or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple seen delivering "ultra-portable" at Macworld

Apple seen delivering "ultra-portable" at Macworld

post #1 of 191
Apple Computer could introduce an "ultra-portable PC" that employs NAND-based flash memory in time for the January Macworld trade show in San Francisco, one Wall Street analyst says.

UBS Investment Research analyst Ben Reitzes said this week his proprietary checks indicate Apple is working on "ultra-portable PCs" and even notebooks equipped with NAND flash memory in order to speed up boot times.

"We believe these new products could start in notebook products with combo-drives (NAND and HDD) or ultra-portables (NAND only), and could be released in time for MacWorld," Reitzes told clients.

Intel, which supplies microprocessors to Apple, has made no secret of its plans to build NAND flash -- a type of solid-state memory commonly found in consumer electronics like digital audio players -- into its own PC logicboard designs.

At its developers conference this past March, the Santa Clara, Calif.-based chipmaker said it would deliver NAND flash features in its forthcoming notebook platform, dubbed Santa Rosa, due in early 2007.

"We need to have devices that boot up very rapidly," Sean Maloney, the head of Intel's mobility group, told developers at the conference. "The same way you come off a plane and get a cell phone signal immediately."

Reitzes also said his surveys and visits to Apple retail locations show a "very positive" reaction to the company's current line of notebook computers: the MacBook and MacBook Pro.

The analyst expects sales of the portables to help drive overall Mac unit growth of 5 percent year-over-year, or 12 percent sequentially, to 1.24 million during Apple's third quarter.

"Checks show the education segment should also lend support to estimates, given June is the time school districts exhaust annual budgets," Reitzes wrote. "With the education segment accounting for approximately 25 percent of US Mac unit sales, we believe both June and July (when new budgets come into play) could see solid growth, especially for MacBooks and iMacs."

The analyst maintains a Buy rating on shares of Apple with a price target of $95.
post #2 of 191
May I dub thee "MacThin"!

When can I place my order!?
post #3 of 191
Please give me 11" or smaller, still squeezing in dual cores and a real GPU. With the option to connect to a larger display and keyboard when needed, I'd have it all.
post #4 of 191
Just let me know when I can place an order.
post #5 of 191
I was playing around with an old IBM workbook, which is TINY, THIN and runs completely off flash memory, granted it only had a few megs of storage space, it still seemed like the future of portables, back in 1998.

If Apple could streamline this type of notebook, the world would be a better place!
post #6 of 191
MacBook Nano????
post #7 of 191
I think Intel calls the hybrid solid state + HDD technology Robson, it's reputed to make great strides in boot time with just 128MB of some sort of non volatile memory that supplements the hard drive, I don't know if that non volatile memory is battery back-up RAM or some form of flash.

The current best solid state storage I've heard of is something like 32GB in a notebook drive-type form factor, I think it's over a thousand dollars, maybe well over two thousand. I never did find a price for just the drive. Some Asian semiconductor + computer company (I think Samsung or Toshiba) intruduced that drive in a new model ultralight for $3700 total. I want a cool running notebook, but not that badly, any ULV based notebook will serve me well, the power savings and heat reduction is in using a more suitable chip, not in shaving half a watt on the storage.
post #8 of 191
Quote:
Originally posted by OriginalMacRat
MacBook Nano????

Score. What a beautiful product it will be. This would seem to finish out the line for Apple. Everything from ultra portable to the Mac Pro (when it comes out). Then no one will have a reason to buy a PC.
post #9 of 191
It's interesting because I just read an article today as to how poorly the Robeson technology is working in Vista beta 2, as this is the MS OS that will support it.

If Apple intro's these machines in August, then they must have already found a way to support it in the OS. So, if that's true, either 10.4.7 will contain the code, or we will see another update at the convention.
post #10 of 191
Bring on 11" or smaller. I am kinda digging 10" myself now but I'll take what I can get!

Now, can I preorder this bad boy or what?
Hard-Core.
Hard-Core.
post #11 of 191
Quote:
Originally posted by aplnub
Bring on 11" or smaller. I am kinda digging 10" myself now but I'll take what I can get!

Now, can I preorder this bad boy or what?

Not until Sunil starts his countdown.
post #12 of 191
Possible names:

NewtBook
Mac Slvr
Mac Wii
post #13 of 191
Quote:
Originally posted by nagromme
Please give me 11" or smaller, still squeezing in dual cores and a real GPU. With the option to connect to a larger display and keyboard when needed, I'd have it all.

On the version 1 NAND portable? What purpose would dedicated gpu serve on something like that? The HD would probably be pretty tiny.
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
post #14 of 191
Quote:
Originally posted by Homestar06
Score. What a beautiful product it will be. This would seem to finish out the line for Apple. Everything from ultra portable to the Mac Pro (when it comes out). Then no one will have a reason to buy a PC.

