or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Gorebot 2008!

Gorebot 2008!

post #1 of 191
He's baaaaaack. mmmmust____beeeee______prrrressident.

There's been a lot of talk lately about Al Gore running again in 2008. He denies it, but listening to him in interviews I am fairly confident he's going to "get drafted" to "save the party from Hillary."

He's already re-invented himself to be the anti-Gorebot. He's back to the southern drawl and relaxed, regular guy Al Gore who was a victim of the media, consultants and his opponents portraying him as a stiff. See, Al Gore is really a likeable, loose guy. He's even making jokes now! "I used to be the next President of the United States" he quips as he promotes his movie.

Gore really has something going for him here. Unlike Hillary, he did not support the war and will not have a problem with the party's liberal base. His focus on the environment with "An Inconvenient Truth" has erased a lot of the perceptions of him from 2000...namely that of someone who went "scorched earth" after the election. He still commands a great fundraising advantage, so even with him telling everyone he's not running, he can enter the race late and make up the difference.

Some are even comparing Gore to Nixon.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/m...z1e02louv.html

Will Gore run? Would he win? Would you vote for him?
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #2 of 191

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

post #3 of 191
The one huge advantage that Gore will have (from a tactical perspective) is that everything "bad" that can be said about him, probably already has been. It's out. Nothing new to be said. I suspect that dragging out any of those things will look tired and cynical even to a rather obtuse and dense electorate.
post #4 of 191
Something from the article that ought to concern D's (or the "anyone but R's" crowd) is this:

Quote:
He also states that Al would say that Democrats need to do much more to organize greater numbers of young people who by huge percentages preferred Al Gore in 2000.

They best not pin their electoral strategy on that. In general "young" people don't vote.
post #5 of 191
This is exactly why I don't want to live through another election cycle with Al Gore on the ticket. Not that I don't think he'd make a fine president. He would.

But the title of this thread is exactly what's wrong with the idea.

Earth toned suits, baby. Earth tones. Because real men don't wear earth tones.
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
post #6 of 191
Quote:
Originally posted by Northgate
This is exactly why I don't want to live through another election cycle with Al Gore on the ticket. Not that I don't think he'd make a fine president. He would.

But the title of this thread is exactly what's wrong with the idea.

Earth toned suits, baby. Earth tones. Because real men don't wear earth tones.

Have a sense of humor.
post #7 of 191
Anyone remember the controversial "Clipper Chip" supported by Al Gore during the Clinton Adminstration? This was designed with the capability of spying on American citizens. Gore even lied about its use
We already have an adminstration that's steeped in Orwellian methods. Why trust another whore to Big Brother just because he's from the other side of the political aisle?
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
post #8 of 191
Quote:
Originally posted by sammi jo
Why trust another ... just because he's from the other side of the political aisle?

In my view, the best, most realistic strategy for "the people" and the country is for congress to be "controlled" by one party and the WH by another.

I don't really care which has which. My goal is political gridlock.

While I tend to subscribe to the Noam Choamsky theory that we don't really have two parties, but two branches of the same party, there is still enough of a difference and "infighting" to create gridlock. Let 'em fight amongst themselves in Washington, and get nothing done...leaving the rest of us to live our lives.

EDIT: If you really pay attention to what the Founding Fathers appear to have been doing, it seemed they were trying to lobotomize the (federal) government. They were quite wary of any particular sector having too much power. So far their plan has worked fairly well.
post #9 of 191
Yeah. Worked great until about six years ago.
post #10 of 191
Quote:
Yeah. Worked great until about six years ago.

The constitution stopped working 6 years ago?

Maybe you should alert the media.

post #11 of 191
You said: They were quite wary of any particular sector having too much power. So far their plan has worked fairly well.

So my point was if Republicans are in control of each sector starting in 2000 then the plan stopped working.

Got it?
post #12 of 191
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Cuilla
In my view, the best, most realistic strategy for "the people" and the country is for congress to be "controlled" by one party and the WH by another.

I don't really care which has which. My goal is political gridlock.

