or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Official World Cup Thread

Official World Cup Thread - Page 3

post #81 of 556
0:0

Draw, Switzerland go go go

France seemed to be very exhausted, well, with all respect,
what do you expect, if elderly guys kick the ball
like paying homage to splendid '98. No dice, if you ask me.

And lurking for free kicks doesn't fix a wonder.
" I will not commit anything to memory that I can get from another source . . . "
ALBERT EINSTEIN
" I will not commit anything to memory that I can get from another source . . . "
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #82 of 556
Quote:
Originally posted by Vox Barbara
0:0

Draw, Switzerland go go go

Worst game I've seen so far though....
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
post #83 of 556
off to see Brazil now, sun is shining. hoping for some real samba!
Bill Bradley to comedian Bill Cosby: "Bill, you are a comic, tell us a joke!"
- "Senator, you are a politician, first tell us a lie!"
Bill Bradley to comedian Bill Cosby: "Bill, you are a comic, tell us a joke!"
- "Senator, you are a politician, first tell us a lie!"
post #84 of 556
Brazil are playing 4 -2 -2 -2 tonight!!!!!!

This should be beautiful - now we will see the men sorted from the boys....
post #85 of 556
Quote:
Originally posted by New
off to see Brazil now, sun is shining. hoping for some real samba!

Yeah, the guys...
ALBERT EINSTEIN
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #86 of 556
Brasil has been awful so far. Except for the Kaka goal. Why is Ronaldo even playing? Is a goal scoring record more important than winning the championship to Parreira? Ronaldo is walking on the field. Adriano can't control a single pass and no magic from Ronaldinho yet.

Cafú is looking very old and slow and his side is where Croatia attacked ALL of the half. Boring, boring so far.
post #87 of 556
half time
Brasilia scores 1, Croatia scores, ahmm, zero.

The match is pretty often stalled by tactical fouls,
by and large Brasilia is slightly better, a few fast paced moves
gave a glimpse of their power, basically in the beginning.
Brasilias attack (Ronaldo and Adriano) is a mere ghost shadow,
hence very simple to defense. Danger and real hazard comes
from Ronaldino and Caca, well sometimes.

Funny. but Croatia was closer to score the first Goal than Brasilia.
Well, off to second half...

EDIT:

The match is over, Brasilia wins (as EVERYBODY expected). BUT
the victory over Croatia doesn't represent the true course of the
game. I think a draw would have been more justly.

Anyway, now looking ahead to tomorrow.

Predictions please

Germany vs Poland
2:1

Spain vs. Ukraine
2:3

Tunisia vs. Saudi Arabia
1:1
ALBERT EINSTEIN
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #88 of 556
Quote:
Originally posted by segovius
Brazil are playing 4 -2 -2 -2 tonight!!!!!!

This should be beautiful - now we will see the men sorted from the boys....

How true in the end Ronaldo, anyone
ALBERT EINSTEIN
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #89 of 556
Quote:
Originally posted by Splinemodel
Me too. I wasn't able to get Cup tickets, but I am going to try to go to Euro 2008, which is in Austria & Switzerland. I would really like to see Switzerland, so it would be a double bonus.

For half the prize you can probably go to Copa America and get to see much better quality football.
post #90 of 556
Quote:
Originally posted by soulcrusher
For half the prize you can probably go to Copa America and get to see much better quality football.

ALBERT EINSTEIN
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #91 of 556
Quote:

Mmm... have you seen the European Cup? It's pretty awesome.
post #92 of 556
Quote:
Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah
Mmm... have you seen the European Cup? It's pretty awesome.

Yep, all the time. And none of the ones I've seen has been as impressive as the 1997 Copa America.

Now, the question for you is, have you ever seen Copa America?
post #93 of 556
Quote:

Uhhh, yeah right. I've been to Copa America tourneys before....3 powers...Uruguay, Brasil and the argies against crappy, totally overmatched teams. Some tournament.

And Vox...it's Kaká not Caca. lol
post #94 of 556
Well I think I should stop predicting results You guys were right about Switzerland.
post #95 of 556
I do not know where you guys get all this crap about every American teams being crap except for Argentina and Brazil.

1997 Copa America final, Bolivia vs. Brazil
2001 Copa America, Honduras vs. Brazil
1998 World Cup, France vs. Paraguay
2005 Confederaciones Cup, Mexico vs. Brazil
2002 World Cup, USA vs. Portugal
Colombia's qualifying to the 1994 World Cup, including 5-0 win vs. Argentina

And most recently, we have seen Trinidad and Tobago tying with Sweden, Ecuador beating Poland, Paraguay losing because of an own-goal agains England.

I am not arguing that every American team is better than every European team, what I am saying is that you are underestimating them.
post #96 of 556
Quote:

Please. That's your proof??? Give me a break. Here, let me break it down for you in numbers that actually mean something.

Most winners Copa America.

Uruguay 14
Argentina 14
Brasil 7
Paraguay and Peru 2
Bolivia and Colombia 1

Uruguay, argies, Brasil = 35 wins.
All the rest: 6

post #97 of 556
Quote:
Originally posted by Gilsch
Please. That's your proof??? Give me a break. Here, let me break it down for you in numbers that actually mean something.

