or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Application to play ripped DVDs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Application to play ripped DVDs

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 
Hi guys,
I need some help here. I would like to rip all my DVDs, 150+, and set it up to stream to my home theatre. I saw some hardware (can't remember the name) at Bang & Olufson that sorts all the dvds you ripped by genre, actors, etc... (too expensive tho) and I was wondering if there is any software for mac (or windoze) that will show me all my DVDs, with cover art, at a minimum.

I have MediaCentral, which works to an extent, but it shows a lot of static before it starts the DVDs. If it is any help, my DVDs are all region 1 (US/Canada).

Thanks for the help,
Noah

PS: For those who will scream 'ILLIGAL', all my DVDs were paid for in full, and this is going to be used so that I don't have to spend 30 mins finding the DVD I want, and so other people that use it do not scratch the discs.
post #2 of 20
Hmm. Dunno, does FrontRow have a way of visually showing you a poster frame from a movie, like it shows you posters for movie previews? If so, then there actually is a way to hint a QuickTime file to force the poster frame to be a particular image - you could make that the DVD cover off of Amazon.

Alternately, is there a way to trigger an action from inside Delicious Library? You could use that as the basic UI to find what you want, then have it hand off to another player.
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
Reply
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
Reply
post #3 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by Kickaha
Hmm. Dunno, does FrontRow have a way of visually showing you a poster frame from a movie, like it shows you posters for movie previews? If so, then there actually is a way to hint a QuickTime file to force the poster frame to be a particular image - you could make that the DVD cover off of Amazon.

Alternately, is there a way to trigger an action from inside Delicious Library? You could use that as the basic UI to find what you want, then have it hand off to another player.

The problem with frontrow is that it does not play ripped dvds. But I will check out Delicious Library. Thanks

Noah
post #4 of 20
1. would take you years to do
2. would cost you a fortune in new/larger hard-drives

probly be best to simply rip them (on a pc i use dvdshrink) and organise the dvd files yourself. then you can just select the correct VIDEO_TS folder with your media player and off you go
post #5 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by chirho
1. would take you years to do
2. would cost you a fortune in new/larger hard-drives

probly be best to simply rip them (on a pc i use dvdshrink) and organise the dvd files yourself. then you can just select the correct VIDEO_TS folder with your media player and off you go

You're contradicting yourself. You are telling me it will take years to rip 150 DVDs, then telling me to do it. Just thought I'd point that out.

Thanks for your insight, but I am looking for software that will show me the cover art from the DVD because my family finds it easier to identify DVDs like that. Rather than browsing through hundreds of titles.

Kickaha: Delicious Library is great and all, but unfortunately, I have been unable to find any play feature for ripped movies. Thanks anyways.

Noah

Edit: Minor spelling errors
post #6 of 20
I have had good luck with a free program called Matinee.

Check their website... http://matinee.dizandat.com/
Work Hard. Increase Production. Prevent Accidents. And Be Happy...
Reply
Work Hard. Increase Production. Prevent Accidents. And Be Happy...
Reply
post #7 of 20
Quote:
Originally posted by noah93
I am looking for software that will show me the cover art from the DVD because my family finds it easier to identify DVDs like that. Rather than browsing through hundreds of titles.

Your family would find a movie quicker by looking through a lot of images than if you listed the movies alphabetically by name?

What I would do is rip them with yadeX as images (assuming you wanted the extras and menus). Then you just list the images in your filesystem, mount the one you want and open DVD player.

If you just want the main track to save some space, you could rip it as a VOB and then make up a playlist in VLC.
post #8 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by Shell Dweller
I have had good luck with a free program called Matinee.

Check their website... http://matinee.dizandat.com/

THANKS! Sounds perfect! I will check it out and get back to you.

Noah
post #9 of 20
Quote:
Originally posted by noah93
Kickaha: Delicious Library is great and all, but unfortunately, I have been unable to find any play feature for ripped movies. Thanks anyways.

I didn't expect it to be able to play the movies directly, but does it have a method for triggering any external action? If so, regardless of how it does it, it could be used to hand off the movie to a player. For some reason, I kind of expected it to have a triggering function. I'll look into it, and plant a bug in Wil's ear if necessary.
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
Reply
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
Reply
post #10 of 20
Apple's own DVD player will play DVD ISOs. You double click the ISO and I think DVD Player opens automatically to play.
post #11 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by JeffDM
Apple's own DVD player will play DVD ISOs. You double click the ISO and I think DVD Player opens automatically to play.

