or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Should Apple make a TV?

Should Apple make a TV?

Poll Results: Do you want Apple to solve your sea of remotes, with a does everything Apple TV?

Poll expired: May 22, 2006  
  • 44% (30)
    yes
  • 55% (37)
    no
67 Total Votes  
post #1 of 31
I firmly believe Apple should do this, and I would purchase such a product from Apple.

32" slot-load Hard Drive TV Media centre with everything built-in. No keyboard or mouse, cause at the end of the day it's a TV. Wireless etc. for streaming from computer if you like.
(1) Remote control (0-9, rec, plus regular apple remote buttons)
(2) Slot-load Superdrive like iMac, for burning if nessesary, importing media or backing up data.
(3) Built-in speakers and an apple symbol.

Simplicity, simplicity, simplicity.

Sony Bravia + cinema display + media centre = "Apple TV".

[COLOR=royal blue]Edit>>> three size choices 32", 42", 50"[/COLOR]
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #2 of 31
it should at least be a 50" tv!
post #3 of 31
no, just a real HD media center...dead quiet full connectivity to your other devices.
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
post #4 of 31
Yep.
post #5 of 31
Rolo?

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

post #6 of 31
I'm embarrased to ask but.. what does 'rolo' mean?
post #7 of 31
Eventually Apple will update their Cinema Displays with a larger size than 30", I think something bigger than 44" will be coming not very far on the horizon.
I bet they will market this beast for entertainment as well as computer monitor.

But I don't think Apple would release a TV with 1080i for the sake of only watching HDTV or DVDs.
MacPro 12 core
30" & 23" Apple Cinema HD Displays
PowerBook G4 550, MacBook Pro 2.2
Ipod 1G and 5G, Shuffle 2G, iPhone 3G
MacPro 12 core
post #8 of 31
Maybe but I think the first step should at least be a dedicated multimedia box for current tvs.

It'd be crazy to just release this and expect everyone who wants an apple multimedia experience to get a new tv.
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
post #9 of 31
Quote:
Originally posted by backtomac
I'm embarrased to ask but.. what does 'rolo' mean?

It's not a what its a who

from a sandwich shop not too far away!
post #10 of 31
Yes, why not. Some would say that bringing an Apple branded TV into an already brand saturated market would be useless but it's all about image. Apple already have the enviable position of leaders in design as far as computing/MP3 players go and a hell of a lot of people are suckers for design fashion. Combine this with top connections in the consumer electronics industry (ala Sony etc.) and they just may be onto a winner.

Design a great looking TV with great picture/sound/connectivity and function, slap an Apple logo on - watch them fly out the store.

Sometime soon Apple will produce the "All-in-one compTV" before someone else does. Apple really like the all-in-one design apparently

Oh... and maybe we wouldn't need a keyboard/mouse, just speak to the thing and it'll do whatever you wish
post #11 of 31
I would say that Apple would be incline to do more a Hi-end large monitor than a TV. Steve is not very fond of television. So makes me skeptical to see that happening.

I agreed that a DVR should come first, That would be a solution for the entertainment room that I am looking for. The piece of the ilife that is missing. The ability to record shows. Ala EyeTV.
There are amazing HDTV sets out there from Pioneer Elite to Sony, Panasonic, etc. Why would Apple make a TV on a saturate market?

I think to brand a large computer monitor as one more piece of the Apple strategy for the entertainment room with the stand alone DVR box would make more sense. Have both connect wirelessly to stream photos, music and video and also the Itunes store that would be really cool.

So IMHO, I think a large Cinema Display HD 44" + with really hi-resolution (higher than the 30") is what is coming. That will excite professionals and people just looking to have a great monitor on the entertainment room.
MacPro 12 core
MacPro 12 core
post #12 of 31
This issue has been discussed to death already. The idea of an Apple-branded TV is fundamentally a dumb one on so many levels. The most important of these is that prices of HDTV sets are dropping like a stone. I don't see anyone can claim to be an Apple supporter and urge the company to enter a market in which it is guaranteed to take a bath.

