or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Official World Cup Thread

Official World Cup Thread - Page 7

post #241 of 556
Do remember I said above somewhere that "I don't like England. Period." and then take anything else with a grain of salt. I simply find them over-rated, over-paid and over-proud. The US is the same with baseball, which was great when they didn't do so well in the World Baseball Classic despite setting the play sheet in their favor (Japan took the honors, BTW).

Though I only had a few minutes this morning, I replayed the opening ceremony three times to check... you can hear whistling during the Swedish anthem, not the English. This has happened in several matches and is rather irritating. Also the booing that came after Owen twisted his ankle with no Swedish player within reach was, well, odd at best. There is no stat table for booing anybody and everybody. I have raised the issue of booing before and find lots of it in most of the matches. Is this normal?

Then there is the bashing of the coach. Oooh; the success or failure falls on one "easily" replaceable person (who happens not to be British). Japan lost a match and some reporter pointed out it could have been the coach's (Zico's) poor subbbing, but nobody bashed him; they focused on what the team on the pitch did or didn't do, because at the end of the day, it is they who win or lose the match.

About strikers, look at the stats again... I would prefer Larsson, Allbäck, Ljungberg or Nakamura, and though he hasn't played in the WC yet, Maki.

The one English player I kind of like is Crouch... not that he is good or anything, just that he is built like myself and it is impressive to see him risk his limbs for the game he loves! To lankiness!

Any way you look at it, England still has not beaten Sweden in a long time, and I don't get the impression they are too happy about that.

I still want Ghana to go far; they are fun to watch.

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

post #242 of 556
Quote:
Originally posted by Bergermeister
Do remember I said above somewhere that "I don't like England. Period." and then take anything else with a grain of salt.

Trust me....I for one take anything you say with a grain of salt. No offense. And you're free to dislike any team you want....but when you make silly statements or make up BS stats...be prepared to be called on it....like you just did.
Quote:
I simply find them over-rated, over-paid and over-proud.

We get it...you hate the English team. I doubt you've been a football/soccer fan for very long....so added salt because of that.
Quote:
Though I only had a few minutes this morning, I replayed the opening ceremony three times to check... you can hear whistling during the Swedish anthem, not the English. This has happened in several matches and is rather irritating.

Not the only fans that do that....not the last time it's going to happen. BFD.
Quote:
Also the booing that came after Owen twisted his ankle with no Swedish player within reach was, well, odd at best. There is no stat table for booing anybody and everybody.

Thank goodness there is no stat for that because 99.9999% of the fans don't....give a....about those kinds of things. Goodness....Booing: Sweden 40%-England 60%.
Quote:
I have raised the issue of booing before and find lots of it in most of the matches. Is this normal?

No it's not normal. Booing is unheard of in the rest of the world. In fact it's against the law in some countries and FIFA is considering a permanent ban on countries whose fans engage in that sort of thing. No really.
Quote:
Then there is the bashing of the coach. Oooh; the success or failure falls on one "easily" replaceable person (who happens not to be British). Japan lost a match and some reporter pointed out it could have been the coach's (Zico's) poor subbbing, but nobody bashed him; they focused on what the team on the pitch did or didn't do, because at the end of the day, it is they who win or lose the match.

I can't speak for the English...because I'm not. The only reason I'm even "engaging" you is because you're making such ridiculous and silly arguments I feel compelled to address them. The players follow tactics outlined by the manager. He is responsible for selecting the team and the best FIT players available. He's also responsible for positioning. For fans who have been following the game for a while, it's fairly obvious when a player is out of position or not fit. Under Eriksson, England has had but a handful of well played games.
And of course coaches are easily replaceable. It would be...stupid...to replace the whole team.
Most of the England players are proven players in previous WCs, or top European club tournaments. Tournaments which I doubt you've watched.
Quote:
About strikers, look at the stats again... I would prefer Larsson, Allbäck, Ljungberg or Nakamura, and though he hasn't played in the WC yet, Maki.

