or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Best app for rotating jpegs?

Best app for rotating jpegs?

post #1 of 6
I need to rotate a few hundred jpg images, making individual rotations on each one (not batch rotate). I've been using GraphicConverter, but after a few dozen I noticed a troubling degradation in image quality after rotation. This is using GC's more accurate internal algorithm instead of Quicktime's, with error correction.

Are there any graphics pros here that know of a way to rotate jpgs that's less "lossy"? These images are fairly low res, so I can't afford to lose any quality. Any suggestions are much appreciated.
post #2 of 6
Quote:
Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg
I need to rotate a few hundred jpg images, making individual rotations on each one (not batch rotate). I've been using GraphicConverter, but after a few dozen I noticed a troubling degradation in image quality after rotation. This is using GC's more accurate internal algorithm instead of Quicktime's, with error correction.

Are there any graphics pros here that know of a way to rotate jpgs that's less "lossy"? These images are fairly low res, so I can't afford to lose any quality. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

iPhoto will do this. So too will GraphicConverter. The only thing is that you cannot accept GC's default compression ratio when you save your rotated image.
post #3 of 6
If you're using a PPC based Mac, I highly recommend Photo Tool CM.

You can do everything you want right in the Finder, and it's 100% lossless rotation.

Unfortunately, there's no UB version for Intel based Macs, and plug ins don't work in Rosetta.
post #4 of 6
GraphicConverter is a good app for doing this. However, to preserve quality, change the image to something that isn't lossy like TIFF. Then do all the rotates and such. The final step may be to go back to jpeg if file size is a concern. Otherwise, keep the images in anything but jpeg if you care about image quality.
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally posted by rrabu
GraphicConverter is a good app for doing this. However, to preserve quality, change the image to something that isn't lossy like TIFF. Then do all the rotates and such. The final step may be to go back to jpeg if file size is a concern. Otherwise, keep the images in anything but jpeg if you care about image quality.

No matter what format it's in in the interim, if you open a jpeg file, and your final version is saved as a new jpeg file, you will lose quality. It doesn't matter what format you work with. Unless the final jpeg image has EXACTLY the same settings and size and resolution, color depth, etc.

What "lossless rotate" does is preserve the identical settings by "flipping" the algorithm somehow, so that there's no change in the data quality. you can't do this when you rotate in PS or Graphic Converter, because no matter how you do it, you'll always be saving as a new JPEG with new settings. That's why I recommend Photo Tool CM.
post #6 of 6
Try Xee for lossless rotation:

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id...Container_link

Don't worry about the images looking jagged in the viewer - it uses OpenGL for fast viewing.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Best app for rotating jpegs?