iMac 20"/2 GHz Core 2 Duo/2 GB RAM/250 GB/SuperDrive
PowerBook G4 12"/1 GHz/1.25 GB RAM/60GB/Combo
iMac G3 333 MHz/96 MB...

MacBook Pro 15" (Unibody)/2.4GHz Core 2 Duo/2 GB RAM/250GB HD/SuperDrive
iMac 20"/2 GHz Core 2 Duo/2 GB RAM/250 GB/SuperDrive
PowerBook G4 12"/1 GHz/1.25 GB RAM/60GB/Combo
iMac G3 333 MHz/96 MB...

post #2 of 37
There's some strange anomalies; for example, the about box lists DDR RAM, whereas all Intel Macs come with DDR2 RAM.
post #3 of 37
What's more interesting (if no hoax) are the tabbed Finder windows. We also see darker window colors and an icon that suggests a merger of Address Book and iCal.
2x2.7 PowerMac - 1.25 Powerbook - 10.4 Tiger - '65 Mustang
post #4 of 37
Also Internet Explorer seems to be the Windows version. Does the Jan 14 date on the address book suggest the release date?
When they said "Think Different", I ran with it.
post #5 of 37
Very convincing..if it's a hoax then you certainly fooled me!!
I'm hoping this is not a hoax, cause I love it!!
post #6 of 37
I'm hoping this isn't a hoax because the metal has finally stopped looking ugly in that screenshot.

But I really sort of worry, what will make developers want to develop for Mac when it's this easy to run Windows programs?

Now for the details: I spy with my little eye a Boot Camp-related menubar item, what seems to be a menubar item performing the same task as the number-switcher 1-2 on the screen, and a new drop-down menu next to the Actions button on the Finder window, probably just a path hierarchy that drops down but regrouped.

Nice folder-bookmarks, I bet they drop down to be a browsable folder hierarchy.

And, of course, tabbed finder. I wonder when they'll just group Finder and Safari together, yeesh. (yeah, sounds familiar)
post #7 of 37
Its a fake simply because as others have pointed out that it's a desktop background.

I really think the idea of basically making the finder into a "surf your hard drive like you surf the web" kinda deal. Tabs for quick folder access, bookmark certain key points on your drive.

Maybe it could go a step further and really integrate with iWeb!
Example: Create finder pages for you hard drive that will render like any other webpage but are just a new way to interact and see your documents. Thus allowing you to truly theme you finder. Just write a webpage in iWeb!

http://oregonstate.edu/~dowdyg/Other/iWebFinder.jpg
post #8 of 37
That Finder window looks like Pathfinder 4 with the Uno Shade theme applied.

I'm dubious.

Do what you will, but harm none.

Do what you will, but harm none.

post #9 of 37
We don't know exactly what that morph-through-the-center function is, so we can't really judge whether the menubar and dock should be affected by it.
post #10 of 37
Quote:
Originally posted by Placebo
But I really sort of worry, what will make developers want to develop for Mac when it's this easy to run Windows programs?

The availability of sophisticated frameworks such as Growl and Sparkle, for one.

I'm inclined to agree, though, that the risk is too high. Cf. OS/2.
post #11 of 37
I will believe this is real. What I would have liked to have seen is a Windows app that had focus so I could see what Apple's menu bar looks like. Does the apple turn into a window? Will menu items show on the menu bar or will just the name of the application show along with the OS in brackets like:

Microsoft Access 2003 [Windows XP Home SP2]

If just the name shows will we at least get a "Quit [App Name]" and maybe the Hide [App Name]/Hide Others/Show All group?
post #12 of 37
Quote:
Originally posted by Chucker
The availability of sophisticated frameworks such as Growl and Sparkle, for one.

Actually, OS/2 died out because of it's price. By the time OS/2 finally got around to supporting Windows apps, it was already pretty much dead.
post #13 of 37
Quote:

Yeah, Growl just turns it all around.
post #14 of 37
Quote:
We don't know exactly what that morph-through-the-center function is, so we can't really judge whether the menubar and dock should be affected by it.

It seems to suggest a transition between multiple desktops. At least that was my impression.

If that is the case, I would think the dock and menubar don't necessarily need to be affected by the animation.

That's not to say, however, that I'm throwing my hat in with the "it's real" crowd.
post #15 of 37
Quote:
Yeah, Growl just turns it all around.

Well, obviously! You could write the shittiest piece of word processing, refuse to adhere to any standards, come up with a buggy parser for a terribly-designed proprietary, binary and closed format, and piss off all your customersÂ

Âbut if only you added notification support with helpful notices Ã* la "You just finished writing another sentence", your software would sell like hotcakes.

Obviously.

post #16 of 37
I'd pay $129 just to have no f%$#ing brushed metal!
post #17 of 37
Quote:
Originally posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R

Unsanity's Shapeshifter won't do that? (I don't have it but assume it must.) Could save you $109....

I'm calling foul on the screenshots.

--B

post #18 of 37
It's fake 'cuz Apple would never merge iCal and Address Book.
It's fake 'cuz there's no way to resize the sidebar in the Finder (or at least not grab handles...this would be very un-Apple like).
It's fake because Core Duos only take DDR2.
It's fake because Apple never puts the version number on dev builds until RC.
Tabs in the Finder? Gimme a break.
post #19 of 37
If this really was Leopard it would show any number of interesting or exciting things that Apple is putting into it that we have heard nothing about.