You mean no reason other than the most common reason people currently don't buy Macs... they're more expensive.
post #15 of 191
Quote:
Originally posted by melgross
If Apple intro's these machines in August, then they must have already found a way to support it in the OS. So, if that's true, either 10.4.7 will contain the code, or we will see another update at the convention.

Macworld is in January.
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
post #16 of 191
Woohoo! How many years have people been asking for this? It's about time! So I'll finally be able to replace my PB 12". Of course, I may want to wait for the rev B first. Never buy rev A of Apple or any other hardware. The problems with the cooling and discoloration of the Macbooks is just another reminder of that.
post #17 of 191
Ok here is THE Product

Merom proc
GMA X3000 graphics
12.1 LCD screen
2 So-DIMM slots (1GB standard)
40GB Perpendicular 1.8" drive
No optical drive
FW, GigE ethernet, Draft N, BT 2.0
Dock options
3.5- 4lbs

$1699 sell like Hotcakes!
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #18 of 191
Quote:
Originally posted by xanthohappy
You mean no reason other than the most common reason people currently don't buy Macs... they're more expensive.

True...but their beauty alone is worth the extra buck
post #19 of 191
Quote:
Originally posted by xanthohappy

Exactly. Last week, Power Quotient International (PCI) introduced a 64 GB SATA flash drive at the low, low price of $2,000. For Wal-Mart shoppers, there are 32 GB drives available for only $1000. In addition to the bargain basement prices, you get the neck-snapping data rate of 32 MB/sec. Sign me up yesterday!
post #20 of 191
Quote:
Originally posted by Homestar06
True...but their beauty alone is worth the extra buck

You're not paying for the beauty, that's a bonus!
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #21 of 191
Maybe the analyst has been reading MacOSRumors... Because without a doubt this heralds the coming of the "MacBook Thin" (followed shortly, of course, by the Gamer's Dream MacBook Pro and iMac)!

"In Xanadu did Kubla Kahn a stately pleasure-dome decree."
"In Xanadu did Kubla Kahn a stately pleasure-dome decree."
post #22 of 191
Quote:
Originally posted by audiopollution
Macworld is in January.

Yeah. I was thinking about the dev conv.
post #23 of 191
(January)

"What, no ultra portable??!! Apple sucks! They let us down again! They never come through with the products that other people tell them they're making!"
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #24 of 191
I would go macbook thin if it had a dedicated gpu and a good display, which it probably won't have neither of. I would consider a macbook if it had a dedicated gpu and a good display too. MacBookPro 15 is too heavy, but I need that gpu since I'm working with gfx and video all the time. My line, powerbook 12, is ended and not replaced. Just when I need to update. Dang...
post #25 of 191
Quote:
Originally posted by palegolas
MacBookPro 15 is too heavy, but I need that gpu since I'm working with gfx and video all the time. My line, powerbook 12, is ended and not replaced. Just when I need to update. Dang...

Check the specs. MacBook Pro 15" is only very slightly heavier than MacBook, the difference is less than 10%.
post #26 of 191
Some of you all are nuts. If you have a 10" ultra portable, you don't want a dedicated power sucking GPU that kills your battery. I want 1.5 GHz speed with 10+ hours battery life.

PS I don't need an optical drive built in either.

Signed,

Hardcore MacThin dude
Hard-Core.
Hard-Core.
post #27 of 191
Something like this?
post #28 of 191
Quote:
Originally posted by faedera
Something like this?

I don't need the rotatable screen thing, but the 7 hour battery life I could live with (10 would be better though and I would sacrifice speed for battery life).

I like the size, 8.9 doesn't sound so bad and I don't need a touch sensitive screen.

So, yeah, like that.
Hard-Core.
Hard-Core.
post #29 of 191
I dub thee MacBook mini
post #30 of 191
Quote:
Originally posted by ogun7
I dub thee MacBook mini

Make mine a FlashBook

Seriously, I'm sticking a few gigs of flash into my trusty 12" PB in anticipation. Trusty and Rev. A ... what were Apple thinking?!?!
post #31 of 191
Quote:
Originally posted by AppleInsider

"We need to have devices that boot up very rapidly," Sean Maloney, the head of Intel's mobility group, told developers at the conference. "The same way you come off a plane and get a cell phone signal immediately."

.....because the 25 seconds it takes my MacBook to boot up is just waaaayyyyyy too slow, when i restart once every two or three weeks.....let's add a cool grand to the purchase price to (what?)- cut boot in half? [25 seconds x 25 times per year]= ~12 minutes per year now vs. 6 minutes spent restarting with flash?
post #32 of 191
*Cries because he just bought a MacBook a month ago*
post #33 of 191
Quote:
Originally posted by aplnub
I don't need the rotatable screen thing, but the 7 hour battery life I could live with (10 would be better though and I would sacrifice speed for battery life).

