or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Official World Cup Thread

Official World Cup Thread - Page 4

post #121 of 556
Quote:
Originally posted by segovius
yes - can you believe that the coach is going to start him again on Sunday???

It's unbelievable. I've been reading a couple of Brasilian newspapers and the online polls want Ronaldo to start....on the bench.

I only remember him running ONCE the time he spent on the field. Once.

A commentator said that Brasil started the game with only 9 players since Ronaldo and Adriano didn't play. lol
post #122 of 556
Quote:
Originally posted by Splinemodel
I can understand that it looked like a foul from where he was, but in the replays it is a very clear non-foul.

You can see in the replays that the Ukrainian was pulling Villa's shorts. The referee saw that and then he went up to the defender and made the pulling gesture.

Pulling from the uniform is a foul, that's it, doesn't matter if it affects the play or not.
post #123 of 556
Quote:
Originally posted by soulcrusher
Not only that but you can have up to half of COMMEBOL coming to the World Cup, as it should be.

Ok, we're gonna have to disagree here. Half of Conmebol (not Commebol...at least get the terms right)???

I guess you didn't know that almost half of CONMEBOL gets the chance to qualify.The fifth position in the south american qualifiers gets to go to the "repechaje" against the winner of the Oceania qualifiers....

The minnows of Uruguay lost to Australia. So if Uruguay is not good enough to beat Australia.....
post #124 of 556
Quote:
Originally posted by SpcMs
I don't like to quote myself but...

:-P

Oh, they'll make it. If they make it out of the group, which isn't unlikely still, they get to play a crap team from group G. Then it's the QFs.

Quote:
Pulling from the uniform is a foul, that's it, doesn't matter if it affects the play or not.

There was a lot of uniform pulling [all but that incident] that went uncalled. I highly, highly doubt that the very mild tug on the shorts was even the impetus for the penalty. And following up on Gilsch, half of Conmebol does go to the World Cup, most of which promptly exits.
Cat: the other white meat
post #125 of 556
well that was a few seconds of excitement in the germany-poland match.. at 89 minutes 2 shots off the woodwork and a disallowed goal, all in 10 seconds....and as I type they score 91st minute!!!!
post #126 of 556
Germany, my heart is Beating and beating

Jeez, what a match, finaly8)
" I will not commit anything to memory that I can get from another source . . . "
ALBERT EINSTEIN
" I will not commit anything to memory that I can get from another source . . . "
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #127 of 556
Quote:
I guess you didn't know that almost half of CONMEBOL gets the chance to qualify.

Dude, that's just what I said.

Quote:
most of which promptly exits.

Let's look at the last 5 World Cups

(# of CONMEBOL teams that qualify/ number that go to second round)

Mexico 1986 - 4/4
Italy 1990 - 4/4
USA 1994 - 4/2
France 1998 - 5/4
Japan/Korea 2002 - 5/2

So, in only one of the last 5 world cups did most of CONMEBOL promptly exit.
post #128 of 556
ALBERT EINSTEIN
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #129 of 556
Quote:
So, in only one of the last 5 world cups did most of CONMEBOL promptly exit.

I apologize, as I mistakenly lumped in Concacaf, since the discussion originated as "American" teams. Even so, there's a disturbing trend there. Who will qualify this year out of America? Brazil, Argentina, Ecuador, Mexico? There's a good chance that might be it.
post #130 of 556
Quote:
Originally posted by Gilsch

A commentator said that Brasil started the game with only 9 players since Ronaldo and Adriano didn't play. lol

As i said: Shadows of them self
ALBERT EINSTEIN
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #131 of 556
I believe that there is a high chance for all CONMEBOL teams (Brazil, Paraguay, Ecuador and Argentina) to go to the second round.

CONCACAF is known for its crappy football so I do not expect much from them. I still wish that Costa Rica beats Ecuador tomorrow.
post #132 of 556
Quote:
Originally posted by MarcUK
well that was a few seconds of excitement in the germany-poland match.. at 89 minutes 2 shots off the woodwork and a disallowed goal, all in 10 seconds....and as I type they score 91st minute!!!!

