or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Some MacBooks plagued by discoloration

Some MacBooks plagued by discoloration

post #1 of 47
Several owners of Apple Computer's new MacBook computers are expressing concerns after noticing that portions of their shiny white notebooks have inexplicably turned shades of orange.

The problem appears to be affecting the palm rest and other areas of the computer on both the white 1.83GHz and 2.0GHz models. The first signs of the discoloration tend to appear after 2-3 weeks of use, according to posts in an ongoing thread on Apple's support forums.

It's unclear precisely what is causing issue -- some MacBook users speculate it may be a heat-related issue while others are chalking it up to a chemical reaction in the notebook's plastic enclosure.

Adding some support to the latter theory, one user reported that his Toshiba Satellite P30, which utilizes similar polycarbonate plastics, has also experienced the same form of discoloration.

Users have so far found little success in attempting to rectify the problem with a variety of off-the-shelf cleaning agents. According to posts on the Apple support forum, users have tried everything from iKlean and Windex to Ajax and Mr. Clean's Magic Eraser product.

"All the white MacBooks are showing discoloration on the trackpad button and palmrests, though I'm not sure if it's the same as people are describing here," wrote one poster who swung by the Apple Store Soho in order to investigate the issue further. "The ones at the Apple Store were just darkish looking, more gray than yellow."

As of Monday afternoon, Apple had yet to acknowledge the issue internally. However, AppleCare representatives have offered at least one MacBook owner the opportunity to send his notebook into the company's repair depot in Austin, Texas for closer examination.

Apple's computer warranties typically do not cover "cosmetic" issues, which is precisely how some of the company's customer support representatives have categorized the problem.

Apple began shipping the 13-inch widescreen notebooks less than one month ago.

post #2 of 47
First the iPod Nano and now this? Does Apple even use their own damn products? If Apple is supposed to be the Porche of consumer electronics they better get their act together.
post #3 of 47
I expected better from Apple. This is the kind of mistake little companies make. I offered to beta test a product for a small startup firm, paying retail price and signing necessary waivers, but they turned me down, saying they had an accelerated testing regimen. As this proves, accelerated testing in the lab is fine for some things, but it's no substitute for long-term real-world testing.
post #4 of 47
People need to stop eating Cheetos while using their computers.
post #5 of 47
Great, not another product to protect apple products. Palmrest protector any one? iPalmrest.com [sarcastic]
Got my first mac ever: 15" 1.5ghz Powerbook after 13 years of PC junk and hell.
Second mac: 30" ACD, Quad G5.
Got my first mac ever: 15" 1.5ghz Powerbook after 13 years of PC junk and hell.
Second mac: 30" ACD, Quad G5.
post #6 of 47
Oh no! My white shirt got a stain on it from me rubbing my grubby hands all over it! It must be defective! White shirts are plagued with stains! AHHHH!
post #7 of 47
Could be people's dirty hands / fingers

I doubt very seriously APple would put together a computer and then send it directly to market. It goes through quality control and such ... if it were a widespread problem among all MBs, then I'd have to guess Apple would just say hey .. fuck it, let's piss everyone off and ship them anyway.

I look forward to seeing what the real cause of this is though

MacBook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8GB DDR3 SDRAM, 750GB HDD
Mac mini 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8GB DDR3 SDRAM, 500GB HDD
iPhone 5S, 32GB

iPhone 5S, 32GB

post #8 of 47
orange is hot.

bring back the tangerine ibook yeah.
post #9 of 47
Suggested course of action: assume the problem affects most MacBooks, not just a few, and assume Apple is not looking into the issue.

Any other course risks underreacting

PS, if it does happen to you, be polite but firm, and get a fresh palmrest--maybe the warranty doesn't cover the color, but Apple still has the discretion to fix your issue if you persuade them. But it would be smart to wait until AFTER Apple has identified the issue before seeking a solution.
post #10 of 47
Quote:
Originally posted by CaptObvious
People need to stop eating Cheetos while using their computers.

Psh. We ALL know they are NOT Cheetos. They are Tigeros. Soon to be Leopardos.
post #11 of 47
Re this being an "Apple trend"... with Nanos, was there ever any consensus/proof on whether Apple was lying when they said Nanos are made of the same clear plastic as all other iPods? (All of which, I realize, can be scratched.)

Also, is there any trend of other manufacturer's products being more likely to be cosmetically perfect than Apple's?

