or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Official World Cup Thread

Official World Cup Thread - Page 6

post #201 of 556
Quote:
Originally posted by Gilsch
Well, I thank you for not bothering me.
There you go. "A couple". Thanks for making my point for me. I'm sure you didn't see any teams full of "names" who are playing like crap as teams? That's what I would call mediocre.

Soulcrusher: Marquez has grown into a great player. No wonder he's so important to the european club champs. In today's game I think we could see that he easily rates a little higher than the rest of his compatriots.

The argies are looking good to do a lot of damage.... I don't know if anyone noticed but the schedule has been extremely kind to them allowing them to play their 3 first round games in 11 days. Others like Brasil and Spain for example will play 3 games in 9 days.

Then in the next round they'll play weak teams (at least on paper and from what they've shown so far) such as Portugal( perpetual underachievers) or Mexico.

Even though it's a little too early to tell,as of right now.... I think it's their WC to lose.

well
" I will not commit anything to memory that I can get from another source . . . "
ALBERT EINSTEIN
" I will not commit anything to memory that I can get from another source . . . "
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #202 of 556
Quote:
Originally posted by Gene Clean
The WC is mediocre so far. Heck, Euro 2004 was far better.

in your humble opinion.
ALBERT EINSTEIN
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #203 of 556
Quote:
Originally posted by Vox Barbara
in your humble opinion.

It's as humble as yours. And no amount of ethno-centrism will make it look better.
'L'enfer, c'est les autres' - JPS
post #204 of 556
Quote:
It's as humble as yours. And no amount of ethno-centrism will make it look better.

ALBERT EINSTEIN
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #205 of 556
USA vs. Italy
stunning 1:1 after first half
American squad seems to be changed entirely,
excellent effort as a team. fight against italy at full blast.
If they had a really good top scorer, they would have
scored 2 or 3 more goals.

Uhhh, i've forgot to mention that both of the teams got
a red card for really bad fouls, well.

Off to 2. half, exciting...
ALBERT EINSTEIN
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #206 of 556
Quote:

Ouch.

USA USA USA! Gutsy performance by the boys. Could've gone either way. And after today's performance by Ghana...it's gonna be hard. Sets up a very nice last day of play for this group though.
post #207 of 556
That was the most hilarious game so far...
Bill Bradley to comedian Bill Cosby: "Bill, you are a comic, tell us a joke!"
- "Senator, you are a politician, first tell us a lie!"
post #208 of 556
Yes, the Americans were like a different team.. couldn't have gotten worse than the last match, though, so they had only one way to go.

However, this match was really pathetic in its fouls, red cards and funny-faced coaches. Fouls everywhere with players throwing up their hands trying to claim it wasn't them who had done it.

A sad, sad, sad game for soccer. Nobody who watched that game as their first soccer game would ever takea liking to the sport.

We were not rooting for either teams, but early on thought the US was looking good and Italy was loking snobby, so we started rooting for the US. After a while, however, we started rooting for red cards.

How many players can get sent off and still have the game continue?

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

post #209 of 556
Quote:
Originally posted by Bergermeister
How many players can get sent off and still have the game continue?

If there are just 6 players left, than the ref. finishes the game.
I don't no, what's going to happen than, but there is probably
a rule for that case
ALBERT EINSTEIN
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #210 of 556
Quote:
Originally posted by New
That was the most hilarious game so far...

Hilarious in what sense? Hilarious faces, hilarious decisions?
I'd say it was just weird and somewhat edgy
ALBERT EINSTEIN
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #211 of 556
Hilarious how? It was a fun game to watch. Both teams tried to score...sure the fouls were dirty and there was some diving...but why is that so surprising? It was the italians who were playing after all. The italians and the argentines are the masters of diving and trickery...Gattuso is funny in that regard. Touch him and he'll fly like he stepped on a land mine.

A little harsh on your criticism there Bergermeister.

As for the number of players....I believe the rules state that it's a minimum of 7 players.
post #212 of 556
Quote:
Hilarious how?

