or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › The next iMac

The next iMac

post #1 of 177
Which Intel chip do you guys think Apple will put in there updated iMac?
post #2 of 177
Definitely 'Conroe', no doubt about it.
I'm hoping for a conroe cpu with 23"display, oh boy~~cross my fingers..
post #3 of 177
Quote:
Originally posted by patr_1_8
Which Intel chip do you guys think Apple will put in there updated iMac?

Conroe
onlooker

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
onlooker

post #4 of 177
i vote Merom

Apple could not use Conroe at all
post #5 of 177
Quote:
Originally posted by nathan22t
Apple could not use Conroe at all

Elaborate why, and remember that the same iMac design previously used a G5, with considerably more heat output.
post #6 of 177
Quote:
Originally posted by Chucker
Elaborate why, and remember that the same iMac design previously used a G5, with considerably more heat output.

I think merom because it would allow them to retain the silent operation of the current iMac. They could put in a conroe, but would they be able to keep such a quiet machine?

Seriously, it's one of my favorite things about mine. It's amazingly quiet.
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
post #7 of 177
So is mine.

I vote Conroe.
alles sal reg kom
alles sal reg kom
post #8 of 177
I vote Conroe
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #9 of 177
From $1300 to $1700 it better be Conroe.
post #10 of 177
Quote:
Originally posted by Flounder
I think merom because it would allow them to retain the silent operation of the current iMac. They could put in a conroe, but would they be able to keep such a quiet machine?

Seriously, it's one of my favorite things about mine. It's amazingly quiet.

No, Conroe likely wouldn't be as quiet _but it would be cheaper. Wouldn't be surprised to see Apple take $100 or $200 off the price *while* having faster specs.

Can't do that with Merom.
post #11 of 177
I vote conroe
post #12 of 177
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #13 of 177
maconroe?

*drum roll*
post #14 of 177
Quote:
Originally posted by fooey
maconroe?

*drum roll*

-- Mike Eggleston
-- Mac Finatic since 1984.
-- Proud Member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals
-- Wii #: 8913 3004 4519 2027
-- Mike Eggleston
-- Mac Finatic since 1984.
-- Proud Member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals
-- Wii #: 8913 3004 4519 2027
post #15 of 177
Conroe.

Nov '09 | iMac 21.5" C2D 3.06 Ghz | Intel 330 240GB SSD | ATI

Sep '12| Toshiba 14" 1366 x 768! | i5 3rd Gen 6GB| Intel x25-m 120GB SSD | Win 7|  Viewsonic VX2255wmb 22" LCD
iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

Sep '12| Toshiba 14" 1366 x 768! | i5 3rd Gen 6GB| Intel x25-m 120GB SSD | Win 7|  Viewsonic VX2255wmb 22" LCD
iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

post #16 of 177
but when?

Which comes out first Conroe or Merom
post #17 of 177
When do you guys think this iMac update would come out?
post #18 of 177
Quote:
Originally posted by patr_1_8
When do you guys think this iMac update would come out?

October 2.
post #19 of 177
Well here it is the new iMac with 30"display and firwire 800..
Hee Yah!!
post #20 of 177
Not only is the new 30" Mac Pro the best creative tool your arm can use,
It will cost you an arm as well.

Apple, think different!
post #21 of 177
Quote:
Originally posted by hanent

First error, the ad talks about the heat path, even shows little hot & cold arrows indicating flow direction (put your coffee cup by the red arrow, always nice & warm); but when we see the side shot, no vents

You managed to get the optical slot on there, and spaced the vents?!?

And the vents are where the speakers would be, if it follows the iMac component placement, as your inclusion of an 'iChin' would lead one to believe!

Come on, brah!

;^p

That said

I see this as a possibility with the future low-voltage Woodcrest units

Especially if it could do the stuff like the interactive multi-input touchscreen video that made the rounds awhile back

Maybe dual hot-swap bays for HDDs (and a third regular internal HDD for boot & apps, duh)

Would also need replacable PCIExpress graphics, of the workstation-class OpenGL variety Preferably SLI/CrossFire, or even Quad SLI iplementations!

