or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Official World Cup Thread

Official World Cup Thread - Page 5

post #161 of 556
I don't think this English team in particular is very vocal...except for maybe John Terry. Owen's quiet, Gerrard same, Lampard same, Beckham same...Terry's probably in disbelief of how bad they actually are as a team....and wanting to tear Sven's head off.
post #162 of 556
Hey MarkUK, what do you think? TT presses England
into their own half. A bunch of cobblers, postmen and
halftime country players versus a 100.000.000$ Team.
Amazing.
" I will not commit anything to memory that I can get from another source . . . "
ALBERT EINSTEIN
" I will not commit anything to memory that I can get from another source . . . "
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #163 of 556
Props to T&T for a great game. They did what they had to do and even came close to sscoring!

Gerrard's goal was something else. Props to Stevie G. who has got to be exhausted after 63 plus games for Liverpool this season alone. 63!!

Crouch finally scored on a header. Crouch should be a sub in my opinion. He's someone who can give you a totally different dynamic in a second half. Lennon made Jamie C. look ordinary. AGain, as an LFC fan I love Carra, but he shouldn't be starting.

Beckham...what can I say...great cross for Crouch's header but little else for 90 minutes. His crosses were horrendous except for one or two...and when that is what he's in there for, it's not good enough.
post #164 of 556
Quote:
Originally posted by Gilsch

Beckham...what can I say...great cross for Crouch's header but little else for 90 minutes. His crosses were horrendous except for one or two...and when that is what he's in there for, it's not good enough.

The entire english Squad looked tired and worn out, if you ask me.
The play was a blamage for England.
ALBERT EINSTEIN
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #165 of 556
Quote:
Originally posted by Vox Barbara
Hey MarkUK, what do you think? TT presses England
into their own half. A bunch of cobblers, postmen and
halftime country players versus a 100.000.000$ Team.
Amazing.

I think England are a bunch of cocks and TT did themselves proud.
post #166 of 556
Quote:
Originally posted by MarcUK
I think England are a bunch of cocks and TT did themselves proud.

Well. In this condition i believe Germany will
have a walk-over (assuming E vs GER in the 2. round.)
ALBERT EINSTEIN
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #167 of 556
Quote:
Speaking about Spain is beatin' up dead horses.

Hmmm... shall I warm up that humble pie now or wait

God, Brazil look as if they aren't even trying so far. Boring!
I like your tone Marc
post #168 of 556
Hey guys
1. what are decent squads in the tournament?
2. And what is the sleeper team of the tournament?

1. Argentinia, Spain, Tzech, Germany

2. Ecuador, Italy
ALBERT EINSTEIN
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #169 of 556
Quote:
Originally posted by MiMac

God, Brazil look as if they aren't even trying so far. Boring!
I like your tone Marc

Hey get a grip on yourself, England is beautyful
(maybe not that team)
ALBERT EINSTEIN
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #170 of 556
Quote:
Originally posted by MiMac

Uhmm, well i mull over...
ALBERT EINSTEIN
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #171 of 556
After that match, I think England are going to win the whole thing.

That has to sound crazy as all hell... but I get this feeling that regardless of who they are against, England are a team that will play just a little bit better than their opponent. England will beat Sweden 1-0, then beat Ecuador 1-0, etc, making them the most boring team to win the Cup. ever. Blame Sven.

Brazil didn't look any better against Croatia, so it's not like there's any runaway team out there aside from maybe the Czechs, who probably don't have enough strike power without Baros to easily beat a top team. I hope that they manage to get back at least Koller for the Italy match.
Cat: the other white meat
Cat: the other white meat
post #172 of 556
Quote:
Originally posted by Splinemodel

That has to sound crazy as all hell... but I get this feeling that regardless of who they are against, England are a team that will play just a little bit better than their opponent. England will beat Sweden 1-0, then beat Ecuador 1-0, etc, making them the most boring team to win the Cup. ever. Blame Sven.

Brazil didn't look any better against Croatia, so it's not like there's any runaway team out there aside from maybe the Czechs, who probably don't have enough strike power without Baros to easily beat a top team. I hope that they manage to get back at least Koller for the Italy match.

What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
post #173 of 556
Quote:

That has to sound crazy as all hell... but I get this feeling that regardless of who they are against, England are a team that will play just a little bit better than their opponent. ...

ALBERT EINSTEIN
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #174 of 556
Quote:

Tis possible that is what they are doing, I did wonder it, perhaps they are playing as needed in a cold corperate manner, saving their energy for later games.