Most winners Copa America.

Uruguay 14
Argentina 14
Brasil 7
Paraguay and Peru 2
Bolivia and Colombia 1

Uruguay, argies, Brasil = 35 wins.
All the rest: 6

I am not saying that Argentina, Brazil and Uruguay are not the best, because they are. What I am saying is that the rest are not total crap.

That's like saying that just because only Germany, Italy, France and England have won the World Cup, then every other European team sucks, including Spain, Portugal, Czech Republic, The Netherlands, etc., which is not true.
post #98 of 556
Quote:
That's like saying that just because only Germany, Italy, France and England have won the World Cup, then every other European team sucks, including Spain, Portugal, Czech Republic, The Netherlands, etc., which is not true.

There is no comparison. I can't believe you're actually arguing this. Any of the teams you have mentioned above are consistently stronger than any of the teams in South America with the exception of Brasil, Uruguay( though these guys have been in a steady decline for years now) and arg.
post #99 of 556
Quote:
Yep, all the time. And none of the ones I've seen has been as impressive as the 1997 Copa America.

Yes: it's not as exciting. You have picked a bad argument, since most of us don't write off the South American teams. FIFA doesn't appear to either, since they gave Mexico the 4th ranking and an undeserving seed in this year's Cup. But in reality, American teams have a hard time beating European teams when it really counts. The problem they seem to have is that so few American teams possess big weapons. In other words, there's not enough diversity in goal scoring to cause a threat to any of the top teams -- every goal has to come from great passing, which is admirable, but it sure is nice to have a big-man than can hold the ball or crack a shot from 30m. All of the top teams the world over are dangerous as soon as they get in the attacking third, and sometimes as soon as they cross the half-line. Mexico is not. Paraguay is not. Costa Rica is not. Most of the big European teams are. Even England, who have been ridiculed for their poor performance, were able to score in a way that only Brazil can match -- a near-perfect direct kick from 40m.
Cat: the other white meat
post #100 of 556
Another couple of points when "comparing" Copa America with a world cup. You actually have to qualify to a world cup. At least 2 years of competition just to get to a tournament that's played every four years. So yeah, if they're sometimes a little more conservative it's because it's a huge deal to get out of the first round and move through the knockout stages. One mistake could mean wasting years of work.

No qualifying for Copa America. South American countries plus a couple others by special invitation. Played every 2 years (it's been played yearly, every 2 years, every 3 years, every 4 years even etc.) And most telling of all....quite a few times, the top 3 countries have sent their B teams to the Copa America.

Finally, a little bit about that 97 Copa America. Bolivia only made it to the final because they had the advantage of playing at home. What advantage? Playing at VERY high altitudes. How high? Try 13,000 feet.
post #101 of 556
Quote:
Originally posted by Gilsch
Uhhh, yeah right. I've been to Copa America tourneys before....3 powers...Uruguay, Brasil and the argies against crappy, totally overmatched teams. Some tournament.

And Vox...it's Kaká not Caca. lol

Well, it is hard to remember all these different names
of different players of different countries correctly.
But of course it is Kaká.
ALBERT EINSTEIN
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #102 of 556
Quote:
Predictions please

Tunisia vs. Saudi Arabia
1:1

Well, i am gonna shift the result toward
3:1
ALBERT EINSTEIN
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #103 of 556
Arghh... still 8 hours to wait, i've got that fever,...

Germany, roll it.

ALBERT EINSTEIN
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #104 of 556
haha, yeah it's hard isn't it. It's even worse for me in Australia as the games are in the early hours of the morning, so I spend the day at work thinking about it, and then stay up to watch them. By the next day I'm dead at work from no sleep and the cycle repeats
post #105 of 556
Quote:
How true in the end Ronaldo, anyone

yes - can you believe that the coach is going to start him again on Sunday???
post #106 of 556
Quote:
Originally posted by dojobi
haha, yeah it's hard isn't it. It's even worse for me in Australia as the games are in the early hours of the morning, so I spend the day at work thinking about it, and then stay up to watch them. By the next day I'm dead at work from no sleep and the cycle repeats

Yeah, i *knew* the Aussie team would be a serious
player in the game, but i didn't expect them that powerful.
Now they are my insider tip. If they can repeat
their performance of their first match, they surly
gonna give Brasilia a nasty gift.
(Though, i don't think they will smack Brasilia,
yet crossing my fingers...)
ALBERT EINSTEIN
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #107 of 556
Well I'm hoping for that too. I think they CAN do it. Whether they do or not, is another question
post #108 of 556
Das Lied der Deutschen (3. Strophe)
Text: Hoffmann von Fallersleben
Melodie: Joseph Haydn

Sorry guys, i couldn't resist (Resistance is futile anyway)
ALBERT EINSTEIN
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #109 of 556
Quote:

I've seen clips from some of the games over the last 34 years of my life, yeah, and it looks really good. I guess it's as difficult for you to get as excited in the Euro Cup without knowing the countries and the teams as it is for me to get involved in the Copa, but I suppose if you prefer football from the Americas that's cool, I can see why you might.