While I tend to subscribe to the Noam Choamsky theory that we don't really have two parties, but two branches of the same party, there is still enough of a difference and "infighting" to create gridlock.

I subscribe to the Chomsky view as well... the "other side of the polical aisle" comment referred to a more symbolic division than a real one... and both major parties close ranks with equal as soon on any issue that might divest some power back to their employers, the much forgotten people. I see the "two party system" as analogous to the two humps on the back of a large undersea creature that remains hidden beneath the waves. The direction the two humps move is the contolling animal wants to go..(towards the nearest shoal of gobblable fish perhaps?). One guess as to what that largely invisible creature represents....

Quote:
Let 'em fight amongst themselves in Washington, and get nothing done...leaving the rest of us to live our lives.

More noticeable than two parties being in opposition, the conflict appears more to be within party ranks... the Dems are traditionally the ones who usually suffer from internal bickering..but the usually unified Repubs are even getting in on the act now.

I cant quite decide whats worse, Al Gore or Hillary Clinton. It's a tough call, but either would be fodder for the continuation of more of the current effluent, just with a slightly different smell. But bad, nonetheless.
post #13 of 191
Quote:
You said: They were quite wary of any particular sector having too much power. So far their plan has worked fairly well.

So my point was if Republicans are in control of each sector starting in 2000 then the plan stopped working.

Got it?

Got it.

You're wrong.

One particular sector of government (legislative, judicial, executive) doesn't have control over the other (though each occassionally makes run for it). The system is still working just fine.
post #14 of 191
Quote:
but the usually unified Repubs are even getting in on the act now.

Which we should welcome. This is what's great. Maybe they'll get bogged down in their own bickering.
post #15 of 191
Quote:
Originally posted by SDW2001
He's baaaaaack. mmmmust____beeeee______prrrressident.

There's been a lot of talk lately about Al Gore running again in 2008. He denies it, but listening to him in interviews I am fairly confident he's going to "get drafted" to "save the party from Hillary."

He's already re-invented himself to be the anti-Gorebot. He's back to the southern drawl and relaxed, regular guy Al Gore who was a victim of the media, consultants and his opponents portraying him as a stiff. See, Al Gore is really a likeable, loose guy. He's even making jokes now! "I used to be the next President of the United States" he quips as he promotes his movie.

Gore really has something going for him here. Unlike Hillary, he did not support the war and will not have a problem with the party's liberal base. His focus on the environment with "An Inconvenient Truth" has erased a lot of the perceptions of him from 2000...namely that of someone who went "scorched earth" after the election. He still commands a great fundraising advantage, so even with him telling everyone he's not running, he can enter the race late and make up the difference.

Some are even comparing Gore to Nixon.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/m...z1e02louv.html

Will Gore run? Would he win? Would you vote for him?

Pssst! Someone needs to tell SDW that Gore has already said he won't run.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
post #16 of 191
Quote:
Originally posted by jimmac

And by the way I do have a sense of humour!
post #17 of 191
And he's no longer a bot. Just a regular seditionist like the me.
post #18 of 191
The "I used to be the next president of the United States" joke was probably the funniest thing any presidential candidate or President has ever said.
post #19 of 191
Quote:

Not exactly.

Gore hasn't made a Sherman statement just yet.
post #20 of 191
Rolling Stone: Was the 2004 Election Stolen?
http://www.rollingstone.com/news/sto...lection_stolen
post #21 of 191
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Cuilla
Something from the article that ought to concern D's (or the "anyone but R's" crowd) is this:

They best not pin their electoral strategy on that. In general "young" people don't vote.

i hate to say it, but it really is true. kerry had the young vote, too... for all the good it did him. and the exit polls at first had him leading, because the young people love making their opinion known to anyone who cares (or doesn't. see also: blogosphere) but hinging your campaign on the just-turned-eligible-and20-somethings-in-college just won't work. it's when those folks get into the work force, and they SEE and FEEL where their tax dollars work, then they care.

and yes, i realize this officially makes me "old."
When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

post #22 of 191
Dean had the young vote in Iowa, too. And the little bastards let us down, again.