I like the size, 8.9 doesn't sound so bad and I don't need a touch sensitive screen.

So, yeah, like that.

I've two of these machines running XP. Must have the 3 cell battery because I don't get 7 hrs of life out ofa charged battery. Otherwise they're pretty nice so far.
post #34 of 191
Quote:
Originally posted by natec
.....because the 25 seconds it takes my MacBook to boot up is just waaaayyyyyy too slow, when i restart once every two or three weeks.....let's add a cool grand to the purchase price to (what?)- cut boot in half? [25 seconds x 25 times per year]= ~12 minutes per year now vs. 6 minutes spent restarting with flash?

I doubt it'll add $1000 to the price. They'll probably add 4-8GB of flash RAM, which won't cost that much. Remember that the 4GB iPod Nano is only $250. Figure closer to $150 for the RAM alone. And Apple's been reportedly preparing to double the memory in Nanos for the same price. Keep a 2.5" hard drive for regular storage. 1.8" drives are smaller but are slower, cost more and don't save much weight.

You reboot every few weeks? My 12" PB's uptime counter currently says 162 days. Okay, I never bothered updating it with the latest security updates, but still. If you really wanted to mock the article, you should note that Mac laptops reliably sleep and wake from sleep, unlike Windows laptops, so they're already good to go the moment you step off the plane.
post #35 of 191
Huh, reminds me of the 8" Mac tablet I have been going on about for the last four months or so

[deadhorse mode]

8" widescreen multi-touch LCD
1.0GHz ULV Core Solo CPU
533MHz FSB
512MB NAND flash memory
2GB DDR2 SDRAM (two SO-DIMM slots)
32GB 1.8" FlashRAM HDD
Intel GMA950 integrated GPU
WUSB (wireless USB)
AirPort Extreme
BlueTooth
Quad band cell capabilities
Pivoting iSight camera
stereo BlueTooth headset w/microphone
Stylus
Mac OS X 10.5
iLife '06
iWork '06

About the size of a DVD case (which is really close to a 16:10 ratio) and half again as thick...

[/deadhorse mode]

specs may change, four months is almost an eternity in microprocessor time

Huh
Late 2009 Unibody MacBook (modified)
2.26GHz Core 2 Duo CPU/8GB RAM/60GB SSD/500GB HDD
SuperDrive delete
Late 2009 Unibody MacBook (modified)
2.26GHz Core 2 Duo CPU/8GB RAM/60GB SSD/500GB HDD
SuperDrive delete
post #36 of 191
Here are some small ones looked at by PC Magazine:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1976109,00.asp

They may not match the ideal desired here, but they are as close as they get right now. Perhaps Apple could better them.
post #37 of 191
I think this would be totally cool.... I can't wait! I love small and light laptops. Although, it would be nice to have some kind of optical drive in it just for convenience. But, I do think the most important feature of it should be having a long battery life. My dream batt life would be 8 hours but anything close to that number would be great. Man, sounds like MacWorld is going to be exciting. Almost can't wait, but i'm enjoying the BlackBook in the meantime.
post #38 of 191
Before switching I used an IBM X-Series ThinkPad - about 3 pounds. It's an excellent form factor and I would not be surprised to see Apple deliver a MacBook mini within the year. I loved the ThinkPad, but wasn't impressed with Windows and the associated malware - hence the switch. A MacBook mini would do very well - especially with university students - if it was done well.
Ken
Ken
post #39 of 191
Quote:
Originally posted by melgross
It's interesting because I just read an article today as to how poorly the Robeson technology is working in Vista beta 2, as this is the MS OS that will support it.

Is it Robeson working poorly in Vista or is it Vista working poorly on Robeson?
post #40 of 191
Quote:
Originally posted by MacRonin
Huh, reminds me of the 8" Mac tablet I have been going on about for the last four months or so

[deadhorse mode]

8" widescreen multi-touch LCD
1.0GHz ULV Core Solo CPU
533MHz FSB
512MB NAND flash memory
2GB DDR2 SDRAM (two SO-DIMM slots)
32GB 1.8" FlashRAM HDD
Intel GMA950 integrated GPU
WUSB (wireless USB)
AirPort Extreme
BlueTooth
Quad band cell capabilities
Pivoting iSight camera
stereo BlueTooth headset w/microphone
Stylus
Mac OS X 10.5
iLife '06
iWork '06

About the size of a DVD case (which is really close to a 16:10 ratio) and half again as thick...

[/deadhorse mode]

specs may change, four months is almost an eternity in microprocessor time

Huh

That sounds a little similar to the Nokia 770 internet tablet... only good. I have a 770 and it is a very impressive device and meets most every requirement of an adjunct tablet that I would want from Apple (minus the userfriendliness and insane price tag... this was $300..)
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple seen delivering "ultra-portable" at Macworld