Instead, they are showing 3 of the most common "I WISH APPLE WOULD . . ." requests people whine about all the time.

If Apple is really going to 'fix' the Finder - we'll see it.
Adding tabs and favorites does nothing for the issues or really improving how we interact with it.
post #20 of 37
Fake because Apple Legal hasn't taken them down.
post #21 of 37
The icon of the alleged iCal/Address Book unified app keeps the big "@" symbol of address book, which relegates the "todays date" display of the iCal icon to a tiny tiny unreadable font at the bottom-- which completely eliminates any advantage of having the current date on the dock icon in the first place.

It's a trivial thing, but there is simply no way Apple would do this-- indeed, there is no reason for anyone to do this, unless that someone was mocking up a screenshot and they wanted to make it clear that a rumored merged app was one of the "new things".
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #22 of 37
I hope its fake, because I would never want to be able to double click a Windows '.exe' file and be able to run it without anything on Mac OS X. That would open a big door for spyware since .exe files can contain anything and you wouldnt know, where as .apps, .dmg etc. they cant install automatically and you at least can check to see whats in the package before you can commit.Please Apple dont be stupid and dont bring .exe to Mac OS X. Thank you.
"Did your house just explode?"

"Its the most fun in the park, when your laughing in the dark."

"You better watch yourself, or the Crimson Clown will get you."
"Did your house just explode?"

"Its the most fun in the park, when your laughing in the dark."

"You better watch yourself, or the Crimson Clown will get you."
post #23 of 37
It's also fake because nobody would simply post 2 screenshots. While the screenshots do show a few new features, there's just no very much to see. I'm sure someone that wanted to hit it big would have provided a more complete overview of Leopard.

Also, Apple was hiring someone to overhaul Aqua (presumably so that it works well at various PPI displays (rez independence)...that Aqua UI doesn't look very revamped to me. Just looks like Tiger. Rez independence *is* coming in Leopard, there's already too many hints of it in the Safari blog and SVN change logs. So, naturally, someone that really wanted to show Leopard would have shown a screenshot of the resolution independence feature of Leopard. *That* would have been difficult to fake and would require some artistic voodoo.
post #24 of 37
FWIW, there's a third screenshot up now.

Linky
post #25 of 37
Quote:
Originally posted by chartpacs
FWIW, there's a third screenshot up now.

Linky

Assuming that screenshot is real: atrocious UI on Apple's part (Vista's Explorer does this a lot better). Assuming it's fake, which seems a lot more likely: highly uncreative.
post #26 of 37
And what's with that weird mixture of Mac OS- and Unix-style paths? "Macintosh HD/Library". It's either "/Library", or "Macintosh HD:Library". A mixture of the two? Ouch.
post #27 of 37
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave K.
Fake because Apple Legal hasn't taken them down.

tru.dat
post #28 of 37
Quote:
Assuming that screenshot is real: atrocious UI on Apple's part (Vista's Explorer does this a lot better). Assuming it's fake, which seems a lot more likely: highly uncreative.

How the heck is that atrocious UI if Spotlight isn't?
post #29 of 37
Quote:
How the heck is that atrocious UI if Spotlight isn't?

Who said Spotlight isn't?
post #30 of 37
Let's assume this is a real screenshot of the Finder that is going to make its debut in Leopard for a second. Here's my take...

Pros:

- The new Finder theme looks a lot more slick than the current brushed metal theme

- The idea of tabs and drop down folders in the toolbar is a welcome feature.

Cons:

- Besides tabs and drop down folders in the toolbar, the Finder appears to lack any real new features: metadata browsing, group view for all folders, a drop down arrow in the search box displaying previous searches, etc. I sure hope there is more that just isn't shown. Otherwise, it's kinda of a lackluster upgrade to the Finder.

-----------

On another note, where did the pill shaped button in the Finder's toolbar go? Are they planning on phasing this out or what?
Mac OS X Leopard vs. Windows Vista
http://www.macvswindows.com
Mac OS X Leopard vs. Windows Vista
http://www.macvswindows.com
post #31 of 37
Quote:
And what's with that weird mixture of Mac OS- and Unix-style paths? "Macintosh HD/Library". It's either "/Library", or "Macintosh HD:Library". A mixture of the two? Ouch.

Not sure what you mean but if choose Go-->Go to Folder from the finder (in Tiger) and then type "Macintosh HD/Library" the finder takes me there just fine.

Dave
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
post #32 of 37
Quote:
Originally posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R

I use an app called Whiteout. It cleans the Finder - Yay!
"There's no bigot like a religious bigot and there's no religion more fanatical than that espoused by Macintosh zealots." ~Martin Veitch, IT Week [31-01-2003]
"There's no bigot like a religious bigot and there's no religion more fanatical than that espoused by Macintosh zealots." ~Martin Veitch, IT Week [31-01-2003]
post #33 of 37
Well, the jury 's just in: it's a fake. The guy who posted them (and made them) admitted it.
post #34 of 37
Quote:
Originally posted by BigBlue
Well, the jury 's just in: it's a fake. The guy who posted them (and made them) admitted it.

Sure is a good time to say "in before the ...." come on Mods don't fail me now.
post #35 of 37
Not locking just to spite DaveGee.

post #36 of 37
Quote:
Originally posted by Jambo
Not locking just to spite DaveGee.

I love it when the mods are cranky!
post #37 of 37
Quote:
Originally posted by BigBlue

If he lied in the first place, why would you believe him now? I'm finally convinced, they are real!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › New Leopard Screens