On other fronts: Steve Jobs appeared this evening on NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams in connection with the opening of the new New York Apple Store. Brian Williams will continue the interview next week.
post #13 of 31
I want an Apple tractor! Apple needs to make a tractor for me!!
'L'enfer, c'est les autres' - JPS
'L'enfer, c'est les autres' - JPS
post #14 of 31
Quote:
Originally posted by Gene Clean

post #15 of 31
Quote:
Originally posted by Gene Clean

And they should come in shiny white and matte black. And I hope they pile on the thermal grease.
post #16 of 31
Quote:
Originally posted by kim kap sol
And they should come in shiny white and matte black. And I hope they pile on the thermal grease.

Now that on the other hand is funny
post #17 of 31
1. Make a 52" Cinema Display with iSight
2. Add a digital TV tuner and a Mac mini which doubles as a DVR
3. ????
4. Profit!
20" iMac Core Duo
15" MacBook Pro
20" iMac Core Duo
15" MacBook Pro
post #18 of 31
Why would Apple, which aims to turn users into producers, make a boob tube?

Why would they piss off all the companies that make them, when they'll want to work with them?

Why would they make a DVR, when the current ones are marginally profitable and under a more or less continuous legal threat? Not to mention a fundamentally crude and retrofitted time delay, however slicked up.

I just don't see it. Any DVI-capable HDTV already works with your Mac as slickly as it's going to. It's fast becoming commodified, leaving no room for Apple to compete (yeah, Apple uses commodity components, but the platform is not a commodity).

Slick design? Apple's idea of a slick design these days is to make the components vanish so that all you see is the screen. TVs are already there, long since. Integration? How much integration can you possibly do with a TV? I can think of all kinds of cool stuff you could do with a DVR, all of which would bring down a host of lawyers from the entertainment industry—who would win, by the way, unless the presiding judge took the rare stance of proclaiming much the last 18 years of US copyright law unconstitutional (not that I'd mind...). The DVR has even less of a chance in Europe, whose IP laws make the US' look anarchic. And how many people would want to have to buy an Apple TV to get the DVR anyway? What's the point, when you have the functional equivalent of a DVR sitting in your lap?

I honestly don't see what Apple gains from this, nor what we'd gain from it, except for the passing thrill of having one more thing with a glowing Apple logo on it. Mark my words: Steve is going to do to video what he's doing to audio. All digital. No stock, no ordering, no limited selection of titles (eventually!). You download it, you "own" it (in an analogous way to the way you "own" the songs on a CD). This is (one reason) why Steve is pushing HD support in QuickTime so hard. (The other is of course content creation, and you just know he'd like to have solutions from start to finish.)

The TV will still be there, of course, just as the CD is still here. But instead of retrofitting a DVR to a TV, you'd just buy what you wanted to see, and watch it whenever you wanted to. There are still some major hurdles to clear before Apple can do this, but Steve's been talking to the industry players for some years now, and testing the waters at the iTunes Music Store. I'm sure he fully intends to have everyone lined up for when he rolls this out in earnest.
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
post #19 of 31
I have a nice TV which I hope to enjoy for the next 10 years, or so.

That's an awfull long time.

In the same time I probally buy 3 Macs with a price much higher than this rather expensive TV.

It's not a market you should wish Apple to enter.
alles sal reg kom
alles sal reg kom
post #20 of 31
I voted no. I'd rather see them concentrate on the media center, and current projects. There are plenty of TV manufacturers out there. I love my 65" MItsubishi anyway.
onlooker

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
onlooker

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
post #21 of 31
I'd just like to see a cheap TV tuner for Mac. All the ones I see are about £200+. You get ones for Windows under £50. That would make a Mini ideal for replacing a DVD recorder.

You can get a cheap Mini off ebay for close to £250, possibly less now. Then you can use your bluetooth phone as a remote:

http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/ma...th_remote.html

I hate all-in-ones so I wouldn't like a Mac TV.
post #22 of 31
Another problem with the TV market for Apple is the speed in which prices are going to drop on competing "new" technologies like Plasma, LCD, and the various projection models as they compete for dominance in the market as well as new, lower cost production comes on line.

