or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Can indie labels have non-DRM music on iTunes?

Can indie labels have non-DRM music on iTunes?

post #1 of 7
Its said often that Apple has DRM on its music because of big media. Fair enough. This got me wondering whether an independent music label can ask Apple to sell its music without DRM, much in the same way that eMusic? If they can't then Apple has more to answer for than orginally though.

I would be curious if anyone manages to get an answer to this question.
post #2 of 7
You can strip the DRM quite easily with JHymn anyway. DRM is stupid and pointless because if it came to it, you could easily transcode the media.

I would think Apple would let you sell unlocked media but can't you enquire directly to them?
post #3 of 7
Since the DRM is added locally by the iTunes client after downloading, it is unfortunately a requirement. I agree that Apple should let producers decide whether they want this to happen.
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally posted by Chucker
Since the DRM is added locally by the iTunes client after downloading, it is unfortunately a requirement. I agree that Apple should let producers decide whether they want this to happen.

it doent add drm to podcasts, so it is a flag, turn the flag to null
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
post #5 of 7
Even when Apple has given stuff away for free, public domain material like audio from Presidential debates, campaign speeches, Senate hearings and the like, those things have been DRM protected. It's just an automatic thing that your local copy of iTunes adds DRM keyed to your iTunes account as downloaded files come in, and I guess there's no flag (and I can't see Apple ever bothering to create such a thing if it's not there already) to turn this DRM-ing off.
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally posted by a_greer

Podcasts don't come from Apple's own servers, however, the same way music on the iTunes Music Store does. All you're getting when you subscribe podcasts is the info iTunes needs to go out and get podcast episodes directly from whatever websites host them.

As far as I can tell, if what you're obtaining via iTunes is a purchase from the iTMS library (or even a freebie from the same source) it doesn't look like there's a way to turn DRM off, and there won't be unless Apple decides being able to sell some stuff without DRM is worth a special effort -- a prospect which seems very unlikely to me.
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally posted by a_greer

Podcast's aren't sold or downloaded from the Music Store, afaik. It downloads them directly from the Podcast website.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Can indie labels have non-DRM music on iTunes?