Course I would doubt that would be fit into a two inch think chassis

Hell, bill the thing as a modern animators light table (with rotating screen and all), include Final Cut Studio, Aperture & Shake (aka 'Phenomenon') in the price and sell tens of thousands to animation schools & massive production-line style studios everywhere

Especially in conjunction with a solid, relatively bug-free Shake replacement; a product like this could cement a place for Apple as THE industry standard for compositing

Aside from the impractical disposable monitor issue, sure would be a cool!

;^p
Late 2009 Unibody MacBook (modified)
2.26GHz Core 2 Duo CPU/8GB RAM/60GB SSD/500GB HDD
SuperDrive delete
SuperDrive delete
post #22 of 177
MacRonin// it was a joke, of course it's not real.
ACtually, check out this site http://www.apple-discounts.com/contest/gallery1.html they've got whole pictures of future apple product hopefuls..I must say very nicely done, some are really tempting.
post #23 of 177
Quote:
MacRonin// it was a joke, of course it's not real.
ACtually, check out this site http://www.apple-discounts.com/contest/gallery1.html they've got whole pictures of future apple product hopefuls..I must say very nicely done, some are really tempting.

I realized it was a joke

Duh

;^p

But I think it could be a very cool product as I outlined!
SuperDrive delete
SuperDrive delete
post #24 of 177
23" iMac similar to Cinema Display
Thinner,Lighter
Alu casing
Conore
Small Chin & small apple logo as well

iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

post #25 of 177
Conroe.

...and don't forget FireWire 800 this time Steve!
post #26 of 177
Quote:
Originally posted by MiMac
...and don't forget FireWire 800 this time Steve!

NGH.
post #27 of 177
Quote:
Originally posted by shanmugam
23" iMac similar to Cinema Display
Thinner,Lighter
Alu casing
Conore
Small Chin & small apple logo as well

- Why not similar to the current iMac? (Maybe add a Black One)))
I don't see a reason to make the iMac more expensive than it already has to be.
- The iMac is already as thin as it can get make it thinner and it gets in notebook-parts territory.
- Lighter than what?
- Aluminium won't make it lighter.
- Why do you always use the name Conore if you refer to Conroe?
- The chin has a function. If you are a seperate-powerbrik-and-no-speakers-fan the chin can go.
The chin mostly seems to bothers people who actually don't have an iMac.
If Apple introduces an 23"iMac the chin wouldn't look as large as it is because of the larger size of the screen.
alles sal reg kom
alles sal reg kom
post #28 of 177
Quote:
Originally posted by gar

tpyo

exactly, i bother abt the chin, i hv a Cinema display, i think seeing the screen with out any frame is great ...

yep 23" will not have much chin ...

is there any problem in telling any suggestion ???

(remember, once our own Steve told iPod sucks)

iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

post #29 of 177
Quote:
Originally posted by shanmugam
(remember, once our own Steve told iPod sucks)

that was Steve Balmer
alles sal reg kom
alles sal reg kom
post #30 of 177
I don't know about a 23-inch iMac. I was kind of hoping that some day Apple would move from a 17-inch/20-inch outlay to a 20-inch/23-inch outlay. But it hasn't happened yet. I think the next iMac will retain the same general design, although I would love it if the display had less around it. The iMac has almost become prosumer rather than consumer. It would be nice if it keeps that pace with the same general specs, and doesn't move into areas like Integrated Graphics.

The construction of the unit I don't know if Apple is going to retain the love affair with aluminum. In the past when other companies started immitating Apple's products whether by form or material, Apple changes them to remain unique. We're starting to see every notebook come in silver, and even Dell is using Aluminum in their XPS line in a similar (yet uglier) fashion to Apple.

I think the next iMac's display needs to be adjustable, and maybe even rotatable.