It looked more like hockey than soccer in the end. The US really made the italians look like a bunch of overpaid primadonnas... I wish I could say good game, but it wasn't.

post #213 of 556
I don't know where to look and say "this is the reason why the officiating has been so miserable." I'm not so sure it's the officials themselves. If anything, the "edict" sent by the German co-ordinators is to blame. It was foolish, foolish, foolish to make said edict and expect the rules to be enforced well all of the sudden -- I feel like Nike has paid off FIFA so that everything plays into their [absolutely moronic] "Joga Bonito" campaign.

Lastly, one of the main points in the edict has been no diving. When a player slides in with a boot high, I am glad that it's an abrupt yellow, but so far, no cards for diving. If there were, half the Italian team would have been sent off today. (some exaggeration, yes.)

Quote:
Originally posted by New
It looked more like hockey than soccer in the end. The US really made the italians look like a bunch of overpaid primadonnas... I wish I could say good game, but it wasn't.

It was a milestone US performance. If you're American, you have to at least look at this in a positive light.
Cat: the other white meat
post #214 of 556
I was with a group of about 40 to watch the games today. To say emotions were flying would be an understatement. When the Italian got the red card first most thought that we (US) had the game in hand. After the second US red I was glad we were not at my house. Everyone was jumping around and beer was spilled like summer thunderstorm. Still being a man down for almost a full half, the US played better and had more chances than Italy. To come out with the tie was great. I feel like I will be horse for a week.

reg
post #215 of 556
Had a meeting and just turned on the J-C game a minute before half-time. The highlights sadly don't pose well for Japan; C is really working them. However, Kawaguchi is earning a pay raise with his saves. On BBC's site there is a poll over Kawaguchi. 43 percent think he's too small for the big time. Sorry, but British football isn't ready for him; he is outclassing them all.

post #216 of 556
How about them Brasilians?

In all the years I've been a Brasil fan I can't remember the last time I've seen a Brasil team play so poorly....collectively of course.

I think the root of the problem is their very conservative coach and his player selection. That includes selecting players waaay past their primes. Ronaldo is but a shadow of himself. That play where he missed the ball altogether after Kaka set him up? The Ronaldo of old would've buried it. The ROnaldo of last year would've buried it.

There's a ridiculous amount of pressure on Ronaldo....not another player in the world has probably ever endured that...from the press, the fans, his own president even...but the guy is out of shape, out of form and I wonder how much he actually tried to get into shape.

This Brasil team is broken. Every play feels like they all agreed to meet somewhere at a specific time, but they forgot to sync their watches. Since Ronaldo, Adriano, Ronaldinho (yeah he's playing today...I think) and Kaka don't contribute much (at all?) on defense, Emerson (30yo) and Ze Roberto(32 yo) have to multiply themselves to help out some very shaky defenders (R Carlos has never been known to be a great defender, Lucio is better ATTACKING, and Cafu is looking very old all of a sudden...he's 36 after all).

Where is Fred? Where is Cicinho? Juninho Pernambucano? We've come full circle...where is the coach who picks the players?

Watch Brasil start a major overhaul of their team after this WC. Deadly mistake to assume this team could make another run at a WC.
post #217 of 556
Quote:
Originally posted by Splinemodel

Lastly, one of the main points in the edict has been no diving. When a player slides in with a boot high, I am glad that it's an abrupt yellow, but so far, no cards for diving. If there were, half the Italian team would have been sent off today. (some exaggeration, yes.)

I seem to remember a WC many moons ago ('86, maybe?) where they DID give yellows for diving. I'm frankly getting sick to death of these European teams flopping all over the place.

But dear god, that ref was awful.

And lastly: GHANA!!!!! They've been amazing in both games so far.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
post #218 of 556
I can't believe we lost that game

I thought we had it, and then we go and lose 2-0.

Sure, it's Brazil, but as Gilsch just pointed out, they were playing terribly... and we still lose.

I have to admit I did like seeing Ronaldo's airswing
post #219 of 556
Quote:
Originally posted by dojobi
I can't believe we lost that game

I thought we had it, and then we go and lose 2-0.

Sure, it's Brazil, but as Gilsch just pointed out, they were playing terribly... and we still lose.