Yes, I found that out a few days ago, but I was looking for a software that would show me the cover of the dvd, then give me the option to play it.

Noah
post #12 of 20
Interesting you should ask, I've just bought nine of those new 750Gb seagate disks and there's a card/multi-disk-enclosure on it's way over to me as I type. I have an old xserve that they will be attached to. Once that's setup I'm going to start ripping all of my DVDs onto it (with MTR). I'm then going to install a four mac minis (DVI-attached) to my TVs around the house and wire (cat 5, don't trust wireless for video) them back to the xserve with BT mice and keyboards. I'll use DVD player to play the rips and VLC for any other video I come across. I'm also putting connecting a couple of those elgato DVB-T boxes to the xserve to act as a PVR. Keep your fingers crossed for me!
post #13 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by Chopper3
Interesting you should ask, I've just bought nine of those new 750Gb seagate disks and there's a card/multi-disk-enclosure on it's way over to me as I type. I have an old xserve that they will be attached to. Once that's setup I'm going to start ripping all of my DVDs onto it (with MTR). I'm then going to install a four mac minis (DVI-attached) to my TVs around the house and wire (cat 5, don't trust wireless for video) them back to the xserve with BT mice and keyboards. I'll use DVD player to play the rips and VLC for any other video I come across. I'm also putting connecting a couple of those elgato DVB-T boxes to the xserve to act as a PVR. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

Ya, that is exactly what I was planning to do! Just minus the xserve, too expensive . Know of any RAIDs that cost less, yet allow me to have around 6 HDs? As for using DVD player, don't you think it would be annoying to have to use the keyboard/mouse? If you dont mind going through text, I'd recommend MediaCentral, works with the apple remote, salling clicker, and a bunch of other things. It also has a decent interface. Good luck with your setup!

Noah
post #14 of 20
I use a RAID 5 card from HERE. It takes up to 8 SATA drives.
horrid misuse of cool technology
SSBA.COM
Reply
horrid misuse of cool technology
SSBA.COM
Reply
post #15 of 20
I think FrontRow needs plugin support, or at least some way to better integrate other media. I'm sure Apple is well aware of this problem though, and I think iTunes 7 will have much better video handling, assuming it stays within iTunes.

I'd prefer a true FrontRow SDK though, as I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd want to extend FrontRow's capabilities.
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
Reply
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
Reply
post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally posted by Xool
I think FrontRow needs plugin support

I second that. It would be great to see EyeTV in there.
horrid misuse of cool technology
SSBA.COM
Reply
horrid misuse of cool technology
SSBA.COM
Reply
post #17 of 20
Quote:
Originally posted by Xool
I think FrontRow needs plugin support, or at least some way to better integrate other media.

While I agree....

I don't see happening.... not so long as Apple is (still?) in negotiations with the studios et al to get more video/movie content for iTunes.

Dave
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
post #18 of 20
Like you, I've been trying to find a program that will show me cover art of my library then open dvd player- Just showing the title is not acceptable-- just showing one title at a time is also not acceptable.

Most programs are like going to Blockbuster and getting a list of titles typed on a page-- or showing you one DVD cover at a time.

I found DVD Juggler - It's the only program I have been able to find that will show me the cover art of many movies and call dvd player to view. Sadly, It's a little unstable and crashes often when I add a movie and search for cover art.

http://homepage.mac.com/aodev/main.html

I made a request to the writers of Delicious Library for that automated feature. Here's the text of the author's reply-- Sadly, I cannot make it work. Does anyone know the syntax/procedure to make DVD Player open from Delicious Library?

"You can associate any URL (including a file:///) with an item in Delicious Library in My Info. RIght now you have to do some clicking to get it to launch, but likely the next version will launch the URL on double click."
post #19 of 20
Don't forget Drive-In.
post #20 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galley View Post

Don't forget Drive-In.

Thanks! I did forget about DriveIn. I'm not ready to "commit" until it's not beta.

Here's another one I found-- it looks very good-- DVDpedia

http://bruji.com/dvdpedia/
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Application to play ripped DVDs