or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Official World Cup Thread

Official World Cup Thread

post #1 of 556
OK. It's about 24 hours until the madness officially begins, so that means it's high-time for prediction time. I am part of a Thursday night gentlemens' betting organization known as the PPC (nothing to do with PowerPC), and I have assembled a list of popular bets with odds that will be used in tonight's meeting.

So here goes:

Outright Winner:
England, Italy, Netherlands

Top Scorer:
Van Nistelrooy, Rooney, Shevchenko, Gerrard, Luca Toni

Groups:
A - Germany wins, Germany & Poland go through.
B - England wins, England & Sweden go through
C - Netherlands wins, Argentina & Netherlands go through
D - Portugal wins, Mexico & Portugal go through
E - USA wins, Italy & USA go through
F - Brazil wins, Brazil & Australia go through
G - Switzerland wins, France & Switzerland go through
H - Ukraine wins, Spain & Ukraine go through

Most Group Goals:
A - Poland
B - England
C - Netherlands
D - Portugal
E - Czech
F - Brazil
G - France
H - Ukraine

Most Cards in Group Play:
Mexico, Ghana, Argentina

I am also going to go ahead and proclaim that the Semifinal matches will be:

1. Netherlands v. Ukraine
2. England v. Brazil

Enjoy!
Cat: the other white meat
post #2 of 556
Group F: If they get their act together after their last game, Japan will go through with Brazil. Japan is the only team in the group to give Brazil any trouble.

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

post #3 of 556
Group F is hard to predict. Japan definitely has better chances than a lot of people estimate. Their team is well coached and very well conditioned.
post #4 of 556
Great opener. Germany have defense troubles, but what goals!!!

Looking forward to England getting totally stuffed by Paraguay tomorrow.

Have a couple of students from Holland working with me for 6 weeks, so im officially supporting Holland this time.
post #5 of 556
Yes, a very nice opener. I so wanted to see a tie, though.

post #6 of 556
Quote:
Originally posted by MarcUK

Looking forward to England getting totally stuffed by Paraguay tomorrow.

Have a couple of students from Holland working with me for 6 weeks, so im officially supporting Holland this time.

There's an English-themed pub nearby that is putting on a breakfast tomorrow (we are five hours behind GMT). I might go, since it's a two minute walk from my apartment.

Peter Crouch hat trick!
post #7 of 556
Quote:

Actually, Germany have Klose, Ballack and Lehmann. This is, what counts
in the end, boy.

Finale:
Germany vs. Argentinia
Germany wins 3:1

Semi-Finale
Brasilia vs. Italy
Brasilia wins 4:2

Mark my words.
" I will not commit anything to memory that I can get from another source . . . "
ALBERT EINSTEIN
" I will not commit anything to memory that I can get from another source . . . "
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #8 of 556
I'm with Barbara - was thinking Brazil would win but after watching the match it is clear Germany have a great chance.

It's not so much the attack or the dodgy defence - it's that they have somehow finally rediscovered the old German spirit. The 'we cannot lose we are Germany' vibe.

And they can only get better.
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
post #9 of 556
I don't know about Germany. That a weak team could score 2 goals and almost mount a comeback (at 3-2)against them is testament of how weak Germany is. I've maintained it all along.

That said...Segovius could be right. It's a short tournament and any of the powers could get on a hot streak and then...lookout.

Germany could certainly grow and win some matches and then get into the knockout stage and somehow manage to win.... ugly...or via penalty kicks. With just enough.

My prediction of teams that could get hot like this....Germany, Brasil, France, USA (yeah), England and the argies.

I want someone who's never won it to win....if Brasil doesn't win it that is.
post #10 of 556
Germany got a bit physical and tried rather direct body checks against CR, only to have their own players drop to the pitch... it looked to show a bad precedent for how things are going to go, but the result was rather funny.

I agree that Costa Rica really gave them a go; perhaps Germany is not the real powerhouse some people think. (They were outclassed by Japan recently in a rather big way). I jjust hope they don't go completely physical and lead the entire tournament that way.

post #11 of 556
Is it my imagination, or was CR's second goal actually a German own-goal?