I'm not a big footie fan really, but I always thought it was meant to be a game of spirit and passion. I'd rather support a no hoper team that had spirit and passion than a £100 million corperate entity.
post #175 of 556
Quote:
Originally posted by MarcUK
I'm not a big footie fan really, but I always thought it was meant to be a game of spirit and passion. I'd rather support a no hoper team that had spirit and passion than a £100 million corperate entity.

Well, the English players have got to be exhausted. Maybe there is a little bit of "saving themselves" for the latter stages....if any just a tiny little bit. The Premiership has too many teams and they play too many games....not to mentioin how physically demanding it is. Heck, when everybody else is resting during X-mas the English league is the only league in the world that keeps playing.

The Liverpool players for example, have played in excess of 60 games. Think about it...60 games. The Chelsea players played a lot of games too.

And about the corporate entities...it could be worse. You could be a Brasilian and your team selection could be heavily influenced (dictated?) by Nike. I.e Ronaldo.
post #176 of 556
Quote:
Well. In this condition i believe Germany will
have a walk-over (assuming E vs GER in the 2. round.)

Nah. It won't be a walkover considering the history that England and Germany have in the World Cup and England's traditionally slow start in the competition.

I think that Spain are going to win, by the way.
post #177 of 556
Spain looks strong. One of my other favourites for winning is Argentina.

They are on in 10 minutes!
Bill Bradley to comedian Bill Cosby: "Bill, you are a comic, tell us a joke!"
- "Senator, you are a politician, first tell us a lie!"
post #178 of 556
Quote:
Originally posted by New
Spain looks strong. One of my other favourites for winning is Argentina.

They are on in 10 minutes!

NOW

Btw, if Brasilia get rid of "Round"aldo, than you
have to count them with.
ALBERT EINSTEIN
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #179 of 556
oh..

1-0 after 6 minutes...
post #180 of 556
Argentina just got their second goal... wonderful passwork, best of the tournament maybe.

Still in the first half.... will this end at under 4-0?

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

post #181 of 556
3 Goals in one half, each goal beats the other! Jeez.
Argentinia shows tremendous powerful football.
I am puzzled entirely. Heck, who can beat them?
ALBERT EINSTEIN
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #182 of 556
Quote:
3 Goals in one half, each goal beats the other! Jeez.
Argentinia shows tremendous powerful football.
I am puzzled entirely. Heck, who can beat them?

They look really good, although Serbia and Montenegro aren't the most aggressive team. I think Holland might be able to beat them, if they're organised enough, and I think Spain might, because they're capable of outscoring them, if anyone is... Brazil could, because they're pretty awesome, but I can really see Argentina doing damage to the Brazilian defence.

And then of course, there's England...

oh nothing.
post #183 of 556
OK, scrub that: Argentina are really good.
post #184 of 556
6-0

'nuff said.

post #185 of 556
Messi

post #186 of 556
Uh-oh, if England don't win their group - ie lose to Sweden - they will be in the same half of the draw as Argentina and meet them if they get through to the quarter finals.

I suppose they would have to beat Ecuador or Germany first (which is far from likely on current form so far) but it does put all the hype in perspective.

I liked the headline in one of today's German newspapers: "Rooney fails to walk on water".

post #187 of 556
Netherlands-Ivory Coast are on now.

N play dirty (including pathetic play-acting) as hell, IC are trying hard.

We are rooting for IC.

post #188 of 556
Ivory is out. Damn what a piti!
ALBERT EINSTEIN
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #189 of 556
Yeah, the argies are the real thing. It's a mediocre WC and I think so far there's only 3 teams that have looked good. Spain, Czech Rep. and the argies.

Ivory Coast should've tied the argies and beaten the dutch. Shame that they're out so early.

Netherlands looked worse than I thought they would. A lot of really childish mistakes on defense.
post #190 of 556
Ivory COast is out but they gave a whole-hearted try.

The Netherlands crowd also was booing almost as badly as the English fans. Sad. Real sad. We cut the sound off because it was so bad.

post #191 of 556
Quote:
It's a mediocre WC and I think so far there's only 3 teams that have looked good. Spain, Czech Rep. and the argies.

