or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Wireless iPod video conferencing patent surfaces

Wireless iPod video conferencing patent surfaces

post #1 of 29
A relatively new patent filing has surfaced in the United States portraying an "iPod-type" device with real time wireless video-conferencing capabilities.

The filing, which bears a striking resemblance to iPod patent filings previously submitted by Apple Computer, is registered to Kendyl Roman of mediaFrame, Inc., a company that specializes in intellectual property litigation support.

Still, it's unclear if the filing belongs to Apple, as it references several other brand names in addition to the iPod maker's, including Orange Micro and Connectix.

In the filing, made Oct. 27, 2005 and published on June 1st, the inventors describe a wireless handheld device which can "compress, enhance, encode, transmit, decompress and display digital video images in real time."

Real time data transmission is said to be achieved by high levels of effective compression by sub-sampling each frame of a video signal, filtering the pixel values, and then encoding the media.

In one example, the inventors describe an "iPod-type device" with a color display, wireless network support and a decompressor for decompressing live video. Another describes a similar device that also includes a video camera "having the capability to capture full-motion videp" and a microphone.

The patent filing also makes reference to an optional wireless module as well as an "A/V module" comprised of a right integrated speaker, an integrated microphone, a left integrated speaker and a integrated camera with lens.

"The A/V module could be manufactured and marketed separately as an add-on module for standard iPods, or could be incorporated into the iPod packaging as an enhanced iPod-type device," it states. "The wireless module also could be manufactured and marketed separately as an add-on module for standard iPods, or could be incorporated into the iPod packaging as an enhanced iPod-type device."

Other points of the invention include a video zoom function and the ability of any wireless iPod-type device to act as a video server that can transmit pre-recorded video to one or more other iPod-type devices.

post #2 of 29
This story smells funny...

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #3 of 29
Quote:
Originally posted by SpamSandwich
This story smells funny...

Sounds to me like someone's trying to patent an idea that they think Apple might pursue. Sort of like those domain-name squatters...
"In Xanadu did Kubla Kahn a stately pleasure-dome decree."
"In Xanadu did Kubla Kahn a stately pleasure-dome decree."
post #4 of 29
The ultimate presentation tool:

1. Make presentation on Mac or PC using Keynote or PowerPoint.

2. Transfer it to a wireless iPod.

3. Boot Mac OS X from the wireless iPod and use it as a remote control for the presentation via a wireless videoprojector on the ceiling.

No cables or computer involved in the presentation.

The halo effect will be tremendous on corporate, educational and domestic markets.
post #5 of 29
anyone else notice the original iPod scroll wheel? how old is this patent app?
Those who would trade liberty for security deserve neither - ben franklin

ben franklin was a retard - john
Those who would trade liberty for security deserve neither - ben franklin

ben franklin was a retard - john
post #6 of 29
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Dirk
Sounds to me like someone's trying to patent an idea that they think Apple might pursue. Sort of like those domain-name squatters...

Perhaps. But if it is their patent, one that they have come up with, and it is unique in some way, and valid, that would be fine. That's what is supposed to happen.
post #7 of 29
"any wireless iPod-type device to act as a video server that can transmit pre-recorded video to one or more other iPod-type devices."
In the real world with friends this would be so cool!
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #8 of 29
And this should work with iChat AV, since Apple's pushing that so much. This would be AWESOME! So, you think we'll see it in August in the new 6th gen iPod?
post #9 of 29
Well, perhaps there is a reason that Apple is putting iSight's in all the new laptops and rumored to be in all the new displays coming later this year as well. I see Apple offering VoIP services and increased PDA-type functions to create a "new" phone market rather than playing catch-up with the big boys like Moto and Nokia. Even if this is just a way to protect themselves with patents, it sounds like the kind of convergence device Apple could do well and I have been looking forward to for some time. Here's to hoping it's true and soon!
post #10 of 29
Quote:
Originally posted by SirROM
Well, perhaps there is a reason that Apple is putting iSight's in all the new laptops and rumored to be in all the new displays coming later this year as well. I see Apple offering VoIP services and increased PDA-type functions to create a "new" phone market rather than playing catch-up with the big boys like Moto and Nokia. Even if this is just a way to protect themselves with patents, it sounds like the kind of convergence device Apple could do well and I have been looking forward to for some time. Here's to hoping it's true and soon!

Well said!
post #11 of 29
Funny title.

I say look again.

This is the iPhone. And now that Apple has gotten the iSights to be thin enough for a laptop display, they can go in phones.

Yes, the iPhone will look and feel like an iPod.

I can't wait. Particularly since every cell phone on the market sucks right now.
post #12 of 29
Quote:
Originally posted by Ireland
Well said!

Yes, it is, but it doesn't help the mobile user. I can't imaging using a laptop as a portable phonee, even with Bluetooth headsets.
post #13 of 29
But can you imagine using an iPod?