I don't EVER want to hear another Democrat running for office talk about how the young people are going be the key to their success. Young people talk a good game. But in the end going to the polls and actually pulling the lever is a major pain in the ass when playing PlayStation2 is far more entertaining.
post #23 of 191
gore is soooo popular that his "movie" doens't even list him in the credits ha ha ha hmmmm i guess some people don't like him or perhaps his negatives are enough that hollywood doesn't want to lose money on him ha ha ha ha
i wonder what he says about this ...... it's bush's fault, oh no maybe hilliary payed off someone to keep him away from her constituents. ha ha
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
post #24 of 191
I would vote for Gore in a heartbeat.
proud resident of a failed state
post #25 of 191
Quote:
Originally posted by NOFEER
gore is soooo popular that his "movie" doens't even list him in the credits ha ha ha hmmmm i guess some people don't like him or perhaps his negatives are enough that hollywood doesn't want to lose money on him ha ha ha ha
i wonder what he says about this ...... it's bush's fault, oh no maybe hilliary payed off someone to keep him away from her constituents. ha ha

Are you OK?
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #26 of 191
post #27 of 191
gore's only relevance is to take from hilliary you wait both will be at each other throats for not being "liberal" enough both will run to their left and hilliary shows her true colors. it will be an entertaining fight. anyone have popcorn for the fight not for his "movie"

he's missing from the poster credits
http://newsbusters.org/node/5738
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
post #28 of 191
Quote:
Originally posted by groverat
I would vote for Gore in a heartbeat.

I would also.
post #29 of 191
Quote:
Originally posted by Benton
Rolling Stone: Was the 2004 Election Stolen?
http://www.rollingstone.com/news/sto...lection_stolen

Oh shut up.
post #30 of 191
Quote:

Is there anything you'd like to contribute to the discussion, or are you just here to derail the thread?

I addressed the fact that Gore said he "wasn't running." in my original post. Get some reading glasses.
post #31 of 191
Quote:
Oh shut up.

The first standard response of BushCorp drones is to tell the opposition to shut up. The follow up is name-calling. On occasions it happens in reverse.
post #32 of 191
Quote:
The first standard response of BushCorp drones is to tell the opposition to shut up. The follow up is name-calling. On occasions it happens in reverse.

Right, like you using "BushCorp drones" right before saying that their "follow up is name-calling."
post #33 of 191
Anybody who doesn't think that an election can be rigged or stolen within the United States is either completely naive or in a deep state of denial.
post #34 of 191
Quote:
Anybody who doesn't think that an election can be rigged or stolen within the United States is either completely naive or in a deep state of denial.

Anybody who doesn't think that an election has be rigged or stolen within the United States is either completely naive or in a deep state of denial.
post #35 of 191
Quote:
Originally posted by Outsider
Anybody who doesn't think that an election has be rigged or stolen within the United States is either completely naive or in a deep state of denial.

or perhaps, ignorant on the issue. I didn't really believe it, before skimming the RS article above. I am now interested in seeing a full, official investigation.
post #36 of 191
Quote:
Originally posted by thuh Freak
or perhaps, ignorant on the issue. I didn't really believe it, before skimming the RS article above. I am now interested in seeing a full, official investigation.

Like that will ever happen. Not with the Reds in control of everything.
post #37 of 191
Quote:
Oh shut up.

post #38 of 191
Quote:
Is there anything you'd like to contribute to the discussion, or are you just here to derail the thread?

I addressed the fact that Gore said he "wasn't running." in my original post. Get some reading glasses.

Funny from what I read he was pretty clear about not wanting to run.

So maybe there's hope yet?
post #39 of 191
Quote:
Funny from what I read he was pretty clear about not wanting to run.

So maybe there's hope yet?

PS. If I was trying to derail the thread I'd concentrate on a completely seperate subject over and over. Just like you and Chris are doing in that other thread.
post #40 of 191
Quote:
Originally posted by groverat
Right, like you using "BushCorp drones" right before saying that their "follow up is name-calling."

fair enough
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Gorebot 2008!