Of course you would. Too bad you have no clue what you're talking about. Which stats by the way? For your information....Ljungberg and Nakamura are NOT strikers.

I always liked Larsson..but he's old now and hardly played for Barça. Class act though. And Allback...lol..are you kidding me? This is a guy who played for Villa...somewhat...and scored a grand total of 6 goals in 2 years. And 4 goals for Hansa Rostock in Germany. You do realize Shrek...err... Rooney is only 20 right? Why am I even bothering with you?
Quote:
The one English player I kind of like is Crouch... not that he is good or anything, just that he is built like myself and it is impressive to see him risk his limbs for the game he loves!

All professional players risk their limbs playing the game they get PAID a lot to play.
Just curious...but how long have you been following the game?
post #243 of 556
Ok, I have to share this joke with you guys. As you guys well know, Japan's coach is Brasilian Zico. The former Flamengo, Udinese and Brasil star.
Anyways, I got this from a blog by one of Brasil's most famous sportswriters. I think it's quite fitting given Brasil's mediocre performances thus far.

So Zico phones Parreira(current Brasil manager/coach) to ask him for a little help for the next game. (Brasil vs. Japan)

"Brasil has already qualified to the next round and Japan hasn't. Think you could give us a hand?"

To which Parreira replies...."Ok Zico, what do you want? Do you want me to play the reserve players?"

Zico got really scared and yelled back: "No Parreira. Not the reserves!!!"

post #244 of 556
hahaha I like that.
post #245 of 556
How hard do you have to kick a penalty kick? I missed who took it for Mexico but it looked like he tried to blast it through a brick wall and missed high. I don't mind the booing as much as the dives that many of the players are taking. FIFA has reduced the slide tackles now they have to find a way to reduce the dives.

reg
post #246 of 556
Quote:
Originally posted by Gilsch
I watched the argentina-England friendly with argentinian commentators late last year, and they were very impressed with the amount of talent on the English side. It's up to the manager to mold the talent into a cohesive team. Eriksson has had enough time to do that and it's not even close.

Here's what Sven said during the halftime break (I'm guessing):

"Save your energy, don't get yellow cards, maintain 1-0 goal lead."

In other words: worry, worry, worry.

This was the wrong message. They were playing an overwhelmingly dominant and clean game during the first half. Bergermeister: check the first half stats. His message should have been, "do nothing different, you played extremely well, net another goal and bury them." And that's it.

Quote:
Originally posted by reg
How hard do you have to kick a penalty kick?

If depends who you are. If you're Shevchenko or Henry, you can kick it as hard as you want, since you have the most accurate shots in the world. If you're not, then you have to think about it a bit more. A lot of penalty kicks are scored from the side of the foot, so accuracy is more important than pace. If you can drill it with accuracy, then you deny the chance for the goalie to guess right.
Cat: the other white meat
post #247 of 556
I was just being cynical. The pressure was too much for Bravo. Mexico is also just as bad with taking dives. It seemed Perez was on the ground pleading anytime he lost the ball.

If things stay the way they are I will have missed 3 teams advancing, US, Japan and France. I was reading that they are averaging over 5 yellow cards per match. Portugal did not play 5 of their starters against Mexico because they had yellow cards. Who do you think will be most effected by players being out in the next round?

reg
post #248 of 556
Mexico is famous (infamous) for missing penalty kicks. The mexicans call it the "Mexican Curse". It's been going on for a while.
post #249 of 556
I don't know if anyone's watching Ivory Coast vs. Serbia & Montenegro, but even though they're losing 2-1 due to terrible defence errors, IC is in total control of the game. S&M has a player out as well. One of the best games so far, apart from USA vs Italy.

edit: 2-2 and 20 minutes left.

edit: 3 - 2 Ivory Cost win!
'L'enfer, c'est les autres' - JPS
post #250 of 556
Quote:
Mexico is famous (infamous) for missing penalty kicks. The mexicans call it the "Mexican Curse". It's been going on for a while.