Now let's talk about the World Cup, which is on my TV right now. Spain are looking super sharp. I'd have expected them to beat Ukraine (I only really know one of their players and he's below his best) and it looks as if they will.
post #110 of 556
Quote:
Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah

Now let's talk about the World Cup, which is on my TV right now. Spain are looking super sharp. I'd have expected them to beat Ukraine (I only really know one of their players and he's below his best) and it looks as if they will.

Half time, Spain dominates Ukraine very easily.
I thought Ukraine would have been stronger
than they have presented themself in the first half.

Ukraine haven't found a gap to go through yet. And
i doubt they will. Ukra team seem to be exhausted.
(I can't stretch why.)
Tchetchenko is entirely left in the dark by his team players.
What a piti.

Spain is playing at full blast, so to say. I doubt they can
hold this pace in the second half. 30° Celsius, it is a hell
of a heat, is it not? Maybe Spain can beat the heat better
than Ukra, because they are more used to high temperature.

Off 2. half...
ALBERT EINSTEIN
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #111 of 556
Hell! Penalty to Spain, what the F**K!
Sorry but these referees are sucking very much. stark-blind!!!

Goal. 0:3

EDIT:
End result 0:4 (losing a fortune)

Spain is the winner, and i have to admit this spanish team
is in a pretty good shape. Ukraine was disappointing all the way.
ALBERT EINSTEIN
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #112 of 556
You see this Spanish performance really puts things in perspective. Forget England's 'heat' excuses - this was the most energetic performance so far in probably the hottest conditions.

Torres was awesome - so was Puyol. Once Fabregas gets going I think we are seeing genuine contenders here.
post #113 of 556
Puyol is the best defender in the world right now.
post #114 of 556
Quote:
FIFA doesn't appear to either, since they gave Mexico the 4th ranking and an undeserving seed in this year's Cup.

Not only that but you can have up to half of COMMEBOL coming to the World Cup, as it should be.
post #115 of 556
Quote:
Puyol is the best defender in the world right now.

Maybe, but Ukras Attack was pretty weak too.
Whether Puyol is the best defender will reveal
when he is confronted with attackers who are on
par with his amazing skills.
ALBERT EINSTEIN
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #116 of 556
Quote:
Originally posted by segovius
You see this Spanish performance really puts things in perspective. Forget England's 'heat' excuses - this was the most energetic performance so far in probably the hottest conditions.

Torres was awesome - so was Puyol. Once Fabregas gets going I think we are seeing genuine contenders here.

It does. This was good for the spanish: hopefully it will build some confidence for them. It's always painful to see them underperform, and maybe this year they will buck the trend.

With that said, they clearly deserved the game today, but I felt the referee was protecting them with the (obviously) dubious red card as well as a number of suspect offsides calls. If Ukraine can take anything from this, it's that they have the uncanny ability to (paritally) make up for bad passing with ruthless attacking of 50/50 balls in the midfield. For that I can see how they held Italy to 0-0, and thumped Costa Rica 4-0 in the warm ups. Spain earned the victory, but were lucky to have a 4-0 victory. I hope Ukraine can somehow appeal to the red card, which happens all the time in the club leagues, but I have no idea if it's permissible in the World Cup.

Slightly off topic:
I think John Terry is the best defender in the world.
post #117 of 556
Quote:
dubious red card

I do not know about that. FIFA has been very explicit about NOT PULLING from the uniform. And we are not talking about hard pulls but any sort of pulling.

The referee saw the Ukraine guy pulling from the shorts, that's a foul. It was inside the box, that's a penalty. Last man, that's a red card.

The defender would have had a better chance of getting away with it by doing a hard tackle as that is not necessarily a foul.

The only thing the Ukrainians can appeal is that the pulling might have been outside the box.
post #118 of 556
Quote:
I do not know about that. FIFA has been very explicit about NOT PULLING from the uniform. And we are not talking about hard pulls but any sort of pulling.

If you apply strictly, you know...
I saw a lot of slight pulls

Quote:
The referee saw the Ukraine guy pulling from the shorts, that's a foul. It was inside the box, that's a penalty. Last man, that's a red card.

Nice lesson in applied logic
ALBERT EINSTEIN
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #119 of 556
Quote:

No, because the referee appropriately played advantage -- nothing the defender did caused a change of possession, or even a stutter. When [Villa ?] shot, he was moving very quickly and lost his balance. The referee wasn't very close to the play, and I can understand that it looked like a foul from where he was, but in the replays it is a very clear non-foul. The defender shouldn't have to sit out of the next game for that.

This is a great thread, by the way: everyone seems to have different views and opinions.
post #120 of 556
Quote:
Originally posted by SpcMs
Not saying I can make better predictions, but no way that will be the semifinal. I'm glad the Dutch left home some of their more annoying players, but still. And Ukraine doesn't have the tradition to make it to the semifinals.

I don't like to quote myself but...

:-P
It's Better To Be Hated For What You Are Than To Be Loved For What You Are Not
It's Better To Be Hated For What You Are Than To Be Loved For What You Are Not
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Official World Cup Thread