Uhmm... now, i think there will be the inevitable match

Germany vs. England

in the next round. Wow.
ALBERT EINSTEIN
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #133 of 556
actually, I have a question about that.

For the english, is there a greater rivalry between England and Germany or England and Argentina?
post #134 of 556
Quote:

For the english, is there a greater rivalry between England and Germany or England and Argentina?

Germany, but I hope Germany win. Also hope T&T beat England tomorrow.
post #135 of 556
Quote:

England and Germany
It is always like an endgame.
ALBERT EINSTEIN
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #136 of 556
Quote:
Germany, but I hope Germany win. Also hope T&T beat England tomorrow.

How comes?

Germany vs. England is not sure, but chances are I am assuming
that England will lose against Schweden, and come in second.
ALBERT EINSTEIN
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #137 of 556
Quote:
Originally posted by Vox Barbara
How comes?

Because this country is shit, and so are most of the people living here.

And our players are a bunch of overpaid, underachieving pussies.

Go Holland!
post #138 of 556
Quote:
Because this country is shit, and so are most of the people living here.

Well, i love this country, especially the south-west
and welsh part. It is so beautiful and so the people
are. I spent a good time hopping from castle to castle.
Once i met an elderly true lady, who was/is running a bed an'
breakfast. We're still in touch with each other, writing cards
once in a while.

Aberystwith in the very west is amazing.
ALBERT EINSTEIN
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #139 of 556
Quote:
Well, i love this country, especially the south-west
and welsh part. It is so beautiful and so the people
are. I spent a good time hopping from castle to castle.

hehe I live in the south-west. I just hate people generally
post #140 of 556
Quote:
hehe I live in the south-west. I just hate people generally

Uhmm well i just have no arguments against that,
except the ones you've probably heard 1000 times
before. Anyway, cheers... I am collapsing NOW
ALBERT EINSTEIN
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #141 of 556
No comments on the Spain game? That was crazy! Spain are looking deadly. I've got a friend who put $100 on them to win the cup. I'm not sure what the odds were before the cup started though. Since they have this habit of collapsing/choking and have never won it before, I'd say the odds would have been good.

EDIT: OK, there were plenty of comments on it. This thread moves too fast for me
post #142 of 556
Quote:
Also hope T&T beat England tomorrow.

I can't believe Marc and I are on the same side of an issue.

If Trinidad does the unthinkable tomorrow, you'll hear the cheering across the planet.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #143 of 556
I said it above, and a couple of people are saying similar things. I don't like England, period, so I hope T&T win 5-0.

Sverige will beat England, and that will put them aqt the top.

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

post #144 of 556
Quote:
Originally posted by Frank777
I can't believe Marc and I are on the same side of an issue.

If Trinidad does the unthinkable tomorrow, you'll hear the cheering across the planet.

Prepare for more shock and horror: I'm on board too

Go T&T!

<rant>Mrs Segovius is German and yesterday we settled down to watch the build-up to the game. You know, talk of the teams, gossips from the camps, review of the possibilities ahead etc and you know what? You guessed it - virtually no build up at all practically every single minute of pre-match airtime about ENGERRLUND

Why God why?

They even do this in my home country Wales ffs

This is why I want them out - so we can at last have some discussion of other teams in the tournament. It's pathetic.
</rant>

Another thing: on the BBC they have this dickhead pundit called Alan Hansen who was a very bad player and is an even worse analyst. Ok, fair enough - he's Scottish (though he is one of those Scots that want to be English - from Edinburgh - and for whom everything English is a gift from God) BUT whatever happens, he cannot find a good word to say about Germany.

He even named them as one of his worst teams of the tournament!!!!

I think T&T will draw this afternoon - England play very badly against such teams and there are many in that side who know the English style well - especially if (when) they resort to hoofing the long-ball up field and chasing it.

England are also psychologically very frail as well as a bad side and there is always the issue of the press waiting to pounce on any mistake., This always contributes imo - remember Northern Ireland

I think 1-1 then Paraguay/Sweden draw 1-1 also.