I'm not sure there is an actual Apple trend here...
post #12 of 47
I've notced with my black MacBook that the plastic is loosing it's "frosted" look in heave used areas. Now, I at first thought it would just be my greasy fingers.... but I've tried everything to clean it and well, nothing! Still all greasy and dirty looking in heavy used areas!
Skylor M. Werden
skylor at gmail dot com
Skylor M. Werden
skylor at gmail dot com
post #13 of 47
Don't type on your MacBook after eating chicken wings!

post #14 of 47
Chalk up another reason to spring for the black version...

Oh, and we can expect another class-action lawsuit in short order...

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #15 of 47
That's it. I'm starting an online petition demanding that Apple acknowledge this problem.
-- Jason
-- Jason
post #16 of 47
the black one turns green.

It's just that they switch colours every 6 months.
post #17 of 47
I'm definitely going to buy the first button protector I see on the market. Also something for the palm rest. The Japanese will put something out soon, I'm sure. And we'll get them all here in the shops in HK.
post #18 of 47
A man goes into the doctor and says, "Doc, my thing turned orange."

The Doctor looks it over, finds everything is fine. He is perplexed, and asks, "Well, nothing is wrong with it, ummm, well, tell me about your day?"

"Well, every day is pretty much the same....go to work, come home, grab some cheetos and watch some dirty movies on my Macbook."
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
post #19 of 47
I'll probably stick something to the spacebar, too.
post #20 of 47
[Quoted headline]
Several owners of Apple Computer's new MacBook computers are expressing concerns after noticing that portions of their shinny white notebooks have inexplicably turned shades of orange.
-------

Sorry for nitpicking, but I'm a stickler for typos in news stories. I figure if you're writing something that is intended to be read by thousands of people, you should be able to click Ctrl-S and wait 10 seconds for spell-check.
post #21 of 47
Quote:
Originally posted by CoolHandPete
intended to be read by thousands of people

optimistic surely?
post #22 of 47
For anyone that has this problem with your hand rests turning orang-esk and can't get it to go away with regular cleaners. I would suggest using rubbing compound and/or finish glaze (also known as finish restorer). Both can be found in Wal-Mart or almost any auto parts center... You just take a little bit and rub it on the plastic with a very fine rag, and if all goes well, the orange will go away.

This is only if it's on the surface (obviously). Also works with small scratches and such, just takes a long time to get them out. Trust me, bought my iPod used and it looked like crap.
post #23 of 47
Quote:
Originally posted by SpamSandwich
Chalk up another reason to spring for the black version...

Oh, and we can expect another class-action lawsuit in short order...

Not funny. My 13" 2.0Ghz white Macbook should arrive by tomorrow. I went to the Apple store today after seeing this post and guess what? I've noticed the complaints that both the white and black Macbook owners stated.

I bought my Macbook and I do not want to have the discolouration problem noted on these boards.

Apple seems to cave-in to concerns only when it reaches a critical mass. If I encounter this problem, I too will complain.

{end rant}

Umm, I wonder if I should return my CTO Macbook for a black one...err maybe a Macbook Pro (but that's a $1000.00 extra).

Ugh!
2.0 GHz Macbook, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HD
post #24 of 47
I get it now! Apple is trying to bring back hypercolor! So cool. They are always setting new trends.
"...men are that they might have joy."
"...men are that they might have joy."
post #25 of 47
Quote:
Originally posted by tonton
I'm definitely going to buy the first button protector I see on the market. Also something for the palm rest. The Japanese will put something out soon, I'm sure. And we'll get them all here in the shops in HK.

Please, please, please. Someone release some form of Macbook palm protector.

{how ridiculous is that!---said as I sneak off to place crystal film for my recently bought 4 gig white Nano--for $50.00}.
post #26 of 47
Quote:
Originally posted by nagromme
But it would be smart to wait until AFTER Apple has identified the issue before seeking a solution.

Oh like the thermal paste issue? or the nano scratches?

Yeah, Apple's always on the ball with saying 'my bad'!
Mac user since before you were born.
Mac user since before you were born.
post #27 of 47
Quote:
Originally posted by Eduardo
Not funny. My 13" 2.0Ghz white Macbook should arrive by tomorrow. I went to the Apple store today after seeing this post and guess what? I've noticed the complaints that both the white and black Macbook owners stated.

I bought my Macbook and I do not want to have the discolouration problem noted on these boards.

Apple seems to cave-in to concerns only when it reaches a critical mass. If I encounter this problem, I too will complain.

{end rant}

Umm, I wonder if I should return my CTO Macbook for a black one...err maybe a Macbook Pro (but that's a $1000.00 extra).

Ugh!

