or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Replaced iPod HD, PB12" will not recognize it

Replaced iPod HD, PB12" will not recognize it

post #1 of 40
I've just replaced the hard drive and battery for my third gen. 15 GB iPod. The hard drive is the exact same as the old one except that it is 20 GB and doesn't have an Apple barcode on it.

Now I see a folder icon with an exclamation mark. This is because the hard drive is not formatted, I assume. So I try to run the updater, but my computer doesn't recognize the iPod. It is plugged in via firewire.

Any ideas? Thank you!
post #2 of 40
OK, I've opened System Profiler, and under FireWire, it lists an "Unknown Device" from manufacturer "Unknown."

How do I format the hard drive so iTunes will recognize it as an iPod?
post #3 of 40
You should be able to format the drive with disk utility and then try the restore option in the ipod updater.

(That's my 'just-woke-up-still-haven't-had-a-coffee' answer ... but I think it's right.)
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
post #4 of 40
I've opened Disc Utility, but it only recognizes my hard drive, not the attached firewire drive.
post #5 of 40
Quote:
Originally posted by Danosaur
I've opened Disc Utility, but it only recognizes my hard drive, not the attached firewire drive.

Disc Utility doesn't list the firewire drive at all?
post #6 of 40
No.

The iPod screen is still stuck on the Folder with Exclamation mark icon.
post #7 of 40
Quote:
No.

The iPod screen is still stuck on the Folder with Exclamation mark icon.

Switch the 'hold' button on.
Press 'play' and 'menu' buttons at the same time until the iPod resets.

Did that work?
post #8 of 40
That restarts the iPod, the Apple logo appears for about 10 or 15 seconds, then the file folder icon again.
post #9 of 40
I'm dreading opening the iPod again to check the connections.
post #10 of 40
Quote:
I'm dreading opening the iPod again to check the connections.

One more thing to try:

3G iPods: you can force it to enter disk mode by rebooting your iPod (hold down menu and play/pause for a few seconds (until the screen blanks out), and then quickly hold down rewind and fast forward).

Try to get it into disk mode, and attach it to the computer. Run Disk Utility and format it. Then run the updater to restore the firmware.
post #11 of 40
I held down play and menu to reboot it and then held down ff and rw to get to disk mode, but after the reboot, the apple logo remains on the screen and doesn't go away.
post #12 of 40
Quote:
I held down play and menu to reboot it and then held down ff and rw to get to disk mode, but after the reboot, the apple logo remains on the screen and doesn't go away.

What happens if you attach it to the computer now?
post #13 of 40
Same as before. Unknown device.

Do you know the key combo to get into the debug menu?
post #14 of 40
OK, I'm in the debug menu. I'll see if I can find anything. Any hints on what to look for?
post #15 of 40
HDD SCAN

HDD FAIL

this is the same as with my old hard drive. Could it be a connection problem?
post #16 of 40
Quote:
Same as before. Unknown device.

Do you know the key combo to get into the debug menu?

Reset with 'menu' & 'play/pause' (approx 10 seconds)

When the Apple menu shows up, hold 'Rewind', 'Fast Forward' and 'Select'.

You'll be in diagnostic mode, then. Use Rewind and FForward to scroll through the selections.
post #17 of 40
I'm afraid it just got worse.

I put my ipod to sleep through diagnostic mode, then switched the hold on. I opened the iPod to check the connections, they seem fine. I reassembled the iPod and tried to turn it on, but it remains asleep. I can't wake it up.

I've attached it to power, tried flipping the hold switch a few times, and tried rebooting, diagnostic, and disk mode combinations.
post #18 of 40
Quote:
I'm afraid it just got worse.

I put my ipod to sleep through diagnostic mode, then switched the hold on. I opened the iPod to check the connections, they seem fine. I reassembled the iPod and tried to turn it on, but it remains asleep. I can't wake it up.

I've attached it to power, tried flipping the hold switch a few times, and tried rebooting, diagnostic, and disk mode combinations.

Leave it attached to the power for 15 minutes or so.