Edit: oops. Caught a different angle. It's clearly not an own-goal.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
post #12 of 556
Quote:
Originally posted by Gilsch
I don't know about Germany. That a weak team could score 2 goals and almost mount a comeback (at 3-2)against them is testament of how weak Germany is. I've maintained it all along.

But both of CR's goals were because they were stupidly running an offside trap that failed. And Germany dominated the entire game.

Just because the score was close doesn't mean the game was.
post #13 of 556
FWIW I really like the Czechs. I'm tipping Nedved to do for the Czechs what Zidane did for France in 1998.
post #14 of 556
Go Italia!

Italy 3 Brazil 2 in final
post #15 of 556
Quote:
Originally posted by mmbarthez
Go Italia!

Italy 3 Brazil 2 in final

I'm not sure if it's possible for Italy and Brazil to meet in the final. I'll run through it again, though.
post #16 of 556
Quote:
Originally posted by Splinemodel
I'm not sure if it's possible for Italy and Brazil to meet in the final. I'll run through it again, though.

Interactive Predictor
post #17 of 556
Quote:
Originally posted by segovius
I'm with Barbara - was thinking Brazil would win but after watching the match it is clear Germany have a great chance.

It's not so much the attack or the dodgy defence - it's that they have somehow finally rediscovered the old German spirit. The 'we cannot lose we are Germany' vibe.

And they can only get better.

I think if Germany sort out their defense they could go all the way, but if they have a defense like that, against a better opponent, they would get hammered. Costa Rica had what? 3 shots on target, and scored 2 of them.
post #18 of 556
Quote:
I think if Germany sort out their defense they could go all the way, but if they have a defense like that, against a better opponent, they would get hammered. Costa Rica had what? 3 shots on target, and scored 2 of them.

It partly comes down to the new ball though doesn't it?

Did you see the way it swerved on Frings goal? Not even Ronnie usually hits them like that - when he gets in free kick positions But I digress....

I'm not saying the German defence isn't dodgy or the ball was responsible for the goals but more that FIFA have maybe stacked it a bit so there are exciting attacking games. World Cup openers are usually 0-0 - maybe most games this tournament will be high scoring and teams that focus on attack and don't worry so much about defence will be favoured.

Remember both Brazil and real Madrid have traditionally had this attitude -if they score two, well score three. Maybe Germany have consciously adopted this style.
post #19 of 556
^^^

As long as it makes exciting games, Im all for it. Go Holland!!
post #20 of 556
Halftime England vs. Paraguay and it stands at 1-0. Looks like the high favorites are havign a hard time making ends meet against a much lower-ranked team.

The crowd is amazing: they boo at everything, possibly even their own booing. They were even noisy during the Paraguay anthem.

post #21 of 556
Quote:
Originally posted by Bergermeister
Halftime England vs. Paraguay and it stands at 1-0. Looks like the high favorites are havign a hard time making ends meet against a much lower-ranked team.

The crowd is amazing: they boo at everything, possibly even their own booing. They were even noisy during the Paraguay anthem.

I don't think we we've seen the world cup winners there.

Paraguay were very, very poor.
post #22 of 556
Outright Winner:
Argentina, England, Spain

Top Scorer:
Ronaldinho, Rooney, Shevchenko, Klose, Messi

Groups:
A - Germany wins, Germany & Ecuador go through.
B - England wins, England & Paraguay go through
C - Argentina wins, Argentina & Netherlands go through
D - Portugal wins, Mexico & Portugal go through
E - Italy wins, Italy & USA go through
F - Brazil wins, Brazil & Japan go through
G - France wins, France & South Korea go through
H - Spain wins, Spain & Ukraine go through

Most Group Goals:
A - Germany
B - England
C - Argentina
D - Portugal
E - Italy
F - Brazil
G - France
H - Ukraine

Most Cards in Group Play:
Mexico, Ivory Coast, Argentina
post #23 of 556
Ecuador and Paraguay are better than Poland and Sweden respectively, I don't know why people think otherwise!
post #24 of 556
Quote:
Originally posted by soulcrusher
Ecuador and Paraguay are better than Poland and Sweden respectively, I don't know why people think otherwise!

post #25 of 556
Quote:

oh right, it's the eurocentrism.
post #26 of 556
Quote:
I don't think we've seen the world cup winners there.

