or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Reuters: Microsoft readying Apple iPod rival

Reuters: Microsoft readying Apple iPod rival

post #1 of 40
Microsoft Corp. is laying the groundwork to compete against Apple Computer's iPod digital entertainment device and iTunes service, sources familiar with the plans told Reuters on Friday.

The world's largest software maker reportedly held licensing discussions with the music industry to create its own music service.

At the meetings, an entertainment device that plays videos and music was also demonstrated, according to Reuters' source.

Microsoft has previously denied having aspirations of entering the digital music business, currently dominated by Apple in the United States.

On Thursday, the Redmond, Washington-based company announced a two-year transition process that will ultimately end with the departure of chairman Bill Gates.
post #2 of 40
Those sneeky bastards....

They claimed URGE was it.
They claimed MP3 players on the whole suck and only a cell phone is the way to go (an idea I loathe).

And now they want to make both.

Damnit Bill, just step your ass down already and let your company run into the ground.
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
post #3 of 40
Woo! Lower Audio prices!!
post #4 of 40
APPLE IS DOOOMED!!!!

sorry, I had to be the first to say it.
post #5 of 40
I think Microsoft should focus on their core business. They are trying to dabble in too many areas, while their flagship product is already an old cow before it ever Vistas the day of light...
For Apple's sake, I hope they do just as good a job with the MP3 player as Creative
post #6 of 40
Um... what kind of an article is this? Doesn't Microsoft already *have* licensing agreements and its own music service? Um, you know? http://music.msn.com/? Which was the primary store in Windows Media Player before this URGE non-sense?

And Microsoft just denied working on an iPod rival (the whole Japan mistranslation fiasco). Either something's fishy here, or Microsoft is so schizo, one hand of the company doesn't know what the other is doing.
"I have a dream, that one day, my posts will be judged by their content, not their spelling."
"I have a dream, that one day, my posts will be judged by their content, not their spelling."
post #7 of 40
ALL , NO ACTION!!
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #8 of 40
Quote:
Originally posted by applestockholder
I think Microsoft should focus on their core business. They are trying to dabble in too many areas, while their flagship product is already an old cow before it ever Vistas the day of light...
For Apple's sake, I hope they do just as good a job with the MP3 player as Creative

Yeah like the iPod is responsible for Apple's unwillingness to jump ship to another CPU platform and is the reason we're still stuck with sucky G4's and flatlined G5's ..... hey!

MS are up to something interesting stuff these days. Read: chaos!

I've had some time with Vista betas and I can assure you they are shamed by Panther, yet alone whatever Leopard will bring.
post #9 of 40
Quote:
Originally posted by Ireland
ALL , NO ACTION!!

Quote:
Originally posted by fuyutsuki
I've had some time with Vista betas and I can assure you they are shamed by Panther, yet alone whatever Leopard will bring.

They're shamed by Panther? Or Tiger? I think they're shamed by both, just clarifying.
post #10 of 40
No worries.

If MS builds it, it will be 5 years late and look like this:

post #11 of 40
Quote:
Originally posted by Gmac
No worries.

post #12 of 40
Quote:
Originally posted by DeaPeaJay
They're shamed by Panther? Or Tiger? I think they're shamed by both, just clarifying.

Of course Tiger and Panther. The only thing I didn't like about the 10.3 to 10.4 upgrade was the way the new shiny glass style menu bar clashes with the top of other windows which are generally darker shades. Oh and Panther's little Apple Menu icon was prettier than the new flat blue one. But these are about as small as details get!

Compared with XP however, Vista is nice to look at. A pain to run, a nightmare to actually use software with, but a bit prettier on the eyes. I'm sure the 90% are going to really enjoy their latest flavour of schadenfreude once it finally arrives. 8)
post #13 of 40
its going to be absolutely packed with features that the iPod lacks!

FEATURES!!
post #14 of 40
Quote:
Originally posted by nathan22t
its going to be absolutely packed with features that the iPod lacks!

FEATURES!!

Like a keyboard so you can play along!

Go Microsoft!!
post #15 of 40
MS is trying to be the be-all, end-all technology company, trying to dominate whatever market they think they can make a profit in by copying their competitor's best ideas and then flooding the market with their products in an attempt to overwhelm their competition. That might have worked in the 90's with Windows, but it hasn't worked for the Xbox, and I doubt it'll work here - they're years behind the times, and have zero momentum.

A strategy of taking on all the other major players at once (Apple, Sony, Google, Yahoo, etc. etc.) is a recipe for disaster. They're losing their sense of identity. They should take a lesson from their competitors: do one thing, and do it well.