Now, this wouldn't be a problem if Apple adjusted their prices based on the current market, but they do not have a tendency to do this. If they did the 20" would be selling for $100-200 less than it is now (which was a competative price when it was introduced). They had the same problem with the 17" before they dropped it, with a price point of $699 (if I remember correctly) than was not adjusted for about 18 months competing in a market where the average monitor was a good $200 less expensive than Apple's offering.

There is also the problem of SALES, Apple doesn't have them. Sure they offer some promo's like a reduced price on a monitor IF you buy a PM, but that's not a sale that brings people into the stores. It puts Apple at a disadvantage in the market when stores have other items truely on sale. Look at the CompUSA circular, when they place Apple computers in there they have a tendency to list the high end price, there is no incentive for them to even put them in, since the best price they can give is the same as everyone else.

Finally, unless they can really bing something new to the market, they should stay out for the same reason they got out of the printer market. They won't be building the product, its basically a (insert manufacturer here) model, sure it looks a little better but not worth the extra $200 price, and the (insert manufacturer here) has a $400 mail in rebate, and Best Buy is offering $100 instant rebate, so the (insert manufacturer here) TV will only cost me $1000 instead of the $1700 for the Apple. Sure there is a good chance I will never get around to mailing in that rebate, but it sounds good when I'm standing there in the store.

If Apple were to become less restrictive in their pricing and allowed retailers to offer sales on their products then I might have different opinion, and if on top of that they adjusted their prices more often so that they stayed price competative then they might be able to be successfull in the overall "comoditized" electronics market, but untill they do I would think that it would be a bad idea to do so.
post #23 of 31
apple should not make a tv.

stupid, stupid, idea.
post #24 of 31
Quote:
Originally posted by Elixir
apple should not make a tv.

stupid, stupid, idea.

Better than your stupid idea
post #25 of 31
Like I said before.
I doubt Apple will make a TV for the sake of just watching TV.
But they will make larger Cinema Displays that if the user wants to use it on the entertainment room to watch TV, they could.
Apple might team with Elgato or find an easy way to allow people to hook up TV to the Cinema Displays without the need for a computer. That seems feasible to me.
MacPro 12 core
MacPro 12 core
post #26 of 31
Quote:
Originally posted by Ireland
A Leopard with a weapon can break Windows

Yeah, but a broken window could kill a leopard. I don't know if that bodes too well for Apple.
post #27 of 31
Quote:
Originally posted by elron
Yeah, but a broken window could kill a leopard. I don't know if that bodes too well for Apple.

You mean broken windows, could stop people using windows and give them one more reason to switch to Tiger, and then Leopard will seal the deal
post #28 of 31
A Leopard with a weapon can break Windows.
post #29 of 31
Wow. You also started a thread about that?

Slipped by an electronics store today in Fukuoka, Japan, to see what was on offer. Lots of Japanese makers are producing TVs with built-in HDD recording, fold-up keyboards (remaining part of the screen turns to a clock and calendar) and of course Windows and the full range of computer functions. Some of them looked really nice, had great screens and Sony's was even portable (if you call lugging a mark of portability).

post #30 of 31
Quote:
Originally posted by Bergermeister

Slipped by an electronics store today in Fukuoka, Japan, to see what was on offer. Lots of Japanese makers are producing TVs with built-in HDD recording, fold-up keyboards (remaining part of the screen turns to a clock and calendar) and of course Windows and the full range of computer functions. Some of them looked really nice, had great screens and Sony's was even portable (if you call lugging a mark of portability).

Hmmm, interesting.
post #31 of 31
Here:
http://www.vaio.sony.co.jp/Products/L1/

This one attaches to most better TVs and is a home server, broadcasting thru-out the home.

http://www.vaio.sony.co.jp/Products/VGX-XL70S/

And just for fun... the successor to the Clie.

http://www.vaio.sony.co.jp/Products/UX1/

with a very nice tour...
http://www.vaio.sony.co.jp/Products/...?product=typeU

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Should Apple make a TV?