Edit: they actually call it the "Aztec Curse". And no, it's not a variation of Montezuma's Revenge.
post #251 of 556
I was watching the Netherlands-argent. game. Someone should check how many players the argies have on the field. It looks like at least 14. Man, those guys do a lot of running. Everytime a dutch player got the ball he'd be crowded by 2 or 3 argies....quickly! Impressive.

0-0. Final score. Next up for the argies.....Mexico.

My prediction is 4-0.
post #252 of 556
Yeah they sure were impressive. I think they've just moved up a few notches in my head's world cup ladder
post #253 of 556
This is when I really begin to believe that there's an anti-USA conspiracy affecting the referees.

And even if there isn't where are the cards for diving? I swear, if Ghana's plane falls out of the sky and sinks to the bottom of the ocean, at least we won't be losing an honest bunch of players.
post #254 of 556
Except honesty has nothing to do with it. They're trained to do that. But if there's a bunch of players that goes to the extreme with that... its Italy. Man, what a bunch of diving sissies
post #255 of 556
At least there were fewer whistle today. I just think that the ref's made several mistakes but at least let both teams play more. Both Ghana goals were made because of poor play by the US. I don't think it was a foul in the box which lead to the second goal. Still the ball should not have been cleared in the middle. Now I can seat back and just watch instead of getting emotionally involved. My question for the US would be what happened to intensity that they had against Italy?

reg
post #256 of 556
Quote:
Originally posted by reg
My question for the US would be what happened to intensity that they had against Italy?

A little of it is undoubtedly to do the fact that they wore themselves out in the Italy match. The rest is that Ghana kept stopping play with penalties, which is an intelligent if unsporting tactic.

Well, the mission is clear for 2010: we need to develop or import blood-thirsty strikers.
post #257 of 556
Quote:
Originally posted by Gene Clean
Except honesty has nothing to do with it. They're trained to do that. But if there's a bunch of players that goes to the extreme with that... its Italy. Man, what a bunch of diving sissies

I once had a "discussion" with an argentinian journalist. After going back and forth on a couple of topics we agreed on a couple of things...one of them being a tie for first place for best divers between Italy and argentina. Probably the two dirtiest countries when it comes to soccer/football.

About the US game....what can I say. Ghana is a much quicker team and Reyna gave the ball away in a very dangerous position and paid for it twice.

That phantom penalty....no comment.
post #258 of 556
Calling Bergermeister. . .

I gave out a cheer for Japan about an hour ago, but I'm afraid that, for the second time "all they have done is awaken a sleeping giant."

This time, though, the giant is very different.

Quote:
Originally posted by Gene Clean

Obviously. But this is what happens when the game is softened and the rules tighen up: more diving, more dishonesty, and more sneaky, dirty play. I'd rather see brutal challenges than this nonsense, even if it means a few more injuries, and that Brazil will lose the luxury of superfluous dribbling.

I still think there's a conspiracy. . .
post #259 of 556
Well I'm glad Australia's through to the next round. I think we really need to get more normal play goals. We seem to be relying on penalty kicks to get our points.

I think we got unlucky with lots of calls in the penalty box. That one where Simunic grabbed Viduka and tackled him to the ground like it was a rugby game was the worst call of the match. There were other things like uncalled handballs and the 3 yellow cards incident on Simunic too. Terrible job by the ref.

Bad referreeing aside, I think Simunic is one of the dirtiest players in the game. What's amusing though is that he was born in Sydney, grew up in Sydney, trained at the Australian Institute of Sport in Canberra (at our taxpayer's expense), then he says he "feels" Croatian, so plays for them. They can have him I say.

Here's a pic of the rugby tackle in the box -

post #260 of 556
Quote:
I once had a "discussion" with an argentinian journalist. After going back and forth on a couple of topics we agreed on a couple of things...one of them being a tie for first place for best divers between Italy and argentina. Probably the two dirtiest countries when it comes to soccer/football.

