or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › England World Cup BS....

England World Cup BS.... - Page 2

post #41 of 53
Quote:
Originally posted by segovius
Ok, I need to vent.....

I work all day on my Mac. I like to listen to the radio while I do so. I love sport so I especially like to listen to BBC Five which is basically a football station. No problems, all is good.

But lately I have been subjected during my work schedule with to a barrage of obscenities on a daily basis - yes, it is the England World Cup arrogance turned to warp-factor 6745895

All day - every day: England will win, Rooney's F'ing foot, England will win, blah, blah. blah ad nauseum.

Hey, we get treated to the same thing over here in the US when it comes to jock-talk stations...nothing quite as annoying as wanting to get the scores on sunday afternoon and having to listen to the blowhards on WSCR bitch about how their poor Chicago Bears suck...it is a universal thing i guess...

The thing that makes them really sick is they still talk about their 1985 chamionchip as if it just happened yesterday!
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
post #42 of 53
Quote:
Originally posted by valmad
Australia v USA final. The arrogant old world would go into meltdown. I would love to see how the BBC ran that story.

Let me speak on behalf of the US as a whole, if our team wins, that is cool, but we could give a flip less...we like REAL football...where the action stays on the field and you dont need riots to have fun; without the ever looming threat of a riot breaking out, a soccer game would be a great ensomnia treatment...

(ducks)
post #43 of 53
Quote:
Originally posted by a_greer
Let me speak on behalf of the US as a whole, if our team wins, that is cool, but we could give a flip less...we like REAL football...where the action stays on the field and you dont need riots to have fun; without the ever looming threat of a riot breaking out, a soccer game would be a great ensomnia treatment...

(ducks)

Get all those overpaid robocops to lose all the padding and go full out for eighty minutes non-stop against a combined Wales/England/France/Scotland/All Black/ Wallaby/Bok rugby team and then we'll talk.

What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
post #44 of 53
Quote:
Get all those overpaid robocops to lose all the padding and go full out for eighty minutes non-stop against a combined Wales/England/France/Scotland/All Black/ Wallaby/Bok rugby team and then we'll talk.

Rugby...now THERE is a sport; sadly Fox Sports international gave up rugby and changed their name ot Fox Soccer world...so no rugby for us!!!

DAMN YOU RUPERT MURDOCK
post #45 of 53
Quote:
Ok, I need to vent.....

All day - every day: England will win, Rooney's F'ing foot, England will win, blah, blah. blah ad nauseum.

I Can totally relate to your sentiments...
After all, this will be the first time the Netherlands will be world champion.
[fake German accent] Ze Orange will be ze WELTMEISTER!!! [/fake German accent]

[ducks and hides....]
post #46 of 53
Japan tied Germany in a friendly yesterday, only not wining because their defence (their weakest link) fouled twice leading to free kicks. They certainly gave Germany a run for their money, and are really starting to look good. The press of course excuse the tie, but the truth was in the smile on Zico's face at the end of the game; he knew what the result was. THe Japan team also recently drew against Brazil, so we might have an interesting couple of weeks here. The fans are already going crazy, as are the tv commerials for everything from soap to beer using a soccer theme.

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

post #47 of 53
This is just utter madness:

They are banning the flag of St George now.

Much as I am less than enthusiastic about English Nationalism and doggedly anti -Nazi (of which this flag has traditionally been a symbol) I cannot agree with this banning.

We should all be able to fly our flags - English, Welsh, Scottish. What's the problem?

Besides, no-one is banning Welsh or Scottish flags, just the English. This is just stupid.
post #48 of 53
We can't fly Confederate or Nazi flags. Go figure.
post #49 of 53
Quote:
Originally posted by Placebo
We can't fly Confederate or Nazi flags. Go figure.

Well that's good. I hate Nazis.

The thing is that this flag is England's national flag - ie the equivalent of the Stars and Stripes.

The Nazis sequestered it because they are Nazis and nationalists but they don't own it.
post #50 of 53
Quote:

Ok - I can take the mindless arrogance that England have already planned their victory parade because this is just a joke and will make it all the sweeter when they go crashing out in humiliation to the Germans on penalties.

This is standard practice for all tournamants, West Ham and LIverpool both planned there FA Cup Parades 3 months before the final and before they were even in it. They have to do this becuase of organisation and security.

Do you reckon you could organise a parade like this in under a week.

Stop reading tabloid papers and making your opinion based on what they say. I'm guessing you switched to Labour when "The Sun" did.

Enjoy watching us play in the World cup, it may only be for three games but it will be more than your team will be doing.

Stick to eyeing up the sheep you Mug
post #51 of 53
Quote:
Originally posted by DenverKirrane
Stick to eyeing up the sheep you Mug

Hehe - that's more like the English we used to know - the wit, the repartee, the intellectual capacity....

Empire is not dead....

post #52 of 53
Quote:
Chelsea are heading for a train-wreck and I'm going to love it! There is no way they are going to contain all those egos - they can't now. Huth and Drogba are p'ed off already.

Sounds like sour grapes. I'll be the one laughing when Chelski bodybag Barcelona next year in the Champions League.
Cat: the other white meat
post #53 of 53
Quote:
Originally posted by a_greer

What I don't understand about most Americans is that they can't seem to realize that it's OK to watch US football and world football, and like them both. You can also like rugby. I like all three, but soccer is definitely the most accessible to play, and the TV coverage is definitely the best. Rugby doesn't watch as well on TV, at least for me, since I played wing and am more interested in what's going on in the back field than what's going on in the scrum.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › England World Cup BS....