or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › MacBook Pro in August?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

MacBook Pro in August?

post #1 of 25
Thread Starter 
Do you think the MacBook Pro (specifically the 17") will be at all different come August? Ive decided on the 17 and "need" to have it by mid August. My question is, do you think it worth waiting or should I just get it now?
post #2 of 25
Probably only minor changes, a small speed bump perhaps. Again, if there are major changes, there will be a tweaking period to get rid of bugs, design flaws, etc. Buy now.

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #3 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by Bergermeister
Probably only minor changes, a small speed bump perhaps. Again, if there are major changes, there will be a tweaking period to get rid of bugs, design flaws, etc. Buy now.

Thanks Bergermeister. Any other thoughts?
post #4 of 25
I am waiting till August to buy a MBP. The main reason is because they are going to be 64bit chips. I would much rather have a 64bit chip and holding out for two months really isnt going to kill me anymore. I would wait, you said you didnt need one till mid august anyway. I think it would be worth the wait.
Mac Pro - 2 x 2.66 - 250GB HDD - 500GB HDD - 4GB Ram - 2x Super Drives - Bluetooth/Airport Extreme - ATI Radeon x1900 512MB - 23" HD Cinema Display
Reply
Mac Pro - 2 x 2.66 - 250GB HDD - 500GB HDD - 4GB Ram - 2x Super Drives - Bluetooth/Airport Extreme - ATI Radeon x1900 512MB - 23" HD Cinema Display
Reply
post #5 of 25
Thoughts on what? If you are looking for buying advice and perhaps still deciding between MB and MBP, search the threads here. There are several threads dealing with that, especially for students. If you are asking about updates, well, Apple might improve the screen.

Let us know what you "need" it for and we can give you better advice.

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #6 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by Bergermeister
Let us know what you "need" it for and we can give you better advice.

I going on a trip for work and it would be very helpful to have. As for usage... internet, email, word, xcel, power point, music, games (mostly PC) and DVDs, more or less in that order. I have an external HD so I imagined I'd get the 100Gb running at 7200 rpm. I'll eventually add an extra Gig of RAM, but not for a while.
post #7 of 25
Quote:
Originally posted by SquireM
I going on a trip for work and it would be very helpful to have. As for usage... internet, email, word, xcel, power point, music, games (mostly PC) and DVDs, more or less in that order. I have an external HD so I imagined I'd get the 100Gb running at 7200 rpm. I'll eventually add an extra Gig of RAM, but not for a while.

oh... Except for the games and the other Microsoft shit (I use Adobe CS and Filemaker Pro instead) the same stuff I do with my 6 years old Pismo.

I won't recommend a 17" Lapzilla for a trip.
alles sal reg kom
Reply
alles sal reg kom
Reply
post #8 of 25
Quote:
Originally posted by Digital Disasta
I am waiting till August to buy a MBP. The main reason is because they are going to be 64bit chips. I would much rather have a 64bit chip and holding out for two months really isnt going to kill me anymore. I would wait, you said you didnt need one till mid august anyway. I think it would be worth the wait.

I would be very impressed by Apple if they are able to ship a Merom MBP in august.
alles sal reg kom
Reply
alles sal reg kom
Reply
post #9 of 25
Apple Roadmap = Intel roadmap

One of the major change with the intel partnership, is like unlike the old times, we know the roadmap of Apple. Considering that most of the design is performed by Intel, Apple gets the new technology whenever Intel will bring it on the table.

So if you want to know Apple future, look at Intel Roadmap. A merom is due this year. I don't know for august, but it's possible to see it for september.
post #10 of 25
I have a 15 1.5 PB that I've traveled with on overseas business trips and consider it to be as large as a person would want for travel. But then I'm 60+ and don't want the extra burden of a 17". (I also tend to buy a lot of stuff for family when on these trips and need the spare space and weight for purchases!)

In terms of a new processor, I agree that Apple will be releasing new chips as soon as Intel (and the competition) puts them on the market. It's going to be a major change for Mac users after the slow pace of the PPC world. Since I don't need to upgrade on an urgent basis I'm waiting until Merom gets released and the production has settled down I figure that around Feb/Mar 07 the MBP should be one fast notebook, more than justifying the upgrade.
Ken
Reply
Ken
Reply
post #11 of 25
And why not seeing some Conroe MacBooks PRO.

If the processor is so powerful and without a lot of dissipating energy it will be easy to plug it into a MacBook already running an Intel Core Duo. The solution will be more powerful than the Merom due at the end of the year,

So Merom for MacBooks and Conroe for MBP...could be nice!
post #12 of 25
My bet is october for new MBPs
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Reply
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Reply
post #13 of 25
Quote:
Originally posted by Bizmac
And why not seeing some Conroe MacBooks PRO.