Then disconnect from power and try again.
post #19 of 40
OK.

I have no idea why it is behaving like this. And I have no clue how I'm going to format this hard drive. I can't get it into disk mode and my computer refuses to recognize it.

Would using a USB cable instead, or a PC instead help? Or at this point is definitely a connection problem or a motherboard failure?

Just last week I tried to replace my old hard drive with a functioning hard drive, but found out it was 8mm thick, rather than the 5mm of my old drive. I couldn't reassemble it, but I was able to connect the new drive and rip music off of it on to my computer. So unless I damaged something while trying to install this new hard drive, I think my connections should be fine.
post #20 of 40
Quote:
OK.

I have no idea why it is behaving like this. And I have no clue how I'm going to format this hard drive. I can't get it into disk mode and my computer refuses to recognize it.

Would using a USB cable instead, or a PC instead help? Or at this point is definitely a connection problem or a motherboard failure?

Just last week I tried to replace my old hard drive with a functioning hard drive, but found out it was 8mm thick, rather than the 5mm of my old drive. I couldn't reassemble it, but I was able to connect the new drive and rip music off of it on to my computer. So unless I damaged something while trying to install this new hard drive, I think my connections should be fine.

If you have access to a USB cable, try it. I've just looked at some websites and people have reported success using a USB cable with a Windows PC.
post #21 of 40
Cool I will try that soon.
post #22 of 40
Quote:
Cool I will try that soon.

Any luck?
post #23 of 40
No, I tried on a Windows machine with a USB cable and it popped up with "unrecognized device." The iPod software updater also wouldn't recognize it.

I'm at a complete loss.
post #24 of 40
Using the diagnostic mode, I've figured out how to place it into disk mode, but when I do so, it reboots then stays on the Apple logo permanently. It still does not show up in disk utility and system profiler only recognizes it as an "unknown device."
post #25 of 40
OK, I've opened the iPod again and put my old hard drive back in. The iPod exhibits the same symptoms with the old hard drive as with the new hard drive.

Interestingly though, when I attached a 20 gig drive from a 2nd generation iPod, my laptop recognized that drive and I was able to rip music off of it.

So then, what is the problem? Any ideas?
post #26 of 40
OK, so maybe I was a little wrong. You did plug the drive in correctly right? Some laptop drives have jumper pins that are unused and if you plug the cable in using a jumper as pin 1 nothing will work. That's all I can come up with right now.

I'll quote my previous post so you can laugh at how wrong I was. 8)

Quote:
I think it is safe to say your hard drive is not working in some way. It is best to troubleshoot and get your iPod working before you tinker with computer software. You need to get the iPod recognized before you can do anything.

1) Power requirements
Make sure your power requirements match those of the iPod. The iPod has super slow drives that spin at like 1200RPM or something that may take considerably less power than what your iPod batteries can provide.

2) Connection
My 3rd gen doesn't like USB. It will sync for a few minutes and disconnect its self. The 3rd gen iPod prefers firewire and that is what I recommend you use.

3) Test the drive
Stick the drive in a laptop and run the hardware test CD if you can. You can also get desktop IDE->laptop IDE adapters that will allow you to install a laptop hard drive in a desktop computer. They are insanely cheap like $5-$10.

My money is on option #1. A hard drive not properly spinning up will cause all these problems and it sounds like you put it back together properly.

Good luck.
horrid misuse of cool technology
SSBA.COM
SSBA.COM
post #27 of 40
Thanks for the reply.

I think I'm on the way to solving this problem. I think you were right about the connection problem. I opened the iPod again and this time firmly set the chip in place (not the pin connector, but the chip on the motherboard).

I then reassembled the iPod with the new hard drive in place. I plugged it into the wall for a few minutes, and it booted up again with the folder icon.

This time when I plugged it into my computer via firewire, it went into disk mode. Huzzah!

System profiler now recognizes it as an Apple iPod with a 20 gig drive. Disk Utility recognizes it too.