I don't think so too.
ALBERT EINSTEIN
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #27 of 556
Paraguay wasn't that good, but then neither was England, whom I should have more clearly called the favorites in their group. Neither will take the cup.

Two questions about proceedures:

1) How is it decided which team will stand still and which team will walk during the initial handshake?

2) In the WC, do players who get yellow cards (England got two!!!) miss the standard one game?

Gotta go watch Sweden vs. Trinidad and Tobago. Thank god today is Sunday (kickoff is 1:00am here).

EDIT: What's with all the trash on the screen (S vs. T&T)? It's sometimes hard to tell which blob is the ball and which is trash.

post #28 of 556
England vs. Paraguay. . . what can I say. . . It looks like England had a case of Real-Madrid-itis. In other words, they were trying to score the perfect goal and were over using the flanks. Why Sven took out Owen and Joe Cole is beyond me, considering that Joe Cole was the biggest spark out there today. Gerrard had a few opportunities that he wasted by passing rather than shooting, but Lampard did have a couple of very nice shots and he forced the keeper to make some very good saves.

It's too early for me to write-off England, but there's certainly a lot of room for improvement. One thing that really upset me, though, was the young, Mexican referee who showed us that he doesn't know how to call a game of top players. There were several clean tackles which he chose to whistle down, most notably a Crouch tackle at center field. In the Mexican league, a lot of players are out for blood, but I would hope that there's a little bit more mutual respect among national teams playing in the World Cup. He might wind up England more than any of the teams they face.

As for Ecuador and Paraguay being better than Sweden and Poland, Ecuador did beat Poland, but you'd be hard pressed to find an unbiased voice that agrees with that sentiment. Sweden has some very high-caliber players at elite clubs, and whether you like it or not, as long as the money in Europe is better, it will always attract the best from around the world. . . especially in its top leagues.

Lastly, next game I watch I'm going to turn off the sound and listen to the English (BBC?) commentary from Sirius radio. I hope there's not too much lag.
post #29 of 556
Quote:
As for Ecuador and Paraguay being better than Sweden and Poland, Ecuador did beat Poland, but you'd be hard pressed to find an unbiased voice that agrees with that sentiment. Sweden has some very high-caliber players at elite clubs, and whether you like it or not, as long as the money in Europe is better, it will always attract the best from around the world. . . especially in its top leagues.

No one is arguing that the South American leagues are better than the European.

What I am arguing is that Ecuador and Paraguay as national teams are better than Poland and Sweden. It might be the case that player-by-player Poland and Sweden are better but that does not make them a better team.

Look at Spain, always underperforming in international competitions when most of its players play in the top teams of the top leagues.

Ecuador beat Poland in a fair game, Ecuador is better than Poland.

We will see how Paraguay vs. Sweden goes.
post #30 of 556
And now that Sweden cannot even beat Trinidad and Tobago, I am positive that Paraguay is the better team.

European football just sucks.
post #31 of 556
England were utter shite, thats why I cant get excited about supporting them.

After watching the last 25 minutes of Tinidad Tobago vs Sweden, thats the sort of spirit England miss. A great exciting game. England are so boring. Hopefully T&T play like that against England and give them a good thrashing.
post #32 of 556
Hopefully Ivory Coast thrash Argentina. Hand of God still hurts
post #33 of 556
Ugh. That was pitiful. The first red card of the Cup, too.

Sweden had nice control, but screwed up every time they tried going in the middle in front of the goal. Otherwise, both teams were very passionate.

