or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple introduces the new U2 iPod

Apple introduces the new U2 iPod

post #1 of 35
Apple on Tuesday introduced a new version of its U2 Special Edition iPod as part of a continued partnership between Apple, U2 and Universal Music Group (UMG).

The new U2 iPod is based on the company's fifth-generation 30GB iPod and holds up to 7,500 songs, 25,000 photos or over 75 hours of video. It features a distinctive, all-black stainless steel enclosure, red Click Wheel and custom engraving of U2 band member signatures.

U2 iPod adopters will also receive 30 minutes of exclusive U2 video downloadable from the iTunes Music Store, Apple said. The new iPod is available immediately for $329.

"We're thrilled to continue working with one of the greatest bands in the world to bring U2 fans a special edition of the world's best digital music player," said Greg Joswiak, Apple's vice president of worldwide iPod Product Marketing. "With its distinctive new design, including an all-black stainless steel enclosure, the new U2 iPod is sure to be a hit."

The new U2 iPod features Apple's patent-pending Auto-Sync technology that automatically downloads digital music, podcasts, photos, audiobooks, home movies, music videos and popular television shows onto the iPod and keeps them up-to-date whenever the iPod is plugged into a Mac or Windows computer using USB 2.0. The new U2 iPod features up to 14 hours of battery life for music playback.

Pricing & Availability

The new 30GB U2 iPod is available immediately for a suggested retail price of $329 (US) through the Apple Store, Apple's retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers. Each player includes earbud headphones, USB 2.0 cable, a case and dock insert. U2 iPod customers will also receive a coupon for 30 minutes of exclusive U2 video content downloadable from the iTunes Music Store.

iPod requires a Mac with a USB 2.0 port and Mac OS X version 10.3.9 or later and iTunes 6; or a Windows PC with a USB 2.0 port and Windows 2000, XP Home or Professional (SP2) and iTunes 6.
post #2 of 35
Whoa AppleInsider is on the ball with this one - beat out iLounge, Engadget and the rest to this news.

This definitely seems pretty pointless to me - the appeal of the first U2 iPod was the different color option, whereas all this one offers is a red click wheel and the band members' autographs.

Two things that could have made this better - offering the iPod in Red and/or donating a sizable chunk of the price to the (Red) campaign Bono et. al have going on now to deal with aids (Motorola offer a Red SLVR here in the UK which includes a cut of the profits to this cause). This would have served as a way to differentiate the model further, imo.

BTW, what's the reference to Apple's Auto-Sync tech? Isn't that what we've had on every iPod since the beginning?
post #3 of 35
If anything, this can be seen as an indication that Apple hasn't given up on "special edition" iPods. Maybe we'll see more of them in the future.
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
post #4 of 35
Whoop de friggin dooooo
post #5 of 35
How about a Chili Peppers one with tattoos across the back?
post #6 of 35
This is about as exciting as the original U2 iPod. Releasing it a second time is the lamest thing I've ever seen from Apple. I would imagine anyone who really cares about having a U2 iPod bought one the first time; Are these people actually ready and willing to purchase another one? I will say that at least the markup isn't that much over other 30 GB models. Other band models might sell better.
post #7 of 35
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnnyKrz
This is about as exciting as the original U2 iPod. Releasing it a second time is the lamest thing I've ever seen from Apple. I would imagine anyone who really cares about having a U2 iPod bought one the first time; Are these people actually ready and willing to purchase another one? I will say that at least the markup isn't that much over other 30 GB models. Other band models might sell better.

well, i happen to be married to someone who proves your argument wrong on every single point. so there's one.
When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

post #8 of 35
Quote:
Originally posted by Strawberry

i'd get that one! but i guess u2 is a better choice cause they have a larger worldwide appeal... and maybe cause flea isn't friends with steve jobs hehe.
post #9 of 35
I'm wondering why Apple would release these so late after introducing the 5th generation iPod and so close to the 6th?
post #10 of 35
Quote:
Originally posted by Strawberry

Ohh, a Chili Peppers iPod with a Special Edition white sock!
post #11 of 35
this one goes to ELEVEN!
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
post #12 of 35
Quote:
Originally posted by psychboy

One of Five original socks to first 5 purchasers. Junk not included, curly's optional.
post #13 of 35
I'm waiting for the Beatle's iPod: white with a green apple painted on the click wheel.

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

post #14 of 35
Quote:
Originally posted by bdkennedy1
I'm wondering why Apple would release these so late after introducing the 5th generation iPod and so close to the 6th?

Do you know something we don't? I'm not convinced the 6th gen is coming out any time soon.
post #15 of 35
Quote:
Originally posted by your_ad_here

This definitely seems pretty pointless to me - the appeal of the first U2 iPod was the different color option, whereas all this one offers is a red click wheel and the band members' autographs.