Dude, Mexico is up there this year. At least they got carded for it.
post #261 of 556
Quote:
Originally posted by tonton
Dude, Mexico is up there this year. At least they got carded for it.

Does anyone remember when Jurgen Klinsmann was still playing? It was amazing. You'd graze his ankles and he'd fall with his back arched, howling like you'd shot him in the goolies. Cheating bastard. The weird thing was he was such a nice, admirable human being in nearly every other way (and still is probably) and a really great footballer. Hmm.
post #262 of 556
Quote:
Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah
You'd graze his ankles and he'd fall with his back arched, howling like you'd shot him in the goolies.

haha, you don't know how close I came to spitting coke everywhere just then.
post #263 of 556
Quote:
Originally posted by Splinemodel
Calling Bergermeister. . .

I gave out a cheer for Japan about an hour ago, but I'm afraid that, for the second time "all they have done is awaken a sleeping giant."

Oh, well. Just like I hope for an Apple sub-notebook, I can always hope that Japan will win. In the end, it doesn't really bother me one way or another; soccer only attracts my interest every four years and then only for a couple of weeks.

As someone noted, the Japanese team seems to drop off after something goes wrong, and certainly did in this match. However, they have made it to the cup three times in 12 years, which ain't bad; they still have to learn a bit. I wonder how bad the problems amongstthe players really were...

Personally, I was happy to see Maki play, as he worked hard to get on the team and to be fielded against Brazil must have been a dream come true for him, regardless of the results. Kawaguchi was awesome, again (as usual?). For a GK a poll on the BBC criticizes as being too small to play in the big leagues, he does pretty dag-gone good. Wonder if that poll is actually trying to say something else...

post #264 of 556
Quote:
For a GK a poll on the BBC criticizes as being too small to play in the big leagues, he does pretty dag-gone good. Wonder if that poll is actually trying to say something else...

Maybe, maybe not. There are a few oriental players in the EPL and I don't think there's too much discrimination there. However, pretty much all the goalies in the EPL are very tall. In the rest of europe, it's the same way. You have a big disadvantage at set-plays when you're a small goalie.
post #265 of 556
Quote:
Maybe, maybe not. There are a few oriental players in the EPL and I don't think there's too much discrimination there. However, pretty much all the goalies in the EPL are very tall. In the rest of europe, it's the same way. You have a big disadvantage at set-plays when you're a small goalie.

Cool. Must say the same report suggested a growing number of people think Kawaguchi should be given a second chance (he once played in England but was let go fairly quickly... honestly don't know any details so I can't say more). It was sad, though, that he had to shine as he did; had the rest of the team played at his level, we would have had a different situation, perhaps.

Germany is starting the war of words before their match with Sweden: Ballack claims, "We are not afraid of anybody". Hope this is a good match and yeah, I'm rooting for Sweden.

post #266 of 556
Sweden!
post #267 of 556
Looks like the English thugs have been unleashed which is a shame - racist attacks on tunisian fans last night resulting in the arrest of 120 morons. Now it's kicked off in Stuttgart with an attack on some German fans and riot police wading in.

Had to happen I guess. Stand by for more when they lose tomorrow....such a shame as it was going so well and most England fans are far removed from these neanderthals.
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
post #268 of 556
post #269 of 556
Quote:
Originally posted by segovius
Stand by for more when they lose tomorrow.

2:0 Germany wins
" I will not commit anything to memory that I can get from another source . . . "
ALBERT EINSTEIN
" I will not commit anything to memory that I can get from another source . . . "
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #270 of 556
Quote:
Originally posted by Vox Barbara
2:0 Germany wins

Unstoppable juggernaut rolling now
post #271 of 556
I nearly fell asleep during the Argies v. Mexico match. GREAT goal by Rodriguez, though.
post #272 of 556
Quote:
I nearly fell asleep during the Argies v. Mexico match. GREAT goal by Rodriguez, though.