This WC is far from mediocre. I don't no what you mean.
Spain Czech, Argentinia and who else?
ALBERT EINSTEIN
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #192 of 556
The US did not play.... so I am not sure how good the Czechs are. The Argies did not really play that well against the Ivory Coast, who have now lost twice. Still 6-0 is hard not to take notice of. The 3 teams that I believe are the best are Spain, Argentina and Ecuador. My final is Spain beating Argentina. Still most of the South American teams are not tall and could lose if some of the taller EU teams start crossing the ball with some accuracy. My only bet is Mexico making it further than England. Both should make it to the second round, England coming out second in their group then losing to Ecuador. Mexico winning their group and beating Netherlands. I love three matches aday.

reg
post #193 of 556
Quote:
This WC is far from mediocre. I don't no what you mean.
Spain Czech, Argentinia and who else?

I can;t understand the mediocre view - it's got to be one of the best World Cups for decades so far. Usually the group games are shadow boxing - we've had none of that.

You've got to put Italy on that list and Ecuador are a revelation - we're only just on the second group matches remember....

Anyway, imo, it is miles better than last time in Japan when teams like Korea were not progressing on merit and no-one packing a whistle was above suspicion.
post #194 of 556
Quote:
Originally posted by segovius
I can;t understand the mediocre view - it's got to be one of the best World Cups for decades so far. Usually the group games are shadow boxing - we've had none of that.

For decades? I didn't know you were that old. I meant mediocre talent wise...in general. Collectively look at Germany, England, Netherlands, France, Portugal, Brasil.... so called "powers". Entertaining it has definitely been. We'll see who's right after a few more games or rounds.
Quote:
Anyway, imo, it is miles better than last time in Japan when teams like Korea were not progressing on merit and no-one packing a whistle was above suspicion.

I agree there. Japan/Korea was very mediocre...especially after the argies and french were eliminated in the first round. And that german team that made the it to the final...shouldn't have. They were lucky to beat the US who outplayed them a couple rounds earlier.
post #195 of 556
Quote:
Originally posted by reg
My final is Spain beating Argentina. Still most of the South American teams are not tall and could lose if some of the taller EU teams start crossing the ball with some accuracy.

Spain is well known to have good teams and then....how can I put it mildly....to choke. And crosses did bother argentina in a recent friendly vs. england....but argentina didn't have ayala who despite being relatively short can really jump.
post #196 of 556
I wonder why Serbia & Montenegro lost so badly against Argentina, do these guys have any experience against South American teams?

Argentina played really well, fast short passes into the box and then GOAL. That's very classy.

I wonder what Pekerman can say from today's performances by Tevez and Messi. Granted, they are great players and both scored but they came in when the match was already won. The ability of Tevez or Messi to turn around a game and win it is yet to be seen. At least they showed they are able to handle the pressure of the World Cup much better than RIbery. Neither one will be in the starting line-up against the Netherlands, Crespo and Saviola are good enough.

I think Mexico's tie against Angola is fair. And I noticed that Marquez is very good. His style is awfully like Cafu's, very neat.
post #197 of 556
Quote:
I meant mediocre talent wise...in general. ...

I still don't no what you mean. I don't want to
bother you with that stunning list of names, that already exists.
Pick it up by yourself.

I saw a couple of teams, which comprise some very
compelling talents (individuals) AND who
are working together brilliantly as a team.
That's what i call talent.
ALBERT EINSTEIN
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #198 of 556
Quote:
Originally posted by soulcrusher
I wonder why Serbia & Montenegro lost so badly against Argentina, do these guys have any experience against South American teams?

Quote from the S&B coach:

"Today also shows that the qualifiers and the World Cup finals are two completely different things. You have to face different types of teams and the results are there for all to see. Im not blind. "
post #199 of 556
Quote:
Pick it up by yourself.

The WC is mediocre so far. Heck, Euro 2004 was far better.
'L'enfer, c'est les autres' - JPS
'L'enfer, c'est les autres' - JPS
post #200 of 556
Quote:
Pick it up by yourself.

Well, I thank you for not bothering me.
Quote:

There you go. "A couple". Thanks for making my point for me. I'm sure you didn't see any teams full of "names" who are playing like crap as teams? That's what I would call mediocre.

Soulcrusher: Marquez has grown into a great player. No wonder he's so important to the european club champs. In today's game I think we could see that he easily rates a little higher than the rest of his compatriots.

The argies are looking good to do a lot of damage.... I don't know if anyone noticed but the schedule has been extremely kind to them allowing them to play their 3 first round games in 11 days. Others like Brasil and Spain for example will play 3 games in 9 days.

Then in the next round they'll play weak teams (at least on paper and from what they've shown so far) such as Portugal( perpetual underachievers) or Mexico.

Even though it's a little too early to tell,as of right now.... I think it's their WC to lose.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Official World Cup Thread