Also Apple needs to include some missing features in the iMac, and Firewire 800 is definitely one of them. It would be nice if the iMac had TWO Firewire 800s and one Firewire 400, or two of both. There's room for this, and I can't imagine that Apple has to make the boards bigger to accommodate Intel's latest technology. I would think that they would be able to make the boards and internal component layout smaller than ever before thus eliminating the chin.
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
post #31 of 177
Quote:
Originally posted by gar
- Why not similar to the current iMac? (Maybe add a Black One)))
I don't see a reason to make the iMac more expensive than it already has to be.
- The iMac is already as thin as it can get make it thinner and it gets in notebook-parts territory.
- Lighter than what?
- Aluminium won't make it lighter.
- The chin has a function. If you are a seperate-powerbrik-and-no-speakers-fan the chin can go.
The chin mostly seems to bothers people who actually don't have an iMac.
If Apple introduces an 23"iMac the chin wouldn't look as large as it is because of the larger size of the screen.

I agree. Someone explain to me why thin and light (approaching laptop dimensions) are necessary features for a desktop machine. No I don't want CRT sized displays but what's the point of knocking off a quater of an inch in thickness and a few ounces of weight on a desktop machine? Anyone ever heard of the law of deminishing returns?

PS I vote for conroe.
post #32 of 177
Quote:
Originally posted by unemployeed
but when?

Which comes out first Conroe or Merom

Conroe comes out first so it could be unveiled before the XMas buying season, but I would expect the Mac Mini to be a bigger XMas seller. just because it's so much more affordable.
onlooker

onlooker

post #33 of 177
Quote:
Originally posted by backtomac
explain to me why thin and light ... are necessary features for a desktop machine

They are not, nor should they be. The iMac needs to revert to a design that makes components easier to access, and when they made the current iMac design slimmer, they eliminated this ability, and it was a stupid move on Apple's part in my opinion!
post #34 of 177
Quote:
Originally posted by DHagan4755
They are not, nor should they be. The iMac needs to revert to a design that makes components easier to access, and when they made the current iMac design slimmer, they eliminated this ability, and it was a stupid move on Apple's part in my opinion!

Even though they are still somewhat difficult to access, if Apples market share goes up after Leopard (with built in bootcamp) they may be able to reintroduce the Cube as a model between the iMac, and the mini. Basically bringing the low end mini specs way down to super inexpensive more affordable level, and creating a more attractive lineup with the addition of the cube.

Actually that's not a bad idea. That low level mini could be a place to use last years processors in an inexpensive machine somewhat like how someone mentioned using a Pentium D in a Mac to make a more affordable version.
onlooker

onlooker

post #35 of 177
Quote:

*out comes the credit card*
post #36 of 177
...and only US$6,995
I heard that geeks are a dime a dozen, I just want to find out who's been passin' out the dimes
----- Fred Blassie 1964
I heard that geeks are a dime a dozen, I just want to find out who's been passin' out the dimes
----- Fred Blassie 1964
post #37 of 177
That thing sucks. Where did the computer go is right. I'd happily spend my days, and nights working on a way to get OS X to run my alienware if Apple released one of those to replace the PowerMac.
onlooker

onlooker

post #38 of 177
Quote:
Originally posted by onlooker
That thing sucks. Where did the computer go is right. I'd happily spend my days, and nights working on a way to get OS X to run my alienware if Apple released one of those to replace the PowerMac.

Like it or not, that's the way it will go "eventually".

...by the way I said "eventually"
post #39 of 177
Quote:
Originally posted by backtomac
I agree. Someone explain to me why thin and light (approaching laptop dimensions) are necessary features for a desktop machine. No I don't want CRT sized displays but what's the point of knocking off a quater of an inch in thickness and a few ounces of weight on a desktop machine? Anyone ever heard of the law of deminishing returns?

PS I vote for conroe.

Well, Apple has already shown they love diminishing returns with the Mini and to some extent with the current iMac.

I think Conroe would put Apple right in the middle of the Intel/AMD price war and create embarassing price comparisons. I vote Mermon and thin/light enclosures to prevent the comparisons, much like has been seen with the Mini.
post #40 of 177

23", less chin, top-of-the-line black model for just 200$ more....
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › The next iMac