Paraguay win by more than one (or T&T win!) and Sweden beat England in the next one and it's hasta luego
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
post #145 of 556
Just hearing on the radio Ronaldo has been taken to hospital - looks like he is suffering from a similar thing to the last WC where he blacked out before the big game.....
post #146 of 556
Double posted.

Rumors in Japan say lots of the matches are suffereing form bad refereeing. Not that I know much about it, so was wondering what everyone thinks.

post #147 of 556
Quote:
Originally posted by Bergermeister
Rumors in Japan say lots of the matches are suffereing from bad refereeing. Not that I know much about it, so was wondering what everyone thinks.

This is just a rumour. In nearly all cases (what? 14 matches
until yesterday?) the referees were right. Well, almost always.
I don't want to go over the top though.
Amazing, but true. The only exception was the play
between Ukraine and Spain. But you know, referees are
human, too. This is a trivial argument, but so true in sports.

Generally and over all, and this is that counts, these black (uhmm, yellow)
guys blew a whistle pretty good so far. Don't believe the rumours in Japan.

EDIT:
I just got the hunch that Japanese journalists threw a monkey wrench...

ALBERT EINSTEIN
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #148 of 556
Just wanted to let you know, that i put the beer
into the fridge right now.

Argggggggg... still another 2 hours ...

England there is a lot at stake today.
ALBERT EINSTEIN
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #149 of 556
I really want England to win, because everyone in the place I live and all my friends will be very happy.
post #150 of 556
Quote:
Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah
I really want England to win, because everyone in the place I live and all my friends will be very happy.

Really?

ALBERT EINSTEIN
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #151 of 556
Quote:
Just hearing on the radio Ronaldo has been taken to hospital - looks like he is suffering from a similar thing to the last WC where he blacked out before the big game.....

The fatty was probably stuffing himself with candy. Too much sugar in his blood and he passed out.
post #152 of 556
Now playing England and T&T...

min 3: Jones lost his right shoe, takes one minute to put in
on again ...

some tv shots are showing desperate fans

min 8: England plays long passes all the time, they all
don't reach other players.
England seem to be a wee bit confused...
ALBERT EINSTEIN
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #153 of 556
Quote:
Now playing England and T&T...

min 3: Jones lost his right shoe, takes one minute to put in
on again ...

some tv shots are showing desperate fans

min 8: England plays long passes all the time, they all
don't reach other players.
England seem to be a wee bit confused...

If they don't stop talking about Rooney every five minutes I'm going to go doolally.....
post #154 of 556
Quote:
If they don't stop talking about Rooney every five minutes I'm going to go doolally.....

Segovius, just stop watching. Watch with the sound down. Watch in Spanish.
post #155 of 556
Reckon T&T had the best of the half there.

Still don't see any justification for the hype, England look so ordinary - I just can't see it.....
post #156 of 556
Man, I have to laugh at how pitiful England are playing. I think it's a reflection of how awful Sven is as a coach. His player selection makes Gerard Houllier look like a genius.

How many games did Ashley Cole play prior to the cup coming from injury? Same with Owen.

Crouch is not a goal scorer and he's not as dominant in the air as one would think. Carragher shouldn't be a starter on any elite teams. And Sven wanted to play him as a ball holding midfielder (???). Keep in mind I'm a huge Liverpool fan...but neither Carra nor Crouch should be starting.

Then we have Beckham....I'm 50-50 on this one. This guy used to be able to make 50-60 yard passes with millimetrical accuracy....

Sven is leaving after the WC. Too bad for England it's coming 2 years too late.
post #157 of 556
Quote:
Reckon T&T had the best of the half there.

Still don't see any justification for the hype, England look so ordinary - I just can't see it.....

I agree....but I don't think T&T played better than England. The score could very easily be 1-0 to England if Owen hadn't done...what he did that rebound and Crouch hadn't done...that awful thing...with the goal at his mercy.

Should be 2-1 to England. If one is generous with this boring, mediocre half.
post #158 of 556
I would pay to hear an MP3 of what's being said in the English locker room right now.
post #159 of 556
Quote:
The fatty was probably stuffing himself with candy. Too much sugar in his blood and he passed out.

As good as an analysis as your Copa America's.
post #160 of 556
Another crap performance by England. Useless.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Official World Cup Thread