The back is also black metal... so i think that makes it quite an appealing "different color option".
post #16 of 35
Quote:
Originally posted by OllieWallieWhiskers
The back is also black metal... so i think that makes it quite an appealing "different color option".

and then the whole thing will be stuffed into some protective case and the whole color thing is moot. Silly rabbits!
post #17 of 35
Quote:
Originally posted by psychboy

...guaranteed pre-worn by Flea!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #18 of 35
Quote:
Originally posted by bdkennedy1

That's what i was thinking, maybe the 6th gen is further off than we thought. I'm holding out for it, so I hope not. I was expecting the 6th sometime before christmas.
post #19 of 35
Quote:
Originally posted by SpamSandwich
...guaranteed pre-worn by Flea!

Poor Flea is gonna get a rash from trying on all those socks...
post #20 of 35
A new iPod in the satanic colors of black and red is released on 6/6/06? Does this mean Bono is the Antichrist?
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
post #21 of 35
Quote:
Originally posted by shetline
A new iPod in the satanic colors of black and red is released on 6/6/06? Does this mean Bono is the Antichrist?

No, the Anti-christ will have ACTUAL political influance,
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
post #22 of 35
What's the story with the "Auto-Sync" technology?
post #23 of 35
Quote:
Originally posted by CosmoNut
If anything, this can be seen as an indication that Apple hasn't given up on "special edition" iPods. Maybe we'll see more of them in the future.

You mean to say: "If anything, this can be seen as an indication that Apple hasn't given up on "U2 special edition" iPods."

They've never made any other kind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Quote:

post #24 of 35
Quote:
Originally posted by ecking
You mean to say: "If anything, this can be seen as an indication that Apple hasn't given up on "U2 special edition" iPods."

The Harry Potter iPod to name but one
iMac G5 (20"); iPod 5.5G 30GB; MacBook (Black) Core Duo
iMac G5 (20"); iPod 5.5G 30GB; MacBook (Black) Core Duo
post #25 of 35
Quote:
Originally posted by AppleInsider

The new U2 iPod features Apple's patent-pending Auto-Sync technology that automatically downloads digital music, podcasts, photos, audiobooks, home movies, music videos and popular television shows onto the iPod and keeps them up-to-date whenever the iPod is plugged into a Mac or Windows computer using USB 2.0. The new U2 iPod features up to 14 hours of battery life for music playback.

They cant patent that can they? auto syncing is done the same way on PDAs, cell phones and alike -- email clients do largly yhe same thing; they cant patent a method of data delivery that already is in wide use just because their use involves a differant payload, media in stead of email or contacts...
post #26 of 35
The difference is that the syncing happens as soon as the iPod is plugged in. I have to initiate syncs for my cell phone, PDA, etc.
post #27 of 35
Quote:
Originally posted by david_oc
The Harry Potter iPod to name but one

That wasn't a different design it was just an engraving and a discount on an audio book.
Quote:

Quote:

post #28 of 35
i like the colors but i dont like U2. is there away you can "erase" the signatures and the U2 logo?
post #29 of 35
Quote:
Originally posted by iPickle06
is there away you can "erase" the signatures and the U2 logo?

No, but you can put a case on it to never see the back.
post #30 of 35
Quote:
Originally posted by iPickle06
i like the colors but i dont like U2. is there away you can "erase" the signatures and the U2 logo?

Belt Sander
post #31 of 35
Quote:

Bzzzt.

Beck.

Madonna.

Tony Hawk.

And there was one from No Doubt too, but I can't find any image.
post #32 of 35
Quote:
Originally posted by tonton
Bzzzt.

Beck.

Madonna.

Tony Hawk.

And there was one from No Doubt too, but I can't find any image.

Alright, now show the fronts of those ipods.

Any ipod can be engraved, the U2 one is the only one with a different front.
Quote:

Quote:

post #33 of 35
Quote:

You missed my point, Apple made and marketed these iPods specifically as "Special Edition iPods". They even cost more than regular iPods. This was Apple's first step toward U2.
post #34 of 35
Quote:

Any iPod can be engraved which you seem to imply a third party because Apple usually only offers plain text as an engraving option, but you seem to also dismiss third party options for coloring the front.

Is the red click wheel the only thing that makes it a special edition, not that Apple had marketed other iPod "band" editions as special editions? There was at least one other special edition where a menu background was added as well as a logo on the back, that was marketed in Japan only, the NERV iPod, there may have been others. So, Apple did market other special editions despite your assertions, whether the front was colored differently for the others is irrelevant.
post #35 of 35
I agree with your_ad_here they shouldve made it red with black click wheel.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple introduces the new U2 iPod