Dude, just don't eat Cheeto's while playig on your new MB. Simple as that ... or wear the new iGloves ... guaranteed not to remind you of how unclean you are compared to the pure, pristine MacBook

iPhone 5S, 32GB

iPhone 5S, 32GB

post #28 of 47
My boss offered to buy me a white MacBook this next Saturday, to replace an aging iBook, but maybe I'll wait to see how serious this problem is, or if it is just one of those urban/Internet legend things!
post #29 of 47
On a somewhat related topic; I just noticed on ifixit.com that the keybaord and trackpad assembly on the Macbook are one integrated piece. The solution is easy...buy a new keyboard/trackpad assembly!

post #30 of 47
that has always happened to the white powerbooks but only after atleast a year of use.
post #31 of 47
I'm not sure I understand this. If the cases are made of polycarbonate, this shouldn't happen. Polycarbonate is stable up to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.

I haven't looked at a Macbook yet, maybe tomorrow. Is the color through to the surafce as on the older iBooks? If it is a coating (which I hope it isn't) I could see a problem. But poly is very stable. Only solvents will cause a problem.

So, by the way, DON'T try to use one to get rid of this. It will craze.
post #32 of 47
Didn't everyone get the memo?
The new enclosures are GLOBAL HYPERCOLOR!
post #33 of 47
iBooks get a slight stain after 4 - 8 months of (fairly intensive) use (no cheetos or similar included), but to get badly stained after 1 month is rather ridiculous.

I guess some people don't wash their hands enough, coupled with nano-fissures in the polycarbonate. It might be bacteria in those tiny fissures, kept warm by the laptop, kept fed by sweaty greasy cheeto-hands, and they'd be hard to remove as well.

Or it could just be Apple's decreasing quality standards again.
post #34 of 47
Quote:
Originally posted by gunnmjk
Oh no! My white shirt got a stain on it from me rubbing my grubby hands all over it! It must be defective! White shirts are plagued with stains! AHHHH!

This glib reply fails to take into account that apple is not the only one that makes laptops and that other laptop makers have managed to make laptops that do not change colors. Gee, are people supposed to telepathically use their computers?. Obviously, it is something more than regular usage.

Secondly, if people using dirty hands when using their laptops, why isn't it easy to clean?. Why can't it be wiped?. Obviously people are correct in assuming that the type of material used is not allowing it to be cleaned easily. Unless people are expected to live in a clean room, expecting them to have a 100% clean hands is just foolish. Not blaming apple (it may just be that they have to tweak their materials a little) but you sound foolish with your comments..

Lastly, a white shirt can get clean by washing, my laptop i have can get clean by wiping it. Did you read that these people tried everything fron windex to ajax or are you such a blind apple follower that you stupidly reply to any story about apple without critical thinking?
post #35 of 47
^^^^^George Bush is mobilising his Special Tactical Response Team because you failed to see the sarcasm
post #36 of 47
Oh no!!! My new white macbook is turning ORANGE!! Aaaaaaahhhhh!

Here come the Umpah Loompahs to take my macbook away!

Oompah! Oompah! Oompah-di-DOO!
post #37 of 47
Do you think that apple will now charge more for the color shifting paint? gots to get me some neon and figure out how to make the apple logo spin...
post #38 of 47
Quote:
Originally posted by bdkennedy1
First the iPod Nano and now this? Does Apple even use their own damn products? If Apple is supposed to be the Porche of consumer electronics they better get their act together.

Er...as a Porsche owner I can say that every manufacturer has "issues" from time to time including Porsche. For example, my car has a pinion bearing whine issue that occurs after warranty expires and Porsche doesn't tend to address. It was a manufacturing defect where the robots assembing the car sometimes over put too much pre-load on the bearings.

Vinea
post #39 of 47
I've seen one of these problems myself, it wasnt on an intel macbook, but a g4 iBook, the most recent one before the macbook, I think they're still using the same plastic since, and i can tell you that the owner has treated the iBook very well... he's anal retentive about cleansiness and taking care of his iBook...

Too bad... it looks like an old SNES after a year of use...
post #40 of 47
Quote:
Originally posted by gunnmjk

ummm no. one guy reported having an ibook for 4 years without problem. most appear to no smoke and say they dont have bad hygene.

This is a serious problem for a computer company that prides itself on being both the best and best looking computer experience.

My guess is the article is right, either heat, light or some kind of chem reaction is making this problem. My second guess would be that apple replaces the enclosures of all these computers and fixs the problem in the manufacuring process-- and rightfully so on a computer sold for both its power and its design prowesses.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Some MacBooks plagued by discoloration