It may take many years, but I predict that the Microsoft beast will eventually be overtaken by its more nimble, innovative competitors, unless this "restructuring" that they're talking about actually streamlines and reinvigorates the company.
post #16 of 40
PS - I love the pics, guys!

post #17 of 40
Any major push will keep Apple on it's toes and that, ladies and gentlemen, is the story of how chicken soup was invented.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #18 of 40
Quote:
Originally posted by SpamSandwich
Any major push will keep Apple on it's toes and that, ladies and gentlemen, is the story of how chicken soup was invented.

mmmm.. chicken soup.
post #19 of 40
Well, you know at first I thought, too little too late for MS but just look at their hardware accessories like their keyboards and mice. Microsoft actually makes nice keyboards and mice, can't say so much for their software. So, we will have to just wait and see. I doubt it'll have the nice class as Apple has but it probably will look very nice physically.

Their success will all depend on how well their service is implemented with their MP3 device, it'll either make it or break it. That we will have to see. I hope Apple's iPod will always remain top dog but we will never know until Microsoft gets into the game. I would love to do some MS bashing right now as I love the iPod but there is always that chance for something even cooler to come out....I hope not!
post #20 of 40
Quote:
Originally posted by nofear1az
Well, you know at first I thought, too little too late for MS but just look at their hardware accessories like their keyboards and mice. Microsoft actually makes nice keyboards, game controllers, and mice, can't say so much for their software. So, we will have to just wait and see.

Aside from keyboard, game controllers, and mice, and possibly Xbox, Microsoft has failed at every hardware ventures. Remember Microsoft's home theater remote control? Network routers? DVR? WebTV? Speakers?

I am not saying everything Apple touches turns into gold, but Microsoft's hardware division hardly has good track record.
post #21 of 40
Soooo if Microsoft starts making hardware, could we be looking at a spin off division by the name of Microhard?
post #22 of 40
Quote:
Originally posted by trailmaster308
Soooo if Microsoft starts making hardware, could we be looking at a spin off division by the name of Microhard?

...or Megahard.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #23 of 40
Quote:

Quote:
Originally posted by SpamSandwich
...or Megahard.

post #24 of 40
I think that if you look at M$ objectively, you cannot deny that they have oodles of money and resources. You can't deny that they they control 95% of the world computer market with their OS. (Doesn't matter that it sucks.) And most people (Even the most loyal Gates lovers), would agree, that if you merged M$ with Apple, and put Jobs in control, that you would have a very powerful company. So with all of this, you would think that a resurrection of M$ is VERY possible in a whim, should you get someone with enough influence, innovation, vision and control as Steve Jobs in power at M$, that it would have NO PROBLEM of dominating everything.
But..... there is Gates. I doubt that even when he steps down from the day to day operations at M$ that he will EVER TOTALLY release the reigns of M$. This is one of Apple's saving graces. The other is an old problem. This is apparent with Governments, companies, and even relationships. This has to do with problems that are SO, SO imbedded into the core, that there is no solution. That these things cannot be fixed with just a few adjustment, or personnel, or different systems. They must simply end. And with that a new takes it's place. This has been the pattern of all of history. And that is the ultimate fate of M$. Whether it is now, 5 years from now, or even later than that. I personally think that they have been living on borrowed time for quite some time now.8)
By the way GMac, nice rendition of the M$ "True" video ipod. M$ will surely steal this idea from you.
-ReCompile-
"No matter where you go, There you are"
- Buckaroo Bonzai
-ReCompile-
"No matter where you go, There you are"
- Buckaroo Bonzai
post #25 of 40
Quote:
Originally posted by Gmac
No worries.

and sell in the hundreds of millions
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
post #26 of 40
Quote:

They have been making joysticks, mice, keyboards, and game consoles with accessories for years now...they work hand-in-hand with their mobile partners like HP/Compaq on windows mobile and smartphone editions, working with Dell and creative and so on for Windows Media DRM, and I am sure that I am forgetting one or two things here...

MS may not be commonly recognised as a hardware brand, but make no mistake, they know what they are doing -- most of their hardware is really great stuff, the software is where it falls apart.
post #27 of 40
I'm sure they'll use their monopoly to get quite a few people to buy it. Having ads for it popup in Windows Media Player (which is installed on all Windows machines) is bound to achieve that.

But it is unlikely to have much street cred. It'll be about as cool as the Dell DJ Ditty.

Which is not at all.
post #28 of 40
Quote:
Originally posted by filburt
Aside from keyboard, game controllers, and mice, and possibly Xbox...