However, my iPod stays in disk mode, clicking each second, with the hold lock icon in place even though the hold switch is off. It says "do not disconnect."

I tried running the iPod updater, it recognizes the iPod, so I choose restore, and a task bar shows up. It doesn't move and evenutally it gives me the error message:

"The iPod could not be unmounted because it is in use. Please close any open files on the iPod and try again."

I've tried disconnecting it, and the screen turns to "OK to disconnect" with a check mark and the clicking stops. However, the hold switch icon remains and I can not reset the iPod.
post #28 of 40
Here are two more error messages I've received from the iPod updater:

"The data partition could not be found and could not be formatted. Disconnect iPod, reconnect and then try restoring again."

"A single iPod was detected, but it must be mounted on the desktop for this operation to work."
post #29 of 40
I've also received the message, after connecting my iPod to the computer, that "this disk is not readable" with the options of "initialize," "ignore," or "eject." Clicking initialize opens disk utility. Disk utility lists the iPod but does not give the option of repair.
post #30 of 40
This message is the most recurring one:

"The data partition could not be found and could not be formatted. Disconnect iPod, reconnect and then try restoring again."
post #31 of 40
If it is a new hard drive, there is nothing to repair. Reformat and it should show up as a normal drive. Than that iPod utility should work. *Crosses fingers*
SSBA.COM
SSBA.COM
post #32 of 40
How do I reformat it? iPod updater won't work.

How do I reformat it through disk utility?
post #33 of 40
Select he iPod on the left list. click the erase tab, and choose a format.

It doesn't matter what format since the iPod utility will reformat anyways.
SSBA.COM
SSBA.COM
post #34 of 40
How long is this supposed to take?The log says that it is "creating a Partition Map" but the task bar is stuck at about 1/20th of the way complete. I'm afraid to quit Disk Utility because it warns that the disk may be unusable...
post #35 of 40
About a 15 seconds. 2 minutes tops.
SSBA.COM
SSBA.COM
post #36 of 40
Disk utility is freezing on me. I can hear the iPod clicking for about 15 seconds, during which Disk Utility.app is unresponsive. Then a task bar appears below saying "Creating Partition Map" but it's just stuck there.

So I disconnected the iPod. It was pretty warm. I disconnected, even though it said "Do Not Disconnect." It now says "OK To Disconnect."

I can not reset the iPod. I hold the buttons down but it doesn't respond. I'd love to put it in diagnostic mode so I can check the HDD SCAN.

*One small thing that annoys me about OS X is the Aqua task bar. The way it animates looks really pretty but its tricky too. Sometimes - just as an optical illusion - when it is actually standing still, it looks like its actually slowly moving forward.

A few times I've held my cursor there for a minute to see if it had moved.
post #37 of 40
I do that cursor thing too.

You may try a different format like FAT32 or unix or something. Maybe something else will have better luck. It doesn't really matter since it will be reformatted again later.

A restart couldn't hurt either.
SSBA.COM
SSBA.COM
post #38 of 40
I tried again using Unix File System. This time I could hear the iPod hard drive clicking for about 2 minutes while the spinning beach ball did its thing in disk utility. Then I got this error message:

Disk Erase Error
Disk Erase failed with the error:
Unknown error: -5349

I don't see the FAT32 option. Only Mac OS Extended, Journaled or not, Case Sensitive or not, MS DOS file system, and UNIX file system.
post #39 of 40
Oh, MS DOS. (Same thing actually)

But something else is happening here and I'm afraid it is beyond me at the moment.
SSBA.COM
SSBA.COM
post #40 of 40
Sorry to dig up such an old thread but I was wondering if any one found a solution for this. I'm in the exact same situation. I can't get it on disk mode regularly, but I managed to get it on disk mode through the debug menu. USB mass storage disk appears but it always freezes. I'm running on windows 98se but It works fine with my other ipods. I was already at a friends house to get it working so before I go again. I was wondering if I go will the same situation happen with me as the same guy in this thread or did someone find why its acting dumb like this.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Genius Bar
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Replaced iPod HD, PB12" will not recognize it