If the processor is so powerful and without a lot of dissipating energy it will be easy to plug it into a MacBook already running an Intel Core Duo. The solution will be more powerful than the Merom due at the end of the year,

So Merom for MacBooks and Conroe for MBP...could be nice!

Yea, and considering the heat that the current MBP's already give off, it could also cause a trip to the hospital.
post #14 of 25
Can I get a new POWERMAC before the MacBooks get a new upgrade please?
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
Reply
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
Reply
post #15 of 25
Quote:
Originally posted by Northgate
Can I get a new POWERMAC before the MacBooks get a new upgrade please?

Sure, they are still for sale.
alles sal reg kom
Reply
alles sal reg kom
Reply
post #16 of 25
Quote:
Originally posted by Bizmac
And why not seeing some Conroe MacBooks PRO.

If the processor is so powerful and without a lot of dissipating energy it will be easy to plug it into a MacBook already running an Intel Core Duo. The solution will be more powerful than the Merom due at the end of the year,

So Merom for MacBooks and Conroe for MBP...could be nice!

It would probably produce about double the heat of a Merom notebook. Not that a notebook couldn't be done, only that it would need a fan, a large case, be heavy and have shit battery life. Other than that, it would rock. Merom will be pretty sweet if it lives up to Intel's predictions. No need for Conroe notebooks. But if that's what you're looking for, some pc vendor will probably make one.
post #17 of 25
Heres my dilemma... I'm looking at getting a MBP, but I wont be getting one until i've sold my current PM G5, PC and iBook so that i can afford it.

It will probably be 20 - 30 days until I've sold these Items, and each day its getting closer and closer to a MBP update.

THe 15" MBP came out in January, so by the time I look to buying one, they will be 6months old - which is a bit too close to an update for my liking.

Looks like I'll have to sell the PMG5 before the price plummets on arrival of the new Intel Mac Pros, and then live with my PC until the MPB is updated

PowerBooks used to get updates between September and October, i'll assume it stays similar now with MBP... I can wait a few months...I think!
0.03 posts per day...
Reply
0.03 posts per day...
Reply
post #18 of 25
Quote:
Originally posted by ecking
My bet is october for new MBPs

So Apple's just going to sit on their ass for two months while Dell, HP and Sony ship Merom laptops?

This is the new world of Intel, people. Apple announced Yonah products within days of their competitors and they'll do the exact same thing for Merom (and every other major chip Intel ever ships).
Attention Internet Users!

"it's" contraction of "it is"
"its" possessive form of the pronoun "it".

It's shameful how grammar on the Internet is losing its accuracy.
Reply
Attention Internet Users!

"it's" contraction of "it is"
"its" possessive form of the pronoun "it".

It's shameful how grammar on the Internet is losing its accuracy.
Reply
post #19 of 25
Quote:
Originally posted by Ensign Pulver
So Apple's just going to sit on their ass for two months while Dell, HP and Sony ship Merom laptops?

This is the new world of Intel, people. Apple announced Yonah products within days of their competitors and they'll do the exact same thing for Merom (and every other major chip Intel ever ships).

Exactly. How the hell are they gonna sell $2500 MBP with yonah when pc vendors will have $1500 merom notebooks? Powerdoc hit the nail on the head when he said 'Apple's roadmap is Intel's roadmap'. I think merom notebooks will at least be sold (orders taken) in August.
post #20 of 25
Quote:
Originally posted by ecking
My bet is october for new MBPs

But what about regular MacBooks?
What happens when the Unstoppable Force hits the Immovable Object?

Answer: Chuck Norris dies.
Reply
What happens when the Unstoppable Force hits the Immovable Object?

Answer: Chuck Norris dies.
Reply
post #21 of 25
If you need it in August, then that's when you'll buy it.

Otherwise, you don't really need it.
post #22 of 25
I just want the MBP to add the following

1) Much higher resolution display
2) A Firewire 800 port
3) Additional 2 USB 2.0 ports
4) S-Video Out
post #23 of 25
What I really want to see is a complete redesign of its casing.
//JSY
Reply
//JSY
Reply
post #24 of 25
Quote:
Originally posted by JackSYi
What I really want to see is a complete redesign of its casing.

That's what really needs to be done to solve some of the design's deficiencies (heat, accessibility to internal components, limited opening angle, etc.)
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
Reply
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
Reply
post #25 of 25
Quote:
Originally posted by Northgate
Can I get a new POWERMAC before the MacBooks get a new upgrade please?

damn! that's some acronym.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › MacBook Pro in August?