That's what the patent covers. Ya gotta have *vision*, man!
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
post #14 of 29
These patent filings always make me excited.
post #15 of 29
it's great.
jtblq = jetblack in Ascarian
jtblq = jetblack in Ascarian
post #16 of 29
Quote:
Originally posted by melgross
Perhaps. But if it is their patent, one that they have come up with, and it is unique in some way, and valid, that would be fine. That's what is supposed to happen.

Eh...I would perfer that they had to build a prototype. Gee...an iPod that does video collaboration...how "novel". And submitted by an IP litigation firm no less.

Vinea
post #17 of 29
Hmmm...Here's a question: Especially given the 2008-2009 introduction date for the iPhone predicted in one of today's other articles, has anyone considered the possibility that the iPhone won't work on a standard cell phone network at all, but will instead be entirely VOIP and WORK ON WIMAX AND OTHER BROADBAND WIRELESS NETWORKS?
post #18 of 29
Oops!
post #19 of 29
Great, someone patenting something I've already got. It's called a mobile phone.
post #20 of 29
iPod with iSight and iChat. Clever. Very cool.
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
post #21 of 29
Quote:
Originally posted by area51boy2000
anyone else notice the original iPod scroll wheel? how old is this patent app?

Yes, I saw the old wheel - that was sorta weird for a 2005 patent filing. It does sound like a great idea, though. Wireless connectivity would definitely be the next logical step for the iPod line. I wonder if Apple would include a feature where you can directly download songs from iTunes to your iPod?
post #22 of 29
Quote:
Originally posted by jamezog
Wireless connectivity would definitely be the next logical step for the iPod line. I wonder if Apple would include a feature where you can directly download songs from iTunes to your iPod?

You mean like the MusicGremlin player?

http://www.engadget.com/2006/06/13/m...1000-wifi-dap/
post #23 of 29
Quote:
Originally posted by aegisdesign
You mean like the MusicGremlin player?

http://www.engadget.com/2006/06/13/m...1000-wifi-dap/

Yeah, something like that. The only downside that I can see of it would be the loss of the halo effect - you wouldn't need a Mac / PC to run your iPod.
post #24 of 29
Quote:
Originally posted by Feste
Hmmm...Here's a question: Especially given the 2008-2009 introduction date for the iPhone predicted in one of today's other articles, has anyone considered the possibility that the iPhone won't work on a standard cell phone network at all, but will instead be entirely VOIP and WORK ON WIMAX AND OTHER BROADBAND WIRELESS NETWORKS?

The problem with mobile phones is that there are many different comm's standards around the world. Any iPhone would need to be multi-standard for it work around the world and have mass market appeal. I'm not sure Apple could take the risk of relying solely on VOIP or WIMAX.

I don't think that analyst guy has a clue what Apple are planning with the iPhone.
post #25 of 29
Quote:
Originally posted by Shaun, UK
The problem with mobile phones is that there are many different comm's standards around the world. Any iPhone would need to be multi-standard for it work around the world and have mass market appeal. I'm not sure Apple could take the risk of relying solely on VOIP or WIMAX.

I don't think that analyst guy has a clue what Apple are planning with the iPhone.

Well duh?
post #26 of 29
Quote:
Originally posted by Shaun, UK

It'd be somewhat premature to spec WIMAX but Apple could use UMA and make the issue go away to some extent. Quad-band and WiFi (802.11g) is a fine start before the standards are sorted. UMA for seamlessly negotiating between home/office/hotspot and mobile.

This is in use already...

http://press.nokia.com/PR/200511/1019072_5.html

British Telecom already do Voip/landline/mobile handsets. I'm sure there are others, especially in Finland/Sweden.
post #27 of 29
I'm just waiting for the day when Apple releases some pocket-sized thing that can link wirelessly with my Powerbook and allow me to add appointments to iCal, contacts to the Address book, etc. I don't need a totally full-functioning PDA, but something that lets me keep my iCal in my pocket would be so helpful.

If it also lets me do all of these other things, so be it.
post #28 of 29
Quote:
Originally posted by CoolHandPete
I'm just waiting for the day when Apple releases some pocket-sized thing that can link wirelessly with my Powerbook and allow me to add appointments to iCal, contacts to the Address book, etc. I don't need a totally full-functioning PDA, but something that lets me keep my iCal in my pocket would be so helpful.

If it also lets me do all of these other things, so be it.

I would be right behind you in the queue if Apple ever released it.
post #29 of 29
If I reply to your reply, but this time in blue, do you think Apple market researchers who may be lurking here might think I'm yet another loyal user who wants an Apple pocket-Mac?

I always hold out hope that my shameless plugs are doing some good up in those board rooms on the Infinite Loop...
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Wireless iPod video conferencing patent surfaces