Asleep?

One of the greatest WC matches in at least the last 4 tournaments.
post #273 of 556
Quote:
Asleep? One of the greatest WC matches in at least the last 4 tournaments.

It was a very good match, but I'm not sure about one of the greatest in the last 16 years. I guess that would depend on what that number of "great" matches was.

Great goal by the way. Mexico was better in the first half which I NEVER expected. The argies slightly better in the second half although neither team created that many chances.

Mex: 12 shots Arg.: 11
Mex: 3 shots on goal. Arg.: 5 shots on goal
Mex: 49% possession Arg: 51%

Fifa has officially given the first goal to Crespo. I thought the referee was below average. I thought he "overlooked" at least 2 yellow cards to the argies and he fell for EVERY argentinian dive....of which there were quite a bit. In fact, if we went by the rules..that own goal should've been a high kick by Crespo.

All I can say is that Germany and arg will be a great match. If the argies play like this they will lose. Lahm must be salivating at the prospect of going against Scaloni if indeed that happens.

I guess I was a little off on my Arg. 4-Mexico 0 prediction.
post #274 of 556
Hey Gilsch, what do you think about the goal that Messi did?
Rare that you didn't mention that in your analisys and you did mention that Crespo goal was a high kick.
Anyway Argentina wins one more time, and I enjoy that.
post #275 of 556
Quote:
One of the greatest WC matches in at least the last 4 tournaments.

The problem is that, somehow, the South American game of short passing has entered the vernacular as "creative and good" whereas playing the counter attack is "boring and bad." I disagree. A truly creative team know how to vary its offense. After minute 12, Arg vs Mex was the same thing over and over and over.

You have to wonder why, when down a goal in overtime, why Mexico was so insistent on playing their ineffective ground game. At 29 minutes into it, they made a short pass off a free kick in the attacking third. WTF? Their only goal came from the air.

After the 4th minute, Mexico was so toothless. I'm upset that Argentina was so lethargic as not to finish the game off in regulation time, and so insistent on diving all over the floor whenever possible. I hope Germany buries them.
post #276 of 556
Quote:
Originally posted by lucianok
Rare that you didn't mention that in your analisys and you did mention that

The goal that Messi scored was way after the play had been whistled dead. There was no offside, but the Mexican defenders had long given up on that play because of the whistle. By the way, did you really have to create a new account for that?

Te lo explico en español mejor si te cuesta el inglés boludo?

The italian pussy referee turned a blind eye to the olympic argie diving team for most of the game. I especially loved the play on a corner kick when an argie literally smacked Borgetti(sp?) on the head and hit him on the shoulder while flying through with the referee calmly watching in the background just a few feet away. Classic. They only showd that play once on Univision but it was funny.

Hopefully Fifa will not allow this ref to continue in the tournament. Have they made a decision on the english ref who yellow-carded the same guy 3 times? lol
post #277 of 556
Quote:
Originally posted by lucianok
Rare that you didn't mention that in your analisys and you did mention that Crespo goal was a high kick.
Anyway Argentina wins one more time, and I enjoy that.

Welcome to our boards, lucianok!

---

300 fans arrested... Simple lack of basic self-control, on a grande scale. If the fans can't behave themselves, don't let the team play. Or, what if the team threatened to not play if there is any stupidity like this (have they ever asked the fans to act with basic human dignity?)? The game is tonight, and will now likely be attended by a very, very large police contingent; hope they send the bill to the right place.

post #278 of 556
Quote:
... Simple lack of basic self-control, on a grande scale.

Possibly the most accurate description of England as a conception that has ever been penned.

Without the French 'e' on 'grand' it would be perfect.

post #279 of 556
post #280 of 556
Quote:
Interesting US take on 'soccer'

Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Official World Cup Thread