Glad you said 'possibly' because the Xbox is a gray area...it isn't exactly an amazing seller and it was a huge loss leader. The whole project would have been scrapped long ago if MS wasn't absolutely determined to try and take over the gaming console market.
post #29 of 40
I'm nervous. I thought the XBox would fail too. And PocketPC. And MSN. I'm nervous. On the other hand...this will probably kill AAPL for a bit, then perhaps I'll buy and it'll turn out to be untrue and it will rebound and I will be rich I tells ya, rich! One can hope...
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
post #30 of 40
give it up microsoft why do they think they can dip their greedy hands into everything?

stick with the xbox and drop everything else =)
post #31 of 40
*gulps down a gallon of kool-aid*
MICROSOFT SUCKS! THE MICROiPOD WILL SUCK!
muah ah hahah haha hah hahha

sorry peoples, that's the best i came up with today
and yes, great pics posted on this thread
and nice that user blackbird is providing the laugh track,
hence legitimising our jokes.
post #32 of 40
Quote:
Originally posted by sunilraman
...nice that user blackbird is providing the laugh track,
hence legitimising our jokes.

post #33 of 40
I don't think people are taking this seriously enough. Microsoft could kill the iPod if they really, really wanted to. They have 80 billion just sitting in the bank they could eat. For our and Apple's sake I hope this rumor isn't true. On the other hand, I hope we don't find out for a while and the stock tanks so I can buy some right after I get a salaried job. 8)
post #34 of 40
Quote:
Originally posted by Aquatic
I don't think people are taking this seriously enough. Microsoft could kill the iPod if they really, really wanted to. They have 80 billion just sitting in the bank they could eat. For our and Apple's sake I hope this rumor isn't true. On the other hand, I hope we don't find out for a while and the stock tanks so I can buy some right after I get a salaried job. 8)

Agreed.

I think that is the reason why Jobs is holding back the real iPod video.
post #35 of 40
Quote:

It is entirely possible that the barriers to entry in the MP3 market are already so high that the market is effectively closed to new competitors. You can trade your Motorola phone in for a Nokia, but you can't exactly change MP3 platforms when none of your iTunes tracks are going to work on the Microsoft player.

I don't see any competitor knocking a serious dent in Apple's MP3 market power unless Apple opens up its track licensing to competitor players.
post #36 of 40
Quote:
Originally posted by Porchland
It is entirely possible that the barriers to entry in the MP3 market are already so high that the market is effectively closed to new competitors. You can trade your Motorola phone in for a Nokia, but you can't exactly change MP3 platforms when none of your iTunes tracks are going to work on the Microsoft player.

I don't see any competitor knocking a serious dent in Apple's MP3 market power unless Apple opens up its track licensing to competitor players.

very good point.

And besides, this IS microsoft we're talking about. They couldn't design a simple interface to save their life. That's why they're drowing.
post #37 of 40
Porchland you're dead wrong. M$ could and WOULD crush Apple like a BUG if we didn't have antitrust laws. If they cancelled Office, Macs would shrink to a 1% or less market share and NEVER recover. Period. They could and would do the same with an iPod clone. I think that is probably the ONE reason they have not done so with the iPod. The DoJ might get on their case. And especially considering the big-business Republicans are most likely on the way out soon, hence a new DoJ.

Nevertheless, I'm nervous. Just because Vista is late doesn't mean MS is going out of business. I'm watching this closely. I'm sure this is the reason AAPL is tanking now, at least in large part.
post #38 of 40
Quote:
Porchland you're dead wrong. M$ could and WOULD crush Apple like a BUG if we didn't have antitrust laws. If they cancelled Office, Macs would shrink to a 1% or less market share and NEVER recover. Period. They could and would do the same with an iPod clone. I think that is probably the ONE reason they have not done so with the iPod. The DoJ might get on their case. And especially considering the big-business Republicans are most likely on the way out soon, hence a new DoJ.

Nevertheless, I'm nervous. Just because Vista is late doesn't mean MS is going out of business. I'm watching this closely. I'm sure this is the reason AAPL is tanking now, at least in large part.

Apple hardly depends on Office to survive
post #39 of 40
who needs ms office!

when google offers word processing and presentation software it's bye bye ms office.

they already have a spreadsheets app that is very cool.
post #40 of 40
Mmm ok I went a little to the hyperbolic extreme. Nevertheless I think they could make a dent in the iPod but they'd have to cheat, by making Vista "break" iTunes all the time with "updates" and use WMP to tie in to their player. But I think even this current DoJ might give 'em a little call if that were to occur.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Reuters: Microsoft readying Apple iPod rival