It's 3:00 am; shouldn't have stayed up to watch that. Sad, but looks like England will take the group fairly easily. (No, I don't like England. Period.)

post #34 of 556
Quote:
England vs. Paraguay. . . what can I say. . . It looks like England had a case of Real-Madrid-itis. In other words, they were trying to score the perfect goal and were over using the flanks. Why Sven took out Owen and Joe Cole is beyond me, considering that Joe Cole was the biggest spark out there today. Gerrard had a few opportunities that he wasted by passing rather than shooting, but Lampard did have a couple of very nice shots and he forced the keeper to make some very good saves.

The game was boring and bad. England were awful IMO. They were lucky to "score". Neville and Ashley Cole were "horripitiful". And Erickson is one of the worst managers of any national team in the world(I've said that for years). With so many good players at his disposal, this team should be much better.

And I agree about the ref. He was calling the game like an AYSO (American Youth Soccer Organization for our foreign friends) game.
post #35 of 556
Great play, Argentinia vs. Cote d'lvoire. (2:1)
Argentina wasn't that uber-team, everybody was suggesting.
ALBERT EINSTEIN
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #36 of 556
Quote:
Ecuador beat Poland in a fair game, Ecuador is better than Poland. . . European football just sucks.

If they played ten games, then you'd have a point.

European football is far too defensive for its own good, but with players like Ronaldinho going to the press about how the refs should protect him (and they do) European teams have to be defensive. (For the record, I have a lot less respect for Ronaldinho after I heard that.) FIFA needs to learn a lesson about officiating from rugby -- not that rough play should be awarded, but that the referee shouldn't have to put up with appealing, and that he should expect play to be gentlemanly rather than brutish. In the 3rd leagues this might not work, but for the World Cup there no excuse to be stopping play every thirty seconds just because weak-kneed players can't hold on to the ball when they should have had the sense to get rid of it.

As far as European football sucking, we will see which team wins in a few weeks. Hint: it's not going to be a South American team aside from Argentina or Brazil, which play a higher class game than the rest of the nations in south and central america. It's not even through round one of the group stage yet.

Quote:
Originally posted by Vox Barbara
Great play, Argentinia vs. Cote d'lvoire. (2:1)
Argentina wasn't that uber-team, everybody was suggesting.

Argentina played alright, but Ivory Coast just played better than anyone expected, I suppose. Ivory Coast has a really solid team, and that was the match that I had circled for the weekend as the one that would probably be the best. So far, it was. An african nation will win an upcoming World Cup before a central american nation does.
post #37 of 556
Quote:
it's not going to be a South American team aside from Argentina or Brazil

I could have told you that much.

Quote:
An african nation will win an upcoming World Cup before a central american nation does.

Not surprising, as Africa is many many times larger in population than Central America. Plus, some of the african players play football for their survival, literally.

I also wonder how long it will take for this to happen as, until now, African teams have failed to be consistently good over the years. African football, as a whole, has been improving but where are the African teams that participated in the previous world cups?
What happened to Cameroon? Nigeria? Senegal?
post #38 of 556
Quote:
I also wonder how long it will take for this to happen as, until now, African teams have failed to be consistently good over the years. African football, as a whole, has been improving but where are the African teams that participated in the previous world cups?
What happened to Cameroon? Nigeria? Senegal?

Africa as a whole brought up some very very talented
guys. But you know, the team organisations are missing some basic
skills. What a piti.
ALBERT EINSTEIN
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #39 of 556
Quote:
Originally posted by Vox Barbara
Africa as a whole brought up some very very talented
guys. But you know, the team organisations are missing some basic
skills. What a piti.

Yeah, would have loved to see Eto'o there.
post #40 of 556
I think people are rushing to conclussions based on a few results. Yes England looked anemic against Paraguay, but they got 3 points. Sweden actually looked better than England,IMO, yet only get 1 point. I thought Argentina looked the best team of the day, but they needed to play well because IC is a very difficult match for anyone. It's early no one really stumbled that badly. Even Sweden should still make it through.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Official World Cup Thread