I have to admit I did like seeing Ronaldo's airswing

I don't know if you "had it"....a tie maybe....

Yeah, that Ronaldo airswing caused a lot of heads to shake...or laughter. Still I just read a Brasilian sports daily describe Ronaldo as the one positive from the first half.(what????)

Unreal. It's not just in politics....we live in a bizarro world....

Australia still have a very good chance....good luck!
post #220 of 556
Yeah maybe I'm just a little over-enthusiastic atm The reason I thought we had it was mainly because we looked good in the first half and Brazil looked terrible. I suppose Brazil on a bad day is still better than Aus on a good day

That is very strange that they picked him as a positive The commentators here were talking about it being his last world cup based on his performance.

All we need now is a draw or better with Croatia
post #221 of 556
Quote:
Yeah maybe I'm just a little over-enthusiastic atm The reason I thought we had it was mainly because we looked good in the first half and Brazil looked terrible. I suppose Brazil on a bad day is still better than Aus on a good day

That is very strange that they picked him as a positive The commentators here were talking about it being his last world cup based on his performance.

There are quite a few Aussie players who either are from the former Yugoslavia or have parentage from there. Plus, the winner will, in all likelihood, moe on to the second round. I expect the Aussie-Croatia match to be BRUTAL. That's a good thing.
post #222 of 556
Quote:

Hey dojobo, i've said it once before: if the us squad had a good scorer
they would have won. The same with the Aussie squad. What a piti,
because the hype about the Brasilian team is way over the
top to say at least. A balanced squad will beat Brasilia this time
very easily. Say Spain, Argentinia, maybe Germany.
Brasilia have to gather the crisis squad soon, if they want to
survive the tournament any longer.
ALBERT EINSTEIN
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #223 of 556
Quote:
Yeah maybe I'm just a little over-enthusiastic atm

Nothing wrong with that man. Been a while. good for you.
Quote:

Not a positive...THE positive. lol It will be his last cup no matter what. At the rate he's going he'll look like Maradruga before they tied up his stomach a year or so ago. To "say at least".
post #224 of 556
France vs. South Korean 1:1

Hey com'on France, that's not your very self.
ALBERT EINSTEIN
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #225 of 556
Quote:
Hey dojobo, i've said it once before: if the us squad had a good scorer
they would have won. The same with the Aussie squad. What a piti,
because the hype about the Brasilian team is way over the
top to say at least. A balanced squad will beat Brasilia this time
very easily. Say Spain, Argentinia, maybe Germany.
Brasilia have to gather the crisis squad soon, if they want to
survive the tournament any longer.

I think you're right Vox. In their current form any of those teams would destroy Brazil.
post #226 of 556
Arabia vs. Ukraine has just finished and i have to admit,
that that was the worst kick i have ever seen in my life.
ALBERT EINSTEIN
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #227 of 556
SÃ*, SÃ*, SÃ*, nos vemos en BerlÃ*n!
post #228 of 556
Ukraine put in four, which is a good confidence boost for them. I still hold my original claim of a Netherlands v. Ukraine semifinal.

Spain continues to look great. This will certainly provide Korea with some extra motivation to try to beat Switzerland. Spain is playing with a lot of class and is an easy team to support.

As for France v. Togo, I bet Togo is going to win that match now.
post #229 of 556
Quote:
Spain continues to look great. This will certainly provide Korea with some extra motivation to try to beat Switzerland. Spain is playing with a lot of class and is an easy team to support.

Spain is looking good. But they have looked good in the past aswell...only to crash and burn. Just like Portugal.

I LOVED their one touch play at times during yesterday's game. Usually La Liga's play is more methodical...but this team at times played nice, precise and quick passing footie. I wouldn't mind one bit if they won it all. With 2 Reds players even.
post #230 of 556
I'm all for Ghana to toss everyone and win the Cup in their first appearance.

You never know, it could happen. Lots of better ranked teams ain't doin' so well (my favorites Japan as well).

Friday's match (Japan-Brazil) starts are 4:00 am. Luckily I got the day off! Hope they can still muster something, but, honestly, I have lost my enthusiasm.

post #231 of 556
Here's hoping Trinidad can pull it off, with a little help from their Commonwealth brethren.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #232 of 556
Great game England-Sverige. Great first half by England....great second half by Sweden....and that England defence looked VERY shaky in that second half.

