well, yeah, we've had to keep patching this thing quite a bit." but that's as much a problem with marketing departments making stupid promises, and no one really holding fast to a true convention and standards for this sort of thing.

post #35 of 83
Quote:
Originally posted by fuyutsuki

ah, and remember that "officially," it's Mac OS X 10.4 (or whatever). imagine what happens if we get to Mac OS X 10.10.10. at that point, i think all systems that auto-update to that revision will revert back to 9" monochrome displays and multifinder, and steve will laugh himself to death.

post #36 of 83
Quote:
Originally posted by CosmoNut

1) "Shouldn't it be 10.5 then?"

or

2) "Why does 10.4.1 have an added zero on the end?"

Like it or not, right or wrong, that's what most people think.

So we should continue with the belief that the earth is flat, stars are pinpoints in the fabric of the sky, and that the Earth is 6,000 years old all because, at some point, the majority of people thought so?

It's called education. It's a good thing. Wrong is wrong.

It's not convention, it's just silly fear over nothing.
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
post #37 of 83
I love all this talk about version numbers. I too used to think that the numbers counted up until 9 then reset to 0 and added 1 to the parent number like a decimal. I've seen shareware do crazy stuff like

iApp 0.1.0.2.349920b

But the one I like the best is one that I've seen a couple of the programs i follow adapt. I'm in an Apple Store right now, and a piece of software they sell in here does it too.

*walks to the software shelf, grabs Diskwarrior*

Yeah, this is a simple yet expansive way to display a products' version.

v.3.0.3 rev. 39

v = Version

3 = primary release number
0 = sub-release patches
3 = hot fixes/sub-patches

rev = Revision
39 = how many times this sub-patch has been modified to make it more stable, less buggy.

I think that's the best looking way to orginize it IMHO. Plus you don't confuse people too much.
"Picasso had a saying, 'Good artists copy, great artists steal.' And we've always been shameless about stealing great ideas."
"Picasso had a saying, 'Good artists copy, great artists steal.' And we've always been shameless about stealing great ideas."
post #38 of 83
Quote:
Originally posted by sjk
And why do people prepend "the" to Finder? No one says "the Safari"?

For me Mail is Mail and Finder is Finder and if other people want to (app|pre)end those names that's their choice.

remember OS9? (or was is OS8 or system 7?) apple menu -> "about the finder"
Mail is Mail, Safari is Safari but the Finder is the Macintosh Finder
post #39 of 83
I am stuck with no user created mailboxes, just inbox, drafts, junk, and trash. When I attempt to create a new mailbox, I get the message
"Unable to create path ~/Library/Mail/Mailboxes/Mail_box_name"

This has all happened since a big crash when I lost all my bookmarks, mail, music from itTunes, etc.
post #40 of 83
Quote:
Originally posted by hledgard
I am stuck with no user created mailboxes, just inbox, drafts, junk, and trash. When I attempt to create a new mailbox, I get the message
"Unable to create path ~/Library/Mail/Mailboxes/Mail_box_name"

This has all happened since a big crash when I lost all my bookmarks, mail, music from itTunes, etc.

Ok, I hate to ask the obvious, but have you done a Repair Permissions. This smells so badly of a permissions issue.
-- Mike Eggleston
-- Mike Eggleston
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Mac OS X 10.4.7 to tackle mail and browser issues