Eriksson is a horrible coach/manager. Carragher shouldn't be starting for England on the right side....and to sub for Rooney and not for Crouchie who is useless if he's not dominating in the air was a very poor decision.

Rooney may be a little bit overrated, but he gives England more options in attack. Very good half by him actually. Fun game to watch. Nice goal by Stevie G.
post #233 of 556
Darn. Oh well. Where's my Brazilian flag?
post #234 of 556
Germany Germany Germany. Who can stop them now?
ALBERT EINSTEIN
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #235 of 556
Quote:
Germany Germany Germany. Who can stop them now?

Probably the same guys that stopped them in 2002.
post #236 of 556
Quote:
Eriksson is a horrible coach/manager.

The fact that the first half was such a blowout, and the second such a wimper, has got to be the greatest testament of all to Sven's sheer foolishness.

He may be a good manager for some sides, but he's clearly the wrong fit for England, and is too incompetent to be flexible enough to adapt to emphasize on England's strengths. If someone such as Sir Alex were the manager, it likely would have been a 4-0 drubbing, as they like to say.
post #237 of 556
Quote:
Probably the same guys that stopped them in 2002.

Brasilia? I don't think Brasilia goes through the final.
ALBERT EINSTEIN
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #238 of 556
England has not been capable of beating Sweden since, um, 1968. That is a rather long time, especially with all of the hawks saying how good England is. It just isn't so. (I recorded the match to watch tonight.) Check out the stats and compare Sweden and England, and they come out pretty even, with Sweden slightly edging England in all but short and long passes. England's crosses (mainly for their cpat and beloved Beckham) fall way short. Rooney is very over-rated and also England has now lost Owen.

Germany, also, is being over-rated. They had some severe fouls last night that were not called, and they just looked blah against a weak team. Sure, they managed three goals, but there was no life in the game. Germany - Sweden will be a great match, and I think it will be anybody's game. germany is going for the homecourt advantage and being lucky with favorable calls.

post #239 of 556
Quote:
Originally posted by Bergermeister
England has not been capable of beating Sweden since, um, 1968. That is a rather long time, especially with all of the hawks saying how good England is. It just isn't so. (I recorded the match to watch tonight.) Check out the stats and compare Sweden and England, and they come out pretty even, with Sweden slightly edging England in all but short and long passes. England's crosses (mainly for their cpat and beloved Beckham) fall way short. Rooney is very over-rated and also England has now lost Owen.

Big deal. Who cares if it's been 100 years. It's 10 games...but I guess saying 38 years sounds better eh? Pretty silly to flash that stat and then say how England aren't that good because they haven't beaten Sweden in 38 years.

And how convenient of you to leave out time of possession(55-45), shots on target(8-6) and total(14-9)= advantage England. ("Sweden slightly edging England in all but short and long passes" my ass).

As overrated as 20 year old Rooney is...I'll take him over ANY Swedish player...or Jap player for that matter...except for maybe Zlatan...maybe. And this is coming from a Liverpool fan who despises Man U....and Everton.
post #240 of 556
Quote:
He may be a good manager for some sides, but he's clearly the wrong fit for England, and is too incompetent to be flexible enough to adapt to emphasize on England's strengths. If someone such as Sir Alex were the manager, it likely would have been a 4-0 drubbing, as they like to say.

Can't disagree with you there. I watched the argentina-England friendly with argentinian commentators late last year, and they were very impressed with the amount of talent on the English side. It's up to the manager to mold the talent into a cohesive team. Eriksson has had enough time to do that and it's not even close. The first half must've been encouraging to the English fans...quite a contrast to the second half.

It pains me to say it as a Liverpool fanatic but Carragher should not be starting for the national team and neither should Crouch. Crouch is supposed to be dominant in the air...and he isn't....he doesn't score much and he's veeerrryy slow. Puzzling selection.

With Owen out...and Rooney not in match form yet...it'll have to be Crouch producing.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Official World Cup Thread